Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/xfXAJ78m
youtube.com/watch?v=_iV9TQjJn64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw prof gave s take home exam
>tfw some guys agreed that we'd meet up and work on the thing together
>tfw i dont know physics for shit and plan on just copying
>tfw this is taking time away from gamedeving

how are you gonna write those realistic bullet mechanics without physics?

Is there any instance where a single guy make 2d platformer in 3d world (i.e: Tomba 2) and finish it?

Fuck yeah low poly!

Go blogpost in /soc/. AGDG is for progress.

why do these low poly chibi anime models always have tiny eyes / facial features

where's my big anime eyes

how does one techtonically accurate world maps?

Use actual map data.

lol too many hair layers

>Great at understanding how programming works, but 'horrible' with actual mathmatics

>Try to find a algorithm of what is needed online, but looking at the algorithm as math goes right over my head
>Have to actually sit and think for awhile to understand fully the concept Im trying to implement so I can create the algorithm myself
Its so fucking satisfying when I finally figure out what I was trying to do.
It sucks that i have to spend so much more time on shit because looking at something as pure math goes over my head, though.

Has rotate uploaded any lewds yet?

that's how I feel about this shit

almost done though. it was totally fucked before and I had to redo from scratch

if she did, they wouldn't be for you

Does anyone know if Matt is okay?

>no caps

Come on rot8, we know you want to.

no it's me
her bf

I've got a small demo ready for demo day. It's basically just the half-finished level I've been using for testing, but it's okay for showing the game mechanics / combat.

I hope the controls aren't too weird. I've gotten used to them obviously but a new player might have trouble. It's WASD movement, but you can also move diagonally with QEZC (and use X to go down instead of S if you want). I was going to use the numpad, but you also need to be able to use the mouse (for targeting / microgames) so I went with this...

Also I'm glad I made this sign object so that I can explain the controls in-game.

> have no game ideas
> everything I come up with ends up being "it's X, but different" or "it's Y, but with a tweest".

How do I just game idea

Want to maek an rpg.
Is there any cool architecture / way to manage all those stats/items/statusEffects?

Build a system that allows for a very high level of ability/effect combinatorics with little effort.

Those tend to be the most fun.

What interests you though?

hi /agdg/
are you a game developer?

I really like adventure games with a focus on exploration and puzzle solving. I've also always had a fancy for first person turn based games, like Eye of the beholder, wizardry, legend of grimrock etc.

QER
A_D
ZXC
for movement isn't the weirdest and it is used in some games. I think your sign about movement could use work.

The gap made me immediately think QEZXC were alternative controls.

>How do I gaem idea
I just make a very broad statement and keep it narrowing it down or building on parts that is not covered in the original statement.

I wanna make a SHMUP
>What type of shmup?
One where there's a shitload of bullets on screen
>What makes your danmaku different from any other danmaku?
Well I have revenge bullets and the game's mechanics and it's scoring system revolves around it instead of it just being plastered on
etc..

> I wanna make a SHMUP
> >What type of shmup?
>One where there's a shitload of bullets on screen

This part is easy for me, but once I get to the
> what makes your X game different to other games
Everything falls apart.

Just throw shit to the metaphorical wall. Write down any idea that you think is remotely okay.

Look at your remotely decent ideas and choose what you think are good elements in your ideas and make a prototype around that idea.

Prototype that idea and see if the idea is actually good or that you enjoy it. If you find out that the idea actually plays worse than you expected, note any element that you actually thought was good and throw the rest of it out the window and start over again.

Note: It's not about making the best idea but just trying to find any idea that sounds remotely good and trying it out. Not all ideas are as good as they sound on paper, not all ideas are as bad as they sound on paper either. You shouldn't go crazy trying to think about making the best unique idea.

Just make game til you hit the goldmine.

Birds

tall guy has a cool walk

shouldn't u be making progress

>what makes your X game different to other games
who cares, also theres no reason 'its better' can't be a way to be different than other games

>reformat computer
>forget to save custom VS snippets
and i just reformatted so i can't even express myself with an image
life is suffering

nm they were in my game project folder not vs :3
thanx 4 listening

What you had in your vs ?

Why doesn't this work? ;_;

functionPointerArray is a
void (**functionPointerArray)(float);

I feel so bad at programming suddenly.

p.s. I changed the name for clarity. don't mind that it says "functionPointer".

>doTheStuff
>dt
>Closurabe
Found your problems

does it work if you access it as an array?

pastebin.com/xfXAJ78m

Once you import it into VS, you can hit type pras, then hit tab, and it'll create a nice template for a variable for use with Unity. I guess the Unity editor can't see properties, but the backing variable for the property is private, so it has to be specifically marked with SerializeField. Also it surrounds the whole thing in a #region so it collapses nicely.

Try functionPointer[i](dt) for starters instead of that gay "1337 hacker" desugared syntax.

You have an array of function pointers, not a function pointer to a "contiguous array of functions". So you need to dereference twice.

*(functionPointer[i])(dt)

Have similar thing already, just without region and serialize.
And why you want SerializeField on every frield ?

Might have to shift around the parentheses, actually.

(*functionPointer[i])(dt)

ok after like 8 hours between yesterday and today I can now seamlessly switch between realtime and turnbased mode, including a complete AI rewrite now that I understand how it works. I'm sure it could be improved quite a bit but that's for another time

but it is 4am and I am too tired to make webms now, so sleep time

Added a second duck breed.

Now I need to figure out some calculations to determine how old the duck is. Then, sadly, the chances the duck will die.

Need to take duck's age, thirst, hunger into consideration.
youtube.com/watch?v=_iV9TQjJn64

Nevermind about the function pointer stuff. I had included stdafx after my header..

>And why you want SerializeField on every field?
Just to be able to see in Unity what things values are. I like the regions, otherwise each property is six lines long

That's why you post the error you get instead of "doesn't work haha :) help me code silly boys".

Sorry. I had my errors sorted the wrong way.

Still, I don't think you should be able to call one of those functions without first indexing into the array and then dereferencing the resulting function pointer.

Send halp.

Why does math have to be so hard? I just want to make a game.

The call 'references'.
if i do
int (*foo)(int);
foo=&baz; //other function
int a = foo(6);
I call baz.

So just (*(functionPointerArray+i))(dt) would work because I dereference the pointer to the function pointer and then call using the functionpointer.

>references
I swear i typed 'dereferences'.

Oh, I didn't realize you could omit the dereference when you call a function pointer.

You should really use array syntax, though.

>You should really use array syntax
I'l use whatever coding style I prefer you misogynist!
Nah you're right. I just typed it that way because used to 2D arrays being passed as void*

>Why does math have to be so hard?
But you're making a game. What math could be hard in games?

what math?
If you are programming 2d game, the only math you need is the most basic of basics.
If you are programming a 3d game, then you need advanced math.

>linear algebra and trigonometry are "advanced"

They are though. How are they not?

he's making an educational game for high school students but like most gamedevs he never passed middle school.

Lol wut.

They're only advanced if you know shit all about maths past what's forced down your throat in high school.

anything more complex than a/b is advanced IMO

Math in programming is only complicated when you get into optimization.

You can do everything else with shit tier math.

As in doing algebra for optimization purposes? Or approximations?

trigonometry is used in some 2d games.

What did you eat for breakfast before devving anons?

U-unless you think you will succeed without a healthy hearty start to your day..

Okay.

But math is useless outside of high school. Why does it have to be so hard and apply to so little? I just wanna make video games.;

Omelette on Brown bread and a cup of tea.

nothing

Nothing.

Your game is one of my favourites that gets posted.

Good breakfast too.

That only speaks true of Australians

Is that your pep-pep?

>had breakfast
>posts progress
>no breakfast
>no game

Don't make the same mistake these anons did, guys.

Pasta, the college breakfast of champions.

Considering high school education is where most people stop, I think it is fair to call it advance.

Math is easy, most math are extension of earlier math knowledge. If you failed math in the 5th grade and don't understand it, you're not going to understand high school math and so on.

I think you should consider relearning math because it is not useless at all.

Is this normal if I kinda want to sexually molest this jolly old man?

it's not like you posted a game yourself

Yards from normal user.

Homemade schnitzel with lemon and roasted potatoes. Olives on the side and a nice glass of juice.
Serious. Didn't take a picture because i had the same yesterday

he looks smooth and round his beard is properly cut and his hat matches the cardboard he is holding so yes

Nah m8 sorry.
Had a pretty bare WIP that played with delay but it's not what you're looking for.

Check out this character I made in blender!

user, don't tell me you're actually writing your game engine in a language somebody else designed and implemented.

Oh nice user. I really like the helmet. Those horns are just right.

What's that weapon-looking thing on the left?

No user of course not.
Then again, are libraries okay?

i get this joke
heh

Thanks,
Progress has gone well for the last couple weeks.
Today I've added a new duck breed (Peking)

Since there is a math topic going on, its worth mentioning that i'm adding some calculations so that the ducks act a little less robotic.

For example, currently when the thirst goes below 60 the duck will automatically go to the water and drink.

I'm looking at adding an equation that looks at how in need of water the ducks is.
For example, if the thirst is around 50 then there is a slight chance the duck will go to drinks.
The the less it is, the more chance the drink will drink.

fucking troll

>he's colorblind
Hilarious. Didn't think he'd actually get someone. Bet it's all just noise for you.

I'm thinking about putting out some sort of shoot-em-up for that upcoming jam. Already got some movement code working, but that's about it.

Thanks!

>What's that weapon-looking thing on the left?
Ah, my bad. Here's a close up at a different angle!

>Devs who work on programmer art rather than their mechanics
Why do they even try?

A video game rendered entirely using those 3d "magic eye" stereograms.

If I wanted to get the direction of something would this work?
float a = -.61;
int direction = castToInt(a/|a|)

>implying only cycles produces noisy renders an a low sample rate
fucking idiot
it's the same with most renderers