/emugen/ - Emulation General

Last Thread: emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Poll - which systems do you wish had better emulation: strawpoll.me/10231782
Poll 2 - what colour should the bricks in Castlevania be?: strawpoll.me/10257221

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10231782
strawpoll.me/10257221
wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/NTSC_video
youtube.com/watch?v=Hfo6hoN0PUw
youtube.com/watch?v=H8oL97GOrEM
youtube.com/watch?v=j03DVgCTLQs
retrorgb.com/playstation.html
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-xenoblade-chronicles-hd-texture-pack-v7-3-april-12-2016
github.com/MerryMage/citra/tree/jit2
retrocollect.com/News/perspective-correction-comes-to-sony-playstation-emulation-via-pcsxr-pgxp.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for angrylion

Couldn't make the first poll allow multiple selections?

The poll's own question is "system" but the OP says "systems", big disparity.

Even then it should be multiple.

Also failed to neglect newer systems.

360, PS3, Vita? XBone, PS4? More so "what ifs" or "potentials" but still relevant.

I agree. Had a hard time picking and still am not sure on which one needs it the most.

I ignored them because they're not really in a good state so obviously we want them.

I could make it multiple choice, but if it were me then I'd just vote for everything. Not sure about everyone else but I want all emulation to be improved, I don't feel like any of it is perfect.

I can maybe set up a better poll for next thread that allows people to add their own options so that y'all can add your favourite niche consoles like the iQue.

Lakka vs retropie go

It feels close.

Nene is best waifu

>strawpoll.me/10231782
>voting 3DS which is coming and has literally no games
>over Xbox which isn't coming and has some good games

What the actual fuck.

3DS has a pretty good library.
What Xbox games do you want? For me it's Panzer Dragoon, Ninja Gaiden, JSRF, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Crazy Taxi 3 and that's about it really. I can't think of many other Xbox games that were exclusive and sound worthwhile.
3DS has Zelda ALBW, New Kirby, Newer Kirby, Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, 2 Mario+Luigi games, Zero escape: ZTD+VLR, Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokémon, Final Fantasy Explorers, Theatrhythm, Kingom Hearts DDD, Mario 3D and NSMB2, Fire Emblems.

While the 3DS list is not all games that I want to play, it is games that I know people will want to play that don't exist elsewhere.
The Xbox list is just games I want to play, but I can't really think of any others that aren't already on another console.

I think 3DS emulation is nowhere near as necessary as Xbox emulation though, especially given that they're cheap as you like and easy to hack for free games. Piracy is so easy on the 3DS that there's no point emulating at this stage.

Xbox has even less games worth playing

3DS at least has Nintendo shit

Voted for PS2 cause PCSX2 is trash

Same here my friend.
Saturn needs some love though.

>Crazy Taxi 3

Has a PC port that still works on modern Windows

Worst game of the trilogy though

Oh, didn't realise. Well scratch that off the list then.

English translation WHEN?

>3ds has no games
Well memed

What I thought was funnier is someone voted for GBA

>What I thought was funnier is someone voted for GBA
mudlord

Yeah if this were /v/ there'd be more backlash over that comment.

It's true though.

Honestly people just want to play Metal Wolf Chaos. It would achieve the same purpose of an XBox emulator to just make a sourceport to read that game's specific data.

>Poll 2 - what colour should the bricks in Castlevania be?: strawpoll.me/10257221

Why is this even a thing? This only came about when emulators starting doing Famicom palettes the "right way" rather than what TVs actually did. Pick a random tv, and it will give you some shade of red bricks on stage two.

Every port/remake has red bricks too. These were often shit ports by some guy with no support. They'd just load the game up and then copy it.

Lastly WHO would make a stage with purple bricks? That's so random. Red is an actual brick color.

>he unironically plays shitty kids games

The main point was that 3DS is clearly getting a good emulator and Xbox has and won't ever have one, at this rate.

>ge with purple bricks? That's so rando
Purple bricks are people too, geez.

Can anybody confirm if Meme Run works in Cemu?

Just threw it up there because the debate was raging last thread.

Do you only play mature games for mature gamers such as yourself?

What do you think that TVs during that time actually did besides try to convert the video signal from NTSC or PAL? Besides, there is also the case of TVs not being calibrated properly.

>This only came about when emulators starting doing Famicom palettes the "right way" rather than what TVs actually did. Pick a random tv, and it will give you some shade of red bricks on stage two.

What's your source on this? What TVs did it that way? Every TV I've encountered had reds that were dull on NES, none of that bright red shit.

Everything known about NES NTSC video is explained here:

wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/NTSC_video

And guess what? The resulting palette is the Nestopia canonical palette, the one that gives you purple bricks. It's accurate to the real hardware, no matter how much you subjectively prefer the bright red colors.

>kids games
We're all here to emulate games we've played as kids. If we still have fun doing that I don't think we're really worried about what's "for kids". We're all children inside still.

>And guess what? The resulting palette is the Nestopia canonical palette, the one that gives you purple bricks. It's accurate to the real hardware, no matter how much you subjectively prefer the bright red colors.

Plug it into a tv and you get some shade of red bricks. Not purple. We're talking about how tvs actually display the colors in the real world.

>kids games
i play these games so i can ignore my kids.

>>Plug it into a tv and you get some shade of red bricks. Not purple. We're talking about how tvs actually display the colors in the real world.

Not my TV, or any TV I grew up with. All TVs I've encountered had colors in line with Nestopia's Canonical palette. A few TV models might have had non-standard decoders that boosted red significantly, but those were probably not the majority.

These colors didn't come from nowhere, you know.

Threadly reminder that your computer monitor is probably not correctly calibrated anyway, so all this talk about "accurate" NES palettes is worthless.

(._. )

>idle debates
Ain't fucking hard just seeking some actual console footage of the game
youtube.com/watch?v=Hfo6hoN0PUw
youtube.com/watch?v=H8oL97GOrEM
youtube.com/watch?v=j03DVgCTLQs

>(._. )
Is that a yes or no?

I play good games.

Speak for yourself, neckbeard.

>Is that a yes or no?
That's a WHY?

Well the problem here is that you can't really tell how the signal was recorded and converted. There are so many steps where the colors could've been fucked up.

Although it does demonstrate that no two videos end up with the same colours. AVGN has the darkest red of the 3, do we know how he records it?

Aren't these captured directly from the console? And for NES it's the TV that changes/creates the colors most of the time? Meaning what is captured would not be exactly what is seen on screen.

What are some good games?

Because it's an exclusive.

>do we know how he records it?
Nope

>Aren't these captured directly from the console?
Likely, the point of me posting those wasn't purple vs red but just showing that you will never come with the one truth because no single setup will produce the same result.

Memes

"Captured directly from the console" is meaningless, there are a billion way to get a digital video from an analog signal and they won't all give you the same result.

I've just captured pic related straight from my PS1 with a cheap USB dongle, trust me it's not supposed to look that way.

>I've just captured pic related straight from my PS1 with a cheap USB dongle, trust me it's not supposed to look that way.

Isn't that basically what WAS sent from the console though? Put that on a CRT TV and it'd look fine.

The colors are slightly more saturated compared to mednafen. There's also this attrocious noise coupled with the dongle's compression.

>bricks look purple as fuck in avgn video
>going to post screenshot while saying so
>stream it to mpv to get a proper screenshot
>color is totally different in mpv
fucking youtube

I guess it's worth pointing out that on top of the ADC, different combos of encoders/decoders/players can affect color, and even LCDs don't always reproduce colors anywhere near accurately.

mpv has that remove digital colors thng. which should be a feature in RA as well without using shaders.

What does it do?

Welcome to composite outputs, enjoy your stay.

All the media players have it. VLC does not have it by default.

RA has it via shaders. But it should be a default option for everything in video settings.

I don't think there are any other options for the PSX though, are there?

That being said just getting a better capture card would probably help a lot, but I don't really care about it, I don't use it for accuracy.

Yeah but what does it do? And what does hardware YUV/RGB conversion have to do with it?

Normally the YUV->sRGB conversion matrices are standard for a given input format, I'm suprised youtube and mpv give different results.

>I don't think there are any other options for the PSX though, are there?

PSX has tons of output options.

>I don't think there are any other options for the PSX though, are there?
S-Video
This sites says RGB but I'm not sure about that at all.

What's the port on the far left?

>this site
>doesn't post the site
retrorgb.com/playstation.html

Okay, I should have mentioned that this particular PSX is the SCPH-7502 and it only has the proprietary "AV MULTI OUT" connector. I don't know if there's anything other than composite going through that port.

I also have an older model with the external composite output but I've never seen one with the S-video connector.

Actually I just remembered that I have a picture, so there.

Serial (and parallel behind the cache completely to the left)

Aliaspider's TVOUT tweaks shader does the same thing:

>// use TV video color range (16-235)
>// instead of PC full range (0-255)

>Okay, I should have mentioned that this particular PSX is the SCPH-7502 and it only has the proprietary "AV MULTI OUT" connector. I don't know if there's anything other than composite going through that port.

The AV port supports all outputs, always has.

Ah yeah, that's familiar. I didn't expect that for RGB output though, generally you only clamp the YUV signals for historical reasons.

Oh right, the SCART, I used that back then, obviously. Should have thought about it. I guess I'll just have to find the right wires and adapters if I want to improve my capture setup then. Not that it's very important anyway.

Thanks for the infos.

Wait, what the hell is the power plug in the center? I thought it was the power input for a minute, but that obviously doesn't make sense, especially since the power input is on the right.

Ah no actually I misremember, it wasn't real RGB SCART it was just a shitty adapter that converted composite to SCART. I guess it was good enough for me back then.

It's "RFU DC OUT" on my console. If I understand correctly it just outputs a radio frequency signal that you can use on a TV's antenna input (if it lacks anything else). Pretty old school.

Both exist, the real RGB cable is grey with RCA compsite on the side, it's as old as the PS1 and I know for sure it supports RGB (unlike some euro-AV SCART cable) since I use it with my PS2 and the output is almost the same as component.

Yeah but the console only came with the composite cable and the shitty adapter, which I used because I didn't know better back then.

what color is this, anyway?

I'm going for a Xenoblade HD texture pack here:
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-xenoblade-chronicles-hd-texture-pack-v7-3-april-12-2016

Do I get the PNG files or the DDS ones?

Whats the difference?

>DDS packs offer the best performance out of the box and are highly recommended over the PNG packs.
>PNG packs may require the option 'Prefetch Custom Textures' and 10GB RAM to avoid stutter.

DDS it is.

Anyone have any experience with emulating the original Policenauts? Is there a pre-patched English version of it?

>Anyone have any experience with emulating the original Policenauts?

Yes. PS is the easiest to get setup.

>Is there a pre-patched English version of it?

Yes.

Well, the hue it should be according to current understanding is about 15 degrees off red, or 345 hue.

The bricks there have hues of 346, 342, and 348, respectively.

Conclusion: we were talking about the same color this whole time, it's just a matter of whether you consider it "red". Pic related.

>Yes.

Where at? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

emu paradise.

So endrift is apparently done with mGBA, as in quitting, does this mean it's no longer the king and we'll have to go back to VBA-M.

RIP

It's still better than VBA-M, so no? What more work really needs to be done with mGBA?

I blame the TAS community

You can't just say that and not have a source, especially if you're going to recommend that piece of shit VBA-M.

Even if that was true mGBA is better than VBA for general usage no reason to go back to it.

>VBA-M
Is that even actively being worked on?

This was said in Dolphins IRC not long ago.

You continue using mGBA until Higan surpasses it.

Should be easy to provide totally not forged logs then :^)

>frame - 25
So 40fps? Does that mean it's full speed, or is it like a vps thing where it has to reach 60 regardless of the game's framerate?

Yeah, 40vps | 20fps.

welp

dynarec when

>github.com/MerryMage/citra/tree/jit2
>no work in over a month
Never ever, apparently.

Always thought that was the milliseconds needed for each frame so the 40fps should be right?

Why would it be anything else?

RIP
the dream

Unsaturated-V5 doesn't look purple, it's just dark red.

That's purply-red.

YUV-V3 (and Nestopia Canonical YUV) have a bit more blue in that color

retrocollect.com/News/perspective-correction-comes-to-sony-playstation-emulation-via-pcsxr-pgxp.html

What is this literal who site?

First site to report on PGXP.

Fucking idiots.