/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just like post progress edition

> CURRENT JAM, MAKE GAME!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

In other news:
DD8 has been retired to the pastebin, RIPIP.

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

waifus

are for

losers

who make indie games

and post on /agdg/

and have good taste in chinese cartoons

progressobot 2million
ive never done anything in blender but this seems like something i can work with

Does Vine take pills? I can't even handle how juicy his 3d art looks.

Blender isnt too hard for making just still models. I always find myself struggling when it comes to animation though, so I am trying to get better at it

He has the talent but damn you can tell hes a lazy fuck. You can tell hes not at hes full potential. So unfortunate...

yeah animating this little dude is gonna be fun

>not using objectively best method

Curly bracket on next line if function or class declaration, otherwise it's absolutely unforgivable.

Hey. This coming from non-dev with a passing interest that may or may not be able to be cultivated into a passion: If I want to make a 3-d third-person action-RPG game with low-poly assets, what boxed engine would you recommend?

I've pretty much got no coding background, so I really can't say I'd know what would be best to start with.

unity

>3-d third-person action-RPG game
>I've pretty much got no coding background

w8 I thk bunch other people here can relate to that!

cute

I wanted a simple answer to a simple question. I'm not about to sperg about how cool it is and how totally I need a team that will totally be paid when I totally make it big like Fhil Pish.

I wanted to know if people with experience had input.

You can all go back to the regularly scheduled shitposting.

If I come back it's going to be with progress.

so you are gonna pay people for progress? how convenient

I'm in the same position. Learning 3D modelling, and working on coding through codecademy, it's slow, but it's something.

Take a tip from:
Learn the basics of coding first. You need to understand what's going on on atleast some rudimentary level.

I've kinda got the retard basics down. I worked a little with RPGM VXAce (I know, I know; rubyscript can be barely called a fucking language.) and really, I just got the idea that if I'm going to try and do this kinda crap, I might as well try to do it right.

Making a game where you are not-Gendo commanding every part of not-NERV. So far its pretty fun, controlling not-EVAs and conventional forces to fight not-Angels while dealing with all the other shit happening in not-NERV. But HOLY FUCK is the interface ugly. Like goddamn, I dont think I could actually make something worse then this.

imagine banging her while she licks your hanging balls

How to move independently each individual letters that are in a string format on the text component in unity.

You don't.
There's some methods that involve rendering the texture, then splitting it up into different letters and moving the rendered letters.

You could also create something that initiates a text component for each letter. Use object pooling if you're doing that.

Alright it makes sense. Thx.

>tfw beginner progress.
It feels so good.
After spending a couple of days following tutorial projects to get the hang of GML, I started my own project using my own direction.
It's only basic movement controls and collision detection at this point but I'm still happy because I didn't think I'd get this fair using GML as I'm a complete dunderhead.
>Movement is controlled via mouse scroll wheel (managed to make it smooth rather than a static jump).
>Left click will "drop down" the player object so as to avoid objects.
>Player object cannot exit vertical room boundaries and merely bounce against them.
>Collision with failure block will set the player back and up a predetermined amount.
Next up is implementing the fail state block and then I'll get to work on the scoring system.
Once I've done that, I'll polish up the basic functions I have.
>Making the vertical direction on hit be random (or alternatively, towards the centre of the screen.) (I've got a good understanding of how to do this.)
>Destroying the other object in collision.
>Adding image_angle change on movement . I've done it before, I just had problems with making the image_angle not move past a certain point and being able to re-centre itself accurately (but I've just thought of a good way on avoiding this as I'm typing).

Making this is really, really fun. Especially when you solve a bug and a different bug appears. It's like a puzzle.

look, a nodev became a yesdev

what's YOUR excuse /agdg/?

Anyone have a suggestion for a engine to make a script heavy JRPG? Something that does good resolution and is very flexible

I'm having sex with my fat tittied gf

I don't think there really is anything for that genre specifically. It's pretty much just GameMaker and RPG Maker. Both which have pretty significant limitations but can be good with a lot of effort.

What limitations? I plan to make something similar in gameplay to Fallout 4 but in JRPG form

Behold, Windows 1.0. It cant be worse than this.

Well, rpg maker you pretty much have to make your game exactly with how the engine works without much modifications. If you want to make a clone of FF4 it will do most of the work for you, but anything else is probably out of scope.

GameMaker is an engine for people who don't know how to code, and thus it's not particularly fast and limited to 2D. It's probably possible to do some more complicated things in it, but it may not be worth the effort to do it with their scripting language. It has most of what you'd need for any generic 2D game though (but nothing specifically for JRPGs).

If you wanted it to be 3D, that'll never happen, so.

RPG Maker has significant limitations as it's more of a specially designed tool instead of a generic game engine. If your game aligns with what RPG Maker's devs envisioned (e.g. turn based combat), it's great. If not (e.g. you want real time VATs combat or something) you're stuck trying to get a mod / plugin / whatever to hack what you need into RPG Maker, which kinda defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

Game Maker is a lot less limited. It's a generic game engine - it gives you the tools for drawing stuff to the screen, managing objects, checking for collisions between objects, etc. It takes a bit longer to get your game going vs tools like RPG Maker, since you don't have the basic framework of an RPG set out for you, but once you get going the only real limits are high end graphical/computational (e.g. wanting to have millions of things drawn at once, super high complexity graphics, etc). Just look at some of the /agdg/ GM games to get an idea of what you can do (e.g. Sourcerobe, Risk of Rain, Zero Quest, Clarent, etc).

Unity has almost no limitations but it's a lot slower to get going than GM, requires programming knowledge, and it's a bit of pain for 2D games.

I actually like that shitty font. Going to use that.

Wow this takes me back to my childhood. I feel old as fuck.

I did some more work on the robot variation of my contra dude redesign.

I think I'll be going with the robot. The afro dude is fun, but doesn't really fit in the game that well (he's more of a movie cliche rather than a video game cliche) and it'd be a pain to write dialogue for him. Plus I like the idea of spoofing Probotector (the censored european version of Contra that replaced everything with robots), since the characters in my game are meant to be from knock-off/bad versions of popular games.

I added right-click to identify items/monsters in the world instead of just working on items in your inventory. I have most of the code there but I still need to actually give it the skill check to see if your ID Item/Monster skill is high enough to display the information.

But who's going to be your token black guy? I know you're going for retro stuff, but this is a perfectly fine opportunity to satirize the trend of stero typical black dudes in games.

im glad you chose the robot design (cucks btfo)

its nice seeing small but consistent updates on your game

meh, the contra looked way better. The silver looks kinda crappy compared to the skin color, but it's you're game so good luck with it

>cucks btfo
please leave /pol/, and take your generic all purpose middle school grade insults with you.

cuck shills are full force

don't listen to them they have an agenda to push

Made so much invisible progress today

Im going to make a snow track next, I think.

What engines/frameworks/whatever do you recommend for a C++ dev? I'm not looking for anything specific, just want to know what are the options.

Whitesmiths all the way, family

Damn, that's pretty nice. Were you inspired by the Star Wars podracing arcade game?

I know the Contra dude looked better... but he was literally a direct sprite rip from Contra (the Wii version) with very minor edits. I couldn't really keep him in the game.

Now that he's moderately edited into a robot hopefully it should be okay.

It's on my list.

>Androgynous hand.
>Trans ghost QT
>Robot Kin black guy.
>AZN sue parker cosplayer
>Puerto Rican 90's kid.

I'd say his game is quite the liberal agenda.

every game has to be liker underttale nowadays

Since you went with the clothed robot, have some inspiration. This guy always reminded me of the Probotector robots, and making his head less human looking would probably increase the sprite's readability, sice right now it looks too much like silver surfer in my opinion.

it's basically Unreal and CryEngine for 3d game engines, and not much for 2D. For general low-level frameworks you have SFML, Ogre3D, and Allegro.

Yep! But I want it to be more than just a pretty remake. Unfortunately, I'm just an artist blundering around, so its pretty basic atm.

You have a nice style going. I think there's a niche for this kind of game nowadays; I can't think of anyone who has done something similar.

Racing AI will be tough, but that's always tough, I suppose. Do you plan to make it multiplayer?

>but he was literally a direct sprite rip from Contra (the Wii version) with very minor edits. I couldn't really keep him in the game.
ah, k

Thanks, and yea, I think it has a chance to stand out. I also want to give it solid VR support which should also help.

Multiplayer is the plan, so I need to find a programmer that can handle the network side of things too. And that has taken awhile.

I don't know if I'll even bother with AI, desu. That is a whole different can of worms.

Added character animation stuff to the dialog stuff.
Stuff.

Thanks. I'm working on making him look more like a robot.

Which head do you guys prefer?

Robot's face is super cute, as is the bopping as it talks. You're good at putting personality in via animation. You should feel good

I added some skill checks. For monsters, it will show health for basic, stats for expert, and equipment for master. For items... well I didn't really do this yet. I have to write the loot generator class before I can ID items because I need to give each item an item level and base the ID skill check off the item level. The functions are all there though.

That's probably good for tonight.

Top middle, personally.
I like the big screen head thing.

top middle

here's some inspo

Bad Artist here

What do you guys think of my Cyclops Gal?

The bottom middle and bottom right are the coolest, but top middle could be great if you'd be able to put in digital facial animations.

looks like Leela's mom

I could probably handle the AI part, but I'm not good at networking stuff...

You game looks so polished. I'm jealous.

How do you pick the colour palette for your pixel art?

Pupil seems a little too square, the bottom eyelid looks slightly off (might just be pixel limitations), and the model is a little too simple overall, but that's not a problem if you just made it for basic proportions.

Thanks, pickles.

I don't really use palettes, I kinda just experiment a little with colors until something feels good.
After that I kind of try to limit myself to not use too many colors, but its usually a complete toss up because I'm dumb and like making things harder!
After that I try

Wow I screwed that up.

Anyways, in terms of colors, I'm currently using Aseprite and its made color theory a whole lot easier to use simply because of how easy it is to change stuff and mix with the HSV/RGB scales and stuff.

Definitely top middle.

Is there a way to make money off of game 3d without talking to people? Stock sites require high poly models, asset store is oversaturated as fuck. What do?

no

>Curly bracket
Confirmed nodev.

In all seriousness though, why is it that nobody refers to them by their actual name, braces?

How about fixing the vehicles behaviour so it's not rigidly connected like that? It's just not satisfying to watch like that.

>"actual" name

How fast it going to be?
Because fast is pretty fun.

"Helm, report!"
"Aye, can't see shit cap'n!"

Are the square ones braces or brackets?

Slap some hinge joints on the engines, make them bounce around. Literally 5 minutes of fucking with it and it'll look much more natural.

last time I tried gamedev I stopped because it felt too much like what I do at work

this time I'm going to do a front-end approach rather than getting started by writing REST APIs

Anyone know any examples of babby's first raytracer?

That's the point; it's supposed to be hard to find things in there.

if you're trying to make a game by writing a raytracer or a REST API you've been doing it wrong this whole time

the weird thing is I've done game jams before and actually made things

but that feels like a lifetime ago and the code I wrote looks so primitive now

>tried to start making my game this year
>got roughly 1/2 of the easiest system to work
>started working on the combat and then lost interest and couldn't do it anymore
>that was months ago
>making this game is the only way to avoid a life of NEETdom or wageslavery
>still can't restart

Totally agree. Top Middle. You could add some kind of CRT screen effect to it, like pic related. it would look really cool

>If I come back it's going to be with progress.
Good luck, I genuinely hope you do well and come back to us - but you should definitely learn the basics of coding before you start. Games are still made out of code, even if your engine abstracts this away, your game will never run well unless you have some idea what's going on behind the scenes.

extra new lines is heresy. repent waster of bytes.

newline and space are the same number of bytes

that said, it is wasting valuable screen space

Space Dementia cameo?