/domg/ - Dominions General

When the BoT goes just right edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=LAte_to_the_party
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FireAndSteel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for not changing edition, user pls

Gas the birds, race wars now

Third for ichtyids.

Dryad butts.

what's the point of this
filename specifically

Ulm, I swear to god. Your army has 5 mages. AGAIN. If you're going to fucking lose the battle to come, I'm officially AI'ing myself.

Also, those RoS/EQ traps are too obvious.

1998 is the number of that monster, in this case a Fossil Warrior. In modding if you want to refer to that creature you use number 1998. Each monster has two sprites, the regular and the attacking sprite. The _1 indicates this is the regular sprite.

Ah yes, the classic SC work. Nothing surprising considering >>>no mage support

in a world of memes, You gotta show the world who's the top jew

It's a player gone AI, it's just for people wondering where the thousand or so chariots went.

also
>golden throne is UW
muh adepts

help atlantis is bullying me

Get bullied, nerd

What is Thetis' Blessing?

Reminder that it is indeed the time for everyone to invade Ermor as he killed 4 massive armies of cap-sacreds, expensive indie sacreds, banefire spamming augur elders, and enormous stacks of Roarii against me, who was only armed with a ragtag band of yakshas, gurus, and wolves.

I'm not the guy you're responding to, but does Thetis's Blessing do that? Allow you to recruit land mages from UW thrones? I've never tried it, but damn if there haven't been some games where I'd have really liked to get a specific mage that was part of an UW throne.

did he even bother to use normal augers? why waste such good utility mages

One last try, Wittymemename Ulm, if you see this today please get in the Steam chat. I'll be in there most of the day.

Marverni did you fight the birds?

New LA game when? Heck, new game when?

I want to play a nation that isn't as painful as EA Marverni, MA Man or LA Pythium.

nigger

Why not make a new game yourself?

Because I'm stupidly picky with maps, and I haven't finished my own yet. If someone else makes it, I can just blame them for the map.

I never said it was a good reason, just that it was a reason.

xth For ball pit

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=LAte_to_the_party

New LA game up, vanilla game, Magic site frequency 45

>equip skullcap + armor of knights +double shield + double water bottle to a void spectre
>enter into the void gate
>lost in time and space
>10 turns after that i still keep hearing of his adventures destroying void beings
go get them champ!

make it 48 hours and i am in.

So I need an extension on the upcoming tuns in my games. Grad School suddenly decided to pile on a ton of requirements. 36 hrs should be enough. Sorry about this.

I deeply regret joining this many games, holy shit

36 be fine until 1st year is over?

what nation are you playing?

Mictlan, Berytos, Pan, Ulm.

This Global makes any unit capable to walk UW. I have never tried to use it for recruiting some throne-mage UW, though. But as far as I know, you can recruit them even in UW normally, but they'll die the same turn smashed by the weights of water above.
So, this Global must have to help.

Actually you can't even recruit non-waterbreathing units underwater. One suggested fix was to give each throne with recruitables an UW version - as you would only see either the land or sea version depending on where the throne spawned.

But of course UW can't have nice things so instead they get nothing.

Almost as bad as getting The Shattered Throne UW.

Extension, if it hasn't already hosted.

Definitely didn't forget to send the turn before going somewhere.

it's already been extended to 8:38pm EST, is that' enough time for you?

Uh, what's that in gmt? Probably thanks.

I was intending to extend to 48 relatively soon anyway, so not much of an issue.

On another note, if anyone wants to sub into a likely doomed Abysia or Marverni, feel free to ask. Both have more provinces than Arco at any rate. Otherwise they will be left to stale - setting them AI is often worse imo. If I notice those two are the only ones remaining to put turns in though, I will be autohosting.

At least I gave you a two turn heads up!

Abysia has cancerdom memestyle, so it'd just be a "join to meme". Marverni still has some life, and if you negotiate with people, you can become relevent.

The nation with national magic weapons vs the nerfed ghosts that have to rely on ghosts. Who'd have thunk it?

Yesterday R'lyeh made a post about this game and I went ahead and totaled up all the losses from the battles in just this one province so I thought I'd share a little story for those of you that are interested.

First to set the stage, this is the turn as it was when shit hit the fan. For context, the game is 5 victory points to win and Agartha already has 4. Regardless, I was fairly confident in my position because I believed that Agartha did not possess any significant far-strike capabilities and so if he did make a move for his 5th capitol I could see his army and prepare to intercept.

Clearly I was wrong about his capabilities. I forgot all about the very existence of The Flying Ship until Agartha dropped an army on the poorly-defended fort under Ragha's control. Somehow I missed having a scout in that province so unfortunately I didn't have exact intel on the army composition but based on Agartha's recently lightning fast capture of Marignon I was sure he would be able to siege and storm the castle in one turn. That means just one turn to prepare a counter attack or we'd instantly lose the game.

R'lyeh and I immediately convened to hash out a panicked all-in strategy to try to push Agartha off the fort. I even pulled my preachers back to keep from domkilling Ragha, who I had just managed to get down to 1 candle left. Even if our efforts were futile then just maybe the defender inside the castle would have a chance.

This was R'lyeh's contribution. Everything he could muster and teleported into battle. The golems did a remarkable job of holding the line against Agartha's undead, slowly and painfully carving through the coldres 30 units with Frost Brands. Neither side had much in the way of evocations from what limited mage corps the could bring to the battle so once the big battlefield globals went off it was just a slow meatgrinder in the middle.

Our first look at the enemy. Smaller than the scouting report, though we knew we were dealing with the limited capacity of the Flying Ship. Agartha does have a few more mages hidden among the Giant Eagles in the back but again this was mostly a battle of the chaff.

An interesting note, both sides brought a Staff of the Storms to the battle.

The results of the first battle. Agartha's retreat was cut off by 4 squadrons of my imps and the battle ultimately ground out till the turn limit so R'lyeh lost everything that wasn't amphibious. It was a very close call, too. Only a few more Eagles and one more Enchantress were left on Agartha's side of the battle with the golems closing in on them before they all started falling apart.

I've compiled a list of the resources lost by all three nations from all the battles in this province this turn and it is rather shocking.

R'lyeh:
587 Astral Pearls
309 Nature Gems
238 Air Gems
148 Water Gems
109 Earth Gems
20 Fire Gems
5 Death Gems
1045 Gold

Agartha:
387 Death Gems
171 Air Gems
153 Water Gems
130 Earth Gems
95 Nature Gems
51 Fire Gems
47 Astral Gems
30 Blood Slaves
3427 Gold
2 Cap recruitment turns
1 Prophet
Aseftik's Armor
Krupp's Bracers
Sceptre of Dark Regency
Twin Spear
The Flailing Hands
Bell of Cleansing
Tome of Gaia

Abysia:
59 Blood Slaves
52 Fire Gems
3 Death Gems
570 Gold
2 Cap recruitment turns

My first contribution to the war effort, though by now the almost shameful lack of necessity is clear. Knowing that Agartha would be casting Army of Gold and that I would be attacking with Fire Elementals and Fire Storm in the normal movement phase I wanted to take every opportunity to drain his gem supply hoping that he wouldn't have fire resistance.

So I teleported in an undefended mage and left him to die.

Not yet knowing the full extent of R'lyeh sacrifice I was expecting him to be torn apart but all that was left was one Enchantress. I wish I had scripted my Warlock a bit now but ultimately he just got torn apart by the Bottle of Living Water elemental.

She actually picked up a lot of goodies from the battlefield in addition to the bottle. Might be a fearsome warrior in her own right if she weren't afflicted with Dementia and Blindness from R'lyeh's Solar Brilliance.

R'lyeh's second foray into the breach! As the very last ditch of last ditches he collected his store of Bottles of Living Water and threw them on what commanders he could muster in the immediate vicinity of Man. Their goal was to toss just a little bit more damage at whatever was left after the first strike, though you've seen already just how little that was.

A little bit more than expected, however. A second Enchantress just flew in and boy are her legs tired. She's carrying with her a pair of Winged Shoes,a Thistle Mace, and the Tome of Gaia. She died just as quickly as her more beleaguered of course and R'lyeh suffered no losses in this battle.

And then I finally show up. I was quite distressed by the lack of options I had with which to assault Agartha's forces at Man. The vast majority of my demons were more than a day's flight away and I had a lot of otherwise useful mages either too far away or in transit and not sitting in a lab. Still, I mustered what I could, figuring I'd be the final nail in the coffin and keep Agartha from winning for at least one turn longer.

The plan here was Fire Storm and a lot of Fire Elementals. Naturally not the best possible decision versus Army of Gold but it was either that or Earthquake. I figured that earthquake would not only have a hard time getting through Fog Warriors but it would also harm my own army. I wanted my blockers up as long as possible to get as much damage over time as I could.

Geryton and a Vampire Lord were up front to cast Wither Bones, though as it turns out they didn't actually have any undead to target.

You've seen R'lyeh's army here, just imagine them facing to the left this time.

This was a bit disappointing but rather representative of my previous attempts to use Fire Elementals this game. I can spam out a ton at a heavy cost to fire gems and then the enemy dies before they make any real impact. The Imps cut through R'lyeh and he routed just before the elementals could make contact.

He managed to escape with about half his Bottles of Living water; it was hard to keep track of which specific commander retreated and which died.

So, Agartha's plan to sneak in a win was foiled and I've got a long, difficult war ahead of me. Luckily I suffered significantly fewer losses than the other two players in this game and I've got very deep blood access. The game is far from over, but I went from panic to confidence pretty quickly.

-fin.

Marverni ya got a second?

i have no seconds for you, malakal-chan

Cealum, would you like to talk peace terms?

Let's not be hasty with the peace terms. I'm sending you a message with new intel.

Sure, give me a couple of minutes and I'll be in the chat.

Thanks for the effortposts! You got the general course of events right, I believe, though I'm not sure about the gems calculations (all the Shard Wights were summoned by a D9 Tomb Oracle, for instance). And my prophet is this guy who's awesome and definitely not dead.

>12 awe on a scout
neato
Put him against PD and see if anyone can hit him

I am seeking several individuals for discussion. Ulm, Pangaea, and Vanheim (otherwise known as the Real Memeheim . . . I think).

>all the Shard Wights were summoned by a D9 Tomb Oracle
Ah, yeah, I generally just went with the lowest caster level for the summoning spells. There were a lot of things I kind just guessed on so that ended up as the top end, really. I also ignored any forging bonuses which would probably shave some gems off both lists. D9 casting Hall of the Dead would save something like 75-100 Death gems so that's a pretty big difference.

And yeah for some reason I thought I saw H4 on your tomb oracle but clearly not.

Well, turns out he'd only accept me giving him his shit back, which is a rather optimistic stance given how the war is going so far.

Still, new intel is good.

I really had no idea why you thought that was going to go any differently. I guess you weren't in DwD.
Another player could literally be about to win the game, and he keep fighting you until you had at minimum returned all his provinces.

Nope, I wasn't, the only times I've fought him before has been him ignoring someone winning to attack me, attacking his W9 Pan to stop him blocking me in and now.

Ulm is too busy raping Marverni to kill bats.

Marverni is fucking staling, it really shouldn't take that much effort to kill him.

And you are geographically disoriented if you think Vanheim is adjacent to bats. If Vanheim is adjacent to bats . . . . .

Well then.

how's you day so far

I went to a funeral

I'll be on steam chat tonight, hit me up then.

Did you find any good items afterwards?

An endless bag of wine

I am available now. Though I don't really know why you want to talk to me, you're nowhere near me.

Fuck it, Item Units PBEM
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FireAndSteel
10 slots available, 13 nations to choose from.
Man
Ulm
Marignon
Mictlan
Jotunheim
Caelum
T'ien Chi
Ermor
Machaka
Abysia
R'lyeh
Ashdod
Oceania

What does item units do?

Basically you run Prod 3, build your item units only (nothing else is worth it, period) use your mages to buff your item units, then laugh.

Currently it adds 4 recruitable units to the MA nations he listed above. Each of these units has a specific forgeable item (e.g. frost brand).

It's a bit silly using it in the current unfinished state, since the item units aren't meant to be available so early or so easily. Right now you can spam many of the units from every fort, starting from turn 1.

Ya know, I probably would be so much more okay with the mod if the itemunits were tied to construction levels.

As is it's an utter piece of shit. But if they were added at 3/5/7/9 (depending on units, etc) I could see it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the modder's plans are but I'm waiting for him to reach 1.0 before trying to use it for a game.

I'd think 1 3 5 7 would be better.

You don't have to join :^)

Hello all you Great People! I need to get a hold of C'tis from Memegeddon, and I have already sent a request for a chat with Conan the Memarian. When you are next able to talk, I would love to speak with you about some things, namely Trade. I do apologize for not being on earlier when you were available today Conan, but I'm a busy Bat, and sometimes things don't always fall right into place.

Play your turns

1 would have to be for some of the weakest ones. I said 3/5/7/9 in order to make construction 9 actually a useful research pathing.

I'd research the fuck out of Construction 9 for Units with Firebrands at the price offered. Might not take priority over Alt 9, but probably better than any other (besides Blood when relevant ofc)

ded thred

Is that in the order you listed them? i.e. NoBully Mictlan and PoL Ulm? I'm in both those games as Patala and Arco respectively. I'm dying in both, as you probably well know. I'm also in a situation like yours irl where with finals/research papers coming up I cannot focus on Dominions at this moment. In both games, take what you can from me. That goes for anyone else in those games who border me.

I'm getting burned out of Dominions anyway. I'll probably be fresh and ready to play again once All Tomorrow's gets running (if it gets running). Alternatively, probably in the summer.

Fire brands are construction 4

Hay birds, what's all this then?

Fire Brands are priced at 10 gems, and are an exceptionally good item.

Unit mod effectively prices firebrands at 35 gold. If you sell Fire Brands at that price, you're insane. I'd also like to do business with you more often.

The only unit that uses fire brands are the cap only Anakites in the mod

. . . . . . which are still priced at 35 gold per fire brand. Which is still bonkers.

I understand item mod takes Zheyadans as the bottom line of power, but come on.

They're not costed at 35 g though?

150-115=35

Difference in price between an Ahiman and a Gehenna. No change in resource pricing either so don't try to explain it with that.

Sry, there's a resource difference of 4. So 35 gold and 4 Resources.

There you go, 150 gold and 95 resources for a fire brand.

>Unit mod effectively prices firebrands at 35 gold
They're fixed to a specific unit and set of gear. A fire brand is far more valuable on a SC or thug than just on a unit, because you have more scripting options and because you can give it other gear.

A constructed fire brand can also often be reused if the wielder gets afflicted or dies in a fight you won, which is not the case with these troops.

I guess the giant with great stats wielding it pops out of the fucking ether? You selling those for free now?
The chassis is very clearly priced at 115 gold. Maybe there's some minute changes there, but not enough to warrant too much, and they all made the Gehenna chassis EVEN BETTER!

So which do you want, 35 gold fire brands, or 0 gold giants? Both are absolutely fucking bonkers.