/emugen/

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VzQE4pLjhg4
github.com/yupferris/rustendo64/issues/28
youtube.com/watch?v=g4m-wyFC5-M
byuu.org/emulation/higan/game-paks
tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=-AHbEVt2LSs&list=PL930C41E90DA343E7&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=xKXJzwjfcZ8
github.com/simias/beetle-psx-libretro/commit/ca2321d32012976bc2afa1380a49288652fed820
forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=59867
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Famicom_Color_Palette#Download
fceux.com/web/help/fceux.html?PaletteOptions.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>He essentially ripped them off and refuses to give anything back.
What's the story behind this? I only recently started taking interest in the actual development of emulators rather than just using them.

Don't mind me, just here to shit the thread up like usual

is there hope for n64 emulation?

yes.

Damn. Wasn't fast enough on my OC but have this anyway.
Needs work. Need to get a better font but I was rushing in anticipation of new thread.

This picture has a shitty palette.

youtube.com/watch?v=VzQE4pLjhg4

Ferris = Simias?

What's the most accurate palette we can put on it?

Please don't try to explain to me how there is no such thing as an "official" or "correct" palette because my peanut sized brain can't comprehend such a statement.

I hope not, otherwise I think I might have mental issues: github.com/yupferris/rustendo64/issues/28

puNES uses code from RetroArch which has to be open-sourced due the GPL.

However, puNES used to be closed-source for years and on top of the the author rejected the idea of a libretro port, which is quite a dick move.

Make it optional then and warn people that it might break stuff.
Shows that it can help to fix awful slowdown that makes some games a slog to play.

>Make it optional then and warn people that it might break stuff.
Or

Just hear me out

Use FCEUX

how's this?

Too red.

But NEStopia is better for everything else.

>underestimating PJ64 devs
top kek

Well one thing I'm sure about, is that I asked Maister if it's portable to any emulator, he said yes.

Or

Just hear me out

Don't use a cycle-accurate emulator for overclocking

Princess N64 and her Kingdom

Overclocking has nothing to to with accuracy.

Also, Nestopia isn't cycle-accurate

Why not? It's not like it's a super complex hack.

Is this the future of programming? Facecam streamed on twitch as you write an emu? Will girls learn to program and show off their breasts as they do so live on twitch?

>Overclocking has nothing to to with accuracy.
We're off to a great start

You can overclock a real NES too

That is modded, not the NES as intended

Do you even know what overclocking is?

Hardware mods don't factor in accuracy.

youtube.com/watch?v=g4m-wyFC5-M

notice how it also fucks sound? Do we want that emulated as well? lol

The UI and debugger are pretty great.

Some palettes are better than others. Those that are derived from tv ntsc decoders or try to be accurate are the best. In other words, do they at least aim for a real world result? These are:

>Consumer
>Rock man 9
>Unsaturated-V5

Just pick the one you like the most. FCEUX palette is nice too. It passes the Brick Test.

Btw, we should add a gallery showing off all the different palettes handling the CV level 2 bricks.

>promoting closed source software

So it changes the pitch. I'm sure that can be corrected for.

Shit man, I can go downstairs and drink a bottle of bleach if I really wanted to.

Doesn't mean I should

reposting the Sony palette

FCEUX palette is nowhere near accurate, but it looks the most eye pleasing so it's okay in my book.

Say what you will, but the debugger in BGB is the single best debugger the GameBoy will ever get

Unsaturated-V5 master race reporting in.

"The brick test"
What, the fact that CV1 devs designed their game around a particular decoder? That's not a requirement for palettes.

On real hardware?

We should use all the same settings. Let's use:

>no shaders or filters
>x2 resolution

Learn aspect ratios.

byuu.org/emulation/higan/game-paks

I'm just stating a fact. I wish open source devs would try to compete with it (or for the BGB dev to open source it).

Who cares about real hardware?

Widescreen master race.

Threadly reminder that you don't have a properly calibrated screen and therefore can't meaningfully evaluate those screenshots for perceived accuracy.

>Who cares about real hardware?

I do

Are you nerds playing 16:9 stretched or something?
This is 8:7 with the Sony palette, 2x

close enough

The core is set to 8:7 but I've got a custom viewport set to 16:9

What software is this?

>but I've got a custom viewport set to 16:9

There's not nearly enough contrast here. I don't get how anybody could argue that this is what the devs intended. The characters blend into the background.

Red bricks are probably what they were going for, but we can't be sure exactly what shade of red. But in any case, Simon stands out pretty well. He's beige and orange.

btw Simon Belmont's design is based on King Conan from Conan the Barbarian.

You think that's bad? Check out Crash.

Bullshit, Simon's always been based off Light Yagami and post-mafia Mello

I got it from
tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

It's some spectrophotometer thing

>Nestopia more accurate than puNES
{Citation Needed}

I actually unironically liked some of Obatas designs for the game. Alot of them look like ideas for Shinigamis Obata never got to use in the DN manga.

Citation is SquarePusher

Note that those results are post-calibration with an external spectrometer:

>We used the X-rite i1 Pro spectrophotometer combined with the LaCie Blue Eye Pro software package to achieve these results and reports.

If you haven't done that yourself you're probably closer to the standard colors, pic related.

That isn't a citation
Give me a source with more clout than the tests done by TAS autists

Honestly, if they used Obata's artwork for an actual Castlevania instead of a non-canon shovelware fighting game when the series was dying before Lords of Shadow pulled the plug, I think people would have been a lot more open to his designs.

Still has the best OST in the series though:

youtube.com/watch?v=-AHbEVt2LSs&list=PL930C41E90DA343E7&index=4

Yes, I'm using their icc profile and recommended settings.

do you think byuu is still relevant really?
it pretty much stopped at bsnes
and he achieved bsnes by trial and error
not necessarily by any kind of great skills
whether it be math, or programming

You should be pretty close then. There could still be variations for individual screens but it's still better than most.

I prefer the Rondo version of Vampire Killer myself, but the soundtrack was definitely Judgment's saving grace
youtube.com/watch?v=xKXJzwjfcZ8
>when the series was dying
The series was doing fine before Judgement. The DS games were all solid; it was everything AFTER judgement that shat the bed. HoD, LoS1/2, that piss awful 2.5d Mirror of Fate and pachinko
Who is this memer

he's right. It's too bad that /emugen won't get on board with game-folders.
Having an environment exclusive to the title is inherently superior for obvious fucking reasons.
The defacto method of film-managment follows a very similar paradigm to what byuu proposes with his game-paks.
This methodology was the culmination of many, many people's who take cinema far more seriously than retro faggots take gaming.
The reasoning behind *most* current systems of game-management arose from a time which had inherent limitations due to their asset-cataloging infrastructure.
Byuu's "Game-paks" breaks compatibility with other emulators because he went overboard with the cart-disection, so it totally fucking sucks, but the idea and philosophy behind it is sound.

Oh, and also before Judgement we had Dracula X Chronicles

Currently testing palettes and will make a big image collage and gallery for them.

Now which FCEUX ones should I test? There's like 5. Does it use all of them or are they some old deprecated ones, vs. current ones? I only want to test what it actually currently uses. I don't know what any of these titles mean.

You're doing a great service. I'd say test ones that seem to be going for accuracy.

>The series was doing fine before Judgement.
I remember nothing from that time period aside from people (read: "journalists") being upset at:

DS' awful anime artstyle, being an unnecessary sequel, and having a bad localization. IMO, the only thing it had going for it was Julius mode that added Yoko and Alucard

PoR's "wonderful" localization that managed to misspell Richter's name in every single instance, but why they didn't focus on the good parts (which was literally everything else) is beyond me

OoE being the best game in the series that absolutely nobody wanted to acknowledge for some reason

Dracula X Chronicles being released on a dead handheld that didn't even include the Saturn bonus content for SotN aside from Maria, but changed her for the worse

Then there was Judgement and it was all downhill from there

Being a Castlevania fan is suffering, but at least Bloodstained is looking to be the 10/10 spiritual successor to SotN that we need, and shoutout to based Igarashi for e-mailing me memes like this one on the reg for kickstarting it.

I don't like having "read-only" content (like the actual ROMs) stored in the same location as the games though. My ROMs are stored on read-only storage while my saves are stored on a cloud drive. Different needs for different things.

The only advantage of his method is some is that he thinks it's more "elegant" to have virtual cartridges. It's a rather weak argument IMO.

I'm having an infuriating problem that I just cannot fix, I've got an Nvidia shield portable that I updated to 5.1 from 4.3 and I've been trying to get RA working right on for at least two days now and I've made every possible search I can with no results.

Every single time I load a .cue/.iso/.bin for either mednafen or PCSX cores RA immediately crashes, I've been assuming the issue is BIOS related most of the time but no bios related changes fix anything. The most I've gotten Mednafen to do is load the bios intro and then crash RA when the game itself is loaded. I've put the bios files in the content directory, I've put them in the system directory, their own specific one, nothing changes anything. N64/Snes/etc games load perfectly fine. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to have another emulator installed, I'm trying to keep it relatively uncluttered.

>Having an environment exclusive to the title is inherently superior for obvious fucking reasons.
Since I the beginning this is how I would organize my files whenever possible. It just feels more natural and standardized in comparison to having one folder where throw all your saves, states, ROMs, etc. in respectively. I've always been on board with his ideology, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired if he wants to convince the majority. I have doubts we'll ever get to that point though.

I'm going to test the major ones. But I have no clue what these titles in the FCEUC folder mean, so I'm not sure which ones to include.

>OoE being the best game in the series that absolutely nobody wanted to acknowledge for some reason
This bothered me so much.
The complaints about DoS art-style never phased me simply because it was limited to the CS and portrait art; all other assets and designs were on point as usual. I'd totally blocked out the Richter misspelling, christ that's bad.

Purple fags WILL defend this

ROMs aliased to an environment which houses all configurations and assets is something to consider, however most content for any title is read-only and aliasing from each asset-source is messy and not in any way portable.
I think it's better to alias them to a user directory rather than the other way around.

pic related

That's literally how it would show up on a Playchoice-10

>This bothered me so much.
You have no idea how badly it bothered me. According to Igarashi, Konami basically told him that OoE was going to be the last Castlevania he was going to do, so he specifically designed OoE to be ridiculously hard (Everyone had been complaining that the series was getting to hard), brought back the gothic artstyle to appease those who thought that the shounen anime style didn't fit the series, made Shanoa because of the complaints of a lack of female playable characters not named Maria, and made it a direct sequel to SotN because it was everyone's favourite.

The game was straight up an 11/10 to appease EVERYONE who had problems with the series after SotN, and nobody gave it a second glance.

I refuse to believe that anyone who reviewed the game and gave it less than a 9/10 didn't make it more than three hours into the game, let alone to Castlevania.

>tfw severely color blind towards red and green and the last week has primarily been about NES palettes where the tests are done on red/purple bricks

just fuck me up senpai

>Everyone had been complaining that the series was getting to hard
I meant easy*

This. I fucking loved OoE, damn near 100%ed it. Though the hard mode might be overkill, lol. That shit is way too hard.

I really want Bloodstained to take a similar approach.

You're not missing out.

In case you aren't shitposting, this was the only Playchoice footage I could find of 2-1 on CV. Looks kinda light-purplish but very nearly red. Of course, one has to factor in the camera it was shot with, the glare and more importantly the good chance that this is a restored cabinet and the tube might not be original.

(3:42:45 PM) hunterk: it's made worse by the scenesters always going around copy/pasting shit that's said in private/blowing off steam, just to get a rise out of people

You bastard.

github.com/simias/beetle-psx-libretro/commit/ca2321d32012976bc2afa1380a49288652fed820

Simias could you add data triangulation filtering now, perhaps based in this?

forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=59867

The hue on those bricks is heavily affected by glare and reflections. It ranges from 340 to 322 depending on where you sample from.

You're going to need accurate information to make a comparison like that.

SP is working on those filtering option, I was just giving him a hand with an error he was getting.

I'm knees deep in CD controller code, can't stop won't stop

Also bump

i could never get past that boss.

Done. A bunch of palettes from FCEUX are not documented on the Wiki.

Good job. What the fuck where they thinking with the Wii VC.

>Wii VC
What were they thinking?

good work.

Looks like "BMF Final 2" is best for that game, whatever that means.

I prefer ASQ Reality A on my screen. Unsaturated V5 isn't bad either.

Now, do one with SMB 1-2 to show blue/cyan colors.

Consumer, RGB, Alternative, are not listed in the Palette download. And it doesn't list a bunch of the FCEUX palettes.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Famicom_Color_Palette#Download

3DS is over saturated a bit. Wii, not sure what they're doing. I've heard it could be a poor attempt at replicating CRT effects. Or it could be an attempt to reduce seizure chances.

>whatever that means

Some guy just looked at his tv and tried to replicate it.

fceux.com/web/help/fceux.html?PaletteOptions.html

Alright.