/evn/ - pls no bully edition

Thread for the discussion of visual novels originally created in English, other than those belonging to /ksg/.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37259&p=403770
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I hope the VN is less boring than the book it's based on (yes, I realize it was written for little girls)

Motherfucker, don't you dare shit on doge.

>pupular
pustular loli archetype

Wish I didn't get exhausted and could work all day on my shit.

Being a human sucks.

>pupular
>pustular loli archetype
What a coincidence, for a typo to beget a new character archetypo.

I just want some variety in my flat. I want stoic flat, I want happy-go-lucky flat, I want sporty flat. I want behavior and body types varied a bit more in general than it seems to be the case in VNs at the moment.

There hasn't been a shortage of angry flat since at least the late 90s, along with the cheerful and huge tits girls.

Nah, you are just a hipster.

My character isn't really a tsundere, and she's not upset about her flatness. She's just stubborn and angry towards the main character.
I'm pretty sure people are going to hate her at first and not give her a chance. It kind of worries me.

I'm not. I'm "that" anime fan. Breast envy is just garbage.

Surely my evn will revolutionize the genre by having the token titty monster envy the flat chested heroine instead.

Hey, nothing is stopping you from experimenting. But other people just like their lolis insecure about their titties.

I'm not even talking about lolis.

I don't have an opinion about breast envy, so okay sure.

Stoic flat and happy go lucky flat is incredibly common as well.

Maybe we just need better-developed characters overall.
More well-rounded personalities.

More like more well rounded titties.

/blog/ said I should ask you. Are there decent english otome games?

This. You can get away with pretty much any type as long as your characters are not too flat and two-dimensional...
Sorry, had to say it

Give a better definition of 'decent'. People used to j-otome often have specific tastes in VAs or mobage that are not well-met by EVN otome. On the other hand, there are a lot of EVN otome and they have loyal fanbases.

EVN-written otome games in general tend to have lower production values and more-active heroines. And less rape.

I found the "bad" endings infuriating and Snow White's sprite is ugly, but Lads in Distress was otherwise pretty good.

7KPP has shit art, but it's extremely well-written.

>I found the "bad" endings infuriating
Do tell, lads in distress is on my backlog.

Shopped, scripted or attribute check fail?

The game makes a big deal of how troubled Charming's kingdom is and how she MUST find a suitable prince to marry. In fact, it's the entire driving force behind the plot. Particularly in Zel's second ending, she ditches her position and princess while her country is going through a rebellion claiming that "they will be fine". Mind you, this is even after Zel tells her that he's willing to marry her and join her as king.

Everything works out somehow, but it means the MC was willing to let her people die for a guy she'd known for a few weeks.

It's likely because it seems there hasn't been anything interesting done with it.

I'd kill for something yuri that's actually a fun game, a sengoku rance of yuri would be awesome.

Unfortunately, all we seem to get at the moment is "girls holding hands, and because of that things are going to be okay" games. Yuri games are self-serving right now. "Buy this because it's yuri and there's nothing else" instead of "it's yuri and something that hasn't been done before, at least with girls loving girls".

We will never get something on par with Sengoku Rance, regardless of the fetish.

so, you're saying they should stop making visual novels and make real games?

>I'd kill for something _____

go make it

or play A Land Without Night?

>instead of "it's yuri and something that hasn't been done before, at least with girls loving girls".
not innovative at all amirite?

>kinetic novel

what's your point?

If the argument is "I don't like yuri because yuri VNs are nothing but cookie-cutter schoolgirl handholding" then pointing out that this isn't true is relevant

If the argument is "I don't like yuri because I don't like visual novels and I like kinetic novels even less" then that's a bizarre argument to make in a VN thread

I think user meant that the fact it's a KN automatically invalidates it because of the lack of interactivity. That opinion is dumb as shit, but it's one that exists.

Take away the window dressing and it's the same at its core: single love interest KN.

Is this the beginning of an epic new meme? First it was episodic releases, now it's single love interests KNs.

>not wanting choices in a VN is a dumb opinion
If wanted to read a kinetic novel, I'd just go for a comic book or manga instead.

>Guys, I'm just pretending to be retarded to keep the thread alive

no you wouldn't

if you wanted to read a kinetic novel you'd read a kinetic novel

That's fine, but just because something doesn't offer an aspect you like doesn't mean that its existence is totally invalidated. VNs without choices exist. Some of them are quite good. Deal with it.

In case you weren't following the conversation, it was brought up that most yuri VNs have set pairings rather than letting the player choose (or having the MC be a slut)

So yes, it still falls under being like other yuri games, just with a new coat of paint.

Speaking of episodic releases and yuri, didn't rising angels perform pretty poorly?

So? Does that make it bad? Saying "blank doesn't have blank, that means it's the same old blank" is a lazy argument. It ignores what that specific piece of work is trying to accomplish. You're basically that Toko is the same thing as something like Lonely Yuri, when in reality they only share a certain aspect.

No, but it's currently not bringing anything new to the table.

New from what perspective? We're talking about VNs here, a medium that is driven by storytelling. I'd love to see multi-route yuri VNs, but you don't have to interactivity to bring something new to the table.

Toko, Starlight Vega, Highway Blossoms, Sakura Fantasy, Rising Angels. All of these are titles that are unique in their own right and unlike the other the other. They bring something new to the table through their characters, settings, and story.

>We're talking about VNs here, a medium that is driven by storytelling.
And most yuri VNs are just the same story but with characters and locations swapped out. My favorite out of the ones you listed is the one where two girls fumble around each other uncertainly and eventually fall in love.

>I'd love to see multi-route yuri VNs,
They exist, you even mentioned some of them in your post.

Right, but that wasn't the point of my post. I'm saying that whether they're a KN or a VN doesn't really matter as long as everything else is tight.

Then you have more of a problem with the writing, not the format.

How the hell is this any different than most bishoujo VNs?

It's fine to not be into yuri. Maybe it bores you to tears. Maybe you need a dick to identify with. It doesn't matter. You don't like it, fine.

But it's silly to argue that all yuri sucks because a lot of it uses similar tropes, or because most yuri VNs don't have a lot of gameplay (They're VNs!)

>How the hell is this any different than most bishoujo VNs?
Because that makes up maybe 60% while in yuri it's 90%.

>most yuri VNs don't have a lot of gameplay (They're VNs!)
Yes, and?

>Because that makes up maybe 60% while in yuri it's 90%.
Don't pull percentages out of your ass unless you've actually done the research to back them up. Reading the monthly New Releases blog certainly makes it sound like 90% of het VNs are the same old shit all over again too, but without actually crunching the numbers I couldn't state it as solid fact.

>Yes, and?
This is a VN thread. Most VNs don't have a lot of gameplay. It sounds a little strange to complain that VNs are VNs, in a VN thread.

>Most VNs don't have a lot of gameplay.
Quite a lot do.

KNs have no gameplay. What are they doing on /video game generals/?

stop being an elitist

you're not convincing anybody

when was the last time you got anything of value out of /evn/?

the thread when everybody made fun of winterwolves for ps:cd

Met the love of my life here.

I love you too, honey.

>evn is dead most of the time except when inherently subjective aesthetic judgments are brought into question
Kant was right.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE BRING MY PROJECT UP ALREADY I'VE BEEN DYING INSIDE SINCE THE LAST THREAD

Knife of the Traitor, Aloners, and Rock Robin (still in progress). All free games too. The first two aren't typical Otome games tho, but they do have female MCs. Lucky Rabbit Reflex is supposedly pretty good, if you can get past the chins.

Is it on vndb?

Are you that... uh... alpha-something dev?

But you don't have anything innovative. I mean, you only have an aggressive brown protagonist with a choice of love interests that include h-scenes. How does this singlehandedly revolutionise the industry?

> user comes from /blog/
> recommend them non typical otome

Thank you user. Now I can finally go to bed.
Oh I don't intend to, I just felt really left out.

Aloners has subpar art, but the writing is top notch.

generally no one gives a shit about wip since they can... die often.

It's three kinetic novels in one package, I'm sure nobody has done that before.

>kinetic novels
They're not, I should edit my lemma thread to state this. You get three decisions per route.

At least it's not six kinetic novels in one package with a tacked-on stat-raising mechanic

And all they influence is a bit of dialogue right after them?

I warned the first two were non-typical, then gave two examples that were less so. I don't see what the problem is? It's up to them if they want to play them or not.

They affect that and the CG's.

>I just felt really left out.
I was about to say 'they were listing games that actually exist' but then I realised they mentioned Highway Blossoms so fair point

Sounds like a winterwolves game.

I hate that he cycles through writes and artists - ideally, a game being from X should tell me what quality to expect, but all his games are too different for me to feel confident in the quality for is brand alone.

Thats_the_joke.jpg

Does a game being from Sekai Project tell you what quality to expect?

SP isn't a developer. They don't have a particular style or brand, or any creative influence really.

If I want to write a yuri VN and a het VN, should I use separate aliases for them so people aren't confused?

Doesn't he usually have choices of some kind in the routes? I'm pretty sure in most of his games there are choices you can make to screw up and not get the good end.

I was thinking more of those games where you literally have no choice other than "which character's story do you want".

I've been thinking this for a while, but how your protagonist looks mature, stoic, and aloof combined with her "It's hard to be humble when I'm perfection personified" quote really doesn't jive with me.
It's a fairly irritating quote regardless actually.

>pst shitting
Although I have said those exact words once to make the same point, it rustles my jimmies when others do it. So I'll play devil's advocate and say that it would be unfeasible to make a proper branch out of every one of the gazillion choices in that game.

I know, but I see a lot of players have no idea what the difference between a developer and a publisher is, and in some ways WW is closer to being a publisher (just one with a lot of creative control)

Well, most of the time you can be sure there's a 90s shareware game tacked on to keep you from enjoying the VN.

I doubt it will ever really matter.

I think Seasons of the Wolf has some choices but they only amount to do you want to kick character X of the cliff? Y/N

Creative control is the keyword. Decisions like keeping PSCD awful art are all on him, for example.

Just label the game's content, don't fuck with people by springing a surprise swerve on them in the middle, and there shouldn't be a problem.

its because the art is an old sketch
her actual sprite will be much more smug
I have been thinking of changing it but I'll wait till the art is done

Link?

I think it is "the last alpha"? Look in the previous thread, I think he posted the exact title there.

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37259&p=403770

>nothing but brown girls
Oh ye-
>not brown space erufu
What a disappointment. Can't she at least have blue skin?

92 posts in 3.5 hours. Not bad.
It was good while it lasted.

No it wasn't

not really. even worse that there was only 15 people going at it.

So... aside from the Winter Wolves games being shots in the dark, what is it that /evn/ has an issue with? Like, I've seen comments about something more to do with him, but no context for them. (I guess I miss those threads where there's context.)

Yeah, I just want the goss.

"Decent" is relative. There really aren't any with Japanese level production values, and most have either bad art or bad writing, so it's hard to recommend without reservations.

Bad art but passable writing:
- 7KPP: Only a demo right now, but fun and actually manages to be a decently challenging stat raiser
- Aloners: Well written, but only one love interest and art is limited and not great.
- A2: Funny writing, but only one LI.
- Rock Robin: Still in beta but supposed to be finished by early June. Another relatively non-tedious stat raiser.
- Nachtigal: Unsubstantial, but I had a decent time playing it.
- Guenevere: Uh, not actually a visual novel, but I'm throwing it on as a rec because it describes itself as otome and at a certain point I appreciate not being distracted from good writing by shit art.

Otherwise recommended (with reservations):
- Cupid: Not exactly romantic, but I found it interesting.
- Autumn's Journey: Not much of a plot, but decent art and worth a playthrough.
- The Blind Griffin

I can't think of any serious issues other than people mocking him over the 'sob sob' thing, is that what you're looking for?