/evn/ - Word around school edition

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/994920323/omni-link-space-visual-novel-action-rpg
storydevs.tumblr.com/post/144499321394/100-reserved-profiles-editor-options
beta.storydevs.com/talent
aloeandcal.itch.io/aloe-and-cal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for making progress

Making progress should always come first.

But sometimes I get lazy.

No, the girl comes first.

It is okay. Take a rest and come back later. It's better than getting fed up and dropping it completely.

New Kickstarter from Unwonted Studios lol

Called "The Anomaly." I assume Veeky Forums blocks KS links

You're new here, huh?

>I assume Veeky Forums blocks KS links
check out the last thread

check the op image

kickstarter.com/projects/994920323/omni-link-space-visual-novel-action-rpg

nice art style imo.

>kickstarter.com/projects/994920323/omni-link-space-visual-novel-action-rpg

what a shame about literally everything else.

We had a long talk about this in a previous thread, that the art is badly placed, the guy has a history of disastrous failed game projects and starting shitfights over how great he is, and now he's on reddit bigging himself up again

It looks like it is from one of their partners. The sprite art looks terrible though.

go go power thread

that's bullying

I think when they're dead it's a bit beyond bullying

>another artist flaking
It's just funny now. Can't even be mad.

NAME
SHAME

CG, sprite, or BG?

Your game creation isn't complete without a few tickboxes of 'Artist flaked? DRINK!'

I'm gonna use stock assets for my first game to avoid this.

This is my biggest reason for using stock backgrounds. I'm happy to pay the costs of custom art but I can't deal with the headaches of crazy artists.

Should stop hiring shitty artists

but where do I find non-shitty artists who aren't booked up?

What do you do when you're the flaky artist? I asked myself to do some art and never heard from myself again.

NAME
A
N
D
SHAME

Nice try. Youre not going to poach me from me.

page10

nothing we haven't seen before

true

truly, we are world-weary and wise

We've been page null ebfore.

With FL studio in demo, I can still listen to the music I make even if I can't share it, right?

Just pirate it for now, it won't call the cops on you

>friend asks me to review game
>i take a look
>everything looks alright
>except for art
>friend's personal politics forcefully injected in this game is very unappealing
>"do you like it?" asks friend
>know that the artist is super sensitive and I really do not want to get into a massive political debate with my friend on why I think the writing is garbage
>"it's okay"

hahahaaaaaaaa

do you guys never review your friend's games for similar reasons?

I don't know any friends who make games.

I'm vicious with writing critiques for friends, though.

That's why I prefer to comment anonymously

I'd hope for my friends to be honest about what's wrong with my game so I can change it, but I'm not the type to get upset.

But I'm a hypocrite, because I wouldn't say anything bad about my friends' games, because most people get upset.

It's not just about people getting upset. Sometimes the list of what's wrong with their game is so long that I don't know where to begin, and mentioning just one or two problems feels pointless.

As long as you know how to configure properly your firewall, right? :^)

Well, it is kind of difficult not to inject something political if you go beyond the scope of a simple HS dating sim. The problem is when anything and everything what happens is a forceful attempt to proof conclusively the beliefs of the author.
I mean, Animal Farm touches somewhat thorny topics too, but does it properly. I assume your friend deals his shit way to heavy handedly?

Most people don't want a critique, they want you to confirm their opinion that their work is the best thing ever.

>having friends

Even if it's not heavy-handed if I think your politics are complete bullshit it's going to make it hard to comment about the rest of your game in any way other than "please don't release this"

Many people want very small nudgey make-it-more-perfect critique plus confirmation that their work is okay. I don't think most people demand to hear that their work is flawless.

>letting any application connect to the internet without your explicit control and attention

I'm sure this site for stealing software is completely above-board!

You would be surprised of how prevalent is tech illiteracy.

Did more work on the editor options for the storydevs search. Had some assistance from Shadocchi which greatly improved things. The tool tips are elaborated on here: storydevs.tumblr.com/post/144499321394/100-reserved-profiles-editor-options

Or you can just hover over them yourself here: beta.storydevs.com/talent (check the 'editing' box under skills) Also, that's the beta siteā€”use the www for reserving handles. The search works, but it won't turn up anything if you specify options since the options themselves are a WIP.

>friends
I don't have this problem.

I used to have friends.
Then I got hungry.

you're my friend

We're all friends here!

Nah. I hate that guy. And you.

Hey uhh...I have the opposite problem of usual here. I'm an artist, and my commissioner flaked on me and another artist. We did sprites before payment, because the commissioner was our friend and had a good record. What do we do with the sprites? We'd like to be able to display the art, but they're not our characters, but the commissioner didn't pay...They're active on social media but won't reply to our messages. It's been a year.

Hey, they clearly don't care about the art anymore, hand them over here, they're public domain now.

Uh... name and shame?

Naming and shaming commissioners is equally good, because they end up encouraging artists to flake.

Release them as CC? I mean, you can't sell them, but you still own the art.

It won't get you money, but it will fuck with the commissioner.

If they keep ignoring the messages this is probably the way to go. Or a slightly more polite callout which involves publicly saying "I did some art for @name and I'd like to post it..."

Sell them or something. If you post them for free there is the possibility this commissioner will use them. Add to your commission policy something like "If you don't pay for the work I've done after x time, then I have the right to sell it."

It's just, some other artist did the character design sketches for the commissioner and was paid. I don't want to screw over whoever did the original designs. I guess it's just a loss for the two of us who did the sprites.

That would work if I'd done the designs as well. I wouldn't feel right selling cgs or sprites of another artist's design, even if the design belongs to the commissioner.

I'd tell artists I know personally, but I'm hesitant to say anything publicly. As far as I can tell just by looking, the commissioner has always paid before. It would suck to ruin their record if this is a one time thing.

Maybe they should have thought about that before they didn't pay you and ignored all attempts at contact.

>It would suck to ruin their record if this is a one time thing.
They can then say it was a misunderstanding and pay you and you can publicly forgive them.

You're as much of a moron and a cuck as everyone who puts up with artists who flake on them.

We are all weak creatures.

ha ho lol

Publish the pictures, especially here so we can see if you suck and if we want to commission you.

I'm trying to decide if I want to add voice acting to an already released game. It feels like it might be a waste, but there is also getting a new expansion to it to bring people back.

Do you have the money, resources, and patience to do voice acting properly or are you just going to get your homies to read some scripts and fuck you up senpai?

Both.

Adding new content makes your diehard fans happy but doesn't bring in a lot of new people. Are you going to charge for the upgrade?

That's probably for the best.

Nah. I'm also making it standalone, so it can be free for everyone.

Resident necro in tickling duty

That's a stupid idea.

I wish I could just like make game

I wish I could just like make game

How the fuck do I speed up the auto forward time on my game?

its in options.rpy

Is it finally time to maek some progress ?
or not?

I worked today for the first time in three weeks.
10 hours mostly fixing crap.
Still, feels good to be back.

post progress

I write. Unlike artists, can't really show you guys shit until it's nearly done.

Got one more background done. 6 of 18 done. Emailed a musician using google translate. I sure hope they reply and that I can read it.

Are you ordering some national chinese songs ?

They're japanese. I wasn't seeking that out but don't know any similar musicians.

You could post excerpts, like on Veeky Forums. I'd read that.

aloeandcal.itch.io/aloe-and-cal

>mac.rar
What?

What, can't open .rar on mac ?

Herro minasan.
I is a artist.
You may hire me for my projects.
PAID only.
Pic related is 8-12$

Not that I know of

I don't have close friends who make games to critique, only people who I've either collaborated with (and I critiqued the coding and writing and they critiqued the art I was doing) or acquaintances who made their own games and asked me for an opinion.
My close friends never took offence for the critique, nor did I for the art, though sometimes we felt a bit bummed when we made too many mistakes.

The close acquaintance was a bit different: I started talking to her specifically because she asked for beta testers and she started sending me art and excerpts of the script before she inserted it into the VN (that never got completed). I told her whenever I thought something was not working but she usually said there was a reason why my criticism wasn't valid. After several times like this, I just told her that I probably just wasn't the kind of person she was aiming her VN to and stopped giving her critique.

Then she started emailing me because I wasn't online every day and told me I should spend more time talking to her because she was so lonely and got irritated when I told her I wanted to spend time with my bf when I wasn't working instead of talking to her, so I blocked her and that was it.

nice blog

Keeps us alive