/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 Tournament is ongoing until May 22: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/overview.html
>/rlg/ teams:
WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIIIEEET: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/heterosexualmale.html (MuMo, OPEN)
Algerian Curse Removal Ltd.: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/nikheizen.html (Regular, FULL)

Consider making another clan! Anyone can be captain.

Crawl 0.18 release: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-18-pakellass-packrats

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19837
crawl.develz.org/other/manual.html#n-philosophy-pas-de-faq
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19837#p268457
s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=b4b85f546d5ca7ad62be3756234f289558d67c0f
pastebin.com/ZLZZz45j
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone here any good at DoomRL? Should I try blasting the Cyberdemon with the BFG9000, or should I stick with Gun Kata and pistols?

>Learn about passage of golubria
>free control blink without contamination at spell level 4
>free out of jail card
Holy shit they are going to ruin this fun spell right

murder holes in crawl are bad design and should be removed

how do you sticky your abilities and spells like that?

>+0 demon blade
oh my god why

So I'm giving PCB a go, I dove into a Stronghold right away and got about 11 floors deep trying to find the end. Should I keep going or go somewhere else? How deep do these things go?

Don't worry, they're working on it.

but how do you remove something that is made by removing something
it's like trying to heal a wound by amputating it, so that you get a new wound that needs amputation in turn. The entire dungeon would be removed!

QED demigod atheists

so, will my ring of rCorr stop the corrsion effect from the armor?

what was so broken about demigods being able to worship things?

it was user's first win, so presumably because it sounded awesome and he didn't have a comparative gamesense developed

Stronghold is pretty shallow. Most dungeons have a boss on the bottom floor. Killing a dungeon boss always give a stat up, and some of them also have a guaranteed drop. I think Stronghold ends at floor 15. Watch out, the boss summons humanoids, can start with a dangerous humanoid (watch out for the berserker! he's tanky and nasty in melee at that early stage)

Generally I finish stronghold before going elsewhere, but it's a very flexible game, you can go exploring if you'd like, probably to Angband down to depth 6, and open up Morivant town.

In my experience rCorr doesnt do shit at all in crawl

How do people find the experience to train up secondary weapon skills (throwing, bows, crossbows etc)
Feels like its already enough work to get your primary stuff and defenses up

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can manage it. I ran into wormtongue but couldnt manage to do much to him before he teles off with all my gold.

as it turns out, no. dropped that shit

And I mean they are seriously debating the removal of digging.
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19837

rCorr is only a 50% chance to resist

crawl devs.jpg

>woah what kind of retard would suggest that lol
>duvessa
really

well shit

>here's an idea
>lets remove anything that's remotely fun or different then the what i want the game to be
>everyone will like this!
fuck man, I just don't understand how other people logic.

Who else would it be?

I can see the logic behind it but its also pretty short sighted especially since they immediately discard the make the orbrun better option
Just because one part of the END OF THE GAME is not well thought out the entire rest of the game should lose another layer of strategy?
Dig becoming a rare wand like Haste/Heal would be fine though since its really strong overall

If they remove digging then people will just spam teleport again

One day I'm going to get good at crawl.

And all then my deaths will come from something that isn't an orc press or autoexploring into a two headed ogre.

good luck! Fighting Meng Huo (the Stronghold boss) can be a bit...exciting. You can't afford to just clear his minions because he will keep summoning them, so you sortof have to yolo straight at the boss himself. A stair to escape is very handy, as is maybe a potion of speed and of heroism.

It sounds like you might come from a mostly non-Angband background, so I'll add this bit of general advice: spend money in town to keep a good stockpile of exploring and emergency supplies. Obviously healing potions and teleport scrolls, but also stuff like Detect Monster or Detect Trap scrolls, until you find reusable staff/rod versions.

Also, keep an eye on the 6 shops, they sometimes carry Staff of Identify, which will be very useful and worth the ~1k that it will run you.

Finally, the 8 shop is your home, use it to store stuff.

Oh and if you haven't learned about Scroll of Word of Recall yet, you should. It basically lets you not have to walk all the way up and down a dungeon every time.

Remember when a MuMo win made them remove boring beetles

no, tell me a story user!

>GUYS WHAT IF
>WE REMOVE THE ONLY WAY FOR OTHER WEAPONS TO COMPETE WITH AXES
>BRILLIANT

RIP Lava Orcs
RIP Djinn
RIP Sludge Elf
RIP Mountain Dwarf
RIP Gnome
RIP Arcane Marksman
OOPS JK LOL
RIP Priest
RIP Paladin
RIP Healer
RIP Death Knight
RIP Reaver
RIP Hammers
RIP Elven, Dwarven, Orcish weapon varients
RIP Lantern of Shadows
RIP Fun

inb4
>muh balance
it's a singleplayer game
everyone has access to the same content
it's not unfair
therefore, it's not unbalanced

I guess it can be strong? but i literally sit on my dig wands for most the game and only use them for few and far situations. I mean i won't be to broken up if it does end up getting removed as 'bloat' outside the fact that they're gona keep removing shit with this justification.

Wow that thread isn't even about killholes but about pre digging the orb run
Does anyone actually do that?

rip summons fighting outside of view range
rip item destruction
rip abyss cloning

>crawl devs remove all fourms of digging
>LRD dosen't blow up walls anymore, is weaker overall
>axes get a new two-hander
>double ax
>everyone plays MiBe
>people complain about tablords
>trog is removed.

>DCSS 0.20
>Dungeon removed
>Linesprint is now the default mode of play

Gnome, was that a player race?
i'm sitll so godamned salty about sludge elfs

>Trog is removed
funny joke

STILL
NO
BACKGROUND
THAT
STARTS
WORSHIPPING
JIYVA

>linesprint is just a large kill'hole'
>gets removed

Seems like the same old tired shit.
>MY AUTISM WILL NOT LET ME DO ANYTHING BUT THE MOST OPTIMAL BEHAVIOR
>BUT EVEN THOUGH NOTHING BUT MYSELF IS FORCING ME TO PERFORM THIS PARTICULAR PIECE OF OPTIMAL BEHAVIOR I FIND IT NOT FUN
>REMOVE IT SO I AM NO LONGER FORCED TO SUBJECT MYSELF TO IT

ha time for qaz ants

i have to believe this is intentional b/c jivya sucks early

What blows my mind is eveyone's first reaction is to remove digging, not add something else like Slime Pit walls that discourage digging. And then shooting down any ideas of the like after the initial bitching.

What the fuck does chei have to do with all of this

I always grind all my skills to 27 in pan before doing the orb run because thats the most optimal strategy
Please remove pan

Content isn't removed because a few faggots don't think it's fair.
crawldevs have a very specific philosophy in their design of the game.
crawl.develz.org/other/manual.html#n-philosophy-pas-de-faq

I wrote all that up before really reading the thread then found a post which is basically saying that same shit in a serious way.

crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19837#p268457

Fuck.

Yet they listened before and did this s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=b4b85f546d5ca7ad62be3756234f289558d67c0f

>"they"
>zero actual crawldevs in thread
>just the tavern's supreme shitposter, duvessa

I come from DCSS, So I probably have a handful of bad habits from that.

Where would I find recall, the shops? Because it is frustrating moving around in these things.

I found the Dog Callar of Fang (+2,+3) (+1) but I have no idea what any of that means, inspecting isnt very helpful either

and abyss.
I guess the agurment is that since there's a god that slowes your movment, a tool to make the orb run shorter is that much more powerful?
you say that but the shitter that started it worded the 'problem' of digging in such a way that they'd probbly consider it. also this

>I found the Dog Callar of Fang (+2,+3) (+1) but I have no idea what any of that means, inspecting isnt very helpful either
Read the pasta.

pastebin.com/ZLZZz45j

>5.2k posts
these people depress me

how does a person like that get a character named after them

>pastebin.com/ZLZZz45j
Alright, thanks!

yeah the 5 shop would have them
1 shop: general store. Carries food, mushrooms, and lights uniquely, and then some other odds and ends (cloaks, arrows) that other stores also have
2: armor store
3: weapons
4: healing and holy stuff
5: non-holy scrolls and potions
6: magical staffs/wands
7: black market, can carry ANYTHING but often at absurd prices
8: your house
9: spellbook shop

If you use the look command on the store's door you'll see the name.

You can also use the run command to keep going in a direction until you can't. 0 will let you enter in a number of repititions, then enter, then a command, so you can go e.g. 010[enter][left] to go 10 spaces left. ` lets you target a square to try and autopath to...it gets confused on the surface world but works in dungeons mostly fine. ` and then > or < snaps the autopath tile target to a > or < stair, which is SUPER handy for quickly zooming around cleared levels. Use < or > multiple times to rotate through the options if there are multiple stairs of that type on the level.

The pasta will help answer some other general questions, but basically you need the more powerful version of Identify, most cheaply done in Morivant. That's a good early amulet though!

Why do people like the tavern again
Are these the same guys that say chei is a bad god

>named after them
Pretty sure it's the other way around.

Other way around.
The autist made their forum name after Duvessa from the game.

>It makes the game really boring :c

Good thing DCSS is single player and someone using said tactic won't change your experience.

first they came for the ___.txt

BUT MUH GAME DESIGN

seriously though how do I do this?
is it in the rcfile?

I didnt know about the autopath! That'll save me some grief. Appreciate all the help!

It is in the init.txt file, yes, but it's only available in the offline versions and you have to have a certain amount of window height available for things to show.

I'm late to the Qaz party, god damn

thanks, I play offline anyways because I don't care about leaderboard and shit. Time to dig through the docs
Now I'm torn between being a Qazlol or Cheimo on my next run

qazloud versus cheimotherapy
what's it gonna be

wow you had to use your god ability for the easy part of vaults

>zero actual crawldevs in thread

awww shit lads we are degenerate
also we are fucked now, rip digging

Dramatically demolishing the V5 welcoming party is just plain fun

Stairdancing is so boring and unfair, completely goes against the design principles of crawl. I recommened the devs do either of these. First, make the game take place entirely on one floor where different areas and branches are locked of by special rune doors. To open these doors you need a certain number of rune keys scattered across each section of the dungeon. The amount of keys needed to open a door is half the total amount needed and the total number of keys in general is proportional to the length of said section. Now, my next proposal is that stairs now work like hatches and once you go down one you commit to entering the next level. However, items and abilities of the such that allow for teleportation are the only ways to go back to a previous level. This makes the game more fun. I hope the devs consider this as stairdancing just ruins my experience. Yes, I don't have to use it, but it's a good tactic so I'm practically forced to. Reducing the amount of enjoyment I have from the game.

>crawl dev posts opion
>says people who disagree can suck it
>what a time to be alive.

oh whoops there was more than 1 page

You forgot Xom's Chesspiece. Glorious evocable that was too good for this world.

>PLAYERS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO THINK OF OR DO THINGS I DO NOT WANT THEM TO DO

see

IF digging is removed, it would be incredibly simple to bring it back.
I vow that, if the devs are completely retarded, I will change back the line that allows digging in all upcoming stable releases in my own fork.
I don't give a shit about all the other races/classes but they can't take my digging.

Wait why couldnt formcids keep it?

but user forks aren't very good for digging
you should release your own spoon instead

THAT'S WHAT DESIGN IS

Things that are just abuse and spoilerific
>Abyss
>Pan
>Stairdancing
>Knowing when its safe to read/quaff ID your remaining potions (they should just auto ID)

because if the only reason you pick formcids was for digging, then the devs think their bloat and should be removed.

Meanwhile torment is still in the game
In fact its even more used now than before thanks to the shadow fiend change

Seriously? No one can help me with this?

There's a "nerf stairs/stairdancing" thread up too.

Slouch+V:5 makes everything up to that point worth it as a Cheinaga.

we definitely have some DoomRL regulars but I am not one of them.

I hope one of them shows up and also sees your question

why not just combine the threads with the title "nerf fun"

The literal ONLY way to beat tomb 3 if that happened would be with an ogre that knows lich form who worships Qaz and gets really lucky when he cleans out the welcoming party. Nobody else would have enough HP or dakka to both kill that shit and maybe survive.

>not the first beevault you run into

Damn I cant wait to have to fight death yak mobs in the open

/rlg/ is composed almost entirely out of poorfags who cannot afford the exorbitant prices that any games with a pricetag larger than $0 charge.

/rlg/ cannot give you advice for commercial games.

desu there are like 3 people who play DoomRL here and at least one of them only does speedruns or something

Use the BFG
BFG always for things you want to blast down asap

doomrl isn't a commercial game user

i've played it a little but i don't know shit about gun kata so i can't help

i think you can dodge literally all of his rockets if you just sidestep on the turn that he reloads though, so maybe save the bfg cells for the spider mastermind

the death yaks can't wait either user

wait a minute....death yaks
operate as a group/pack
hate fun
definitely in favor of removing digging/stairdancing

I'm starting to suspect ontoclasm, and maybe every crawlddev, must be a death yak!