agdhg.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/48/
agdhg.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/bokube-review-feed-back/
youtube.com/watch?v=wsU5DJIxTJg
clyp.it/gkfwsuum
soundcloud.com/cyclophobia
youtube.com/watch?v=Ert3s_FkrXQ
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184452157/luvvie ducks field theme.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=DQKnaj6ayrg
gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/goal-based-vector-field-pathfinding--gamedev-9007
www2.cs.uregina.ca/~anima/408/Notes/Crowds/HybridVectorFieldPathfinding.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hello! :)

UE4dev here

This is cool, thanks for making it. You should open source it, post it in github or something. That way people could contribute to and fix any problems with it.
The last Monday recap guy disappeared and never released his code, that's why the past few recaps have been terrible. So it would be nice to have some code available, in case you disappear someone can still make the recap.

fuck this is groovy, has a banjo kazooie feel to it. I'm stealing it for my game until I find something else. not duckdev

Trigger brushes! Moving brushes!

Why aren't you using UE4? Reinventing the wheel here man. You could be working on actual gameplay by now

As a UE4 dev I don't appreciate your false flagging

Im serious though. That stuff he is wasting his time programming comes built-in inside a free engine?

>free

solid bait

Now you got me thinking. Why am I making a game, there are already a whole bunch of games already made?

>it's a "shitposter baffled about enginedevs" rerun

where can i find some high quality sword slash sounds? every one i see on freesound.org is echo-y as fuck

Daily reminder than if you're not using Unity© you will never "Create games, connect with your audience, and achieve success"™

I should have been more clear:

I'm not in college exactly, I'm in my country's version of college, which is free. I'm in my first year now of three in total. In the third year they offer coding lessons too which is sort of neat but I don't know if its worth the 2 previous years. I'm 18 but most of the people in my class are 16/17.

Hows it like living with your parents in your 30s? It sounds like you have hit some sort of mid life crisis, or are you just taking a break?

Do you mean the sword hitting something, or just going through the air?

Hey guys, I want to get into making games. Obviously it's a huge practice, so I'd like to start small and simple and build my way up from there. I have a fair amount of experience in C++, should I start writing games from scratch or use something like Unity/Unreal?
I've heard it can take years to even get something workable if starting from scratch. I do like to think I write code pretty quickly and efficiently though.

My point still stands. you can open up UE4, drag a trigger volume into the map in less that 10 seconds compared to however many weeks that guy spent programming it himself.

You have individuality and creativity?

Im not trying to be mean or a troll, it just legitimately irks me to see people waste their time like this

maybe you shouldn't have gone to college
the amount of stress that college got you isn't worth it
70% of americans are going to college, so unless you are doing masters you are not competing with anyone

Here's a neat article about some Overwatch technical stuff.
polycount.com/discussion/170394/technical-study-overwatch-image-heavy

both

>the amount of stress that college got you isn't worth it
It wasn't really stressful. It was mostly community college in between city and job hopping, until I finally settled on a topic that I felt could be my "field". But I should have waited, I think most people should wait a bit after highschool. Nobody knows what the fuck they want to do right after highschool, it's better to get an apt and do healthcare or wash dishes for a couple years first.

Going in line with what people wanted, I am doing more content on stuff that isn't usually covered. I am also still correcting the posts.

This is a small list I have created over time of things people enjoy in games
agdhg.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/things-people-like/

Guide 2
agdhg.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/48/

Bokube review
agdhg.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/bokube-review-feed-back/

Want your own review/feed back post for you game? Just ask!

If its possible, I would like to be in OP posts, Thanks.

What do you do game dev wise? Learning code or anything?

Hey, I'm new to dev, is there a "best" way to go about making 3D levels (Unity)?

I've been messing around with the actual gameplay in a test room of sorts, but it's just daunted on me that I'll have to make a level.

How would I go about doing that? Will my hierarchy just be full of Box1, Box 2, Box 3... etc., or are you supposed to organise it somehow.

> better to get an apt and do healthcare or wash dishes for a couple years first
plus after you're taxably independent (I think 26), you pay much less and have poor-person grant elligibility. Do your generals at a community college first and the whole thing is very cheap and you won't waste time waffling about what you want to pursue.

>Things people like: Title screens

No.

I'm at the stage where i dropped out of uni and lived as a NEET for a couple of months now and i can't find a job because people don't want to hire an ugly sperg

how important are shadows in a game?

I would like this to not be in OP posts. It reads like a 12 year old wrote it. And I disagree with most of what you have in that list, and got nothing from your very implementation-specific previous guide. Sorry man, but I think you need to work harder. There are a billion guides and whatnot out there that should go in the OP before your sloppy wordpress site.

>Main Musical Theme Important
>Can never stress this enough
And if your suggestion is that you'll take feedback, no, not our job to edit your blog.

I hate them, I wish all games had an option to turn them off.

As in you dress badly and have poor hygiene or do they just not want to hire a dropout and you're just hard on yourself? Also are you trying to get jobs in the industry or just in general?

This shit doesn't work properly.

Hey you posted here a long time ago right? It started as farming? I like your art but I was mad you moved away from farming desu

hmm, maybe i wont include them then. one of the plot points does revolves around a shadow though, so hopefully it wont look too silly having one there.

i did! hello. i thought everyone was all farmed out after stardew valley :)

> it's better to get an apt and do healthcare or wash dishes for a couple years first.

i don't think that information would help, your parents would probably drive you insane until you signed up for college.
old people don't understand education at all

Part of asserting yourself as an adult is making adult choices like putting off college until it's cheaper and you have more focused interests, possibly against the wishes of your parents.

Instead of beating a dead horse and crying to be noticed how about you actually write something novel?

Also that "things people like" just seems like "what I like".

I dress okay and i take care of myself. I just have a goofy asymmetric face and am very insecure. I'm trying to find general jobs, but half of them i'm too shy to apply to and i don't think i'll fit in.

Also that was me being a harsh critic. My actual feelings are that it needs work, but I'm happy that you're making consistent efforts in this community.

there is no such thing, at least if you live in their house they gonna treat you like they own you

if u are from 90's-2k generation sit down with your parents and explain to them how a degree in 2016 is different than a degree in 1970

Fake it till you make it is the general rule when it comes to getting confident and stop being shy, you just need to get out of your comfort zone and try new things. It sounds like things can only go upwards in your life, so why not just try? Do you go to the gym or do running? Are you social at all?

English is not my first language, I am practicing.

That looks pretty cool man. Some of the units look a little confused but that's some nifty pathfinding.

if only, pathfinding user, if only...
this shit is too slow, and I have no idea how to make it faster.

Oh don't call me pathfinding user lol. That shit is so far over my head. Conceptually I understand it, but I can't ever wrap my head around coding it. My only bastion is GM's built in pathfinding functions.

thanks nodev ;)

Yeah maybe i'll pretend i'm a millionaire too and that i have a gf. It doesn't work that way.
I stay at home everyday and i see a friend about once a month. I was supposed to go on a great scholastic journey where i would spend all my time studying books and making games, but that only lasted a month or two. Now i just play videogames and browse Veeky Forums all day.

Is anyone devstreaming? I just got home from getting my teeth wrenched around and I was gonna draw up some enemies and throw em in my game. Could stream if anyone's bored.

github.com/HowDoGameDev/AgdgRecap

Checked in the important bits.

Posted a progress video earlier today.
youtube.com/watch?v=wsU5DJIxTJg

Currently i'm working on the duck giving some feedback to the player when he is happy or not.

I'm not telling you to lie to people, I'm telling you to act confident until you get confident. That is how it works. I just want to encourage you to make a better life for yourself. I doubt you're happy with how things are now.

You gonna include subtitles for the quacking impaired? Get some [quacks innocently] in there?

this shit is so hard :/

U RDY AGDG??

clyp.it/gkfwsuum

Is that Rob Miles?

sry did not mean to quote

Its a better suggestion than the guy who suggested including the nine inch duck dongs.

I was thinking of being able to unlock a duck translator, but i'm not sure.

>clyp.it/gkfwsuum
You make that?

You don't get it. Not a single confident person in the world needed to "pretend to be confident". People are born attractive and the rest of life just flows by for them. They get confident by the positive interaction they have with other people.

I appreciate you trying to help me, but don't tell me that i just need to pretend that i'm confident. And no i'm not happy with the way things are, i feel like a slob. Gamedev related i'm gonna try to make a really small puzzle game and finish it for once.

Nah I'm cursed by duck dicks. My friends, for the last 4 years or so, seem to like writing "duck dicks" and then drawing tons of curly shapes on my dry-erase Shopping List. EVERY TIME they come over. I just gave up on erasing it so at the moment its 100% different names for dicks, and in the margins is our actual shopping list.

Man I love my friends

>i'm gonna try to make a really small puzzle game and finish it for once.
Looking forward to seeing it!

soundcloud.com/cyclophobia

dropped some tracks for your pleasure fags, enjoy.

>having friends
s-sounds annoying

I need to redo my tutorial level:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ert3s_FkrXQ
The 3rd level in this video is a bonus stage I'm playing around with, along with showing off my lame death animation.
the sound effects weren't me they were my friend

Hey flappy skull dude guy, where are you streaming at? I'm stalling out here so a distraction would be grand.

YEA!!

I'm moving back to jp community.

Have to say there are some pretty good musicbros in agdg for some reason

more

you have to wait for VIRTUA WAVE demo

I don't know if you saw my post last thread but i made you a fan song:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184452157/luvvie ducks field theme.ogg

You're gonna make it /agdg/

youtube.com/watch?v=DQKnaj6ayrg

>agdg is attracting bloggers

help

> I'm not...
> I'm telling you...
> I just want...
> I doubt...
For saying you're helping someone else, it seems like its really about you

quick question about dev'ing. if your best bro is a game dev and your the idea guy, and he spends all his time lately making progress, but he doesnt have any time to have a gf, is it ok to suck him off so he doesnt lose focus on his dev and have his productivity drop. p.s. im not gay i just want to like make game

This must be your first time here. Welcome to /agdg/, just like make game!

Kickass. Sounds great!
Streaming on Twitch! My handle is Jasozz.

Just started! Gonna be drawing up a variation of an enemy, listening to chill music, and then implementing the enemy. Might do some audio mixing too.

you're*

>i feel like a slob
Try this one weird tip: cleaning off your bathroom mirror, it helps more than it seems like it would

Go away with your exclamation points, normie

Already confused about code I wrote a few hours ago

this is quite duckly, I'm not duckdev but it's real nice.

Haha this is amazing. It couldn't be any more PS1!

New rule, you fucks have to upload an image when complaining, im tired of how dreary yall becoming

Thanks mate

why is everyone so flakey? i find it ironic that the rotatevania artist could barely find someone reliable to work with.

people are so hard to deal with we are lucky that we have to work for money and not for anything else otherwise nobody in this friggin world would get along

This is why I think collab jam is an excellent idea.

You work with people on a short term project. If they flake it isn't a big deal, if you stay together then you have found your dev bros for life

But I'm going to sleep!

Been working on some fallout 4 mods for weapons and new power armors and stuff, but I need someone who knows how to texture. Any of you guys interested in non pixel stuff? ?

where's your game

This is a blue board, I can't post Cockguzzler McFagface Quest XVII here.

That is amazing! Kinda soothing but fun sounding at the same time.

If you wanted it, it can be the field theme in game.

a game about making fallout 4 mods? I don't get it

C# brogrammer here, would collab for a jam

It's actually at 21 or 22, not 26.

Shouldn't have used OOP where it doesn't fit my man.

Yes, what else are you useful for idea guy?

Is it better to use character controller or a rigidbody in Unity for player control? I've been using character controller, but I've ran into a few problems and I found this is a highly controversial topic in the Unity community so I was wondering what /agdg/'s experience with it was like.

gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/goal-based-vector-field-pathfinding--gamedev-9007
This is a simple guide for something I think would work well. It clashes with your model a little bit because you seemingly have a constant speed for units. I don't think there's a solution for that though. Not any you could come up with anyway.
www2.cs.uregina.ca/~anima/408/Notes/Crowds/HybridVectorFieldPathfinding.pdf
This is more advanced but very similar. Definitively worth paying attention to.