/4xg/ - Stellaris, Civilization & 4X Strategy General

>Stellaris OP:
pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Stellaris Mod Archive
mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg

>What is stellaris?
A 4x game developed by paradox development studios.

>Stellaris Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

>Where is the white only mods/patch
Ask in the thread.

>/civ4xg/ OP:
pastebin.com/P5XCTQx9

>Civilization VI trailer with release date:
Youtube: Video not found

>More info on Civ VI:
pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
gamespot.com/articles/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/1100-6439691/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-b-7tP7IW5Q
mega.nz/#F!lItFkC5b!FqJ0y-EhPymjiR3LhJoFww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

These threads are too damn fast
>watching thread
>tab to game
>build a mining station
>order fleet to scout and kill some amoebas
>tab back
>250+ posts

Any tips for roleplaying this playthrough?

First, for dead game past year 2400 because of unoptimized shitty en

>Keep hearing people complaining there are too many habitable planets in the game.
>Scientists estimate there are 40 billions habitable planets in our 200 billions stars galaxy.
>For some reason the game is unrealistic.

Wouldn't a space-elevator or a fuck huge rail gun solve the problem of having to park fuel on the vessel itself? You just need either really strong materials for the Elevator or even better and heat resistant, low friction ceramics to launch the latter.

Sign migration treaties and outbreed the locals.

>we need 3 expansions at $30 each to bring the game up to how it should have been at launch
>trust us goyim

Is that Johan's brother

You need to get to space first to be able to build an elevator, and you're never going to be able to launch anything beyond simple (and very robust) communications satellites with a rail gun.

Basically the only reason we have a space program is because it was also an economical way to deliver nuclear warheads to other countries; if gravity is too much for that, it becomes too expensive.

I love how scientists are able to estimate something they have only seen 1 of to be so many.

A lot of them are a fucking joke.
Its like the ones that say "There HAS to be life in the galaxy other than us" just because its so big n stuff.

ruin every civilization more advanced than you with your nigger population

Am I able to play with my friend who pirated the game?

"Habitable" meaning "potentially bearing liquid water". By the definitions these estimates use, Mars and Venus are habitable.

Meanwhile Stellaris is throwing around full oxygen atmospheres and climates you can compensate for with a thick coat.

I'm thinking of setting up a /gsg/ multiplayer game. Has it been done yet?

Reply to this post if you're keen

1 exoplanet in 5 are habitable.

Habitable doesn't mean it has intelligent life, or any life as far as we know. Just means we could survive there.

>just because its so big n stuff.
Bitch, please. Do you know how big just our galaxy is?

Even if there isn't intelligent life in an 100 light years radius(Radio waves become background noise at around 20) around us, that's pretty much the distance between Brooklyn and New jersey.

By that definition Earth is habitable, so there's not really an argument here.

Stupid question: I don't need frontier outposts if the system falls within my borders, right? I can safely disband them if say I have a colonized planet in that system?

A lot of us were just playing a game that was just dropped by the host.

did the game from last thread go down? or is my internet just shit

>paradox almost fixes the game after 3 expansions
>the 4th expansion fucks the shit up entirely and breaks every single mana mechanic present in the game

>that's pretty much the distance between Brooklyn and New jersey.

Comparably speaking.

>cosmic idealism
My nigger
Like I said, we were all dropped I think. Might as well get into the group chat or something.

>when you and your buddy are the only two empires left standing on the titanic mounds of AI corpses

youtube.com/watch?v=-b-7tP7IW5Q

>By that definition Earth is habitable

Yes, but the point is that the estimate of ~1 in 4 stars having a habitable planet is sufficiently broad to define our star system as having three habitable worlds, possibly more if you include the gas giant moons. Habitable in Stellaris tends to mean a planet that is skewed to one end of a comfortable temperature range but has otherwise breathable air and an edible biosphere.

The exoplanet definition also includes super-Earths with three times our gravity, which will never be habitable to complex Earth life even if we bothered to terraform them.

There is a difference between planetary scientists' "we think this could support some subsurface archea" and Stellaris's "just step off the colony ship in your jumpsuit".

Nigga, that biovore is kawaii af.

Just buy the next 4 DLCs

I'm not defending Stellaris simplified colonization system, but you still need to research a few techs to colonize different planets.

Yeah, having biome planets is unrealistic but it's rule of cool.

>spiritualists hate robots
>xenophobes hate people that become super men

WHAT DO?

INVADE and ENSLAVE

Decided to share this because someone asked in another thread, and I forgot to reply before I went to bed.

Using this combination, it's possible to get free edicts and policies: Meaning, you can utilize every single policy and apply every single edict to all of your planets, all of the time. HOWEVER...

The only caveat is that your ruler has to start with Charismatic (Edict Reduction Cost); This is why venerable is so important, so your ruler lasts a long fucking time -- if not the whole course of your game with the right tech. If you haven't already tried this, enjoy! It's pretty ridiculous in single player, although it doesn't do much in MP for obvious reasons.

Too much stuff is locked out by xenophobe and spirtualist. Mainly because altered primary species are considered aliens.

>one year into game
>space amoeba warps into my home system and starts systematically attacking my construction ships, mining stations, and warp generators

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

>avians ask for migration access

Gives me a chuckle every time

Well, a subset of your own species modifying themselves into supermen is going to cause some social strife regardless of your values.

Xenophobe just seems totally pointless so far though compared to collectivist.

Yeah, and the atmosphere is never poisonous, and the planet is always in the goldie locks zone regardless of its distance from the star or the size/brightness of the star.

>Decide to make a militaristic human civilization.
>Don't pick xenophobe but decide to purge/slave all the xenos if they get in my way.
>I end up having different species serving in my armies and as rulers. Dat research bonus with natural scientists
>People living in peace inside my powerful country.
>I make some synthetics.
>I have a ton of influence so I decide to change my government to a democracy during peacetimes.
>mfw I realize I've become The Federation.

That's some of the reasons why diplomacy is so broken.

>xenophobe
>spiritualist
>democratic crusaders
>isolationists
>wary, even neutral fucks you
>will only research trade with federation
>will only sign pacts with bordering empires

It's not that diplocacy is bad or lack options, it's all the fucking brickwalls, it's beyond retarded.

Rate my Holy Turtle Empire race

>Holy
>Turtle
>Empire

How do I get the twitter bird as a race? Just saw it on a let's play and it is hilarious

if anyone wants to hop in a resurrected game, get into the vg Stellaris steam chat
We have a few slots in a game

>turtle
>not venerable

one
job

>Have a neighbor AI despotic empire
>10 years later they rename themselves and become a mega corporation, which made them less aggressive allowing me to improve standings drastically
Never thought AI can do this

I hope we get a flowing diplo mod we should be able to talk with even hostile empires let alone unfriendly and wary

id rate birds higher than anything other than other mammals

birds are our friends

>mfw my human empire became the Federation's evil mirror counterpart

You're right, I blew it.

It's four points though.

>war score crap only allowed up to 100 points
>so maybe 3-4 worlds tops

literally fuck this broken system.

I just want an option to make demands from my vassals. If they are inferior to me, why can't I demand credits and planets? Why my vassals don't pay me a tax?

Fuck that.

Prototyping my first ship design, I think it's got a satisfactory amount of improvements. Positron beams on the large mounts there.

I think after this I'll grab Fusion, my new drive tech, then try and snag dreadnaughts. Toss in a feasibility study of Arcologies and Adamantine alloys somewhere along the way.

For the brotherhood

Stellaris loading screens

mega.nz/#F!lItFkC5b!FqJ0y-EhPymjiR3LhJoFww

what's up with that ship design interface?

any traits that modify army damage and health are absolute trash and wasted points

they have 0 impact in the game compared to fleets

Planetary scientists define habitable as 'as far as the limits of biology and chemistry go, life is not actually instantly dead on the planet'.
Technically speaking, Venus is habitable because neither the temperature, pressure, or atmospheric composition is prohibitive to carbon-based life. The problem is that 'habitable' in Stellaris means specifically 'habitable by [primary species]', and if that species is human (or any big lifeform really judging from our own world) then the range shrinks dramatically than if your primary species was a hardy bacteria or some shit.

Friendly reminder that genocide solves everything except for SJW FE and Unbidden.

>mfw neighbouring spiritualist FE actually approves of genocide

I know what I'm doing until late game.

I lied. Reinforced containment finished a turn early, but Antimatter (I start with fusion) is a 7 turn project, not sure I want to do that yet.
Diverting to Modular Construction, which boosts trade income a hair, and I might toss in the final tech before AI after that, just to see how much an investment that would be.

Also, worrisome....

Not sure what you're talking about, it's pretty normal AFAIK. Three section tabs at the top can be switched left or right, or clicked on for a drop-down, and the tech options are normally collapsed, I have them open to show off my armors.

Belatedly, I'm a retard and didn't check to make sure it has enough power (it doesn't) but reinforced containment which I just got should bump that up to acceptable levels.

>Well, a subset of your own species modifying themselves into supermen is going to cause some social strife regardless of your values.
Yeah but in a universe full of squid faced alien horrors, are the guys on the ocean planet a few days trip away who modified them selves to have gills really such big deal? On the surface he at least still looks passably human if the portraits are to believed, even if you believe the human form is sacred, at least you'd like him better than the giant mushroom people or the walking crickets.

I don't think I'd be opposed to a smaller happiness penalty, but really the problem right now is how the game handles genetic modification. It feels entirely half-baked and doesn't really fit with how the devs described it originally. From how they talked about it I always assumed that genetically modifying the species could create sub-species, essentially the same species just slightly different, and if modified enough they could become an entirely different species all together. Right now it's just mechanically bonkers, and if you modify your entire race the game just treats them like alien from the other side of the galaxy, forcing you to forgo the feature entirely or take policies you might not want. I'd like to see the game have policies specifically for genetic modification and the people created from this, and for it to treat genetically modified members of your own species as entirely alien.

It solves SJW FE too, you just gotta purge harder.

>Each ethos has a set of techs only them can research.

That's actually pretty neat.

>the game doesn't tell you about this

That's actually pretty retarded.

>find awesome planet
>has some Pre-Sentients on it
>okay sure whatever
>land colony
>suddenly like 5 random guys are there, look completely different from the Pre-sentients

????
??
?????

>or it to NOT treat genetically modified members of your own species as entirely alien.

fixed

just keep going until they just surrender and give you whatever you wanted

Like what, pacifist/militarist, individualist/collectivist and so on?
All I really know about is that spiritualists get psi and materialists AI or something.

That webm was pretty funny. Shame it got cut down from what it might've been.

The war score crap only lets you demand 3-4 worlds.

purge non human scum

I think it's more fun that way.

You accidentally uplifted them.
Shoulda just bombed.

It's in their wiki. You can access it in-game using the help menu.

Once upon a time the only information you would get about a game came in the form of manuals...

Everyone get robots, I think. Materialistic get synthetics.

Collectivists get a tech to brainwash people.

>Not sure what you're talking about, it's pretty normal AFAIK.
You're playing Stellaris, right? What mod/skin are you using?

>its cheaper to demand an entire civilization submit to your will than it is to ask them to give up three planets

who thought this was a good idea

That is not Stellaris.

I think pacifists get psi too.

>Yeah but in a universe full of squid faced alien horrors, are the guys on the ocean planet a few days trip away who modified them selves to have gills really such big deal?
It's worse when you're mom is a slut than when some random slut is a slut user

That's intentional and is not bad game design, it's how most paradox titles work and prevents you from just blobbing the entire game instantly.

The bigger issue is that literally every other facet of diplomacy and war are missing from the game.

>Once upon a time the only information you would get about a game came in the form of manuals...

Once upon a time we burned people at the stake, what's your point.

The pre-sentients are still there, these guys just literally came out of nowhere

Second part meant for You can mod it out.

I didn't really think so. What game is it?

W-what?

Medium kek, user.

Gonna try for arcologies anyway.

Not played before. If I want to purge the galaxy, what ethics and what government would be best? Is there actually a benefit to having xenophobe if I just want to kill everyone rather than take slaves?

We should probably burn you at the stake for being such a disgusting casual.

Yo momma, faget.

Sword of the Stars, I think?

But it's different then I remember.

Is there any reason not to pick sedentary and weak?

Pic related: the master race according to stellaris

>wanting a game to not be obtuse makes me a cashul

Okay Timmy.

It is a pretty bad design tbqh. The fact war is so barebones, diplomacy is shit and there's basically no economics or intrigue just makes it worse.

Slaves are very useful, but only if you can suffer filthy xenos to live.

Sword of the Stars II

Human fleet coming for me.

if you want to purge you need to have either xenophobe or collectivist.

Don't research any tech

What mod?

The only ones locked out of psi are materialistic. Everyone else has a chance of getting it, but spiritualist's are much higher.

Pacifists get some happiness related tech/buildings.

No, it's not bad design. What, you want to fucking annex the entire faction the moment you win a single war?

The warscore design is an emulation of actual wars throughout history.

FFS just open the console and cheat

>hostilities automatically cease because lolwarscore
>even if you have the ability to take every single planet and wipe their pathetic fleets with a single battleship
>you can't even keep raiding their shit because of the truce
>they one-sidedly give you the demands even if you now are pounding them so hard anything up to and including genocide should be enforceable
Excuse me
Yeah well guess what, the manuals were better because they forced you to actually play the fucking game before minmaxing and shit and casul scum weren't everywhere.
>ethics affecting technology choices is ebin obtuse instead of neat surprise
People like you are why shit like the Thief remake are shit.

I'm convinced now I should've cheated planet control to as many planets as I wanted. I don't dislike the idea of subdiving so much, but the AI is committing atrocities to my pop management. It was so elegant before they fucked it up. Plus I was having lots of fun sending unruly pops to shitty planets to be slaves in the gulags, but now my core planets are all my species and I can't do that very well.