/bbg/ - Bloodborne General

Arcane edition, for all the space wizards out there.

Woke up and forgot everything: >Patch 1.09 Info
jp.playstation.com/op/bloodborne/news/2015/12/update109.html

>Accessing the DLC
bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/09/the-old-hunters.html
Note: If the eye isn't showing up, go to: Settings > Playstation Network/Account Management > Restore Licenses

>Co-Op & PvP
bloodbell.com/
Official PvP Chalice: hizzngr3 (Pthumeru Root)
/bbg/ Fight Club:
Pthumeru - n6rc9jh8
Loran - jjpkdcgd
Isz - 9v8qndas
(every Saturday 6pm EST, general rules:imgur.com/1RjNbF4)

>Resources Pastebin - Planners, Calculators, Spreadsheets, Stats Info, Where to go next in BB, Guide Scans & Wikis
pastebin.com/aNR8TXUr

>Chalice Pastebin - General Info, Glyphs for Gems, Best Gems Setups, Multiplayer & Speedrunning
pastebin.com/489M5NBv

>Media Pastebin - OSTs, Concept Art & Screenshots
pastebin.com/t8byCxfj

>Beasthood & Claws Info
pastebin.com/jnbs35ZX

>Wheel, Fight Club, Arc 101 & other Misc. Info
ssjnugget.imgur.com

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Wheel

>Despite every weapon having a unique moveset, Bloodborne has no real variety and your playstyle doesn't change no matter which weapon you use
I see this meme posted a lot on /dsg/
Can anyone explain this?

reposting here, need help with Laurence. BL108 password is kosm. Many thanks.

Pizza cutter > wheel

Post your hunter's face m8s

Pizza cutter is ez mode for scrubs

>not wanting to chainsaw everything to death

Why do you even play video games?

You can't meaningfully play as a poise tank, shield tank, or pure wizard. You're stuck with an agile melee character, with maybe a bit of ranged support or utility in the form of guns/arcane tools. Going pure guns or something is possible, but gimmicky and weak enough that it's basically a challenge run if you complete the game like that.

That being said, the variety in Bloodborne for "agile melee" is top-notch. As somebody who basically always plays fast-rolling melee characters in Souls games, Bloodborne provides the most variety in how I can tackle that archetype of any game.

To press more than one button.

>or pure wizard
Yes you can, pure wizards in Bloodborne are way better than pure wizards in Souls games.

Mustards parroting the same memes since release. There's still some of them talking about "endless loading times".

You have to bare in mind in order to set yourself up for a pure Tools build you need to play most of the game with a melee weapon, and to the people who think that BB lacks variety in the first place this means that you effectively can't play it.

Their opinion isn't worth concerning yourself with, in short.

But poise and shield tanks are barely viable in souls games themselves except for pve and bloodborne has some pretty good magic options
I thought the variety of play styles in those games was tied to weapon types and everyone should be trying to fast roll anyway since mid/fat rolling is shit and gets you backstabbed every match.

Only if you're an R1 spamming faggot who doesn't understand weapons have different strengths

Pure Strength demands more End and aggressiveness, Pure Skill demands much, much more agility, you can mix Bloodtinge/Strength/Skill with cannon/evelyn to weaken defenses before you go in for the skill, you can mix arcane into them, too, or go pure wizard and get a weapon dedicated to you with a dedicated magic attack. There's a hell of a lot of variety in Bloodborne and I'd almost say it WANTS mixed builds instead of pure anything. You can go pure BLT like that Clint Eastwood guy and spam evelyn/reiter if you've the balls.

Options in Dark Souls seem basically the game only you can turtle behind a shield instead of learning to perfect dodges which BB forces you to do and adapt a style to.

I don't really agree with it, but I imagine that's the reasoning behind their opinions.

And there really is no pure mage in the sense that there is in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 3. In those games, if you run a pure mage, you don't use weapon at all, since you're going to be using kris blade or scholar's candlestick to boost your spell damage. In Bloodborne (and also DkS1 and 2) not using a magic/arcane-scaling melee weapon is basically just gimping yourself.

In Demon's/Dark Souls not using a melee weapon is also gimping yourself.

Molotovs scale with arcane. You can get the flamespayer really early via Gilbert or a little later with the Radiant Sword Hunter badge.

Arcane is harder to do, but it has many options.

Actually, Demon's souls was the only game where it was perfectly viable to go pure mage and spam spells against everything, but that's only because you could stack 99 old spices to recover mana, there was a bunch of equipment boosting magic damage and soul ray had a lot of tracking, fast casting time and high damage.
In every other game you need a melee weapon, in daS3 especially so because sorcery is so goddamn weak in the early game

Congrats, my man! Glad to help with the Hamlet, that place really is a Nightmare.

Even in DeS there's absolutely no reason not to get a sword to stunlock, backstab or riposte enemies, no matter how much int you have.
The "if you don't use weapons in BB you're gimping yourself" makes zero sense if you're comparing it to the other games.

yeah, mages usually kept a crescent falchion or estoc in their second slot anyway

The fact that we did the lanterns, well, sprinted through everything back to the hut and marched down on orphan was fucking awesome. Thanks for making that place enjoyable and showing me around. Now I just need to kill brador for his set and weapon for that trophy, kill Laurence, and get the other 2 endings to be 100% done with the trophies.

Brador won't drop his set if you kill him in his cell, you have to kill his phantom in every area where he invades.

I got an 8% fire triangle gem instead of the 10% radial gem listed in the arcane 101. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? If I seriously have to farm this early in my arcane build I'm dropping it.

>Even in DeS there's absolutely no reason not to get a sword to stunlock, backstab or riposte enemies

Kris Blade uses up a weapon slot. I know that it's technically a weapon, but you don't use it for its melee damage, you use it for its spell damage boost, and occasionally to backstab with.

It's entirely feasible in DeS to make a build that uses only a catalyst and the Kris Blade and never uses anything else, and it works great in both PvP and PvE.

You can also make a build that uses crescent or moon weapons in conjunction with spells (or even blessed weapons with a Talisman of Beasts faith-mage). That's a fine build, but it wasn't the only way to play a caster, and you weren't gimping yourself by refusing to use a good melee weapon.

He does actually, you can kill him before he first spawns and his drops are in the areas he would spawn on.

Noise, post whole face

So was Willem right?

are u that trap that shows up in fcs?

am I famous

>Nishimura is the actual First Admin of image boards

pottery

About what?

Yes. I do not know why you need to ask this question. Compare the Healing Church's achievements to Byrgenwerth's. Compare how Laurence ended up to how Willem does.

>Compare how Laurence ended up to how Willem does
They both become crazy monsters.

do you still want help?

In what way does Willem become a crazy monster? Are you confusing Willem for Rom?

And, if so, in what way is Rom crazy?

>Compare the Healing Church's achievements to Byrgenwerth's
Both are ruined.
>Compare how Laurence ended up to how Willem does
Both are miserable.

Nice hat

Both dead after witnessing the world descend into horror?

None of the beards in this game look real. They all look like they're held on by strings.

>Bone Marrow Ash doesn't combine shotgun's pellets into a single powerful shot like it does with Gehrman's gun.

I mean the guy with fungi growing on his back who can only communicate through grunts.

Cleric Beasts. Amelia. Laurence. Ludwig. BSB. The One Reborn. Mindless beasts who serve no purpose other than to destroy.

Compare to Rom, who wielded enough power even as an infant to cast a veil over reality and hold back the Blood Moon itself. Compare to the fact that it's by following Willem's teachings that the Good Hunter can ascend to slughood.

I can't tell if you guys are retarded or just pretending to be.

>cast a veil over reality and hold back the Blood Moon itself
>ascend to slughood
That's not desirable at all.

Nothing about Yharnam is desirable. This doesn't change the fact Willem was right.

Old people aren't crazy monsters, user

Right about what?
He wanted to discover the eldritch truth, he ended up insane and permanently cursed.
He never did anything right.

Wasn't really his idea to use umbilical cords.

Normal old people don't look like this

>Willem's teachings that the Good Hunter can ascend to slughood.

Laurence and Gehrman were the ones who had the bright idea to use umbilical cords in the first place.

Still a better fate than turning into a monster. Also, he's just senile, not crazy. The fact that he points to the lake for you shows that he can still reason that you're a hunter and he knows what you came for. Also Willem has insight out the ass, hence the rune he drops.

Willem's teachings were that use of the Old Blood would lead to the downfall of humanity. It is because of using the Old Blood that Old Yharnam happened and the rest of Yharnam is currently in the shit. It's also through use of the Old Blood that every buried civilisation we go to (Pthumeru, Loran, etc.) fell to ruin. On this point Willem was right.

Willem taught that it was through knowledge, insight, and eyes on the inside that true ascension could be gained. Rom is the only human-turned-Great One and Rom ascended through insight and eyes. The Good Hunter ascends from human to Great One through gaining eyes on the inside. On this Willem was right.

>Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes. The only choice, he knew, if man were to ever match Their greatness.
>Use to gain Insight and, so they say, eyes on the inside, although no one remembers what that truly entails.

You think to betray me?

>Still a better fate than turning into a monster
He is a monster. That's not how humans look like.
>Willem has insight out the ass
Insight drives people mad.
"Most tomb prospectors, members of the Healing Church chosen to explore the old labyrinth, are unable to withstand the weight of the old knowledge, and go mad."
It even reduces your frenzy resistance.

Nigger's got kin tentacles growing out of his back. That still doesn't make him a crazy monster.

He also has slimy gray skin.
How are kins not monsters?

Gain all the insight you want, it won't do shit in the end but let you know a little more and lose your mind in the process. Ascension required the cords specifically, something he did not know.

Also same blood as kin.

A monster is something that causes terror, most often because it is truly to be feared.

An old man in a chair is not a monster just because he's half-sluf, and the fact he's old as fuck and isn't too chatty doesn't make him crazy.

Why do we have so many Church apologists around tonight?

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monster
>a strange or horrible imaginary creature

>Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes.
>Use to gain Insight and, so they say, eyes on the inside

Did you just not read this part or something? Willem knew before any of you blood injecting faggots knew.

It doesn't mean much considering that he's the cause of the Old Blood and the downfall of Yharnam.
Because of his massacre in the Fishing Hamlet his descendants (the Healing Church and the hunters) were cursed with eternal bloodlust, which is why they started using Old Blood in the first place.

Considering the very same game revels in monster madness in the early game, some fungi on a back is not monstrous in the same way the cleric beast is. That's what i'm saying. Monsters have a worldwide tradition of being blood lust driven creatures.

>Insight drives people mad.
Was he mad? When we meet him, he may be withered, but he seems like he still has persistence to stay alive. He still keeps watch of Burger town, he still has the sense of identity to choose to don his robes every day. No, too much insight drives people mad. But the game never implies that he had an infinite amount of insight, just enough to be able to deal with kin.

>It's daddy's fault that I spread cursed blood everywhere despite the fact that he told me a thousand times to cut it out

Stop making excuses, Laurence. It's the Old Blood that's cursed. It's the Healing Church being massive faggots that made them decide to use it.

Didn't read that, no.

Why are the prices at the bath messenger going up?

Jews.

If I'm partway through the game and buy the DLC is it available for immediate use or is a new game needed in order to play it?

You can access it whenever you beat Vicar Amelia.

They increase as you progress through the game so that the increased amount of echoes you're earning doesn't totally trivialize the price of consumable items.

They mention the gods now and then. Any info on the religion of Yharnam? I'm not sure if Willem was referring to the celestial beings or not when he said it. Not even sure if the average Yharnamite was aware of their discovery but I doubt it.

Are summons still around for OoK? Considering buying PS+ for a month just so I can get someone to help me kill this babby.

I've already beaten him solo, but it's a lot easier with a STR/SKL character than it is with a 70 ARC spesswizz,

>flamesprayer on ARC
>mfw dissolved Rom before it got a chance to change phases and in less that 15 seconds.

It's a pity that it becomes pretty useless late game and is completely worthless for the DLC.

A fire weapon with story gems and Holy Moonlight Beams and Augur backstabs are more than enough to see you through the fight if you can beat him with a Str character.

It seemed to me that they worshiped the amygdalans, given how ubiquitous they are in the statues and iconography of all the 'church' architecture.

As a pure wizard in souls games I can instant kill nearly every enemy I encounter with one spell and take massive chunks out of boss health bars and not even be low on resources.
I can also use magic as my main weapon immediately instead of having to go through half the game to get set up.

>Paarl one-hit killing me
alrighty then

Is Paarl the boss you're supposed to fight after blood starved beast?

I'd say it's a heavily mythologized and distorted worship of the Great Ones. The Amygdalae are everywhere in carvings, as are celestial children and Oedon has a whole church grounds dedicated to its name.

It's be like finding out that the heavily mythologized Yahweh was some kind of Oedon-like formless intelligence, angels are Amygdalae and Jesus was some sort of Kin.

You can.
Are you supposed to? Probably not. The entire gimmick with the Goal is that you're being kidnapped and dragged into an area you're too low a level to reasonably do.

>tfw you get dragged into the best grinding area in the first half of the game
"""oh no"""

the Moon Presence keeps killing me, how do i deal with his blood orbs that blow up? just keep avoiding and coming in to attack? i havent dropped him below 50% i think

>the best grinding area in the first half of the game
That's not how you spell lecture hall

It not being ridiculously overpowered and boring is part of what makes it better.

>Healing Church apologists
kek

You're right though user

Using blacksky eye just feels like shooting a gun.
Augur of Ebrietas is a shitty parry with potential for knockdown and backstab chain cheese.
Then there's a bunch of other trash that's not worth using because of bullet costs (in PvE anyway)
EXPLODING STAR NUKE HAHAHA

Okay.

EG is solid in PvE

I just got to the forest
when am I going to find some stylish clothes?

All the clothes are stylish.
But you've probably already missed some, unless you just have really specific tastes or really high standards.

so do they add blood to their tea and shit?

Don't be ridiculous.

They add the tea to their blood.

the cutest and best.