/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Accept death edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mXbTXfoloNc
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wear
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Clothing
bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2016-05-09
dwarffortresswiki.org/Utility:Lazy_Newb_Pack
youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks for making a new thread OP.

Here's a preview of the changes of the coming version, by the way.
Not many big changes. We'll see which bugs will get tackled in the coming weeks and whether they're worth mentioning.

No wait, HERE's a preview.

About adventurers picking up amputee dorfs,
the point given in previous thread that adventurers regenerate but not any whole limb.

ok

but that about those greyscale old injuries to the neck, head and back that some of my sparring dwarves got (in a prior world) and though there is healing from redscale or yellowscale severity, the last greyscale injury won't go away.
Those old greyinjury dwarves never spar again and if confronted by a real opponent try to withdraw and are probably ineffectual at combat. Since the best defense is a good offense and a lame-spirited dwarf does not melee normally.

Will those conditions, regenerate (some day if and when I try that mode-swapping trapeze act?) Abandon fort, pick up old back-injury dwarves in adventurer mode, walk outdoors, heal that bit, retire adventurer, reclaim site.
Done?

I have no fucking idea. It really sounds worth trying out though. And adding the information to the wiki would be great as well.

I do not know, whether it was warhammers only that are the underlying cause of neck/spine/head injuries that do not recover.

The version I was playing then was way old, but does it sound familiar that dorfs will not spar and you can't see why, until you scroll down the bodypart list and discover there are other parts that only show up when injured.
So the injury is lurking, not exposed to uninformed perusal.

I don't have an account on wikipedia so I unvolunteer myself.

>I do not know, whether it was warhammers only that are the underlying cause of neck/spine/head injuries that do not recover.
I don't think so. Warhammers might have a higher chance of _not killing_ while still creating nerve-damage wounds, but it's not exclusively warhammers for some hardcoded reason.

You don't need an account on the DF wiki to make edits. But if you're just lazy, I'll add the information as long as you do the research.

grey injuries are missing limbs family

>the past few threads have been "death edition"

pg 10

>Faggot drama circlejerks on the frontpage constantly
>We're fighting for our lives every hour of the day

Begone page 10

My stupid dwarves won't write a book. It's been 5 years with 2 scholars and my library is still filled with only a few gold bound copies of a 1 page manual some visitor left. They're both chemists now after studying it for years. It's a manual on fire.

So I suppose that the only mods that attempted at Pokemon are dead?

I've tried once, but alas my creation was fragile and weak.

youtube.com/watch?v=mXbTXfoloNc

Well light injuries on the verge of recovering are grey so I was thinking they would recover but then maybe there is grey and there is gray. Lots of shades of grey.

By default, no, minor injuries are kinda shit coloured

>Speardwarf(wearing a silk robe) and war dog fighting off a wild boar that has broken a hunter's leg.

My dwarf civ brings me a constant supply on preddy gud to masterful books yearly covering a massive amount of subjects

On the flipside, the humans have been bringing me the same fucking book in diferent copies and codexes yearly. Why the fuck they'd think I'm interested in 20 of the same book goes beyond me.

I guess dorfs are just superior race

What is the number that appear in parenthesis when you hove over a dwarf's profession or current job in dwarf therapist?

you can trade for books? what category are they under?

When asking for shit to the liason? No idea

But my civ tends to bring some by default. They're usually at the bottom of the trade list when trading, together with shit like parchment and instrument pieces.

They bring quite a bunch of books now. Am I correct in assuming that traders bring more of a type of good if you buy it a lot?

>hove

idk, I'm kinda a newbie. I thought it was random besides what you asked them to bring. I'll keep an eye out for books

>tfw your sick put-down gif isn't animated

>Hovering over ... will tell you ... progress towards the next skill level

from the rapist manual.

We need to make /dfg/ great again?

Make the waifufags pay for the wall!

If I had to guess, I suppose it's the numerical representation of that job. I noticed that all Construct Building jobs appear as (68) for me, so I assume that 68 means Construct Building in an array or whatever is utilized in the code

Do doors completely block miasma from passing?

They do, unless someone passes through it.

When an unit passes through a door, it will enter an "open" state. It will visually appear so and it will let through miasma (and also water, if I'm not mistaken).

Note that doors will remain open for a (very) short while after an unit has passed through it.

So basically it's just like your average real-world door: if you fart and open the door, the fart will go through it and everyone who was behind the door will get a bad thought.

Does gif-user have any plump helmet man gifs?

How much in-game time can pass before I need to get new clothes for my dwarves?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wear

I saw this article already, but how much time is it?

Do dwarves get upset at the first level of wear?

>but how much time is it?
I'm guessing the "points" the article is referring to are game ticks.
Note below how it says that items on fire experience increased wear at 10 points per tick. So at most it's 9 points per tick, and most likely just 1:1.

>Do dwarves get upset at the first level of wear?
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Clothing

>tfw people think dwarf fortress is extremely hard and tell me they don't have enough time to learn it despite my offering to teach them.

When will the "dwarf fort takes forever to learn" meme end

He looks like Patrick Rothfuss.
Things are starting to make a lot more sense now.
I'm scared.

>/ksg/ is still fairly active even after three fucking thousand threads
>/dfg/ is as ded as ever
Toady pls update again soon

How do you guys set up your workshops? Just leave them in a 3x3 room? Or 5x5 and set up stockpiles near it to make the crafter's work easier? Or just set multiple workshops on a huge room?

>DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.43.01 (May 9, 2016)

bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2016-05-09

ARMOK HEARD MY PLEA

Huge messy room

>Ability to build up new sites in adv mode, either yourself or by assigning companions
>Ability to do carpentry in adv mode
>Ability to chop down trees in adv mode
>Ability to make stone axes in adv mode
>Ability to pull branches from trees in adv mode
>Can put start conditions on work orders (by amount of resources or dependence on other work orders)
>Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders
>Can create work order from profile which is tied to specific workshop
>Can set maximum number of shops that a general work order can task at once
> Can set maximum number of general work orders per shop or disallow them by profession or altogether (note: this won't work for active old-save jobs)
>Allowed perpetual work orders
>Repeatable work orders, ability to set restart frequencies

THIS IS NOT A DRILL
MAN YOUR STATIONS
TO ARMS TO ARMS

ok guys Ive seen this memegame mentioned across the internet for what feels like forever.

one of the things that has stopped me from picking it up for a cheeky go is the obnoxious ascii-type graphics which honestly offend my eyes.

Are there any graphical mods that take away this part of the game or am I condemned to attempt to like this game despite it's artwork

yo for real? damn son where you find this

OP updated.
Any clue yet as to whether the Dwarf Therapist still works?

7 posts until this was asked. That has to be a record

There are many tilesets and some 3d visualizers. That's as good as it'll ever get.

Download the lazy newb pack
dwarffortresswiki.org/Utility:Lazy_Newb_Pack

RAW UPDATE, PRAISE THE BAYWATCHERS!

>Stopped mother from getting both her and spouse's miscarriage thought

This game is amazing isn't it

Uh this is a photo from on set filming The Hobbit, from before when the CG replaced the actual raft used with the fantasy boat? An outtake in other terms.

"There isn't much on the Dark Web"

Is eating and brewing underground plants the only way to get seeds back? Can I spin pig tails into threads and get their seeds?

I went to rename my old folder so I could drop the stuff I want to transfer over and the other pane of dolphin hadn't been refreshed so I deleted the old-named version from there. Not trashcan, delete.

I could cry.

Is it frowned upon to kill elves and steal their shit?

Would dwarves do that canonically?

Either way I don't think I will ever stop doing it, at least for the first 1-2 years.

ksg: is free...
Katawa Shoujo, "Disability Girl" a text-based menu response game about a boy meeting (especially one of) five girls at his new institution he was sent to. With pictures.
I did not know about this.

You get what you paid for, demonstrated on that one I guess and the public pretty well eats it up.

You should not type text, you should write cursive and scan it.

DO IT user.

Mill some, take the big chance

You got an operating system and user discipline issue there, no fault of what application you are using.

How long were you using that world (assuming the folder you are talking about was the whole world)?

It seems that spinning into thread does give seeds back. I was wondering why my pig tails farm wasn't being used. For some reason the pig tail name is redded out, I have enough seeds, though, so it's weird.

Merchants track the profitability of excursions to your site, I think, so they will notice they have been losing money on your place.

The time when you can do it and benefit the more is later. The time when you benefit less doing that is sooner, in my opinion and I speak from close to the summit on that graph.

Out-of-season?
Plump helmets, to get you started are Winter Spring Summer Fall but some of the other crops have seasonal restrictions as to when the thing grows. Or will not grow.

You can mange your fields for maximization by switching more to Plump Helmets during winter, or you can figure 'screw it' and devote a given field to it's feature-plant you chose or else nothing.

Some games are conceived with the graphics first in mind. The tendency is "out-of-sight = out-of-awareness."

A few games are designed on underlying concepts first, and the graphics are a whatever-afterthought. DF looks like that.

Nah, I'm in autumn, I should be able to be planting pig tails, I googled it and the red name means it can't be planted right now for some reason. Whatever

Anyway, when making clothing, can I just make an entire set of clothing rather than having to select one by one or something like that? Specially since if I want to renew my dwarves clothes, I'd need to make various of each

Also, the dwarves leave their old clothes around in their rooms, can I just tell them to burn it or something, to not let the fort become a huge dumpster?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA@AAAAAAAAHHHJHHHHHHHHHGM,VJFJF,GKXGKEGBKVDDVKDVSVKDVSFKDVDGKDGJ

are crundles worth keeping? They breed incredibly fast. I'm thinking of replacing my bunnies, wolverines, etc with them.

I was sleepy and excited because of the new version coming out. It's more that I have to find all my world-gens, interface shit, make a new version of my announcements, init/d_init/etc, get my art files set up, see if I can find an up-to-date version of my raws, etc, etc, etc.

Settled for getting a working version going for now.

Sure
They have good values if I recall and lay eggs so breeding them in the long run is good.
Though I like training EVERYTHING I can so I have legendary trainers but also lots of civ knowledge about training them
My current fort has tamed naked mole rats so I am excited for what the future holds

Oh ok. I have a few naked mole dogs as well. About 5 i think. I'll replace my dogs with them. More interesting.

I have 4 giant cave spiders but im scared of letting them loose lol.

teach me how to play Aurora sempai

tileset?

this has gotta be some of the coolest shit
I mandate more pics of my own construction and yours, for the good of the thread-tress

Can someone explain me this work orders feature?

Goddammit Toady, he made it so you can't travel while flying and can't compose shit while hanging off of walls so that isn't a viable way to get out of caverns anymore.

>
The planting season ends on some date since the pigtails will not have enough time to grow before Winter. though.
You could keep a log of which day that hits from year to year (like ancient Sumerian priests did, they were obsessive about record keeping and look what they found out) and then consider that log when it has 14 years of entries.

Clothes, oh just make a lot.

Stray clothes, the wiki says if you put a cabinet (I would use rock) in the dwarf's bedroom they will put their clothes in there, they put away their clothes about as promptly as the time frame in which a gestating infant sheds his placenta.

Did you use it before?
The advantage of the old work order system was (I thought) that an order would persist if it were thwarted. I often used it to turn out 30 boozes if barrels had run low, for example when a barrel gets empty the work order keeps trying to start a still brewing until that WO quantity were satisfied.

I do not know but reading posts ITT there are more work order features, repetition under time directives, singleshop specification and more.

The dwarf a manager 'validates' the work orders, and gains Organizer skill which you can place as Captain of the Guard to increase or improve sparring bouts.

Oh, it's about the managers, I think I got it, that seems to be a good idea, actually

is it just my bad design, or is making a tavern in your first year a really bad idea for your booze stock?
I never had such a big influx of visitors since I mainly played on young worlds, but those performers drain my storage

now with festivals, are there going to be sports festivals too? like, the dwarfen cup of kick the gob head?

so, how fast can you build? is it possible to do mid battle while chased by bogeys?

Not him but definitely not.
Just chopping down one tree takes a while.
and building sites takes a fair bit of time too

I want to build a well, but I'm scared that I will end up flooding my fortress

either way its p liberating to see myself pick up those damn waterlogged willows up from the river

IM LATE FOR PARTY BUT FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES ANYWAY.

> comes back from a game
> checks /dfg/
Wait what?
What the fuck, i don't remember seeing this screen anywhere. Is this a hoax?
... Is it out?

> checks

ALERT
THE
INTERNET

Hmmm, we can cut trees now, and you can also grab branches which can be used for shit like axes, neat!

It takes a while per log but you can in fact slap constructions onto the side of a sheer wall. I don't think it checks if you can fly but I can incidentally.

This took 46 hours to do a basic face of armok layout, can't do the eyes/mouth yet without advfort but hey, pretty fucking cool nonetheless!

aaand crash, while trying to make a mainhall zone layout of the new crib. Time to take extra things with me on the second trip

Builders beware! something went fuzzy with my designation, maybe forgot a certain step with the zone layout, save often!

how would that even happen?

How long until someone sets up a slave labor camp where they just have companions work while they oversee everything?

well, that's interesting.

Huh, what did you do?

I made a zone just now, assigned a location to it as a main hall, then claimed the site and can retire there now.

as a animal training nerd heres a few pointers
Dogs>Naked moles
Training level of + or higher is good enough to keep in an area
keep several rooms for animal training and seperate by species then training. You want to start breeding animals once they are ≡ or Masterwork, once that level the babies will retain that level and when trained will become tame (meaning you never have to train them again)
One day ill find out how domestication works. One day

Iunno all I know is that I'm going to try it again tomorrow, want to settle a few more things with the old fort like making proper backpacks for the (performer) companion

> iron based webber

youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

>fuckton of dorf bandits in a hamlet
>rush in to rescue the poor humie they were about to mug
>punch the heads off a couple
>disarm a few others, chucking their weapons at their running friends
>out of convenient stuff to toss
>notice I'm standing on a head
>tfw this happens

> crashes when i put down a minecart

> didn't save fortress

> error log reveals NOTHING
aaand BACK to Factorio until this gets patched.
fug.

You mean, play fort mode?

Except with your specific character controlling their lives directly.

Speaking of fort mode, you CAN embark on top of an adventurer camp, but you should NOT do so because you can't build with the adventurer interface there any longer once there is an active site in place.

Glad I used a copy of the save to test this.