Anglo-Saxon Conquest of England

How did the English celts get so buttfucked?

You mean romanized celtic actual farmer peasants left defenseless after the roman troops withdrew?

So how come they didn't conquer Wales?

Also the Anglo-Saxons ended up buttfucked for awhile by the Danes.

They already had all the good parts, zero reason to waste time and men getting the rocky wasteland that is Wales too

>So how come they didn't conquer Wales?

Because the Normans invaded. there's no reason to assume they wouldn't have eventually annexed the whole island, had they been left to it.

Because they had been civilized for hundreds of years and had lost their martial spirit. Then, Britain was depleted of troops by successive would-be-Emperors to fight in Rome's civil wars, so by the time the Saxons arrived only the civilians were left. they /did/ put up a resistance, remembered in legends as King Arthur and archaeologically in the many re-fortified hillforts that date from this period, but the Angles and Saxons were barbarians in the true sense of teh word, tough men from violent cultures who simply outfought and eventually outnumbered the Romano-Britons.

I remember reading somewhere that according to the latest research Arthur was based on a pictish-gael warlord who operated mostly around Northumberland and Cumbria

Nonsense. People are forever trying to pin Arthur down, but the real man would have been a warlord in what is now England, which was the richest and most powerful part of Britain, and was the part being invaded by Saxons during the time he is typically inferred to have lived. But the fact is that "Arthur" is not a name, it's a title meaning "the Bear". If there was a real man behind the myths, "Arthur" was nor his name. More likely, he is an abstraction for all the various, disorganized resistance figures forgotten by history because they were on the losing side.

>romani british
>celtic

I didn't use the word celtic, but it is typical to describe the Romano-Britons as such despite their Latin langauge and culture. This is no different than how people treat the late Roman inhabitants of France as celtic, despite their near-total Romanisation.

I think he was making a joke about gypsies

I gave him the credit for not being a total moron, but yes that's also possible.

Anglo-saxon conquest is a big meme
The Romano-Brits rallied behind king Arturius (Arthur) and he held off the Anglo-Saxons
They still took alot of land but the Romano-British kingdom would stand until the Norman conquest

Total idiocy. You have any evidence for that? Like, at all?

So Romano-Britons were actually entirely Latinized? So the Welsh are just culturally Latin rapebabbys?

Read books

The Welsh aren't Romano-Britons, they are descendants of the Cumbrogi,. the non-Latinised celts of the Britihs highlands region. Only Lloegyr was really Romanized, well that plus the city of York and it's environs.

Fiction doesn't count, dumb-dumb.

History books sheep shagger

I honestly doubt there was enough angles, saxons, jutes etc to replace the natives, I'd imagine it turned out like lombards in italy or normans later on in both, a ruling class of anglo-saxons that eventually had enough influence over the culture to make their mark in the language and naming etc

little odd scotland is called alban by them at that point

It would have been a lot like the American South before the Civil War, they pretty much enslaved the natives

>west africans
>native to the americas
lel

Obviously meant in that your cuck ancestors were manually pulling plows while watching their womenfolk being plowed by smelly saxons

Scotland was always Alba, from the earliest accounts.

Go find me a history book that even mentions Arthur, let alone one that posits a unified Welsh state at ANY point, you utter spastic.

This is the accepted pattern, yes. In the past the replacement theory was more popular, but the genetic studies confirm that both English and Celtic made very little impact on Britain, genetically.

>HURR

I accept your graceless surrender. Go fuck yourself.

>Scotland was always Alba, from the earliest accounts.
No it wasn't. The earliest accounts refer to the whole island as albion, referring to Scotland as Albany comes from the Scots half a millennium after the Roman withdrawal from Britain.

> Monkwearmouth to the north of Jarrow
Shit map, by the way.

No they don't.

Yes, they do.

American Settlement is heavily unique in history except perhaps, which puts americans at a disadvantage when talking about other nations in the world.

Did you read an article about Stephen Oppenheimer's 2006 book and think you're an expert now or something?

>Green means sea, swamp or alluvium
>literally whole map is green

They were already Germanic, at least in the east, and belgic in the south. Anglo-saxons were kinsman from the continent who were roman military or ex military, or roman mercenaries, who were enlisted to fight the picts

Too many Anglos.

It's like if a quarter of the population of Germany decided to live in Belgium.

>They were already Germanic

Somewhat exaggerated.

The Saxons took a bunch of lowland Britain in their opening 40 years after betraying the Britons and seizing Kent but then got smashed at a battle suggested to be at Badon Hill. For decades the Saxons were fucked themselves with entire kingdoms like Sussex disintegrating. By the late 6th century the Saxons had resurged enough to start beating back the Britons and by the mid-7th the Britons were fucked.

New evidence from Devon and Cornwall suggests that the demarcation between Romanised and non-Romanised Britons has been heavily exaggerated.

Many Angli, Saxons, Frisians and Jutes had already emigrated to Britain even under the Roman government without necessarily being foederati.

edgy contrarian retard

>Dumnonia

The attitude of Rome changed towards this region, it was an early ally of the invasion so it kept a lot of privileges and it's Celtic character for much longer than it's geographic proximity to the South would suggest. Later in the Empire, it's special status was revoked, and towards the end of the Roman occupation it was well on the way towards Romanization. But Celtic remained the language of it's people, outside the cities at least, which is why Cornwall and Brittany speak Celtic and not Latin.

Weren't bretons of Brittany emigres from Dumnonia?

Brits arent even majority germanic today

Yes, which is why I mentioned them when talking about Dumnonia.

Superior Germanic genes