iDOLM@STER Thread
Previous iM@S Thread: Archive of materials: yukipo.com/
Japanese news: imasnews765.com
Official upcoming events schedule: idolmaster.jp/schedule/index.php
Streaming music: shijou.moe/imas-radio
CG material translation archive: pastebin.com/jf7CiTya

New here? Question about the games? Check out the FAQ and Resource Links:
pastebin.com/jMdrYzmg
Please check the archive of materials if you're looking for something older, or check the most recent news post for newer things.

Ongoing:
April 8th to May 20th: IM@S Characro cafe&bar "Forever! We are..." campaign
April 24th to Jun 19th: Idolmaster official shop promo in Shizuoka 109
May 6th to August 28th: IM@S Platinum Stars theme for PS4 releases (free for a limited time)

Upcoming:
May 21st: Million Live! Backstage special 4koma palette releases
May 28th: Cinderella Girls anime official fanbook releases
Jun 1st: Cinderella Girls Cute jewelries! 003 releases
Jun 15th: Cinderella Girls Passion jewelries! 003 releases
Jun 29th: Cinderella Girls Cool jewelries! 003 releases

Latest news post: + youtube.com/watch?v=BeWfe0jjU9s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4JGTgs6p5K0
mega.nz/#F!LBUXCBIL!0Dp33b2hDvzwlrQRqKMx_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sluts.

I LOVE YOU NOA

Man, we almost died there. Good thing we still got to post pictures after bump limit, though. When was the last time we didn't get a new thread until page 10?

Whew this event had some great art.

Only reason we lasted so long this time is because it's night time in Malaysia.

Last time we lasted until page 10 was a few days ago, was just as surprising as this time was.

Nighttime in Lily.

wew Chihiro

Putting this demon in a box and sending it to Tanzania.

> rather than letting them all be in sync all the time.
They actually aren't, there are slight variations in timing that make them not completely in sync. Plus, if you do Onegai Cinderella solo, only the center idol gets mouth flapping. But yeah, more varied choreography for the different positions in a unit would be nice.

I'm gonna churn inside Fred while she rakes her fingers down my back.

Please use me to relieve your stress, Chihiro.

Did anyone get Airu Harmonized yet? I'm not going to bother with iTunes.

Otherwise it looks like it's coming up elsewhere tomorrow.

>night time
>8.46pm

Oh, boy. This again. Missed it the first round.

The game supports different lip syncing for each of the idols.
It also supports two different sets of facial expressions, one for the center and the other for all four remaining members.
But the core motion of the dance uses the same animation clip, even though there are slight timing differences. (Center first, Left1 and Right1 next, Left2 and Right2 next. Webm in the spoiler puts all five in the same location to demonstrate this.)

I love that image and that outfit. Iku would be fun to take out on a date.

Omelette du fromage with Fred

SUPERPURE PARTY

yeahchie

Isn't that past your bed time?

I doubt it's 9:48 in Malaysia.

Hell indeed.

AFTERIMAGES WITH MASS

Ranko's really put on some weight. She should work on getting rid of those flabby legs.

Fool, this is just a small sample of Ranran's true powers.

So it's just the devs not wanting to have to do unique choreography for all five members, then.

>devs
What makes you think devs are in charge of choreography choices?

Holy shit, it's a slow dance, but in reality, Ranko is moving so fast in real-time that she's leaving afterimages!

Tripping wit Ranran.

Fred is a lewd idol who loves to get destroyed.

Technically, using five different animationclips is quite possible.
But like that one guy said last thread, that causes data bloat, because an animationclip for a song is like ~2 MB. Make five separate ones and that suddenly becomes ~10 MB per song.
Not this may not be a problem for people here, but this game is made to have mass appeal, to drag in as many people as it can.

She learned to hide them. Isn't she just amazing?

Oh wait, it's this one.

"devs" is a general term that refers to Bamco staff beyond the Cygames guys actually making the game.

10MB per song isn't as bad as you make it sound. Plenty of people happily watch 100MB+ YouTube videos on their phones without any fuss.

How many songs are in this game, user?

That's 10MB by 65 songs or so. And that's permanent storage, not temporary. Factor in all the other assets you'll download and it adds up fast.

Not every song would need to have five different animation tracks. And as points out, there are already timing differences between each position, so there's already five different animation tracks for some songs.

Yet there are already songs in the game that have multiple animation tracks. So it's evidently not impossible. They just choose not to do it.

>there are already timing differences between each position, so there's already five different animation tracks for some songs.

I'd assume these are derived from one basic animation on the fly.

Is there any reason why they couldn't use the same animation track for 90% of the song, but switch to individual tracks for specific parts? That'd save space.

Of course. They choose it form a good reason.

don't talk shit about fred

Frederica is my idol!

Yeah.
Lazyness.

It's not that simple. For starters, the game is already huge.
Add extra 8 MB or so per song and that bloats it up further.
On top of that, imagine someone out in a poor cellphone reception area wanting to play a song for the first time. Oops. 10 MB download.
The devs have many things to consider than just "let's put in all this stuff to make it look great".

No, it's that it's the same clip played at slightly different times. So it doesn't take five times the space, yet provides an illusion of difference.
Every song currently in SS only uses a single animationclip for the choreography.

But in the end, only Bamco and Cygames knows the reasons. All that any of us come up with is only speculation.

I can't talk for them, but this could be certainly done. It's a complication though and would definitely rise the time and price of development.

>Every song currently in SS only uses a single animationclip for the choreography.
What about Nagareboshi Kiseki, the subject of much debate in the last thread?

They are bad, bad children alright.

Freddie I laugh you
because I love you

Difference is in the way the characters are positioned. They still do the same movements.

>debate
Looked more like one angry autist screaming at everyone about how "right" he was despite people agreeing or bringing up valid counter points.

>liking frederica

I want to destroy Fred.

*licking

But they'd still need separate animation tracks to get into those different positions.

>valid counter points
Why would the OFA DLC have the same problems that Starlight Stage does if the problem is mobile phone hardware limitations?

Shut up Arisu, you're a kid.

They wouldn't. You set up the starting position and orientation, and play the animation there.

No, they don't. It uses the exact same animationclip for all five models.

>Platinum Stars and VR ready

Sorry, but that's wrong.
The three center idols do actually change orientation mid song.
youtube.com/watch?v=4JGTgs6p5K0
They start out at the same angle, yet at 2:05 they all point their hands towards the center, meaning the center-left and center-right have to change orientation.

I thought the general consensus was that they picked image songs that inherently have poor/simple choreography due to the idol's associated, well, image.

>Rapsodia
>Never Say Never
>S(mile)ing
>Koi Kaze

And then you had songs that did lend themselves to a more active choreography like Mitsuboshi and Star.

What did the user mean by this?

you will fail

What?

Only thing that changes is the character's positioning. Not the animation of character movement.
Do you not understand the difference between these two?

Good catch. That means they must have a nice algorithm that at some predefined time makes them all point to center, or something.
A smart and nifty trick.

It still takes much less data to set up that, than to make a different and separate animation for every position. There's a lot of things you can do from the same track. But there's also a lot of things you can't.

Kanako is loved.

Then how about Fred destroying me?

Accepting that Project Fairy couldn't perform together until im@s 2 because of hardware limitations.

SJW cucks' tumblr conspiracy to bowdlerize /@/?

If the three center idols are all using the exact same animation data, how are they all able to point towards the center only in one specific part of the song? They don't just magically pivot on the ground, they actually do have different animation data.

Or, more likely, they're able to do individual animations, and just choose not to. They can use the same animation data for most of the song, but use position-specific data at certain points.

So there's absolutely not a technical limitation here. Besides, there always was the ability to have different animation data for each position, because of solo lines in songs requiring only a single idol's face to animate.

Again, I continue to insist that it's lazyness on the part of the developers. They can do position-specific animations, even if only for specific parts of songs, but choose not to. Also, out of curiosity, how large is the animation data for Nagareboshi Kiseki compared to other songs? I imagine it'll not be much larger.

Does anyone have a link to the SS assets downloads?

I'll make a big deal out of Hibiki.

>lazyness
They're being paid what they're being paid, user.
It's not "either technical or laziness".

As for faces, they are not animated completely. Lip syncing data probably doesn't take much more than song text or something like that.

I feel you might be forcing this topic to goad everyone, though, so I'm reluctant to keep giving you attention.

Jesus christ, you're a moron.

mega.nz/#F!LBUXCBIL!0Dp33b2hDvzwlrQRqKMx_Q

Pastebin does wonders, user.

Still doesn't explain why the ML idols got much better choreography in OFA than the CG idols did. The DLC was the same price.

Why?

Because ML idols are awesome like that.

I think Scamco loves ML far more than they love CG, and put far more care and effort into it.

You know what they say about the grass ans the other side.

Cool opinion.

How retarded are you, really? The choreography for CG idols being less impressive than ML has less to do with the laziness of the game developers and more with the specific choreographers of each branch of the franchise

"Devs" in this context meaning the staff responsible for the subject in question. So, the choreographers. ML has better choreographers than CG does.

Don't worry, Shiho. We can sit by ourselves and talk about actually interesting topics.

I'm having deja vu.

Has it ever crossed your mind that the choreography animation, position data and facial animation aren't one and the same?

ML is developed internally. CG is developed externally.
It can't be helped.

Do you think Kana suits Shiho better than Shizuka?

CG is technically easier to milk cash, as it's more merchandise driven than ML

If all they changed was the position data, the characters would've just rotated to face different directions. Their feet would've slid across the floor, like they were on a rotating platform. Yet they didn't. Which means that, for that one specific part of the song, there was indeed separate animation data for each character.

...Why is this considered such an impossibility, anyway? It's Unity. It's not exactly lacking in terms of flexibility.

I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE

Idolmaster stealing overall rank number 1 from Fate/Grand Order during a limited gacha event. I don't think I've ever seen iDOLM@STER rank number 1. This push for iDOLM@STER Bamco is giving right now is something else. Ranked 3rd in the world right now too for mobage. So were it not for GuP which Bamco owns anyway and the impending release of the new Dragon Quest, Ace Attorney 6 and Overwatch they'd have total domination over anime, console games, mobage and music. As it stand it's just total domination over music and near domination over anime, mobage and an impressive showing for console games thanks to yet another event ticket. I imagine somewhere someone is drawing a fanart of the GuPs and Cinderella Girls duking it out.

They DO just magically pivot on the ground. Look at how they're angled for the entirety of that shot; Rin and Mio have been turned slightly, but they're all performing the same action. You just don't notice that they've mysteriously turned because the camera switches to close-ups before and after it, hiding how the models would be sliding as you described.

It's little tricks like that which really show how they are putting a lot of effort into making the game look good while still keeping file sizes down.