Buying physical gold and silver the thread

This is a thread about buying physical gold and silver ans long term investment and protection against inflation.

What to by gold or silver? Both?
When to buy?
How many to buy?
Where to buy/sell it at low markup?

Feel free to share everything you know about the above.

Other urls found in this thread:

macrotrends.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

buy gold at 800(or below) to 1k(maybe slightly above?) sell at 1500 above

buy silver 12 or below sell at 19 or above.

oil ? 50 or below sell at 90 or above

dont for get wheat corn soy sugar etc.

macrotrends.net/

Thanks user I was thinking to go into silver first, but it looks that I'm already too late for the party.

If you want legit gold closest to spot without spending $100k+, go for 1 oz Canadian maple leaves with abrasions. The Royal Mint of Canada fucked up packaging (combined with 99.99% gold 1982 & beyond) so that they're exceedingly difficult to handle without scraping. You can get slightly scuffed ones for 25-35 over spot. Good starter for a stack.

>Where to sell?

You said long term hedge against inflation (and I presume central bank fuckery). That means you don't sell it until a convertible currency comes back into circulation (don't hold your breath, Nixon "temporarily" suspended the gold window 45 years ago) or until you absolutely need the funds and it's at a profit or you're so destitute you just need money. Gold is real wealth, real long-term savings. You don't sell it unless you're building a fortress.

>Where to buy?

Ideally a local, repubtale dealer where you can verify numismatics and find a competitive price against megadealers like APMEX, but they're alright, too.

Don't mess with silver. It's nothing but a door stop.

>Buy gold at $800 or below

Woah man, didn't know this board had posts from 2009.

Seriously though, we'll be lucky to see triple digit gold ever again.

still, i recommend sticking to price principles.
there is no need to compromise when there are so many other securities/commodities .

But the supply of dollars has quadrupled since gold was $800. Why would it ever drop that low again? Gold miners would have to step up massively in output.

Also, the price of money (interest) is absurdly low today. If you abide by that gargantuan increase in the modest M0 supply and the cheapest prices of money known to capitalist history, why would gold ever drop to triple digits?

i hear you. but your talking about something you dont' fully understand.

commodities are there own marketplace, contingent on numerous un predictable variables.

about the only thing constant is their cyclical nature.
i dont really see a HARD correlation between gold prices and interest rates.

Let's say I buy physical gold, and the value quadruples.

Nice. How do I liquidate it?

buy gold etf.

>Don't mess with silver. It's nothing but a door stop.

OK but if the shit the fan, what are the poor people will use to trade and save? Isn't the silver seriously undervalued these days?

>physical gold

obviously in case of catastrophe what everyone will trade with is useless shiny metals

By catastrophe I envision unbelievable hyperinflation.

It's historically proven that the people don't stop trading between them, just because it's hyperinflation. And instead of using bags full of paper the first thing that naturally occurs to my mind is the good old sliver.

You sell it to your local gold salesman. Tax might be an issue depending on your country and also transportation. I transported 50k worth of gold with my father from the capital to our local banksafe once. We were armed but no problems really.

What cyclical nature?

"History is one damn fact after another."

What was cyclical about the Bank of England abandoning the gold standard in the early 1930s? I don't mean restriction of specie payments, as they did in earlier times of duress, but outright abandonment.

Gold is a bizarre commodity. Its predictable industrial uses are scarce compared to other commodities, yet it has commanded many for millennia. It is so abstract.

I mention the price of money and the supply of money because higher interest rates were historically used to draw in gold to vaults. Is it pure coincidence that US Treasuries spiked when gold reached its all-time inflation-adjusted high during the Volcker hike? Rapid surges in paper issuances without commensurate increases in bullion ended in higher prices for bullion.

You're absolutely right about diversifying, though. OP should consider investing in freshwater/protein producers, things demanded strongly in proportion to the ever-bourgeoning population.

>what will poor people do if SHTF

They'll die. Seriously. In that scenario you want consumer staples, healthcare, and defense goods.

Does anyone buy gold IRL?

How do you test it?

Pawn shops can have decent deals

>gold salesman

ah. they give you fair market value?

If you have gold bullion from a reputable mint and no substance abuse problems, it should command at least melt/spot value. Premiums apply for collectibles, rare things.

Just do a simple XAUUSD search before you walk in the store. Maybe try to negotiate at yesterday's market closing price if you don't want to look desperate.

I assume that you're an American, right?

What make you people think, that if there is an economic collapse everyone will instantly start screaming, running, burning, raping, looting. And all food supplies/production equipment will disappear in seconds and no one will try to grow crops, create goods and trade them ever again.

I know that the Jews of Hollywood are trying to terrify you 24/7 with their "apocalypse and shit", but that's just ridiculous.

Canadian.

So many people live hand to mouth as it is. Do you think people will just chill out and go to the whiteboard and draw up solutions for how to cope with dwindling resources?

What happened to the people of Yugoslavia in their awful wars of the '90s? Did they all get around and hug each other, pass the talking feather, and spitball how to access int'l capital markets to start up sustainable farming in their collapsing state or did it descend into sectarian hell? People sold their bodies for cans of beans.

I don't own guns or think anyone could be some action hero, but I have the basic sense to know that canned food and antibiotics are more valuable in emergencies than my fucking Pamp Suisse bars.

>People sold their bodies for cans of beans.

Lol no. Life is not Hollywood move lad.

In fact people in Serbia never stop working and paying their taxes during the war. Yes they were poor. Yes there was shortage on this or that, because there was an embargo, but no one was chimping out like a crazy animal.

There was hyperinflation but the whole country switched to Deutsche Marks and Dollars and the life carried on as usual.

You'll be kicking yourself when silver is $60

What is the chance for this?

100... eventually

it a long time it will surely dip before that rest easy
i bought at $15 and will sell above $25

People told my father that when it was $2 an ounce, if he had bought then, we would have been alot better off when I was growing up, even factoring in inflation over the years.

Silver is being used in industrial uses alot more, and is hardly ever recycled like gold. It's definitely a good metal for low income people to invest in, just to hold against inflation, but also as an investment.

If your young, you should get in the habit of buying an ounce of silver, and a gram of gold, every paycheck. It comes out to about $50, and is a good way to save for retirement outside of roth IRA's. ect.

>and a gram of gold
My bad, I meant half gram of gold.

>SHTF
>everything collapses in one second, everywhere in the world, and for all eternity
>people start forgetting about the value of gold (which held its value in the last 5,000 years, including during the Roman Empire collapse, the Black Death, or right now in Syria) and began to rape your mother's corpse instead because why not lol
>that is why you should discard gold and invest in toilet paper rolls: because you will shit the bed

Seriously, what's up with the immaturity on this board?

>invest in toilet paper rolls
why you can make soap out of fat and ashes and simply wash your ass.

>What to by gold or silver? Both?
Gold and gemstones in jewelry for SHTF, silver in coins and bars for market speculation.
>When to buy?
On the low end of the market - commodities tend to move opposite opposite of stocks.
>How many to buy?
What's your yearly net worth?
>Where to buy/sell it at low markup?
Local coin shop 100% of the time due to the hush-hush nature of cash transactions.

>when plebs don't understand the govt policies that allowed the price of gold to go up
>when plebs don't understand the long term effects of letting interbanks physically store gold
>when plebs didn't realize that at the peak price, certain countries were buying gold in record demand (india and china)
>not realizing that with the threat of reversion the allowance of interbanks to physically hoard gold caused price to fall from its peak
>not understanding what a bull trap is

I rarely post on this forum because of how fucking retarded and clueless almost all of you are. All you have to do is some basic research, connect some basic dots, and you'll get a basic idea of what's actually going on.

>when fucktards have no idea what the relationship between gold and interest rates are
>when fucktards have no idea the relationship between commodities and the dollar

technically on a long enough time line they're right though

granted it might take another 20-30 years

No. It would take at least after your death. 20-30 years and America is barely leaving a golden era.

i had a feeling i should sell soon
this feels like a bulltrap
but can't put my fingers on any specifics