/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 Tournament is ongoing until May 22: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/overview.html
>/rlg/ teams:
WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIIIEEET: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/heterosexualmale.html (MuMo, OPEN)
Algerian Curse Removal Ltd.: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/nikheizen.html (Regular, FULL)

Consider making another clan! Anyone can be captain.

Crawl 0.18 release: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-18-pakellass-packrats

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread: cum

first for PULSATING ORC VULVAE a best

>tfw no GOOD roguelike has Fearscape or Cease to Exist in it.

But it's permanent 15 stats at the cost of huge movespeed malus and inability to haste.
vs.
Temporary 9 stats for small piety at max invo, but also sickness, poison, confusion, petrification, rot and stat drain protection at any invo, while not fucking your movespeed and allowing haste

timewizard is the coolest class

but paradox is such a shitty resource, i'd rather just have a bar that runs out instead of horrible failure rates and chances to blow yourself up

the question was "which is better cheistats or vitalization" not "which is better chei or zin"

I think they changed paradox so that "failure" never stops or alters spells and just causes anomalies.

>the question was "which is better cheistats or vitalization" not "which is better chei or zin"
So are you implying that zin is a better god then? I mean of course max piety chei stats are higher than max invo zin vit. But you have to look at all the costs associated with those getting those stats, not just piety costs or time limits

there are people in this general who will say that XOM is a better god than chei

he's very polarising

Are you saying Xom isn't good? I'll fucking find you and piss on your doorstep

feel free, but please take pictures

>xom finds it hilarious!

Xom killed me once while I was worshipping Chei. I opened a door and it was just a room with an altar to him and a shitton of sheep. He them immolated them.

>mfw

>the sheep explodes in a burst of flamesx6
>Xom's laughter fills the air
>Cheri appreciates the change of pace
>you die..

i wanna see a nemelex worshipper somehow die by drawing the xom card

>totally exhausted from night out
>tempted to keep playing my character a bit before I go to sleep
How do I stop this self-destructive behaviour?

Hey, that was me the other night. You do it by spectating someone for a bit and watching them splat, so you don't have to!

>tfw cleared lair for the very first time
I feel somewhat accomplished. I'm probably gonna die horribly because I don't know what to expect in the areas that lie ahead, but that's part of the fun isn't it?

I can't belief they fucking removed digging but kept the cacodemon and monster spells for it
That's so retarded

they didn't remove digging you retard
there was one forum post in which a single dev posted and it turns out all that dev does is tile art

They didn't remove it though.

Congrats man. You're at the part of the game where any death is 100% your fault usually, but you did really good getting there. Baby steps will get you that orb.

Thanks user.

>You're at the part of the game where any death is 100% your fault usually
I'm pretty sure most of my deaths up to this point have been mostly my fault. I tend to hoard items on any game and not use them unless it seems like I REALLY need them, which on here it's usually too late if I reach that point. But I think I finally figured out roughly when I actually need to use something. Now it's just a matter of playing it safe and seeing how far I can get without fucking up somehow.

Basically I ask myself this:
>Is there a reasonable chance I could die shortly?
If so, spend consumables. Unspent consumables are worthless if you're dead.
Blowing consumables in tight situations does take some getting used to. Especially fog scrolls.

Overspending consumables will can you stuck in an even worse situation in the future tho

underspending means you end up overspending anwyays though

you see a tough pack of enemies and instead of using might/agi/haste/invis you just try to hold tab at them, and then all of a sudden you're dangerously low hp and have to use tons of HW and blinking to survive/escape

I've never had that be a problem. Once I get to or beyond Lair I usually have more teleports than I know what to do with.

Wow! I've never seen a weapon more perfect for a mummy!

it's +3 though, probably worth it judging by all the "do i use this +2 club or my +0 triple sword?" posts

Thanks for the tip, user. I'll do just that.

Reminder that if you're already vulnerable to an element you can't get any more vulnerable. -rF is the same as --rF. Mummy stick.

[benny hill music intensifies]

Jesus christ lad.

I should have mentioned that there's a cyclops and 2 other hill giants on the same floor

what the fuck did I do to deserve this

Found a few useful robes and can't decide which one I should go with. I've been wearing a +2 robe of magic resistance for a while now, but just identified a couple new ones on the last floor of the orc mines. One is a +2 robe of the magi, and the other is a +2 robe of fire resistance.

I dunno how effective the magi effect is, and magic isn't my primary style so I'm not sure how worth it this one is. I figure the fire robe will be useful at some point, so it's almost definitely worth keeping it somewhere, but I don't know how useful magic resistance is vs any single element resist.

What are you?

Magic resist helps you save vs effect spells like slow, confusion, paralysis, banishment, etc. It's valuable.
That said, rF is definitely valuable over no resist. If you have no rF yet I'd wear it, because -rF sucks.
Don't bother with magi unless you need spellpower.

Vinestalker assassin, of Dithmenos. I've been mostly sneakstabbing when I can, but found a necromancy book and grabbed animate skeleton, and at some point I got summon imp, then eventually found a book of debilitations and grabbed a bunch of hexes out of that. So now I'm amassing groups of skeletons after I sneakstab a small group and let it snowball from there, supplementing my group with a few imps, and hitting targets with hexes as needed.

Yeah I don't have a source of rF yet, excluding the robe. I did find a ring of ice, so I'm set if I need some cold res.

Just don't leave the ring of ice on.
More than one person here has splatted by accidentally wearing a ring of fire/ice to the wrong dragon fight.

You'll want to wear something heavier than robes. Eventually, your stabs/hexes won't really cut it and you'll need some kind of backup plan, and solid melee is definitely a good one. Be really careful not to spread your exp too thin, VS don't get a lot of room to play around. See if you can't find an ego leather armor, but otherwise the +2 robe of magic resist it definitely best.

I've already had to rely on my melee in a couple big fights at the end of orc. I did leave a runed leather armor in orc:1, so I guess I can see if that one is any good. I've mostly been worried about the penalty to my stealth if I use anything other than robes. Armour isn't like shields where getting a high enough level negates the penalty, right?

The penalty should be extremely small for leather, almost nil. If you have more than 5 strength, your stealth won't drop at all and your spell % might take a small 1-3% hit. More for ringmail, but not by much. Getting 4-8 armour is pretty worth it to help out with that too, since its easy AC too.

>cum

Hmm, alright. That leather armor turned out to be poison resist. I assume that will be useful in the snake pit. So I guess I'll wear this and train my armor up some.

Honestly the thing you probably want most for snake is rElec.

If he has hexes, he can deal with shock snakes without actually fighting them. They have shit MR

They have that goddamn electricity explosion when they take damage though.

It feels like its been toned down some. I just went through there with an 80 HP, extremely shoddily skilled spen, and I could normally kill a confused one losing 40 HP at most. He should have an easier time.

Alright so then I kill a troll a couple floors after the orc mines and I get a troll hide off him, which I enchanted to make it into the armor, and I already had an amulet of regeneration. So now I have a race with really good natural regen, a regen amulet, and now regen armor. All I have to do is kite shit and I get my hp back so easy. Now if only I had more speed so I'd be able to dance circles around enemies as I heal back to full.

don't actually mention that

>combat
>this is a future feature

fucking really mate.

are you actually playing the thing?
I didn't know you could play it.
Is it good?

>shitposting: Legendary [65]

>play
You can walk around and look at stuff, hardly any gameplay for now

The fuck you want, an ungodly amount of work is being put into this thing and you're playing an early alpha.
I've waited FOREVER to anything playable to come out, just so I can worldbuild and see what's up.

you mean it actually compiles?
Holy shit that's great. I can't wait to play this thing just for the exploration value.
Have you SEEN those fucking trees

>call him a fag

One day, in twenty years, it'll be great

Are there any good roguelikes available for android. I would love to be able to play on my way to work.

Anyone have an idea why my stats are reduced?
Also manor are best buildings, food, library, clothes and only basic Zs to kill before spending days reading all the books

Pixel Dungeon is pretty decent.

Hoplite
HyperRogue

did you live
north 1, blink to lair probably
or potion petition idk

>an ungodly amount of work is being put into this thing
so what progress has actually been made? like what new features have been added in the last month?

>nearly die on D:2 as a formicid fighter vs a single adder

what the fuck do you do when the dice are against you early on like that? if i hadn't ID'd potions of ambrosia I'd be starting over.

Go to the website and read the news.
It's all there.

But I want to read it on /rlg/, the only active roguelike community in the world

Maybe you have a parasite or fungal infection or something

What game is this lads?

Ultima Ratio Regum

>Maybe you have a parasite or fungal infection or something
I think its the vitamin deficiencies stuff. I eat some stuff and now my int and dex are back to normal. Only way to check it is through debug menu so its pretty annoying

It's not even in the pastebin

That's because it's not released yet.
Can you even read the website.
user plz

I am looking at the website and you can still download it and play.it, like the other user posting screenshots is doing

It's an early alpha, you're just wandering your generated world and mirin' the view
Do you need a pastebin for that, user

It's not a complete game, as you can see from said user's comments about combat not being added yet. There is no point in even trying to put together a pasta for a game that is missing huge swaths of gameplay.

It's been some time since I played when did they change it so you are sent to abyss 2?

>Ultima Ratio Regum

Thanks user, is the full game supposed to be about running around findan clues about !NotIlluminati

Yes. If it's not meant to be played then why is it being posted here? There are plenty of incomplete roguelikes that are actively played, and many are in constant development, like DCSS or C:DDA. Finished games aren't continually updated beyond bug fixes, expansions, or DLC.

That sounds like a question for the user who posted it. There's also a marked difference between DCSS, which is basically a dev sandbox that will never be fully complete, and URR, which is incomplete to the extent that all you can do is walk around and look at things.

Now go read the fucking website for it instead of continuing to plague us with your willful ignorance.

In late game you get sent straight into abyss 4/5. The better you are, the deeper you go.

Is he still trying his hardest to avoid implementing any sort of gameplay?
Man, he should just come out and fucking admit that he's building a procedural generation engine and be done with it. So far it's just a roguelike walking simulator, and with each and every update he's promising to get to the mechanics 'soon'.
Stop kidding yourself, call it a programming project or showcase or whatever, done.

[help]
thank god for hallways

Remember: Digging is degenerate.

you're a formicid? Don't forget to dig your zig-zag killhole and quaff some might or something

oh shit that's right formacids can dig walls

>killhole

u af uy

then buff up for the slaughter

didn't matter the troll gored the shit outta me and i tried to tunnel to escape directly into another pack of orcs with priests

thats not a proper killhole

oh yeah, you're right, I need an extra 'u' or 'y' in there

Radiation? Hunger?

>radiation
Could be this, I looted a hazardous waste sarcophagus recently

be thankful and delete crawl, wondering why you'd bothered in first place

and do what, go back to failing at nethack instead?

nethack doesn't have puke sex, so Elona+

>tfw no roguelike that involves pissing yourself
>tfw not into guro or vore so most roguelikes don't twist my fetishes

[EXTERNALLY MISSING DICKU]

This is not the kind of game you rush, nor is it the kind of game that you really go back and play every update, I think. Glacier.

Guys what if the stairs in tomb closed behind you like in adventure movies and the only way to escape would be to press further on until you reach the rune?
This would help a lot against the dumb stairdancing tactic in an endgame area

>six months

the thing with roguelikes is to remember that taking 5% risks repeatedly causes you to approach a 100% chance of faultdeath.