/evn/ - Authentic Teenage Dialogue edition

Discussion about the making or playing of English Language Visual Novels, save for the ones from /ksg/, or games released originally in Japanese.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4iqzmj/magic_matchup_a_fully_english_voiced_small/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

boo

hello friends

hi there fellow /evn/ing

We can do it.

No we can't. We can't do anything. That's why we're here.

We can, and we will. That's exactly why we're here.

Nah, I used to think like you. You just need to go deeper. Get depressed to the point it turns into anger:

"Damn you, vomit-inducing cesspool known as /evn/! I'm going to make the best VN ever by doing exactly the opposite you penisheads say!"

Once you accomplish that state of mind, you'll work every day like a madman.

mad person of indeterminate gender

Any new kickstarters on the horizon?

Deji's. Caramel Mocciato or something like that.

LIKE THE DARKNESS IN MY HEART!!!

Go on. Date a goth. Open them up to the joy and wonder of the world.

Being with me would make them actually suicidal and not just suicidal looking attention seekers.

Aw, don't say that.
Maybe it would make them homicidal instead.

Give her the P.

[x] show her my dick

Give dem the cash.
I don't want no trouble.

I'm looking, but I still can't see it. Is it invisible?

The pussy?

No, it's non-existent

Aww. Let me kiss it and make it better.

The potion.

EVN making its own Recettear when?

So it begins...
My journey to making a short VN.

It'll be shit.

Is it better to release a VN for free or charge money, if it's high enough quality for that?

At least it'll be released

>if it's high enough quality for that?

If you need to ask it belongs in the trash.

I meant theoretically.

Clearly it's always better to release a VN for free.
I don't want to be spending money on high quality VN. Save that shit for low quality VN. This is actually good. Why would you want to charge money? To cock block me from playing? For profit? You don't fucking need shit. Just release it for free like a good dev.

But will it get more attention if it's free or if it's commercial?

If it's free, obviously. There's nothing to complain about a FREE game. If has a price tags, fuckers will be all "This isn't worth 100$, worst game ever"

But won't people think it's low quality shit because it's free and avoid it?

Look at Lucid9 on Steam.

Only a dumbass would pass up a free game.
Those people aren't people you want to pander to.

There's tons of free games, who would want to play every single one?

Someone who isn't a dumbass. Besides, even if a game is free, doesn't mean you don't need to do marketing. If you want people to read your shit, get people to read your shit.

>lucid9 is free

fools...

But it is. Steam says so.

Do you really think you can't even get people to play your game for free? Is your art absolute trash?

The same can be said about games that have a price tag. You need to do everything in your power to convince them it isn't.

But on this note, I'd rather you sell your game. Why do so many people opt to not sell their game? I feel like they are potentially damaging our market.

People want to give back to their community who pirated VNs at no cost. If you put a price tag, you're on the wrong side of the community. If you want me to support you, just put a pay whatever the hell I want.

What is this? Looks good. Authentic anime style art.

Play it and find out.

>“Lucid9 – Inciting Incident really is a gem amongst OELVNs, and I believe it has a chance to stand alongside some other big-name visual novels currently available in English[...]”
>9/10 – Gamerscape
So what are "some other big-name visual novels currently available in English"?

This. Why would someone pay for your shitty game when they can easily pirate a professional-quality Japanese one?

Part 1 is free. The other parts might still end up costing money. Have you learned nothing from Sunrider? The first hit is free to get you hooked.

>Part 1
Fuck multi-part VNs, I hate this trend.

If people were willing to not shit on full games at their full price, then there wouldn't be a need for multi-part. But nah, the Steam Community is fucking cancer, so that doesn't work out at all.

It should just be for free, obviously.

Sales tend to drop off for later installments anyway.

It's also not just about what buyers are willing to pay, it can be because the game still isn't finished and the devs need the money from the earlier parts to continue the story. This can end badly when they don't get enough to complete it, or loss the staff necessary to do so.

The problem with multi-parts is they often get left hanging or it takes a long time for the next part to be released. Besides, it's not fun to only play a partial VN, I like it all in one.

This, who else is joining our free brigade on Steam?

Those devs sound like scum shitters.
This is why we need to return to our traditional roots.

im going to release a multipart evn over the course of a year and there's not going to be any stopping me

even if i only sell two copies and one gets refunded, i will make my game.

i 100% believe in myself

There ain't nothing wrong with that.

Just make in all in one you piece of shit. If you can't even use capital letters there's no way your game will be any good anyway.

i have to hide my identity

there are too good of developers here

>takes a long time for the next part to be released

Sakura Fantasy Chapter 2 and The Reject Demon Toko Chapter 1 when?

Are there any really long evns?

How do you guys make good trailers for evns?

There's not much to show, so it's like just certain scenes that hook people, I guess? Preview of music perhaps. Maybe even some CGs to really attract those people who like art.

Music and slides of random dialogue and scenes, and flash by some info about what kind of game it will be.

Don't you guys ever think EVNs are weird? It's like you took out the interaction part of games and focused on only that without the whole gameplay part. It's like an incomplete medium, it's so awkward. It would be majorly better if you just did gameplay really.

Only EVNs? Japanese VNs are different?

b8/8 made me reply

That's just what makes up a trailer though. What makes a good trailer?

Good editing, good art, good premise.

How do I become a good editor? I'm not very good at constructive feedback since if it looks good, then it seems fine enough.

Practice, and watch successful trailers to take note of what they do right and emulate it.

>regular edition is pay what you want
>enhanced edition adds extra character routes, fanservice events etc and costs some money
>the idea being that if you liked the game you can support it and get some new content too
Is this a decent plan? I don't really expect to make any money at all but happy merchant ancestors are calling to me through the ages.

>>enhanced edition adds extra character routes, fanservice events etc and costs some money
It depends, will you be really missing out if you don't get this or will the regular edition be an enjoyable and complete on its own? It really depends on this. You also need to hit that sweet spot of adding enough content that it's worth paying for but not so much that people will be pissed you didn't just include it in the normal game.

That's a legit terrible idea.
You're supposed to do what the nips do and make the extra routes and fanservice events a whole new VN itself.
This means they should both just be free.
Paying for fanservice? You like prostitution, user?

Yeah, that sounds good. If I liked the main one, I would definitely want to buy the next one to support you or just because it really is good.

at this point the "pay what you want" version is basically just a demo

also by charging a set dollar amount for the "full game" you are basically removing the chance that people will pay more than that for the PWYW version

idk I don't see the point

Yeah picking the rght amount of content is going to be tricky. I was thinking the actual story line with everything resolved and stuff, 1 romance route and friendship routes for the rest of the characters for the free version, and more SoL "the crew is hanging out together" stuff plus romance subroutes for the remaining main cast members in the "enhanced".
>prostitution
hell yeah I'd sell my daughterus to faceless old men for a quick buck
Eh, I just want people to play it mostly. I see the point about no one paying for the free version if there's a better one available, but t b h if I don't think people will shell out money for a game from a no-name dev (and obviously I'll try to make it look as good as possible, but there is a good chance it will still be average at best), yet I still want it to be read.

page 10

ayyy

Mockup for the demo. I don't really have any room to change things at this point, but I'm still open to suggestions so I can improve in the future. Text is obviously memes.

Looking nice. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit unappealing when choices are that large and obscure that much of the sprite and background, especially when they lack opacity like the choice you have selected.
Who's the artist for that background?

Thanks! Dao is the background artist, they have a thread on lemma right now. I agree with you also, it really does obscure the art. I wasn't sure if it would be all that much of a big deal since the choices are up fairly infrequently, but since you mentioned it I'll look into what I can do about that.

What will happen if there will be 4 choices ?

I'd need to reposition things for sure, and it may look a bit cluttered. I'll most likely just avoid having four, the GUI was designed with three in mind.

Not yet.

Or maybe just remove the sprites during the choices?

I like that idea, I'll give it a try and see how it feels.

Do we really need to post gayshit to stay alive ?

No. You can post progress.

Look at the time gap between that and the post before it. The answer is clearly yes.

If you'd rather, have some minor reddit drama:

reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4iqzmj/magic_matchup_a_fully_english_voiced_small/

>"Please comment on my game! But only if you've paid for and played the full game, or your opinion isn't valid."

No progress here.
no project either
At this point I would kill for an idea guy with finished concept, without blank spaces.

I was reading that earlier, had a good laugh out of it.

i have more ideas than I'll ever have time to complete :(

Played his demo, shit is soulless and tedious.

there is difference between an "idea" and "finished concept"

>the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive!
>by that I mean no one wrote a disparaging review on newgrounds

Why should he give a shit about any of that when he's making bank on SEVERAL patreons?

Why is the bar for success set so low, yet at the same time feels so elusive?

I have a 200k words script done and an additional 50k words file containing barebone descriptions of the remaining scenes. I can also program in java.

Are you capable of providing top tier sprite artists, bg artists, music and are you willing to accept me having the final saying on what goes on the final version of the game?

what's it about