/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Saturday Morning Edition

> CURRENT JAM, MAKE GAME!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

In other news:
DD8 has been retired to the pastebin, RIPIP.

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRUJqrBVIM
pastebin.com/2qD3b455
youtube.com/watch?v=wsU5DJIxTJg
youtube.com/watch?v=vmBCIgFfT7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for waifus

Thank you for posting best girl

C E R V I X
E
R
V
I
X

> can't art at all.
> can code
> can afford good looking assets that I need and fit perfectly 100% to my game

It feels dirty to do so, but it would let me to just make game. Am I just a victim of a meme, or should I postpone all progress and work on learning how to model and do good looking assets.

You mean paying an artist or buying an asset pack?

Because both are fine

programmer art is fine

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRUJqrBVIM

what types would mons in agdg pokemon be because i cant honestly think of any

That looks like a PS1 game

Making a fun game is all that matters.

The only time the assets matter is if they're highly stylistic/cartoony. If they're realistic assets, then I couldn't care less where you got your generic rock #54156844562 from or some tree. I would say it's the same for buildings in most cases (especially modern and medieval) and furniture (modern and medieval). Sci-fi might be trickier if you just use an asset.

The problem with using assets is you need to make sure the style stays consistent. It's very rare to find all the assets you need from a single person. They will look off if the quality is greatly different.

But if you can get 100% of the assets you need for your game from someone and you don't mind paying them money and the assets are of quality, then go for it.

That would be considered above average for AGDG still.

why tho

Gameplay looks like it has potential, level design is kinda meh though. Just kinda reminds me of the shitty adventure mode levels from super smash bros.

Atlease Adventure Mode had verticalility and mixed things up.
And SSE had a ridiculous story that also mixed things up.
This just looks like Run Forward: The BMUP:The Gane

wtf do i do with a custom shader in unity to make it work

>ive never used oop in it and never felt like i should be
Correct
>One the one hand I've read that it's easy to implement OOP using lua's language, and since that's what I got the most experience with I feel that'd be the easiest way to learn it.
lua tables are very interesting types. The lack of static typechecking is a bitch imo.
>My 2 cents
I used to do love2D and lua.
I've moved on to C++. C++ is easier to deal with.
No more "x is a nil value" errors. So many things get easier with static type checking.

>although the danger bar seems a bit pointless

It is a bit pointless, but the player's power attack's strength depends on the current danger level, and I wanted some way to visualize the danger.

desu after starting to use lua i dont want to touch any language where you have to declare variable types

I recommend you install the Mozilla renderer. Being able to use HTML tags is pretty great.

Also
Here's a basic help page which I set up for my self (because documentation was shit).
pastebin.com/2qD3b455 (embed)
Meant to be viewed in preview mode in wikidpad (or just put it in wikipad and export it and read it in the browser)
>bbox_right - bbox_left
bbox_left+(width/2)
Or if you just have left and right:
halfwidth=abs(bbox_right - bbox_left)/2
middlepoint=bbox_left+halfwidth

>So many things get easier with static type checking.

Eh, it makes spotting really easy bugs easy. Hard bugs, from design, are still there and potentially more likely as since you're doing stuff at a lower level you're not thinking about it as much

user the charm fades quickly.
It's really nice to just "yeah I just want this thing" in the moment.
But especially in love2D there's no way to even get inferred types:
thisIsIntendedToBeBool=false
thisIsIntendedToBeBool="ProblematicAssignment"
>run game
>play game
>game crashes
>catch this one error

Development speeds up so incredibly much when you can just hit compile and then hit a single button to get to the next error you wouldn't have caught in lua.
>Hard bugs
Yeah but you want to spend time on those. If you program a lot you will get it quickly.
>lower level
Tends to not have that many issues like this though. Since the number of types is often very small and unless you're doing straight asm SIMD types don't even exist in lua afaik.

I'm trying to make a turn based strategy game in unity in 2d. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I should size my pixels and sprites?

512x512

i didnt run into problems with variables that would require more than 5 minutes f work in my past 3 years of using lua

on the other hand i dont care about optimalizatiom and i dont even use bools so

AAAH programming is so confusing

Well. Suppose maybe I'm just sloppy.
But it's not about the individual errors like that. It's about the larger scheme. If those take even 1 minute each you're likely way behind the C++ dev who needed maybe 0.5 seconds per type declaration and then spent way less time on typos.

Next time you have one of those measure the time and think of how frequently they happen. It adds up.

Different thing should have different resolutions. A character sprite should not have the same resolution as a background sprte.

>if X do Y
>difficult

how do i avoid dynamic casts without having to create a different vector for every type? they are supposed to be bad right?
should i use inheritance or templates for that class?
if i'm having to make many forward declarations am i doing it wrong?
when should i use a regular pointer instead of a smart pointer?

Let me rephrase my question: how should I size my backgrounds in relation to my sprites?

i dont know what you mean at all but is it really hard to look up other games that did what you want to do

I don't know man. I want to know this answer too. I don't understand pixel size or resolutions.

Is there anywhere I can download more makehuman clothes? I am too shit to make my own.

This is driving me crazy.

Please don't base your game on pre-made assets. It will never turn out well.,

just like make game
If casting's got you down, then either restructure your hierarchy to allow calling methods on the super class and having unique implementations in the sub class. Alternatively, just create a temporary variable of the type you need casted from the variable you're using and avoid having to do a shit ton of casting. This also helps when you have a lot of nested objects inside one object and need to access something very deep in a variable.

Premature optimization is the death of semi-less-than-new programmers.

Hi /adgd/

What would be the best engine for a 2D top down (something like Hotline Miami, Hammerwatch): GameMaker or Godot?
I have decent experience with Python but none at doing art.

Ganbare waifu senpai

This is just for playtesting purposes/testing out shaders and animations. It's just nicer to look at than blank models.

My actual game is going to be lowpoly desu.

you arent writing in assembly for a very underpowered device
whatever you do is alright as long as it works
eventually you will become a meme like undertale creator with a few hundred case statements

XNA

the simpler the game is the better it is to use gamemaker

thats it

I did a logo / icon for the game.

Currently looking at different type of duck quacks.
The icon is for this game.
youtube.com/watch?v=wsU5DJIxTJg

Can I make my game in R? I heard it was the best way to make games.

Thanks

>

needs more duck

Prove me wrong then? Oh yeah I forgot, none of the people here know shit about programming.

Thanks for the pic.

this isn't about performance

>use fun/creative font
>dont use trendy font

This is the first time I use what I've learned in finance for personal use.

Each bullet applies a factor to the otherwise static velocity of the ball. So if you hit with the magnum, the velocity becomes (velocity x 1.10) for example.

Now if you shoot with the shotgun, many bullets come out, meaning that you apply the factor 8 times (one time per bullet). Naturally, you'd divide the factor by 8 to keep the increase in velocity the same, but one time x1.10 does not equal 8 times 1.0125 (1+0.1/8). So you have to translate the compounded factor into the simple case factor so that it's really the same no matter what gun you use.

Technically, this would let me make all kinds of guns, even constant damage ray guns although they'd be OP since hitting the ball makes it go instantly towards the opposite of where you shot it.

no such thing as best and you should know that already

The Disney example was conveying that you need to establish what kind of brand your thing is.
Disney is "fun" so they use a "fun" font, and people associate emotions with them.
Using a "serious" font conveys otherwise and the other would would be more suited for something like Apple who tries to sell "high-class","elegant", etc.

Marketing is dumb but it is a concrete science.

>what is context

/agdg/ please choose the anime mascotte for my video game

The one you posted.

>disney with the disney font OK
>disney with the pixar font NG
pixar btfo

You know pandering is easy to see through if you have no passion in the thing.

Stop trying to pander and just make a game you like or find a new hobby.

guys, did you know
instead of "x = x * -1" you can just "x = -x"
holy fuck

AWOO

youtube.com/watch?v=vmBCIgFfT7s

>my dad works for the C++ ISO
nice lies.

Hamster.

is there still a repo of agdg characters and memes around

spooky

>Marketing is a concrete science.

you can also do x *= -1;

Del

ete

>142935121
Well I would understand why you question marketing, gaggems.

>Red: Warmth Energy Agression
>the logo and the bubble are orange
wat

th

It is, actually.

You're so fucking retarded googum.

>2016
>being colorblind

>2016
>TN
wew
Open it up in Paint and RGB it

is

>psychology
>art
>statistics
marketing involves these things and none of these are solid sciences

Are you memeing me? That bubble is orange as fuck.
The Coca Logo is red, the X symbols are all red, but the ESPN logo and the bubble over it are definitely orange.

>142936105

That's definitely Orange look at this.

Does it say Red-Orange?? No. It says Orange-Red. It's Orange!

jajaja putos

>142936559
On a non-shit panel it's much more red than orange.
You won't be able to see it because you're on TN.

Do you not know English? The second word is the noun, the first word is the adjective.

I like how the green is at 63, which is about the half-way point between 0 and 127,where 127 would definitely be orange, and 0 would definitely be red.

Oh, I understand now, so it depends on the monitor then? So we both were right, how silly.
I'm going to look what are the most used monitors, I don't want to change mine yet if the TN technology has the most userbase, it would affect my art.

People underestimate the power of saturation.
>142937585
>So we both were right, how silly
No, you're wrong, you proclaimed it as orange, implying the graphic was wrong.
When in fact you were spouting ignorant bullshit.
> it would affect my art.
Again, doing colors on an accurate monitor would be better because you'd be more accurate and the definition loss would be less and your colors would look slightly less worse on TN
Jesus christ just stop.

>been hearing about PICO-8 recently
>want to try it but don't want to drop $15 on something I might not use
>found out I have a free copy because of an old humble bundle

Oh boy, where do I even start

>10 days left for waifujam
>still no clue what to make

shitty VN it is then

hit a road block on my other stuff, so i made a new thing his morning.

How am I wrong? It's still orange here.

Here's a small image I made.
I'm not a pixel artist. But I decided I should have a feel for what the sizes would be experienced like.
So I took a game I kinda liked (Poncho) and just put up a set of pixels.
The smallest set of colors is a 256x256 square. So blue is 256x256 and half size increments.
Then I just double pixel size per set. So I get a decent idea what 1-2-4x would look like on 1920x1080.

Just in case anyone needs it.

>10 days left
>all I have are some assets and 0 game
PANIC

Post assets.

So you can steal them?
Nice try

>Making games with artificial limitations that only other people as dumb as you can play.
PICO-8 is the dumbest meme engine I can think of.

Also see orange.
But I'm greed red colorblind.

that means you can do good pixel animations, right user?

When the fuck is this game coming out

>perfect logo
>entire article is written as a marketing piece
Note the boldness vs trend section. Boldness is just logos that succeed despite not being particularly good.
The trends are mainly companies with direct association to their content. Playboy, Tinder, Pepsi (cola, foam, cold)
>remember less is more
What they mean is:
Simplicity sticks with people because we're pattern seeking beings who will recognize shapes better than senarios. Hardly anyone remembers details in a photo. It's very easy to remember a shape.
>use your design to reinforce your brand
Apples brand isn't knowledge. It's elegance. The logo was made back when computers weren't for normies.
>burger king
Yeah. Sure, but that's not the selling point of the logo. I think hardly anyone looks at that and thinks it looks like a burger on first reaction. IF they didn't have the white stuff in the buns (hehe) it'd be much more recognizable.
>balance of whitespace
Yes symmetry is important.
>shapes
I dunno. Maybe.
>Fonts
Yeah don't use Comic sans for your Funeral home.
>negative space
Easy way of compacting information. That's the point rather than "use negative space".
>color
This meme has to die. Colors reinforce through emotion, not whatever BS they put there.