Car buying

When am I going to be able to buy a car straight from the factory? Why is it still legal for car dealers to rip off consumers? Tesla cant make money but at least they removed a layer of bs so I give then credit for that.

Other urls found in this thread:

justice.gov/atr/economic-effects-state-bans-direct-manufacturer-sales-car-buyers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why don't Car manufacturers just sell their cars lower rate than what dealers do.

Can't these Car Manufacturing companies just sell to the public slightly or medium amount above what they are currently selling them to dealers for?

What even are the downsides here?

why can't Rachel there just blow me.

Because the OEMs would rather the dealer network handle parts of the value chain such as aftermarket support, etc.

Car salesman here

All it takes to get a good deal when buying a car is to take advantage of dealer incentives and ask for free shit thrown in. If you don't mention any discounts to me, you will see sticker price and pay that if you don't ask for money off.

bone law

I've bought 4 cars in my life and I was never able to get any of them first try

I always ask for the extras and then give my final price.

They always said it was impossible, so I would just leave them my card.

Longest time to hear back from them accepting my offer was three weeks and two were even the next day

even better, wait two years for actual price discovery. buying a new car is for chumps, hell you should be doing your best to not own one at all, virtually all opportunity cost

This. New cars are the biggest money drain, I have no idea why people even bother unless they are earning at least six figures annually.

Don't buy a new car. You can get a way nicer used car for the same money.

This is how you buy a car:
>This is going to take about 3-4 weekends, but it will save you thousands of dollars.
>Pick out 3-4 car models that you would be perfectly happy to own. If you are dead set on a single car, you will lose your negotiation power. Just pick out a few, go to dealers to drive them to get a feel for what you really want (without even thinking of buying at this point). Here you should have an idea of how much this is going to cost.
>Don't try to buy a car if you don't have a loan ready. Spend one whole weekend (and maybe during the week) shopping for a loan. Walk into a bank/lender and sit there until they can tell you in detail what kind of loan they are willing to give you. Then LEAVE. Repeat at ~5 different places. Use the best loan to call the shit loan banks and ask for better terms, if they say no, stick to the best loan, if they say yes, great! They want your business, make them compete for you. Smaller lenders are usually more flexible.
>Go online and find all dealerships and used car places that have your cars in reasonable conditions. Expand your search radius quite a bit, it's worth driving an hour to get your perfect car in a dealership that no one else is willing to go to. A lot of places will lie about having a car just to get you in the door. Call and have them confirm that the car is physically in the lot. Ask for the VIN number if necessary. Don't take any bullshit. Make a list of all these "available" cars.
>to be continued...

...continued

>Call each one of these dealerships and ask for the price of each of the cars. Tell them that you are calling a bunch of dealerships and are doing competitive bidding. They will get pissed. You tell them that if they offer the best price, you will buy a car from them TODAY. They will calm the fuck down and do what you want. Keep calling the dealers and put them against each other: "this dealership is offering a similar car for $X, the kelly blue book value is $Y, so I think you should drop your price to $Z". You know, get in there. This will give you an idea of how low they are willing to go. But they actually can go a lot lower.

>Go to the best 2-3 dealerships. If the car that you were looking for is not there, gtfo immediately. Don't waste your time. If it is there, ask to test drive it, get a report of an inspection they have done, ask about all the details you need. Then offer the lowest value in the kelly blue book. They will give you a bullshit speech and then waste your time by "asking the big boss" which is just a way to get you pissed off enough to say "fuck, just gimme the fucking car". You won't fall for this because you have planned ahead. Bring snacks, a phone charger, games, a book, etc. Be ready to sit there and wait. That's their strategy. Just keep going back and forth the price offers, at the end, after a lot of bullshit waiting, you will get one of these "ok, we can down to $X but that is it, we cannot possibly go down any lower", you keep asking for your lower price and after enough time has been wasted, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, you get up and leave. You tell them that you will sleep on it and to let you know if they change their mind. They will panic. They have just wasted a whole day of work on absolutely nothing. And the sellers boss will be pissed at him. At this point, you go to another dealership and you do the same. Buy the car that is at the best price.

>If the deal seems shady, leave (lunch, etc). They will panic

>way nicer used car for the same money

really, how is a used car going to be nicer than a new car?

He's talking about the make, ding dong.

I bought a brand new Elantra and I can apparently sell it for more than I paid if I were to sell it right now.

Even most lower tier car makes are starting to have some decent options. It's like buying an acura instead of a honda and spending more money when they are basically the same fucking cars.

Just buy a fucking Tesla if you want direct from manufacturer

Because it's inefficient for a company who's business is the manufacturing of cars to also be in directly in the business of retailing these cars on a global scale.
Even though on the surface it looks like middle-men make up unnecessary bloat on the price of products, they're actually very useful in the efficiency of an economy, and the cost of losing this efficiency could result in a higher cost of the product anyway, even when buying straight from manufacture.
The idea of dealerships is similar to the idea of any franchise.
It doesn't make sense for the corporate sector of McDonalds to also be involved in the day-to-day running of one of their stores, because it might be thousands of miles away from the corporate headquarters, in a place where the people making decisions don't understand the local market, and don't have sight of the small details that are involved in the running the business.
By involving a middleman who is specifically capable of handling these tasks creates more efficiency in the whole process, thus reducing the overall production costs of their core business; making cars.

This isn't even economics 101, this is middle-school shit, come on Veeky Forums

This is some serious autism, if you can't pay for your car in cash, then you might as well kys.

Well I could get an iPhone at Best Buy or AT&T. Or the Apple Store. According to your logic Apple should not run its own stores.

lol. just quickly googled used honda accords vs acura tls

50k miles
16,500 = accord
19,000 = tl

wow the $2,500 extra for the faster & bigger engine, better speakers, better trim, better features, safer, car thats going to make you happier every time you drive it?

if your poor, sure save the money, but don't act like honda and acura is the same car and you would be equally happy with either one.

>inb4 "I'd prefer a honda bro."

>When am I going to be able to buy a car straight from the factory?
i thought you can do that if you work there or a relative of yours work there.

because it would stretch their resources so thin

Actually it's not economics. It's law and politics.
Here's some interesting reading on it.
justice.gov/atr/economic-effects-state-bans-direct-manufacturer-sales-car-buyers

I always thought you could buy ford's cheap "off the lot" if you went to michigan

distribution

let me check with my manager
Brb