/vn/ - Best Guy Edition

Visual Novel General #1087

READ THE FOLLOWING, THIS IS IMPORTANT

>Having trouble with your VN? Try the following before you ask for tech support:

1. Be in Japanese locale
2. Read the Readme
3. Read the wiki below
4. Google it

>FAQs, Recommendations, and Other Useful Things:
visual-novels-general.wikia.com/wiki/

>Need a novel with a specific element?
vndb.org/g

>Official /vn/ Discord
discord.gg/0TDy2odjLmw7DooR

>Visual Novel Translation Status
warosu.org/jp/?task=search2&search_tripcode=!!UcDDlzwANFs&search_op=op

>Download Links:
pastebin.com/U7HUj0fk

Previous threads:
pastebin.com/zeiYgLrs

This general is for the discussion of Japanese visual novels.

Kindly use spoiler tags appropriately when discussing plot spoilers to facilitate smooth discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ILBSdb4vza0?t=120
tss.asenheim.org/true-love.html
operationrainfall.com/2016/05/11/interview-mangagamer-visual-novels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

chihaya's route was a shit version of ubw desu and everything relating to midou was dumb as fuck.

I like lolis.

Japanese trains taking a bath

youtu.be/ILBSdb4vza0?t=120

Kotarou and Sakuya would easily fuck up Shirou and Archer.

Post Japanese-translated English visual novels.

>sword art online in the op
wow we are hitting new fucking lows

here's your (You)

Whose ready for the Chinami special today?

>
Well, I know Umineko can be divisive, especially Chiru but it's definitely up there as one of my favourite Japan-related media in general.
It just gave me that "must keep reading" feeling and so many great moments that few things do.

I don't know what it was about how Lucia's route handled mystery (haven't read it) that annoyed you, so I can't promise you'll enjoy it, but personally I really liked how Umineko handled it.

>shit version of ubw
Wait, Kotarou's future self will show up in the story?

Rather, it's the reverse here. The "servant" is the past self of the protagonist, rather than the future one.

Have I just spoiled a great twist for myself by learning that?

Eh, not really. It's not as big of a deal here as in Fate.

For starters, the fact that 20+ hours in this SOL/fantasy visual novel is suddenly throwing a very typical R07 horror-mystery at you. It's a very abrupt change in tone and writing style. Then there's the mystery itself, which is terribly written. Specifically, the entire mystery relies on the use of unreliable narrator, R07's favourite trope. The difference in this instance is that unreliable narrator is a trope you have to build up and introduce and develop. In Lucia's route, there's ONE scene that has lying narration, where the text - that has been 100% trustworthy up to this point and continues to be 100% trustworthy after - just starts lying to the reader. Not stating things in a weird or confusing way, not cleverly hiding stuff so that you only realize it later. The text just explicitly tells you "X is happening", X is the event that creates 90% of the suspense in the actual mystery, and then the game later tells you "by the way, X never happened". The thing is, the scene and later twist is so typical of R07's work that if you've ever read anything by him, you'll probably solve the mystery instantly, because it's the same twist he always uses. If you haven't, however, the mystery is unsolvable. I'm not exaggerating that, the story simply does not give you the information necessary to solve the mystery. Nor does it present the unreliable narration segments in such a way that it is possible to even realize that they are unreliable narrator segments without outside or background knowledge The best part is that this entire sequence is probably only about an hour long (maybe two or three if you read slow), but it's such a complete clusterfuck that it takes a fairly average bland route into garbage territory. Date was cute though.

Fuck that, it has to. It will just be hard to find.

looks cool, translation when?

Yeah, me too. Lucia's route was the first and only thing I've read by R07 and it made not want to check anything else by him ever again.

There exists a parallel universe where cute anime girls play VNs having various dateable user heros. We just have to wait for these universes to collide.

Maybe someday.

tss.asenheim.org/true-love.html

Eternal lolis are the beset.

Grandma lolis are GOAT

Will SP pick it up?

Only if YOU kickstart it

they really do like this expression

What was your very first VN /vn/?

Pic related.

Cute mouth.

Snow Sakura.

It was either Turkeyhandle, Tears to Tiara or Underwater Ray Romano.

Is playing the Clannad VN worth it if I've watched the anime?
I thought the anime wasn't that great with the drama (I didn't really care much about the stuff that was meant to be sad), though I liked the comedy and liked Afterstory, drama and all a lot.

Runaway City/Season of Sakura/Three Sisters Story
one of these

F/SN, unless you count Ace Attorney as a VN.

>Turkeyhandle
I never really got where turkeyhandle came from. It doesn't sound anything like Tsukihime.

I forgot the name. But I remember it's a very short VN where the protag go into countryside and meet ghost girl.

I've seen it before in VNDB random search but I forgot to remember that name again.

KS

YMK or Chaos;Head can't remember which.

YMK.

Though I actually got into the genre after playing the demo for Melty Blood and doing some research into it and getting interested in the game it was based off of. YMK was just something I picked up to fill the gap of years while the translation was underway.

Fate/Stay Night

Moonlight Walks?

How did you end up playing it as your first VN?

So fucking cute.

ehhh i give her 2 hats out of 5 to keep it real

Nah, not that one. The story involved in farmland on summer day. The story was pretty horror though at the end.

I think I just try download it because of it small size. I don't even remember how do I find it.

The problem is that Lucia's mystery route is really out of place. The solution is also stupid and obvious. Then she does some Bad Things for really stupid reasons and it's all wrapped up with a shitty ending that badly contradicts the actual main storyline.
Intentionally? Probably Tsukihime. I might have read some dumb shit like I'm Gonna Serve You 4 before that without even realizing it was a visual novel.
No, the only really good part of Clannad is probably Tomoyo route. Kyou is popular but her route is terrible, the rest is mostly trash.

Narcissu

Does the clannad anime just follow a common route + Nagisa's, or does it include parts of other routes too?

They did specials that cover the other heroines routes

Oh, really? Were the routes really short or did the specials give a truncated version of them?

This fucking girl.

Fuck they need to finish it up already. I hate reading incomplete translations .

Yeah, they shortened them a lot but they're still serviceable I suppose.

Suck it up buttercup

Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.

Every Dracu Riot girl is so fucking lewd

When does the translation end?

When you least expect it.

Man, it sure is convenient that Satsuki can still enjoy sex even though all her other bodily functions and senses are falling apart.

>culture japan
>mirai suenaga
Why did they choohorn that in?

Trace, on.

Pants, off.

I'm so sorry.

whats the name of this (newfag)

Noble Works

Boku no Pico.

ecks dee

Saya no Uta

Why is this kamige not talked about? It's even translated!

People were talking about it like a month ago.

Any other translated VNs like Saya no Uta? I love Nitroplus' work so much..

eh, anything lovecraftian really.

Every day is a Romeo circlejerk day

How well was his new VN received?

Considered terrible, but the blame isn't on Romeo but the guy he was working for who "forced" him to write Kouya the way it is.

What carries over in a Seinarukana new game plus? I assume levels do, but does mana? Because the last level seems to be throwing it at me but not really giving me a chance to set up conversion plants. If not I'm just going to say fuck it on Satsuki's bonus mission and try to get everyone to the normal mode cap.

There is absolutely no problem with Kouya's writing, you'd know if you actually could read it

And you'd know what my post means if you were capable of reading English.

Mana isn't carried over so use it all on the last level

What's an EOP like you doing in JOP territory....
Know your fucking place

Damn. I have like 600k unconverted after the first teleport on the last level. Making you teleport around the map and not letting you keep your buildings is a dick move.

And what is your point?
Because it's made pretty clear that Romeo was only in charge of the text, the project wasn't him
It's not a question of opinion, it's directly stated in the credits

Nekopara vol 1 No bully.

I guess it would be Katawa Shoujo.

But my first japanese VN was Saya no Uta.

Fuck you, I loved it but after playing a ton of other VNs after it I realize its short comings.
But I still love it.

can anyone help an user out with pic related?

Nekopara 1+2 were the first VNs I finished.

However first one I actually started was Kusoge Shoujou.

I'm hype for vol 3. I'll accept status of maximum simpleton if I can read more comfy moeges.

operationrainfall.com/2016/05/11/interview-mangagamer-visual-novels/

Interdasting read.

>nekopara
>the first VNs I finished

Im sure you've seen that post in the previous thread where some guy had like 15 titles he was actively reading but haven't finished any.

Considering its length, I can see how its the first title hes completed.

>What was your very first VN /vn/?
Bible Black. Second was Katawa Shoujo

Actually quite recent to reading VNs. Not much time to it so I haven't undertaken any nightmare long ones. I mainly do what I can in the time I have spare.

I read KS about four years back. I never did Rin's route. By that point I had wondered why I read that much.

Clannad was the first I played but only for like an hour and I stopped reading it because I wasn't really into them back then.

The first one I truly played and finished was Fate.

Saya no Uta

Have you tried euphoria? pretty much the pinnacle of VNs

If you don't count PW, KS

But Euphoria doesn't have a route! Silly user.

>euphoria
>torture and sadist protag
I'd rather not test my resolve against fainting if the content is what I think it is.

>Euphoria doesn't have a route
what did he mean by this?