Spessmen on a Space Station - SS13 - /ss13g/

SPACE PARALLAX EDITION - courtesy of Deity

Last time on /ss13g/
>Dude who cares, Spess will never be the same (unless you just disable it)

>What is Space Station 13?
youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA
pastebin.com/VNcX2Quc

>New player guide
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/The_Basics
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/General_Help

>BYOND client
byond.com/download/build/LATEST/

>Pomf Serbian, main Veeky Forumsstation server, running a vote script to change maps at round end.
byond://game.ss13.moe:7777

>Test server
byond://ss13.moe:1337

>Public server list
byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

>Forum, ban list and logs for vgstation
ss13.moe/forum/
ss13.moe/index.php/bans
game.ss13.moe/logs

>How do I connect to the servers?
Hit the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the BYOND hub and pick "Open Location"

>Map renders collection: updated nightly
ss13.nexisonline.net/img/map-renders/

>Coderbus, here!
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13
@rizon #coderbus @rizon #vgstation

>SS13 booru for all your SS13 images!
ss13.booru.org/

>How To Install BYOND: The Video Tutorial: The Movie
youtube.com/watch?v=-iWiZwv9f1o

>Nostalgia
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/text/ss13g/

>OP Pastebin
pastebin.com/87FjnR7M

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/pull/9884
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/pull/9964
tickcounter.com/countdown/1463730188000/canada-central/dhms/FFFFFF3B5998000000FF0000/APOLOGY_MAN_RELEASED
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's legitimately fucking repulsive.

of course, works at all screen sizes.

I LIKE IT

Its almost there.

The first layer looks really weird. The rest of it looks nice

I eagerly await the 60% rise in lag under load.

first step to improving this would be removing the sneezedust that flies at 70mph

Laggy too, it seems.

Yeah, it's kind of dicks but it helps make the station feel more like a space station with the increased depth than just a flat map on the tabletop at the flgs

love this meme

It moves just like space currently moves. Also.
> it helps you see movement in space you shitbird
> engage your brain

Nah, it's just 'laggy' because player movement is jerky.

Looks gay but good at the same time

Does it affect performance?

That's what it already looks like

that and it's a webm.

And I'd like to stress out that if you don't like it you can toggle it off anytime in your preferences.

I'm going to add a mode that doesn't display the "sneeze dust" for those who don't like it as well. Even though its texture is gonna be tweaked anyway before I make a PR.

It doesn't lag at all for me, but of course it might be different with 40 players online. At least it only updates when you move.

It's a Deity™ pull request.

Of course it does.

>It moves just like space currently moves
Exactly
It looks like shit when combined with the back layers

> it helps you see movement in space you shitbird
Fairly fucking sure we could move around in space just fine just with the back layers

>that and it's a webm.

>not making 60fps webms
gitten gudden

Hey boys whats up it's me, Yahir.

I want you all to stop fucking harassing me this minute I'm honestly getting tired of this bullshit and it's not right, in any way shape or form. How would you like it if you were harassed by a bunch of neckbeard virgins every fucking day, every time you tried to play your favorite game you were driven away by a bunch of people with attitude problems? At this point I'm sick and tired of all the abuse I'm getting and I can't take it anymore.

You guys constantly try to drive everyone away and it's fucked up.

>only one layer of parallax scrolling

where's ulillillia when you need him?

>Fairly fucking sure we could move around in space just fine just with the back layers
You're in luck, I designed my feature with people like you in mind and a there's a "static back layers only" mode. I'm currently coding an "only back layers move" mode as well.

First layer feels a little too close is all

first layer is meant to be space dust, not stars, and I'm still tweaking things out. The point of those webm isn't to show the final state of the feature, it's a proof of concept right now. And of course I'm using all of your feedback into account.

When I said "back layers" I meant back layerS. Not the backmost layer. There's zero parallax in this.

Deity please fuck off from coding things nobody asked for.

Dylan isn't somebody before you plug his name.

are you going to shoot up a school now?

>[getting increasingly defensive here] but of course I'm taking feedback you guys ;)
youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
Welcome to yet another repeat of every single thing Deity codes
Remember all the feedback he took in newblob?

>There's zero parallax in this.
Funnily enough, I agree, and this is what dylan wanted to make github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/pull/9884

Yeah, it's cool bro.

It's not a paid position, he can do whatever the fuck you want.

No, he's gonna bomb it
With nevil bumshoot dakimuras

hhaaaaahahahahHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHA

Just jam the sme into grid after running H/E through the chamber and pressurizing with oxygen. It'll blow in 8 minutes

>Remember all the feedback he took in newblob?
Like when people wanted the normal blobs to have multiple different sprites?
Like when people wanted the connections to look different each time?
Like when people wanted the new blob to grow out of the parent blob instead of appearing in place?
Like when people wanted to be able to switch back to the old sprites if they do desired?
>le feedbackdoesn'tmatter meme

Wait, why didn't he link it? Just... why?

it's not on the station grid

>The times you did things you were already planning to do but people also suggested them
>Ignoring all the times when people said "This is bad because X" and your response was essentially "You don't have to use it but it's going to be merged."

I would've smacked you upside the head if you didn't implement ANY of those.
I mean stuff like "it's too opaque", "the green hue is too solid", "it looks like a plant rather than a blob"
You went ahead and just did all the animations on top of the first draft of sprites.
It's a very concerning precedent for any future "wips" you post, especially because you do it for EVERYTHING

well, you can know what a powersink DOES but you don't know how it works unless you play engi

???

I don't want anything else from Deity in our code.

It has been proved that he can't do anything that isn't ugly, pointless or laggy.

I thought it was a goddamnit we never found it post then saw , looked at it again and saw the fuckup.

If you mean what I said, powersinks only absorb so much until it causes them to explode which is what makes them useless most of the time because at least someone knows to wire to grid and let nature run its course

Or ALL THREE!
See: Spesspets (collaborators don't even want to make them cheaper because of how laggy they are)

I liked sphess pets but it needed work.If I ever got git I figured I'd take a whack at it. Probably never happen though.

Oh I see, you were talking about an SME set up.
I thought you mistyped SMES and got really fucking confused.

While I do agree it looks very plant-like, you can argue that the original sprites don't look Blob-like at all either (if the movie The Blob is the frame of reference). What's blob-like is the way it spreads. And I totally embraced the plant-like design when I made the resource blob with its flower-like appearance.

Think of it this way, this is the blob that I wanted to make, and I put in the tools to easily allow any spriters with no code knowledge to easily add their own sprites, and the contrarians to use the default ones. We both know that I'm never going to satisfy everyone, and I'm not trying.

>It's a very concerning precedent for any future "wips" you post, especially because you do it for EVERYTHING
I've given up on features in the past because some people pointed out how dumb it would be, or how better it could be done. Just because I'm not tweaking my feature exactly like you (people) want it doesn't mean that I'm not going to make some changes when multiple people tell me the same remarks (in the case of Parallax, "the front layer is too dense", to begin with)

300 nanner when cult man?
Dues Vult.

>I'm never going to satisfy everyone, so I won't try to satisfy ANYONE, not even the great majority who have the same feedback

>stars
>moving at all
done fucked up

Whoa, watch out bub, with an ego that big you're gonna rupture that tank you call a head with a 32 dev explosion.

Are you seriously trying to argue about realism in SS13?

Christ man.
I remember way back when when people said you were trying to act like Veeky Forumsstation was your personal sandbox.

You're really starting to make that seem more legitimate with your "I am making the things I want the way I want them" attitude, especially when those things will get merged because you just nag the people that can merge them over and over until they do.

This is exactly how it's going to happen:
You'll make the 'space dust' slightly transparent
Everyone will tell you it still looks like shit, but you're going to point at the "toggle space dust" button and lay back in your chair as you send stamped letters to every collaborator begging them to merge it before anyone comments on the space dust
Now we have something ugly as sin that you didn't improve because you ~could~ get away with not improving it

This is the game where you can die from hypothermia in space

Here's an idea. Put it on a pr and don't bother with the thread. Problem solved.

it looks like shit m8 realism or not

I think it looks kinda neat. Although I'd prefer a subtle movement vs sanicfast.

I coded the goon lights heist and it'll be slightly more laggy come at me nerds.

see I actually made those webms on the first version that I managed to get the parallax working. Of course I'm still going to tweak it.

And I welcome any shitposter in the thread to come give their concerns in the PR once it gets opened. It's a major system revamp so you can be sure it's gonna be open for a few days.

Lag git out!

Ghetto ss13 server when?
All bare bones
All the speed of goon scheduler but no bloat station with bloat features

need to see it moving and without admineye

woah baby

user you might be in denial here if you think he planned to do all the things he did because of feedback that he never mentioned before the feedback.

I want to clarify to you nerds that we literally don't merge shit based on how much we get nagged at.

We merge content if not too many people hate it and the code is alright, so get your ass to GitHub if you have constructive criticism.

still dunno what I'm doing and for what reason

but then I run around these unfinished corridors and see shit from a new angle

and I'm thinking

neat

so I guess that's something

based off an outdated version of meta

god I already hate the fiddly support beams and I haven't even gotten to that point yet

>we dont merge on merit of coding or good balance. We just merge everything that no one minds no matter how shit it is as long as no one complains in github
So thats how kilkun touched vamp balance and how AEG kits got merged

>we dont merge based on how much we get nagged
I guess hypothermia just sneaked into bleeding edge with a cardboard box?

>I want to clarify to you nerds that we literally don't merge shit based on how much we get nagged at.
[02:47:58]ADMIN: MOD: Pseudonym/(Test Dummy) : anyways it looks like shit got reviewed so
[02:48:10]ADMIN: MOD: Deity Link/(Roger Wilco) : yes pls, merge all of it
[02:48:52]ADMIN: MOD: Deity Link/(Roger Wilco) : can you merge the Blob HUD PR as well while you're at it?
[02:53:26]ADMIN: MOD: Deity Link/(Roger Wilco) : I think github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/pull/9964 is also ready for merge, it's a very small PR

>stayed literally 12 hours up
>lots of complaints from players who didn't even see the PR open now hearing the sounds
Clusterfack stop trying to save face

When I toggledarkness as a ghost, it makes all other ghost sprites dissappear, is there a way to fix this or is this intentional?

Up until very recently it was literally impossible to fix, now with 510 it's technically possible but nobody wants to do it

Been like this for fucking ages man. Why do you even want to see other ghosts? They usually get in the way of cool shit happening

We need to kick sood and riri to the curb and put clusterfack on the time out corner already

Deity pls focus your attention on wiz

stop bull shitting

hyporthermia was hated to death and got in

Because I want to see who the antag is, most ghost float around their waifu or the person who killed them, so if you observe right off the bat, you can find them quickly by doing that.

1: I'm not clusterfack

>complain after it's merged because you're too lazy to check GitHub every once in a while.

>check the times
>that PR got merged literally that exact minute
holy fuck

What needs mapping the most?

>complain after it's merged because you're too lazy to check GitHub every once in a while.
Exactly
This would be a valid comeback if deity didn't try to get his shit merged before anyone can get a word in
Even if you check github daily, you still would have missed it

DAILY REMINDER

tickcounter.com/countdown/1463730188000/canada-central/dhms/FFFFFF3B5998000000FF0000/APOLOGY_MAN_RELEASED

IT'S ALMOST HERE

What want me to make a bot that notifies of new PRs in the thread to hug box you?

Just don't merge the PR the same day it was opened unless it's a bugfix.
If you seriously didn't think of that already then I have no option but to assume you have literal brain damage.

Alright I take that back but normally shit doesn't get merged this quickly, sood is trigger happy.

Deity is at fault too here
I'm glad we came to an understanding

just being faggot now.

people have point out he has happen of asking people merged his shit in fast.

Looking fugly, deity.
There's too much dust on the closest layer.

Martian sprites when

Magic missile fixed when?

My BYOND keeps freezing, is there a more stable version that I can use?

Soon. People are working on it. Hopefukly.
I would too if it wasn't for FUCKING WORK.

>clothes

Yes, Version 5.0 Beta 510.1342
Downgrade.

This sprite is pretty good. All they have to do is move the tenticals into the same location of human hands (or that green monkey proof oc concept sprite that was posted), and we should be good to go.

Does the top of the martians head line up with that of the humans for the overlay of hats?

>no clothes

While itd be a good handwoven for not needing to sprite them, I think I could do it for some of the basic clothing.

Handwave*

Was anarchy a mistake?

make them spawn in with custom hat that's use to hold the ID/PDA

yeah

Can't speak for everyone but I liked it, and haven't seen any serious repercussions thus far.

Is that not the current unstable version?

I like the parallax space but i agree, the frontlayer spacedust is too much. I think just two layers is enough, but if you want to use a third layer, make all three of them "very distant" looking

In retrospect the round end sounds PR was merged too quickly, so it was indeed my fault. But I've said in several threads already that if someone opened an issue about it on GitHub and many people agreed I'd revert it no problem.

yes, that's what everyone says and I'm already remedying to that. That webm was made on the very first successful test of parallax, so of course I had no idea how it'd even actually look like in movement.

If you add this to the game I'm going to fly out to wherever you're at in bumfuck rural France and fistfight your dad.