/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Move like a Urist.

Last =Thread= >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!

1st for page 10

How are there just random open spaces leading into my fort from outside? I had my fort all sealed up but there are corpses piling inside from the surface through holes I never made

Cave in? Give us some pics.

>tfw the thread I OP'd was one of the few that didn't die

There's only two, but its a pain in the ass to seal off whole sections of my fort

What's so pain in the ass about constructing a floor over those two holes?

Looks like he's got zombies pouring into those two holes mang. Looks pretty fun.

I'd do it if there weren't a hundred corpses outside, my dude

Right now I gotta scramble to build walls

This happens when cutting down trees that are 1 z-level above an open space

its a pain, but I think it has something to do with the way that roots grow?

I hope all these zombies fuck off soon

>make paved road from gate to edge of the map

I mean it looks neat but will this do anything for me?

have they bruoght back the economy yet?
have they brought back underground rivers that flood on occasion yet?

everything else is just fluff but i want the lazy dwarfs to be evicted from their residences if they are lazy and to be hammered when the tax collector makes his rounds

stops trees from growing and blocking caravans

Floods you say?

Not yet

Toady has been spending his time on other things

>tfw you find a gold vein and dig it all out

It's nice to have the gold, but now I'm stuck with this ugly twisting passage. How can I make it look nicer?

it seems like Toady never really liked the Dwarven Economy that much in the first place.

I've never made a hospital before, I know you have to use zones, but what exactly do I all need to make one?

Twisty mining passages are the best, git gud pleb

CORPSES FUCK OFF

anyone ever flood the magma sea with the water thats around the caverns?

how would you do it without drowning your dwarfs,I'm around 9 levels above where the water & magma meet
Water
Magma

Pumps?

Build cage traps and dump them all in a pit. Then dump your worthless un-militia worthy migrants into it. Make a hall of slabs to commemorate the sacrifices.

Build tables, beds, traction benches, and containers within the boundaries of the zone

Dwarves will gather buckets, cloth, thread, and plaster and place them all in the containers for medical use.

I had to build walls around where it was spreading bit by bit, but the last part to the south required obsidian casting so I hauled loads of minecarts to a volcano north of me, swam down into the sea to a candy cane to the east where I could find a flat surface to drop the cart, filling it in the process (can't fill a cart from magma directly anymore) and repeated this about a dozen times.

Used the same method to block off the river sections, slapping wooden walls and floors into place whereever I could. The entire campsite is now deforested, and I've been working on much of the north and east chunks now.

The spill to the east was due to pressure, one of the earlier walls I built wasn't going to be able to catch the water so I put a lower one further out and the water shoots up from the U-bend there effectively.

Every so often while I was at the spire filling my candy I'd take that chance to fill my merriment/prayer needs.

Sadly I have no idea what to do with it, it's literally in the middle of nowhere, I was just checking a cave at the southeast corner of the map and heading west crossing rivers when a block of water fell out of the sky. Hadn't seen that bug in a while so I figured fuck it, I'm gonna catch it!

What have I missed after not playing for 5/6 years

What species are you? Or modded?

Try downloading it and being surprised~

Way modded, yeah, I basically took the materials and whatnot from my tougher dragons and put them in a dwarf shaped template, though the speed buffs were from hunting down various beasts/making shit from their hearts.

Finally got the last of the big leaks plugged. Though I suspect that the water will keep spawning every time I reload the campsite so it might need to be a few levels taller.

Magma flows eat obsidian.

New to new thread.

Sometimes I build wagon-guide bollards or in other words columns along a road to keep the merchants from going over nonroad and kill trees that I want to grow up.

>Wanting trees to grow up.
What are you, an Elf?

It is extremely shallow, just 1z - but it's not an "attempt to ruin DF", just someone that liked DF but wanted to do something the same outside of the limitations of a mod (and/or make money/a following doing it). DF being cloned is good, me learning existence of this game renewed my interest in DF, after I took a break waiting for updates.
My criticism of it is that it doesn't bring anything new to the table aside from modern elements, like a graphical UI, programmer pixel art, and mouse input. :^)

>run into a camp
>see this

It's so damn laggy here... there must be a shitton of hidden lads there or something. I can't even get closer to check though, a single tick lasts like, half a minute.

This is the main reason I run around at 10.0 speed, you can just barely move in these situations.

Yeah. About 15 minutes ago I thought I'd take a step east.

I'm still waiting. Never again.

>dwarf fortress
>not even once

What's the best tileset?

none/ascii

second best
CLA

third best
ironhand

The default tileset.

I'll default your tileset.

L-lewd

square default best

Is there an easier way to keep dwarves from using tallow to cook with than undesignating it in the kitchen screen? Like, a simpler more elegant way? Because having to undesignate each variety of tallow for each type of animal in the world as it appears is... kind of a drag. Is there a utility or something that does the same job with one checkbox?

In your food stockpiles, forbid all fats/tallows. Assign that stockpile to give to all of your kitchens, making it that your kitchens will NOT take from any other stockpile besides the one assigned to give to them.

Make a second stockpile for only fats/tallows, so you can use it for soap or w/e

Thanks, that sounds a lot easier!

Finally got the water contained.

Almost an entire camp with 2 z levels of 7/7 water, with a mix of 3/7~5/7 above that.

My improved version of the default curses_640x300.

Sorry, miscounted, there are 8396 tiles (counted by planning a floor over it) with 3 z levels of 7/7, and THEN a partially filled layer of 3/7~5/7 or so.

Biggest above ground pool ever, and it rains bright red bitter ooze periodically.

Looks like it damn near stabilized at 4/7 across the top layer.

I have no idea what to do with it now.

There's no way to get armor for large/small creatures currently apart from DFhack, right?

In a fort you can order them in suitable sizes. If you make it with a reaction you can also size it, need the reactions though.

Course, gloves don't have handedness still.

Do you guys recommend the starter pack?

I recommend doing what I did: diving into the normal game headfirst with no idea how to play and learning from my mistakes. Because remember, losing is fun.

It's in the OP for a reason, but that said I don't use a lot of the utilities included. At this point I'm practically playing vanilla, but the utilities are neat to have I guess.

which one is the best adventurer crafting mod, dfg?

>enemy c4
>kills me every time
>me c4
>friendly device destroyed -10

fuck wrong thread

Dorfs armed with C4 would be pretty cool though.

They're all worth checking out, I ended up rolling my own. Just look for Wanderer[something] basically.

/ps2g/ pls stay and stay here

It is bump at least.

How do you raise toughness and endurance in adventurer mode? Only my strength has raised since I started playing

Swimming, Wrestling, uhhhh, various other combat skills?

so this guy came along in a migrant wave

he has literally every goddamn farming labor at novice, alongside metalsmithing and mining at proficient-ish

do i stick it in a drowning chamber and see what happens?

Are bumblebees ok for bee industry?
The wiki says so but my dwarves won't instal a colony of them.
Also, is there a way to ''spawn'' a honey bee hive on the map?

I doubt he's a vampire honestly, they usually have one or two very high skills.
If you have a useless child, stick both of them in a room togher and see what happens.

My attributes:
Superhuman Strength
High Agility (base)
High Toughness (base)
High Endurance (base)

Skills:

Adept Axeman, Skilled Shield User, Talented Armor User, Professional Thrower, Adequate Swimmer, Legendary Tracker, Skilled Observer, Adept Fighter, Expert Archer, Adequate Wrestler, Skilled Dodger

I really don't know what to do for endurance and toughness, I think they probably don't matter anymore since I'm a vampire.

Attributes do increase when vamped, they're doubled but it's a syndrome so it doesn't show as being doubled.

Dude you got a real dorf hermit that probably tagged along the migration wave because he was sick of being lonely.
I wish shit like that was actually in the game

>Giant monkeys keep climbing trees, falling over, and breaking their skulls
Fucking dumbasses.

What are his combat skills at?

People //do// things during/after world-gen now, those skills aren't unusual really.

>tfw the perfect embark
I have clay, sand, bees, a awesome mountain cutting river and plenty of iron.

>playing easy mode and being proud of it
elf.

I just want to build a comfy fort and have nice industries.
Undead embarks are boring as fuck, and glaciers are easy once you break the ice layer.

What about kaolinite? I wouldn't embark in a site that lacked kaolinite.

All the red shit on the pic is Kaol, was planning on making glass industry but with all this Kaolinite i might as well do Porcelain

>tfw too dumb to figure out how to get around aquifers but pretty much every site i go to has them
>tfw just getting rid of them in the RAWs

I feel as though I am committing a mortal sin. I just don't want to waste half a year sitting around in the dirt waiting to finally break through the damn aquifer.

Have you read the wiki?
All you need is a miner and common sense and its easy as fuck.
But don't feel ashamed for taking them out, they are just an inconvenience if you ask me.

I read the wiki and tried the double slit method to the T; I couldn't get past the first layer since aquifers apparently don't drain downwards into lower layers now apparently?

When the fuck will people learn that aquifers are supposed to encourage players to build near mountains? Dwarves are mountain dwellers, you know.

There's a reason that worldgen dwarves only build shallow hillocks outside of the mountains.

so I can then take an axe to them.

Fastest way I've found to raise endurance is swimming under bridges. Just be careful not to drown or get frozen.

>settle in evil biome
>literally only rain and some giant alligators
>itsfuckingnothing.jpg
>two months later
>dwarves are blinking red, their lungs are turning yellow

this can't be good

the lung thing went away, they're still occasionally blinking red, should I try and diagnose them?

If I play as a saltwater crocodile man I won't be able to find properly sized armor right?

Gotta do reactions or use a player fort to make it.

>It zeems ze problem eez ze lungs
>So what do you suggest, Doc?
>Maybe ve remove zem? Zee vat happen?

begone page 10

Those'll be a pain in the ass to fill.

Nice save!

How long does it take for a siege to retreat?

How does one pray or meditate?

Depends on who siege you. Zombies wait literally several years.

>pray
By greeting your deity through the 'k' menu.

>meditate
No idea, but reading books probably does it.

Are there any dfhack commands to end a siege?

No idea, but 'exterminate undead' should help

Ah, I am a dubious worshiper of a force rather than a deity so I can't greet them.

I wish there was a mod so my adventurer could rape his way through a kobold cave

good day to you /dfg/!
I recently started playing again and delving a little deeper than I ever got to before.
One simple question or two, though.
Do elves still get butthurt if you get wood from underground caverns?
What's the DFHack command to clean ownership? Will this mess things up?
Any other commands I should keep in mind to clean up and improve performance? Thanks.