unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform
fabiensanglard.net
fabiensanglard.net/c/
angel2d.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>in 3 days
meant to say in 2 days.

-1th for nodev

Is it stupid to develop a game in Java? I've used C++ before but I'm much more familiar with Java. It wouldn't involve any 3d graphics, just sprite based possibly transitioning to skeletal animation later on.

still takin' ideas

Doesn't matter. Assess how performance reliant your game is then decide.

Most of my qualms against Java have to do with how it is to write code in, not how it runs. If you're comfortable with Java, then I don't see why not. Just don't go full retard with OOP.

Do the collab system. Sounds awesome and we need some organization.

Minecraft is the best selling PC game of all time, and one of the top games on any system of all time. And it was made with Java.

It doesn't matter what you use, as long as you make game.

> A bunch of people begging for free art
> No one actually makes anything
I foresee bad things. But I can prototype something out to give you guys to play around with if that's really what you guys want.

I see a lot of blowback against OOP on this board, care to explain? Object oriented was a bit of a sacred cow in my uni, so I never got to hear any argument against it.

I'm not familiar with cross platform development, but how easy would it be to port a game made in Unity to Mac or even PS4?

Extremely easy. They are all supported.

Mostly that it's misapplied all the time, or that people do things because it seems like "good OOP" and not because it improves the code.

People will make fun of you, and also won't bother to download Java just to play your game

Publish->Platform
unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform
One click. You specialize the games for the platforms obviously. you want touchscreen for mobile etc.

Seriously it's that easy?

People do seem to have a bit of an obsession with linking unrelated things by an abstract superclass, but the basic notion of bundling methods and attributes into one object is still good though right?

Yeah it's not a particularly rare feature.

But it's overstated. Like, do you really care that you won't have to spend an hour on setting up a build environment to port your game to a new platform?
It's not an engine selling point. It's just marketing.

For us aggydaggy people it's pretty good though.

Just remember that the most successful game to ever come from here was made with gamemaker, not unity.

I think the object is a useful unit of abstraction, yes. Do I think it's fundamental? No.

Risk of rain?

make a game.

That seems very reasonable, I thought people were opposed to the idea of having objects at all which seems a little nutty.

Make a good post.

Made a Dynamic Camera.

The Camera shows more stuff ahead of the player instead of the back, and doesn't switch directions until the player goes back far enough.

I thought it would make combat awkward if you went back and forth a lot so I added a lock on system too.

Yeah. Using Gamemaker is not going to be a limiting factor in making a great game.

nice projecting

I think a lot of people are only frustrated with OOP, not as a concept, but because of how it's implemented in (most) languages and how it's (mostly) used.

>won't bother to download Java just to play your game
They already have it installed because of minecraft

The problem is that OOP as a concept is how people use it. Structs with member functions isn't what people are complaining about.
An "inheritance model" is problematic.

If you have a struct with member functions you can include that struct in another struct and call the function like that. It's close to what imagine some people think is core to OOP (inheriting functionality) but it's really quite far from the paradigm.

I'm starting on the basics of a boss battle. It's pretty obviously similar to shit from my last game, which is intentional, but everything after this will be completely different.

> 10,000 collab requests
> 6 requests completed

Reposting file select / management progress, if anybody has any feedback that'd be nice.

Is there a way to mass assign Tags in unity? I already tried doing it by changing the tag of the container my objects are in but that doesn't do shit.

"Eradicate" seems a little intense. Why not delete?

ctr/shift + click, then change tag

you can easily change tag in code if that will help
and you can code editor tools..

why do you need this?

How do you delete someone?

Flip a bool to false near the brainstem

It's not just inheritance that's the issue, though. Inheritance is a problem because it's either broken (multiple inheritance) or overly restrictive (single inheritance), even though it's really just special syntax for implementing an interface using a member that also implements that interface.

Most of the time, the issues stem from packing up the relevant data and code into objects in a way that might make sense to a human, but doesn't make the code or its run time behaviour better (and usually makes it worse, instead). Unfortunately, this is the way it's usually taught.

he probably chose eradicate to sound like LoZ's eliminate mode without straight copying

One of those oddities that you find in translations from back then. Zelda used to call their delete file KILL MODE.

but it will significantly cripple your ability to deploy cross platform and receive support, as well as using the same engine across multiple different types of games

anyone have good resources for game dev in C?
what are the best books for learning C?

Yeah I'm ignoring cache locality issues. I'm just talking about situations where those kinds of constraints aren't particularly close.

Isn't that from that Shota Anubis game?

All the stuff you just listed are rather subjective. Depending on the game you're making you won't care about releasing your game on something else than PC.

>as well as using the same engine across multiple different types of games
What do you exactly mean by this though?

I want to make a 2d rpg

should I use gamemaker or unity

fuck rpgmaker

If not performance, then it can still be harmful to the quality of your code.

Like the guy who was posting in here a little while ago about how he makes a new class for every different enemy type in the game (in the thousands), even if all he's doing is giving fields different values (i.e. calling a different constructor).

Now, this isn't entirely his fault, because C# doesn't provide a convenient way for a class to have constructors with different names but the same parameters. You could do it with static methods, but then you have to do Class.Method and that's just verbose as hell.

This is ignoring, of course, that the real best solution is to load it all in from data files and not have any specific enemy classes at all.

Unity handles 2d and 3d quite well. It also networks very easily, and integrates with tons of stuff (for mobile at least, social networks, IAP, easy advertising, etc)

A "real game" can be made on unity as well as a shitty cash grab using the same skillset. Unity is also an industry standard, which means skills in unity == employability. As far as I know it's only downside is issues multi threading efficiently but I don't think gamemaker does that either.

Pretty sure you should just stop and use C++ instead.

But I am making a game! It's just on hiatus while I recover from minor brain damage and jobhunt.

fabiensanglard.net

fabiensanglard.net/c/

You shouldn't even be considering making a game in C if you don't already know it extremely well to the point of it being by far the language you're most proficient in, and then suddenly developing a learning disorder that forces you to only ever use C for the rest of your life.

also unity is less plebby and requires a lot more legwork with your code, meaning you can get your game to behave EXACTLY the way you want it to.

There is no reason to program a game in C unless it's to better understand how low level data structures work and to firsthand observe the dissolusion of the human psyche. It isn't even much faster than "modern" languages like java, C#, and C++ (Personally I would recommend java or c# because they are OOP)

Do you have a programming background?
If so Unity, else go with GameMaker.
Or you could just try both, do some basic tutorials and see what you're most comfortable with. It'll only cost you a few hours.

I remember finding an article that talked about premultiplying alpha to fix sprite edge transparency or something but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Fuck man, it seems like Google gets worse every few months I can't find shit with their POS site anymore

learn how to program first, it will change the way you think in ways that are indescribably beneficial to your development of games.

It was a pain, but I think I can now get the midpoints and bounding boxes of any arbitary brush with only a normal and distance to origin of each face. This will be useful for when I want to use movable brushes for things like doors.

neato, thanks mate

>why do you need this?
I want to decrease the player velocity whenever he crashes into certain objects(walls/buildings), I am using OnCollisionEnter and CompareTag for the collision check but unfortunately I forgot to tag my stuff when I created it. So, I had the choice between either manually changing the tag of like >100 objects or trying to come up with a different method.
Both options were unacceptable.

Does a uni CS degree focus entirely on OOP? That's the impression I get these days. Like "Java, then C++ with heavy OOP, and maybe some assembly/compiler stuff"

Is it because the professors are paid to teach Java? Why is there so much Java?

>Personally I would recommend java or c# because they are OOP
>because they are OOP

Angel2D! angel2d.com/
>has tons of features like console with tuning variable support for very rapid iteration time
>optional lua scripting
>simple and designed to be simple
>open source and made to be easy to modify
>access to all your basic gamedev needs
>runs on GLFW
>portable, can make a mobile/desktop version without issue
>helpful tutorial project which tells you almost everything you need
>has a project ready for you to start building on
>optional Box2d
>ready to use particle system that supports animated particles
>singletons for easy use
>has an introductory page which teaches you virtually everything you could need for a simple game
There's very few drawbacks here
>not designed for 3D so you have to modify quite a few things if you want to do more than view changes
>not a major engine so people with familiarity are lacking
>documentation doesn't cover have examples like unity or gamemaker might. It's just a class reference really
>doesn't have reference ID's so you can't keep track of what actors are illegally accessed in the access loop (if you say delete an actor improperly that's a problem that could be harder to find)
>Nobody respects your choice because they're all Unity developers who like click and drag shit.

Depends on how shitty the uni's program is. My program did assembly, then procedural, then OOP.

"CS" degrees are overwhelmingly "code monkey" degrees now. You're not taught to be a computer scientist, you're taught to be someone who can work on software for a company. And, big surprise - the majority of code you'll find in those kinds of jobs is OOP-heavy Java.

Handmadehero.org
This is exactly what you want. he's using C++ but it's very light on C++ features (things like typedef'd structs and something else I forget).

>big surprise
how did this happen though? OOP clearly scales like painting a building with colored pencils

Why don't you look at the course information instead of asking a Bangladeshi movie thread who doesn't even know where you live?

You're just trying to start shit aren't you?

Some of the more liberal colleges avoid languages altogether. Mine had a few functional languages that they would use to instruct designs and the "science" aspect

Would you play a game with aesthetics like this? (color changes across the world over time, could be much much slower but I don't want to waste your time).
Colors do not have to go back and forth like that.

Guys, I don't really understand how you can make a sizeable game without using OOP paradigms. I feel like with OOP you'll always end up with neatly organized code, but with stuff like functional languages, don't you end up with spaghetti every time?

>Like "Java, then C++ with heavy OOP, and maybe some assembly/compiler stuff"
That actually sounds fun, my unis CS course was just a fucking joke. We spent like 60% of our time with learning outdated or irrelevant stuff. The few hour of actual coding was wasted with """"""modifying""""""" a fucking breakout game in java.

make it red

No, it would make me nauseous in no time at all.

>OOPs.png

good job on the camera movement.
notes: you need to work more on your sky, make the gradient blend better. rest is amazing.
ps: combos or more detailed attack would be nice, you know, juice it up a bit.
overall great art mate, but the boss animation loop is visible, maybe make the animation longer? or make the eye move as well?
colour blending is nice
make the player sprite do something when an option selected, static is fine too though
nice atmosphere, cant say much else its still basic, the lightning is really good though

What if you closed your eyes?

What the fuck are you on about? Is this some sort of american thing?
In Sweden CS-degrees aren't at all like that, and are often specifically aimed at research. We went through maybe 10 languages the first 2 year doing everything from functional, procedural to oop to fucking odd stackbased in house things.
Here its called a computer SCIENCE degree since its a SCIENCE based degree. "Code monkeys" here go to whats known as entrepreneurial programming.

object-oriented approaches are great when it comes to games, especially for organization and concurrency

Mine started with java for the first two courses, and I just took a course that was haskell and prolog. From this point forward we are learning concepts exclusively, and work may be turned in as any compiled binary / a list of scripting languages

depends how you plan the growth of the project, if you plan well (corporations don't) it scales very well. If you go the corporate approach, it DOES play out like coloring a building with colored pencils. Colored pencils generated by a function defined 10 years ago that creates colors by blasting a dial tone, converts them into a floating point frequency, multiplies it by 2 and divides by a magic number before being parsed into json and back with a lossy conversion before being defined as RGB values..

Dude, I know what precise png you're talking about, but my code honestly looks like what's on the left. You just have to use the structures you actually need and understand and it works perfectly.

>object-oriented approaches are great...for...concurrency

interesting, but what is it going to be?
also this

>for my 1MA pong clone

dampen it's movement more

No, but some universities teach CS as more of a technical degree. That's true in both

You can't, that's why they spend all day talking about paradigms while every game posted goes against them.

this is a bit clunky, i think it should trigger switching directions farther away from the edge of the screen -- i can see this fucking someone up because they cant see in front of them for a second

>concurrency
I agree with everything else you said, but this is simply not true

>OOP is the best for organization
>you can't write big software without OOP
I've never seen these claims justified. It's like they're a divine truth to some people.

there is a game like that for cellphones.

you surf your favorite song while everything takes LSD

who are you quoting?

>need help with your code
>too ashamed to show anyone my code and that someone might laugh or think less of me and my game

>my code honestly looks like what's on the left
>making new classes when all you want is a new instance with different values of fields
>arbitrarily deciding that certain superclasses shouldn't have a field instead of just setting that field to a value that acts as if it isn't there at all so you can use the same logic for everything

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up a game that has multiple selectable units in unity.

I was going to set up a bool for each unit along the lines of "IsSelected" which is switched to true when the unit is clicked, but I'm not sure how to go about automatically deselecting the other units when this happens.

Anyone done something similar and can advise?

GODDAMNIT! mine didnt win

Well now I think even less of you for caring what anonymous people think of you.

but who cares what we think, pastebin it

But the point being that a CS degree that isn't aimed at a science based approach isn't a CS degree but an entrepreneurial programming degree labeled wrong.

And even the entrepreneurial programmers here have tons of fun, some of my bro's just went to uni for 2 years and then left to work for oracle, working fucking 8-14 and some days just going paintballing with their team and boss (whilst being paid) with way over average pay. Thought they where pulling my leg but after checking with a ton of other people who graduated like that, thats what being a code monkey is like in Sweden.

My university taught C then C++ and went rather heavy on the OOP for a while but when that was over we were free to write whatever we wanted.

That said we started without even writing any C code. We started with some modeling language and we were told we had to manage that on the test..

Pretty annoying stuff.

let them show you their game
then laugh at them nodevs