/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 Tournament is ongoing until May 22: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/overview.html
>/rlg/ teams:
WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIIIEEET: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/heterosexualmale.html (MuMo, OPEN)
Algerian Curse Removal Ltd.: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/clans/nikheizen.html (Regular, FULL)

Consider making another clan! Anyone can be captain.

Crawl 0.18 release: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-18-pakellass-packrats

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/d53b84c634e06bc6daaba76b703061c9a1756a51
lmgtfy.com/?q=demon roguelike download
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tournament over soon, brothers.

Demon really needs a subtitle because the name is too plain.

>landmine in the toilet

made this for the OP.

was about to submit

Anything he could put there would be bad and worse.

Demon: The descend

Demon: Dark Dungeon Ahead.

Hey. To the guy who sent me the death spellbook stuff for the spellbook spoiler, do you think you could send me the desc for nether storm? Just posting it here is fine. You missed out on that one.

DmN:Demon

You know, as tedious as playing CDDA often is, scavenging for supplies in the next closest village was always strangely fun.

those eyes are fucked up

Yip

stop yiffing faggot

That one's pretty simple:

>Fires a ball of nether. Does level*15 damage in a radius of level/5.

Also jesus christ 750 damage. Too bad it's a shitty element that everything big resists.

There are 2 ogres upstairs. Should I just read fear and come back here later?

>D:3 player ghost
>Dive
>D:4 player ghost
>Dive
>D:5 player ghost
>Dive
>D:6
>Staircase I dove down has a pack of gnolls with an elder and halberds
So much for that character

Don't

Use the other stairs?

>Wow this character is off to a great start!
>Dive
>Pack of gnolls
>One has nets

2 RAPIERS LMAO

2 RAPIERS!

But then I would have an ice beast following me around on a floor with 2 or more ogres and a ghost. And that's bad, I think.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

>tfw cpa but only 17 str

Probably why it's allowed to do so much damage.

Anyway, your changes are up now. So that's 5 schools done.

>Tile shows 2 rapiras
>You can't use 2 rapiras
fuck.
ALso nice, boots of the memer

I always wondered why there are the tiles for the off-hand weapons when you can't use them.

because ettins

also elf blademasters

First the boots and now this. The game really wants me to go full stab.

This is going to be a suicide inducing splat

bloody heck

>wanting dual wielding bloat

if you have boots of ass you better not be using shortblades

pick up a real sword you dope

I'd say she looks pretty good for shub-niggurath

Well there is nothing to worry about, because I just splatted.
Fighting a catoblepas wasn't the best decision I made.
I am an idiot.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH

>catoblepas
triggered

Change Skarmory to Pidgeot
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/d53b84c634e06bc6daaba76b703061c9a1756a51

Shit guys I rolled TrTr without realizing the Spellcasting aptitude is -5 along with -3 for Transmutation. How high do I need my Transmutation before I can reliably cast Swords for Hands?

Go chei

Ruks and Ring Mail.

>Tr spellcasting starts
Your first turn should be spent reading your book, then pressing aFy.
FfFffffFfuck magic.

>every MuMo has used bucklers
>current pic still forbids bucklers

So what ability does F map to in your configuration?

Start a character.
"r"ead your book.
Then aFy.

I see. I don't know that I've ever checked a spell's description within a book before so I did not know that option was there.

I'm thankful I don't have autism.

Me too.

I'm probably autistic.
I wonder if the government would give me money if I got diagnosed.
Isn't grinding 555 for several hours one of the symptoms?

Become a NEET

>unaware of others' emotions
yeah no I'm too emphatic to be autistic

Maybe you're an effeminate cuckold.

I'm too much man for you to take

fight me irl and see what happens etc.

We'll see about that.

>try an earth elemental after last thread's discussion
>take longer than I'd like to admit to figure out how to eat
I might actually be retarded.

Do you guys think the guy who made Demon played a lot of Azure Dreams?

Do you think there's a single person talking about that game that keeps sameposting in the thread?

is there a download link for Demon?

lmgtfy.com/?q=demon roguelike download

No. Why are you so upset?

user...read the pastas in the OP

Upset? I'm just asking.

Nigga you already have blades for hands, why are you doing this?

Just survived with 2 HP aftering taking on Edmund, Siegfried and Blork the Orc on D:5. Still can't cast Swords for Arms. Are Claws 3 as good as Swords for Arms?

I'm a VsMo, just found a +9 hand axe on D2 with flaming, rf, and str bonus. Is it worth using with no levels in axe to carry me over, or is my unarmed 7 way better?

>get five curing potions for turning in a wanted corpse
>all rot away before I can walk to my house
Well, okay. I guess the plan is "never get confused ever".

claws 3 are not as good but if you spend all the xp you're putting into tm on unarmed instead you would probably be hitting harder, especially since swordsforarms overrides your claws bonus

there are staves of curing

pretty high level tho

Wait...does Swords for Arms use Unarmed or Short/Long Sword skill for attacking?

unarmed

Unarmed
Why are you calling Blade Hands Sword for Arms

it uses unarmed

it's actually called Blade Hands, don't worry

but a troll trying to get bladehands castable will be spending way more xp than other transmuters for LESS benefit than other transmuters (since the increase from claws 3 to bladehands is smaller than the increase from bare fists to bladehands)

b-but muh swords for arms and legs made of scorpions
Transmuters lied to me

I was going through the learndb and I have to wonder, where did that delusion that Crawl's userbase is made up of grizzled Nethack veterans come from? For that matter, what made them apparently think Crawl is better designed than Nethack?

>find Robin's castle of goblins™
>one of the goblins comes around the corner out of the back room where they all like to clusterfuck in front of the small treasure room
>the goblin shouts! you hear a shout! x10
>you hear a zap. you hear a grinding noise.
>you hear a zap. some rock shatters into small pieces
>Robin had a wand of digging so now there's a large hole in the wall and goblins are streaming out of it
>Robin starts chucking goblins so I start backpedaling as hard as I can
>take a few of them out before Robin buffs them up
>take a few more out as I'm retreating and Robin is chucking goblin after goblin and zapping that wand like crazy
>Robin gets in range and hits me with a scimitar a few times and I suddenly blink a few tiles back
>wut internally for a moment then realize she has a distortion weapon
>whatever, that blink got me unsurrounded
>continue my assault and take out some more gobbos, get teled by Robin's weapon about halfway across the floor
>start making my way back to where she was
>you hear a zap. you hear a grinding noise x6
>Robin still zapping the shit out of that wand, trying to find me I guess
>come around the corner to where she is and there's so much wall missing
>I'm tired of her shit at this point and shoot her with a curare dart and let the poison finish her off while I deal with the goblin she threw at me
That was certainly an interesting encounter.

It's full of disgusting normalfags because it has tiles and it's boring.

>can't eat mountain tiles in the wilderness
Always a good start when you have to recall to the dungeon to not starve. Now to figure out how to make it to another town without dying, thanks to regeneration and a non-portable food source.

Consider suicide.

>For that matter, what made them apparently think Crawl is better designed than Nethack?
I'd actually say it is better. They're extremely different games with different gameplay, goals and designs, but overall... Nethack has too many bullshit deaths. Dying is fine. You should always be able to learn from it, though. See where you went wrong, and how you'll prevent that from happening next time. Being forced to look it up in the source or online is not fine. It's not fun. It's just a gigantic mess that somehow incited people to start praising its 'difficulty'.

well you could do it with a big enough stack of ?recall, since when you recall out of the dungeon you end up at the same location on the world map that you recalled in from

I mean, if you're absolutely dumbfounded and have to look up why you died after grabbing a cockatrice corpse, got zapped by a wand of death or choked after gobbling down all your food you're pretty dumb. Even things like Elbereth can be found out either by the Guidebook, or if you prefer to do so in-game, rumors and the Oracle (which was intended to be the way people found out about all those cryptic spoilers).

In the quality of gameplay itself, Crawl is nowhere near the same level as Nethack. Once you get good in Nethack you can win far more readily than in Crawl, which is a huge blow to the argument that Nethack depends on spoilers, RNG and all that jazz more than crawl

Oh yes, and Nethack doesn't have shit like Torment on it. That's all that needs to be said about its design compared to Crawl's.

>Once you get good in Nethack you can win far more readily than in Crawl, which is a huge blow to the argument that Nethack depends on spoilers, RNG and all that jazz more than crawl

you're right about the RNG but that's actually evidence *for* the fact that nethack's dependent on spoilers. once you're experienced with the game and know all the stuff you would be checking spoilers for, you can win very often

but crawl is easy as shit to win

not to me

Perhaps, but the whole thing about having to memorize a encyclopedia of spoilers to win nethack is very much a meme.
Roguelikes by the most part are not that hard to win if you know what you're doing despite their legendary status (unless they're shit like IVAN which is intentionally as punishing as possible and not even really intended to be won). Crawl would actually be average or a bit above average in difficulty. No one ever makes a compelling argument to why Crawl is supposedly tso piss-easy, it just keeps being repeated to the point "Crawl is easy" is now a self-perpetuating, automatic response. In other words, a meme

you'll get there

Crawl is easy because it very rarely throws instant death situations your way.

Though I should add, crawl is as easy as you make it. A MiBe will have a much easier time than a MuMo

I don't appreciate bullying

Brah, if you want coaching just post your name/server. Lots of us are willing to help

How do I increase the + level on rods?

Burn your recharge scrolls on them

.Those of us who are too burnt out on crawl are always willing to help another.

What roguelike does? *hacks got that fame during a time when spoilers were relatively hard to get unless you learned them by your own experience or dived through the source, and let's not forget that the majority of people who take part in any hobby are petty bad or not all that dedicated to it. *bands rarely ever do that. Almost all the modern roguelikes avoid that precisely due to the ill fame the genre got

The most that can be said is badly designed lategames like PCB's or funnily enough, Crawl's post-end. But both of them are perfectly winnable

I'm working on my writing right now. Though I don't mind later on if I don't fall asleep.