/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 Tournament is ongoing until May 22: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/overview.html
>/rlg/ teams:
WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIIIEEET: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/heterosexualmale.html (MuMo, OPEN)
Algerian Curse Removal Ltd.: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/nikheizen.html (Regular, FULL)

Consider making another clan! Anyone can be captain.

Crawl 0.18 release: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-18-pakellass-packrats

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12455.0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bear is best pet

Why are you even playing Elona if you don't take the little girl?

because little girls are bottom of the barrel kind of annoying. Bears are true pets and companions.

Is it even possible to play a pure caster in Crawl? I always end up getting fucking destroyed but melee is incredibly easy.

Yes.
I've ascended several pure casters.
Or did they change something radically in nuCrawl?

There're enemies who make pure caster unviable (ghost moths, mana vipers, -wiz demonspawn). Even if you're godlike you'll have to rely on non-magic means of breaking through.

This one's for you, Akarin poster.
First time getting a 3-streak and first time winning under 50k turns for me.

Especially ghost moths and Mennas are retarded, the game has so many indirect ways to fuck over casters that they shouldn't put in direct "fuck you" methods in.

Why hello there.

>ghost of a grey draconian berserker with a vampiric battleaxe and 6 ticks of EV and 4 of AC
>on lair 6

I am very confused. How exactly do you die in that situation? Did he try to kill a hydra?

Tiktacy, if you are here, how? How did that even happen? You didn't kill me, I'm just very confused.

I checked the TV, and he got petrified by a Catoblepas, taken to half health from the Cato and a Komodo, then at that point he was too hungry to go berserk, and too dumb to step back and let bros handle it while regen-ing from Hand.

Calcifying dust isn't a gas effect? That's interesting. I figured grey draconians would be immune to it, like they are to poison and mephitic clouds.

Well, some people are so faulty I just don't understand it. How do you even make it to Lair with the new OoD spawning system and deeper lair? Luck?

You don't get petrified from the inside out.

I just say dunkey's video on pax and FlintHook looks like an amazing new roguelike!!!

>try and wait 200 million turns for the end of the world message
>this

Well, what did you think it would look like?

Some actual text, maybe.

It's more like standing in a fire/freezing cloud mechanically.

The game is not that much harder early. Most of the added difficulty is in depths.

Yeah the enemies get a pretty big spike in terms of damage, e.g spark wasps, caustic shrikes, deep troll hordes, and dragons.

Ah, the wonders of D:6 torment

I'll quaf invis and might and see if that's enough not to splat

You should have less health so torment does less damage.

I'd forgotten he can see invis but at least Might was enough to kill him in 2 hits

Should've just hidden behind that wall and waited for him to move up.

It specifically has no special message to avoid dumb players trying to do it on webtiles.

Haha oh wow

You better net and run to those stairs.

is the hat of thranduil super common or what

i feel like i find it early on on almost every pcb character and end up wearing it for at least 10-20 levels because telepathy

Why aren't your scrolls or pots ID'd you stupid sack of shit, huh?
Fuck you.

Mmm, all that free xp

It kinda is for some reason.
Whoa! Anger!

Does anyone else feel that the 0.18 offline version is too unstable? The game's crashed twice in the last hour or so whereas I can't recall 0.17 ever crashing

And again

My first win was as a DEWz and I think a pure caster is generally fairly easy. I don't see how these enemies make a caster "unviable". you can easily get off a couple OoD's at a ghost moth before it drains your mana, and Mennas's silence is temporary. That said, I'm not sure what "pure caster" means - I assume it means all points in INT and armour in the robes -mottled DA range. If it means not investing in any weapon skills, I think that's just generally a bad idea.

Not a single sorcerer or knight yet which means they're probably all crammed into the end vault

This is going to get nasty FAST

Fuck the devs Orc was fine

>Fuck the devs Orc was fine
It really was.

yeah 2 levels of no xp and one dangerous enemy every 5 runs was so good

>not worshipping trog

>not worshiping nemelex

>not worshipping chei

this. shit like stone giants shows up once in a while, making it too dangerous to go in before lair, but after lair it was just tabbing through 3 levels. it was pointless

>every lategame enemy is resistant against evocations
>no rod of shadows in the game
fuck this shit

>resistant against evocations
uwot

high ac = rIronrod
non-zero ev =rInacc
undead/demon = partial rClouds (pois, cold, draining become useless. acid/storm still good tho)

ignition and lightning rod are more about aoe than single target so they are worse against high-hp shit in the lategame

acidwand/bob stronk of course but even pak can't use acid as primary attack

can pak recharge bobs

no pak cant recharge bob or sack of spiders

in trunk he used to just keep giving them to you infinitely though, my first pak win emptied out like 3 bobs at the D:1 stairs

>+9 blowgun of speed
OH BABY

wow right in the feels
everything changed when the fire nation taught user to hold R-bumper while messing up Mario's face

>playing DCSS

>-2
Ouch
Well there's still a unidentified artifact ring on Lair that may have rPois

Is the shield of gong op or weak?

It's mostly not worth the risk until endgame when you don't have to worry about alerting monsters anyways

Anyone tried the overmap rebalancing mod in DDA?
It seems pretty solid on paper.

smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12455.0

It's meh, the reduced EV makes you more vulnerable to heavy hitters that you can't block at all (like fucking crystal spear) and it generates a ton of noise so when you're out in the open like in the Depths or something you'll be attracting caustic shrikes and other nasties that will rip you apart.

I'm not sure about wearing this for spider but the other will make shoals much easier. Thoughts?

ENCHANT YOUR FUCKING GEAR

B-but everything's already at maximum user. Ogres aren't swimming on aux gear

I was just wearing a -2 hat for rPois, and I'm still torn between that and the ring's *Confuse

>using a morningstar+shield and not a GSC
What kind of ogre are you?

One with a whooping 7 AC

No need for armor if you smash everything

>crystal spear unblockable
wrong

try corrosive bolt though

It has irresistible damage.

Did they change LCS being unblockable?

Shield of gong with an amulet of reflection is hillarious and everyone should try it

yes it has irresistible damage
there is no rEarth like there is rF or rC
drinking a potion of resistance doesn't do anything to LCS

but you can still block it, dodge it, or absorb some of the damage with AC

irresistible doesn't mean unavoidable

Wait AC reduces spells?

yes

except a specific few like Ozo's Fridge, maybe pain, and of course torment/hellfire

>hellfire
It's damnation now.

The actual cause of death is that I got too tab-happy until a emperor scorpion showed up and kicked my shit HARD

Also, nobody actually told me whether to wear the ring or not, though apparently even rPois and regen wasn't much help against the scorpion

you mean dangnation

Oh and Okawaru never gave me armor, just a bunch of robes and animal skins. Do his gifts take Armor skill into account or was that shitty RNG?

But it gave you oodles of dosh and a chance to find more shops on the upper levels. Now you get less dosh and less shops

How'd this even happen?

And I got lucky with my Cure Mut.

That makes no sense.

306868 Goiliude the Imperceptible (level 21, 0/141 (144) HPs)
Began as a Kobold Assassin on May 9, 2016.
Was the Champion of Pakellas.
Slain by a water elemental (1 damage)
... on level 3 of the Depths on May 10, 2016.
The game lasted 03:02:26 (48573 turns).

Unfortunately I died to an unexpected mummy vault in the Depths and got swarmed with Death scarabs and torment. The water elemental was just the one that finished me off.

One of those shits step on a tele trap maybe?

Now how come 'I' never land inside one of those vaults when I try to tele?

I think it's because all of the high-level demon monsters use it.

That still makes no sense. Damnation is a word, it has a meaning. Throwing bursts of fire at the player does not fit that meaning, not even remotely.

>Damnation (from Latin damnatio) is the concept of divine punishment and torment in an afterlife for actions committed on Earth
Satan (demonic monsters) punish people for being bad so I guess that's why they used it like that.

it's because hellfire never actually had anything to do with fire or fire resistance

I don't know what dictionary you pulled that out of but the ones I've looked at all define it more along the lines of the act of damning someone. Again, throwing demonic fire at them doesn't fit with this. A better example is the card formerly known as Damnation, which sent monsters to the abyss. While not exact, it's far closer.

Call it hellburst or something then. The spell formerly known as hellfire has nothing to do with condemning someone to eternal punishment, perhaps beyond the fact that it can kill you but if that's the stance they're taking then every damage dealing spell or action could fall under the same heading.

>DDAr
>fun as fuck
>D:15
>no mana, no charges, only a powerful rod {god gift}

How do you manage mana and charges? Having a proper weapon on DDAr and not relying on your main damage-output seems relevant, but having 27 skill in Evocations at D:15 is too much fun.
How should I sort my skills? Need I weapons? Which ones would be best?

I used a chaos dagger for most of the part, and a medium shield. Almost no evasion, 25< AC and SH for the most part.

were you spending your maxmp on wand charges or some shit

just do pakellas and only use the god ability for charging

you can't use wands as a primary offense, have some melee skill for killing chumps

elaboration: spending maxmp on healwounds charges is good
using it on other shit is dumb
just take the first good axe you find, since dwarfs have a better apt for those

You just have to manage it intelligently. My most successful DDs of Pakellas used the MP to power the healing wand and only using the max MP recharge in emergencies. You still need a good melee weapon and skills.

The Evokations helps a lot if you get a good rod. But you still need fallback skills.

You aren't supposed to use wands for *everything*. Wands are just a nice and flexible sidearm that can emulate Hexes and Conjurations training and LMAO DISC OF STORMS

If you want to use evocables for everything go Nemelex

I didn't get one scroll of recharge. I used it for the most part. Found the Paki at D:8, by then I was out, due to Racial and heal wands. I also didn't get mana potions either, so that was a bust.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation
Straight from the Wikipedia page.

Well, that was my mistake. I realized way too late.
My next run will be more thought-out and cautious.

if you ever recharged a non-HW wand with something other than the Pak ability you fucked up

scrolls of recharge are best saved for rods unless you're pre-Pak and you need dem heals

also seriously just play a DDFi of pak instead

Spriggan is better, a lot better actually.

Reasoning?

Artificers have some of the weakest starts of any class and weird stats. Fighters can easily survive the very early game and branch out to evo later

It looks pretty good. Guess Ill have to waste some time on CDDA