So...

So, how should we warn people in the far off future (10k years from now) to not fuck around with our nuclear or chemical waste?

Currently we use

>"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. This place is a message, and part of a system of messages. Pay attention. We are serious. Sending this message was significant for us. Ours was considered an important culture."

But it makes it sound like some there's some sort of Lovecraftian horror down there, which will make people explore the area

Other urls found in this thread:

wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp exhibit message to 12,000 a_d.htm
99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/
youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Iraq_poison_grain_disaster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Nuclear/chemical waste inside enter at your own risk

Why not just use

>Chemical waste dump

Instead?

Alternate message

>This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!
>Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
>This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
>What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
>The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.
>The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
>The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
>The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
>The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

If civilization ends they might not be aware of the concept of "nuclear waste".

Bury the waste under something hard enough that by the time they've the technology to break it, they'll have worked out atomic theory again.

It's simple, we cover it in sewage.

Although in 8,000 years it might just turn to dirt.

if they can burrow into a fucking bedrock they know what "poison" is.

Those are all too complicated.

>Leave this place be.
>It is a storage place of chemical and nuclear waste.
>There is only pain here.
>It will hurt you as well.
>Dig elsewhere.

Fuck that cryptic shit, if they can understand the sign at all they'll understand hurt and pain at the very least.

Though frankly I don't think it'd stop anyone. Archeologists today would run for their shovels upon finding an ancient sign that says to fuck off. We're a curious and contrarian species, any sign at all almost guarantees an excavation. Better to leave it unmarked and hope for the best.

Step 1: Make them incredibly inconspicuous. You'd need to really be digging to find one.

Step 2: If you do get in, they become Lovecraftian Horror Zones. Booby trapped, bizarre architecture, disturbing imagery, skeletons scattered about.

>Archeologists today would run for their shovels upon finding an ancient sign that says to fuck off.
would be worth a couple of casualties if we found out that mayans were having problems with high intensity chemical waste or something though

I doubt they'd be able to speak English, considering that 10k years ago pre proto-Indoeuropean was still spoken.

Sure, but how do you cover it back up again without dying?

The increased ease of record-keeping with the advent of the printing press and now of the internet will probably have a slowing effect on the evolution of language.

What if the Internet collapses? It takes a lot of energy to mantain, 10k years is a lot of time to think about.

>paint is chipped off
>this is a place of honor
>esteemed dead is commemorated here
>thing of value is buried here

Printing has drastically slowed the mutation of languages.

Compare the difference in English between 800AD-1440AD and 1440AD-present. The former contains three different languages (Old, Middle, and technically Modern English) while the latter has slow variants of Modern English that are all mutually intelligible.

But you're right, a hundred centuries is a hell of a lot of time.

The same way we put a concrete dome on Chernobyl I imagine.

Keep it simple

The advent of the internet has changed the future forever.

Don't bother.

When enough people die going in there people will give up and assume it's cursed or whatever. Odds are if civilization fails stories about areas like that will be passed down as legends anyways.

This is a potentially true route but alternatively it could continue roughly with the path that language is currently taking, evolving constantly and aggressively as new communities and cultures form based on all variety of things, from ethnicity to creative interests, each with their unique set of vernacular and slang, each with a different dialect, perhaps different accents, and constantly changing.

Really there isn't much saying of whether or not they'll be able to understand our language.

>"CAUTION: The land, air and water here is poisonous. Any who enter here will die a painful death. "

And then you put a picture of a guy looking happy, and then a picture of a dead body beyond the fence. Every idiot understands what poison is, since that's something natural.

The point of these signs isn't to stop future archeologists, it's to stop future settlement.

But I agree that is almost comical in how verbose it is. "THE LAND IS POISON, DON'T SETTLE HERE" should do the trick.

holy shit, this
is that really so hard? modern safety labels are already made with children and illiterate third-worlders in mind, why would future humans be any different? if they can't add 2 and 2 to realize that HUGE NEON SKULL = BAD they deserve everything thats coming to them

>>"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. This place is a message, and part of a system of messages. Pay attention. We are serious. Sending this message was significant for us. Ours was considered an important culture."
Did they actually write this? because this does nothing but making me want to open it.

Its a list of the information the warning is supposed to convey, not the actual text of the message

Its basically pointless though, any civiliztion who doesnt already understand radiation and the dangers of it will be as hesitant cracking open that vault as Carter was cracking open king tuts tomb

The fuck is that cryptic garbage? I could paint a clearer picture of what's going on with 30sec in paint.

Fucking this

It'd be funny to have these places turned into spooky temples

convince them it contains a billion snakes

Why didn't you link the source you goober?
wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp exhibit message to 12,000 a_d.htm
99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Well worth reading.

Mabey you should write something along the lines

>this area is filled with radioactive waste, proceeding further will most likely make you shit out your bowels, and no a gasmask will not protect you

add it in a few more languages then you add a colourful picture of a guy walking past the sign and shitting out his bowels and then dying

> That one plan to genetic engineer cats so they would change their color in presence of radiation, that backed by a song about color changing cats
youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM

> is that really so hard?
> Goiânia accident
> Goiás, Brazilia
> radiotherapy source stolen from hospital
> some guy buys it and spread caesium-137 on concrete floor for a good luck
> 4 people died
> 219 have significant levels of radioactive material
> 112 000 people were examined for radioactive contamination
Apparently, yes. This is really so hard.

Apparently, yes.

because signs of people shitting their bowels out have stopped us when entering various monuments around the world right?
also in 10k years every single language will be completely illegible

I heard people proposed to build spooky shit like that. Like... Would you want to go there.

Could work desu, cats are like roaches, they stick around after people don't.

TBQH yes. This plan was poorly thought out. People love spooky stuff.

I already see a nearby tribe making it a place of initiation rites for its youth.

I wonder how, if civilization were to collapse, a tribe/city cracking open a nuclear waste disposal site would impact mythology

after all, when everyone starts dying after touching the strange metals in the ancient vault made out of materials stronger than any could dream of, that's when you start suspecting ancient curses or divine punishment

Just explain what it actually is.

and how would you explain nuclear theory to future people's with a completely different language and an unknown level of knowledge on a medium that is guaranteed to survive as long as the bunker its stored in?

Fuck you OP, that just makes me want to explore your ancient dungeon even more.
I bet there is some sick treasure in there.

that is too verbose

>POISONED TRASH
>IT WILL KILL YOU
>IT WILL DESTROY YOUR BODY
>DAMAGE IS IRREVERSIBLE
>IT WILL MAKE THE LAND UNWORKABLE
>NO DUDE ITS LITERALLY JUST POISONED TRASH, DIG ELSEWHERE

also put a sign in the middle saying I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU EXPECTED BUT YOU DONE IT NOW

Warning signs with photos of people affected by nuclear radiation if for some reason English is a lost language by then.

I've always thought a hallway filled with statues or mosaics of people melting would work well also.

>> they deserve everything thats coming to them

I'm pretty sure a hallway filled with statues of people melting wouldn't stop even current day archaeologists

No art. People could potentially think it is symbolic or some shit. "Ahh these must be some story from a lost myth about and angry fire god"

Real photos of real people and symptoms.

go inside? most of them weren't some hobos you know

problem is how do we ensure photos actually survive that long

nvm wrong thread lol

assuming that people civilization 10,00 years from now have figured out fission, draw an image of an atom splitting, they'll get the idea.
if civilization collapses and the problem is the tribefolk, I say fuck them, they are a bunch of degenerates anyway.

I don't understand why you people are using words. Who is to say people will understand english in 10k years? We should use pictures, maybe some guy standing around, then he opens the thing, then the next he is just a skelleton? Maybe a guy digging wiyh a huge red cross on top of it? Like the forbid parking signs? But it is impossible to stop people wanting to open things that are sealed, it is human nature to be curious.

It didn't stop the brits from raiding ancient egyptian tombs. We just have to assume people that advanced would be sending robots.

simple comics that show death in away anyone can related to. then a comic that shows what is buried causing death.

This was my first thought as well. Even assuming that future people have some way to translate ancient English, mistakes and inaccuracies happen in translation happen all the time, even with languages that aren't that old or unknown. I'm just thinking of something as simple as the inscription at Thermopylae, which was written in Doric Greek and has a simultaneous written record to accompany it (Herodotus). And yet there have been endless arguments and interpretations about the exact wording and meaning of two lines of text. Also consider that the cultural meaning of symbols and even colours can degrade over time - so something that seems universal and obvious to us, like a big red cross or a skull and crossbones, might mean something totally different to people from a future culture.

Is it really that hard, no matter what language they speak a skull and crossbones will always be a huge sign to fuck off.

It's not as intuitive as you might think. To us it means 'danger' or 'death', but it could just as easily be interpreted as a holy or ritual symbol, or a mark designating a burial ground or a sacred space dedicated to the dead.

This is probably a better system, but not foolproof.

A big skull and maybe hang around some dead bodies impaled.

Actually better idea, make the entrance like a themepark for kids where you explain what radiation poisoning is.
Like someone else told, make it like little tales where a normal looking person enters and then a fucked up Tokaimura-lite fella comes out.

And THEN put a lot of cancer patients impaled on rods, maybe some skulls and midshapen skulls, and at the very end you have enormous metal doors that would need 50 men to push open.

Maybe have a recorder that does spoopy noises and a few traps.

FUCKING DON'T.

Or pictures of chemically burned people. Have to figure a literal picture could get the message across pretty well.

>Not wanting to explore the spike wasteland
That plan was the work of cowards with no wonderlust.

I think it is hard to believe skulls and bones will ever stop representing death. It is literally what happens when you die and your body degrades, how can that be spun into something positive?

>Warnings on the sacks were in Spanish and English, not at all understood, or included the black-and-white skull and crossbones design, which meant nothing to Iraqis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Iraq_poison_grain_disaster

it seems likely that it would just represent dead bodies

Why wouldn't they already know this? They'd have to be pretty fucking retarded.

>10k years in the future
>African peasants get a transmission from ancient civilization
>be careful, nukes are explosive, have some poetry
>they laugh and go back to drawing art while riding their fusion-core powered space yacht

it's for the post-apoc mutants

this is not issue. In 10k humanity will be either a) so advanced that detection and removal of nuclear waste would not be a slightest problem; b) extinct

People are too stupid and curious. They will interpret literally any deterrent as "there is buried something really cool, we should dig it up" so there is no reason to bother. They will get it after they start dying.

Yeah, and I don't know you but I'd prefer to avoid dead bodies.

Have all the warnings, picture and otherwise, then have an explanation of the exact workings of radioactive poisoning, how it spreads and how to recognize it. Follow it up with a small amount of radioactive materials, with the larger deposit hidden away deeper. This way any retard tribesman will see the warnings, misunderstand/disregard them, play in the glowing slime, and die just like we said they would. Hopefully the minor deposit wouldn't be enough to wipe them all out and poison half of the continent and theyll learn their lesson before they excavate the motherload which would.

Theres no way to prevent anyone dying but honestly who gives a shit as long as they dont wipe out all of humanity.

How is it that everyone in this thread is so retarded, they don't understand how much language, communication, and symbols can change in 10,000 years?

They'll figure it out relatively quick.

>mfw superhero comics confuse future tribes

Best way to take care of something like this is to make a modern rosseta stone. In English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Cyrillic, and in pictograph form say something to the effect of "All who enter here shall have horrible deaths. Caution, radioactive materials. Keep out."

underrated kek

If civilization ends they might not understand your pointless monologue.

POISON DO NOT TOUCH

Seriously, you're a faggot to ridiculous levels.

You do realize that English might not be a thing in 10,000 years? That's the entire point of the project, keeping the message intact when communication changes.

Hey guys, make sure no poison touches this! This must be a living substance of great importance.

Oh shit, you're right.

Speaking of which, you might want to build the container out of something with a silly high Mohs hardness.

I got this you niggers.

Look at how the ancients danced over this great elixer of youth.

I once saw a powerpoint that addressed this.
You have no assurances that anyone in the future can read English or any other language, so the best option was to build massive evil-looking spikey obelisks and other grim and unnatural monuments to show that the land is "Cursed" somehow.

Make a very realistic picture or a relief showing people dying of radiation. That would make them think.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here

You guys really aughta read the original report. Very aesthetic and actually explains the scenario unlike OP
>hurr just put a skull on it

Are there alot of ancient drawings off people shitt out their bowels

Print them on stone.

What you do is you found a monastic order dedicated explicitly to doing this.

Name one religion or organization, much less monastic order, which has survived in a similar form for ten thousand years

Then name one as boring as "the keepers of the poison trash that was left over from our industry and power plants and now sits inert in the ground"

Ill give that order two presidential terms before everyone stops caring and leaves

What if they get mutant powers from proximity to the stockpiles???

What if they develop mutant powers from proximity to the stockpiles???

I will prop up a lab technician's corpse in a hazmat suit seated in a buddhist position surrounded by images of radiation death and set him up on an altar like a guardian diety guarding something that must not be fucked with.

The Catholic Church will probably survive that amount of time.

Why would there just be caves full of poison? You are being silly, user. Grab your pickaxe and help me.

I think the best option is to colonize space such that Earth human civilization won't collapse to the point where the English language is utterly lost.

Are you crazy? Stuff that looks like it shouldn't be fucked with is number one on the list of things humanity fucks with.
You have to make the waste depot look really boring so people wont care.

Very plain, boxes of grey concrete, and a few thick steel slabs engraved with a few of these

Put details into some hard-to-miss structure into Moon. If they ever can go there, they'll understand enough about scientific stuff.

Like, "This Monolith looks like a key into the carefully buried vaults you might have found in Earth. But it won't fit, because fuck off."

Realistically, the best option is to place it somewhere there there has never been any history of human habitation, and bury it.

Nobody is going to find a dump that's 50 feet underground somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to be even fancier, you dig into the side of a mountain on a slight downward slope and pour concrete until you've reached the surface.

If they can get through a couple hundred feet of solid concrete, they've earned it.