Can't find a straight answer to this

Did the Pagan Europeans use psilocybe? If so, to what extent?

Other urls found in this thread:

christian-raetsch.de/Artikel/Artikel/Urbock-oder-echtes-Bier.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Adolf, the enemy Frank's have archers that shoot arrows and spears that stab and hurt
>Oh shit Herman what do we do?
>Take these magical Tyr shrooms
Now that long pointy things don't hurt as much and Adolf goes on to kill an upwards of 6 million enemy warriors

Doesn't grow naturally in Europe so no. They had Amanita Muscara way up north but if I remember right it was really only the Sami that used them, and those aren't a psychedelic in the traditional sense.

But now Adolf is retarded and possibly his liver/kidneys are failing.

All early civilizations had rituals based around some kind of psychadelic.

Does it really matter if iy was shrooms in particular? Even if it wasn't officially part of their religion I find it hard to believe the people on the continent never took notice of them. Humans have always enjoyed tripping balls, user.

>All early civilizations had rituals based around some kind of psychadelic.

Source? Genuinely curious. I've heard of this in India and Mesoamerica but nowhere else, especially Europe.

That and retarded people don't fight effectively.

>yes they do. OP pic is Psilocybe semilanceata. It is native to pretty much all of Europe north of the alps, even up to iceland and scandinavia.
They are highly potent.

The first specimen studied specimen were given to Albert Hofman by an old farmer in the early 50s. He obviously knew about the effects. Maybe he found out about it on long summers up in the mountains. Maybe he learned in from earlier generations.

It is not unlikely, that celtic and german tribes knew of this mushrooms and used it for it's mind altering effects.

We will likely never know, since all the traditional knowledge of these cultures has been erased pretty effectively.

In the meantime, have a 9000 year old cave painting from Algeria

The germanic tribes were putting a whole lot of different funny herbs into their beer.
eg the beer "Pilsener" derived it's name from originally being brewed with the nightshade Henbane, or "Bilsen-kraut".

old school, prechristian beer could give you an full blown nightshade trip...

For the church all of this looked naturally like devilswork. What else could it be?
So they put a stop to these shenanigans, by passing a law that forbids to brew with with any other plant but hops and malt.

>all modern beer is crap, just because they don't use the right herbs...

>psilocybe
>causing organ failure

nightshade is deliriant, not psychedelic. and they banned random herbs for beer because half of those things were fucking poison.

Source?

Who's to know? They had no written records.

But they probably did: everything that is edible will be eaten if you are hungry enough, so at various times people will have tried them since they pop up everywhere in autumn, especially around livestock grazing areas.

And a light trip would most definately not make you a worse warrior. I disagree with that guy who proposed that vikings ate red-flie-mushrooms before battles, it's much more likely to me that they ate psilobes: colours are more vivid, you have greater body control (at least on a light trip) and you see things in slightly slow-motion, which would be beneficial in a fight.

Now I haven't fought while influenced by them, but the energetic and light feeling from a small trip could definately be a boon in a fight I think.

TL:DR of course they ate them

Also, hard trips could definately have been shaman territory or for coming-of-age initiation rituals.

this

have you taken mushrooms? unless they knew the effects well enough to take a very small dose, it would be completely absurd for them to run into battle tripping. they would be horrified, distracted, probably run off, probably forget why they are fighting, probably stop to smell the roses...

I've tried amanita, psilocybe and datura lol

pretty sure muscaria might of been used in 'bezerker' rages or some shit

make a deer eat the flyaraguc and suck the piss out it's cock and enter a horrible dxm +dph esque (((((NAUSEA))))))))) 'trip'

Yes I have, if you eat a handful you get a good trip, but it depends on everyone of course, weight, experience, potency of the shrooms, etc.

> Probably stop to smell the roses

You have never taken psychedelics have you?

If you were to eat, say, 10 or 15 psilobes you would still be quite lucid. Sure, your thought patterns would change a bit, colours would change a bit, you would be able to percieve every grass straw moving in the wind from a distance (own experience during a light trip)

Stronger trips and you will have slight hallucinations, colours and shapes will melt together into new shapes and you will be able to see, for instance, a picture of two people kissing while looking at tree bark, stuff like that. Your brain really gets imaginative.

But a small trip renders you very lucid, actually you feel more lucid than when sober, you see sharper, things stand more out, you percieve sounds better, you can read facial cues and body expressions and feel every single muscle in your body working as you move around.

It's pretty great, I have taken MDMA (ecstacy) several times and had really good trips, but shroom trips give me the same energy and euphoria + you get those hallucionary feelings and you don't get depressed for days afterwards because it doesn't mess with your seratonin like MDMA does.

As for knowing the effects: how many times did you have to drink alcohol to know its effects?
How many times did you drink alkohol before you knew what amount made you tipsy and what amount made you wasted?
Such experience comes swiftly, and in a pagan society, I would imagine that the druids/shamans would be the ones administering the shrooms and they would be master trippers.

are you stupid my man? you start off by disagreeing with me and then end up agreeing with me along with a useless block of text that looks like an excerpt from erowid. yeah I've taken psychs, dumbass, if you honestly think a shroom trip is a good or effective way to run into a medieval battle then you might have some mental issues to work through

Errr, I'm trying to bring some personal experience to the table to explain my theory, pardon me for explaining in depth instead of just writing two lines.

If you actually had less ADHD and read my text you would notice that I am differing between heavy and light trips - and you could most definately fight a battle on a light trip, and you could probably fight better than when sober due to the effects I laid out in such excruciating detail, like the hightened senses and slowing down of time perception.

And you hear about heavy trippers that do crazy shit in the news once in a while, cutting out people's hearts and whatnot while having enormous strength and being hard to bring down by police officers.
That's berzerker-tier fighting.

On a personal note: I most often trip lightly because I like to stay in control, if You are the type to most often trip hard you will have naturally a radically different opinion on what a person is capable of or not when they are influenced by shrooms.

No isn't this meme based on a swede who was studying shamans (isn't the word shaman siberian?) In siberia and their practices? He then speculated that the frenzies and wildness they exhibited might explain the fabled berserker?

Yup, but he didn't speculate about psylobis, he believed it was the red-fly mushroom, you know, the kind that will kill you or make you very sick.

If you ingest a certain amount you will have a kind of psychedelic trip, in between bouts of stomach cramps and feeling sick. Also, something about purifying it by feeding it someone or some animal and drinking their piss or something like that.

Yes. See: Berserkers

>So they put a stop to these shenanigans, by passing a law that forbids to brew with with any other plant but hops and malt
Then they distilled hard liquors with every plant in the forest throw in and sold them as elixirs.

The shamans of siberia, the shamans eat it. Collect their pass and filter and drink it or share of it. As far as I know there is no archeological or even folk myths that advocate for ethnogens among northern europeans. Cannabis is at least found among bodies and tombs and shit

It's funny because i heard more political reasons for it. The king wanted tax money and the brewers didn't want competition so you had to be licensed thus both sides won

>For the church all of this looked naturally like devilswork. What else could it be?
Natural Drugs that they didn't know existed yet?

Once they found out about how it worked, it lost supernatural threat because it was revealed to only be natural.

Granted, then they could ban it on NATURAL threat like causing you to bleed out every oriface or turning you into a vegetable. Or sudden organ failure.

Nightshades are among the few things that can give you realistic hallucinations
Realistic like in: you think you are at home, chatting with an old friend who just visited you, while in reality you are standing in the middle of the forest talking to a tree.

Christian Rätsch researched a lot about mind altering plants and their uses in central europe.
I guess you will find some of his work in english too. He also wrote about traditional recipes for beer and honey wine (mead).

Encyclopedia of psychoactive plants contains a lot of species that were and still are used around the globe.

Sure, making money was an important
Also a lot of monasteries took on brewing beer.

Why should they not know about everyone getting high from their home brewed beer? And why should they deem it to be natural? They literally saw the work of the devil in almost everything they did not approve of.
The church made sure that "heretic practices" like these disappeared.

>Nightshades are among the few things that can give you realistic hallucinations
yeah, i know. and psychedelics don't. they can also make your heart stop, another thing that differes them from psychedelics.

>Doesn't grow naturally in Europe so no. They had Amanita Muscara
it does

> and those aren't a psychedelic in the traditional sense.
they are

Is this some sort of lame joke that doesn't translate well or just dude psychedelics lmao Terrance McKenna bullshit?
>germanic tribes
>brewing a pale bottom-fermented beer
Also
>Plzeň, also called Pilsen in English and German, is a city in western Bohemia in the Czech Republic.

he's talking about fly agarics which aren't psychedelics but rather hypnotics and dissociatives that work mainly through GABA-receptors. psilocybe semilanceata and some panaeolus do indeed grow in europe and are true, traditional psychedelics.

>they can also make your heart stop
That's why making beer out of it is a good method for consumption.
You have uniform potency for your whole batch and can test your way up and know how much would be a lethal dose.

It is certainly not the most pleasant thing to get high from, but the germanic tribes certainly did it anyway.

>Plzeň is a city in western Bohemia in the Czech Republic.
both the city and the beer derive their name from the Henabane (Bilsen) that was cultured there and added to the brew.

Tribal germanic "beer" was often based on honey instead of malt and henbane was just one of many possible ingredients.

I don't have any english sources, but maybe google translate will help you.
christian-raetsch.de/Artikel/Artikel/Urbock-oder-echtes-Bier.html

That guy is doing sound research based on historical sources. No McKenna tier fairy tales.

well, they never banned it for the religious reasons in the first place. it happened over eight hundred years after germany had been christianisized and church had nothing to do with it. actually the ones who put the ban were the merchant guilds themselves because people were using pretty weird shit for their ales to cover the bad smell and taste. locals knew where, what and how much you could drink but travellers didn't. and no city wants a reputation of people dying in some ditch after vomiting their guts out while visiting there. it's actually the oldest consumer protection act that is still valid.

Has never taken mushrooms.jpg

Plz don't do this if you don't know wtf you're talking about

>hops
>early medieval Europe
They put gruit in their beer, familia

>all modern beer is crap
Come over to Michigan and we'll show you a good beer.

Whitecaps definitely do grow in Europe though, and they contain alot of psilocybe.

>Come over to Michigan and we'll show you a good beer.

All beer is alcohol and hops
The effects of alcohol are inherently boring and hops just makes you relaxed, then sleepy.

There are some that taste pretty nice but that's about it.

For anything more interesting you basically have to brew it yourself.

it's likely that they did put shrooms or something to drink in their beer, but they didn't use them in battle.

Grows wild where I live m8

Absolute bullshit. It is named after the Czech town of Pils (its German name -- the beer style was developed by Germans, who made up the majority of the town, and were certainly its merchants and craftsmen -- today it is Plzen, as the Czech commies kicked out all the Germans after WW2)

They did put funky stuff in beer now and then, but that has nothing to do with Pilsner beer. Pilsner became famous because at the time, only in the 1800s, and long after the Reinheitsgebot (a Bavarian law not in effect in Bohemia!) it was a clear (translucent) lager beer. At the time all beer was dark or cloudy, and had to be specifically filtered to be made translucent like this, so to have a lager beer pouring clear out of the keg was quite special. As most beers are filtered, this seems less amazing to us nowadays.

I actually don't like Pils much...