Could you do it, my children? Could you charge Omaha beach?

Could you do it, my children? Could you charge Omaha beach?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostlegionen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You mean to ask if I could be huddled onto a small boat and jettisoned towards a beach?

yeah probably.

could you get shot at and not lose your spaghetti?

>156 000 Strength
>10 000 killed

yeah i'll take my chances. god is there anything more overhyped than this bullshit

charging into machinegun fire can never be over hyped, my son

Much spaghetti would be spilt for the first 8 minutes, then much sprinting towards the mainland with a full and wet diaper for the rest of the battle.

Why would I charge it?
I would be mowing the shitbag Yanks down

ein reich ein volk ein fuhrer my son

But then ud get owned by flamethrowers..

>See krauts shooting at me
>look down
>shuffle my feet
>"y-you too"

This. My God. I will grit my teeth and run into machinegun fire any day. Giving a public speech and having to live with the consequences is much more terrifying.

Most LCVPs and LCAs were sandbarred 25-100 yards from the beach, all of the soldiers with the heavy equipment (BARs w/Ammo, Mortar crew, and lastly the Flamethrowers) were in the back of the boat with the NCO. They almost didn't get to use the flame throwers on the bunkers because the riflemen already pushed past the bunkers once they got out of the water and onto the beach.

>Veeky Forums tries to make a joke

you guys have no comedic bone stop

No.
Because I'm a Canuck and we don't suffer till Caen.

still better humor than /a/ and /co/...

156 000 is the number landed. Most of those didn't land under fire.

They considered Dieppe and let us off easy.

This. In the moment you don't really have time to think about it, you just react. The lifelong PTSD comes later.

Seems really chill compared to WW1 trench charges.

You think those guys didn't lose their spaghetti?

it's easy to not lose your spaghetti in a buner behind the greatest MG ever built

I'm surprised only 5-10 thousand died in the landing phase. Pair that with the fact that Germans had equal casualties goes to show how shit static defenses are per cost.

What I find more haunting is how many of the 165,000 soldiers that landed saw little to not combat. For some, the battle was a simple morning jog and shooting Germans in the back. For others, it was dying instantly and becoming a hero.

worth it desu

Dieppe was a mission made to fail. Wehrmacht had mortars sighted by distance on the beach because they had advance intel. Why the fuck else would they send Canadians. We were the front line for the British Empire for a hundred years before that my child

they were all heroes my son. If you can charge MG42 fire and not lose your shit your name goes down in history (or at least it should)

the beaches were guarded by fort divisions
meaning low on manpower (many slavs, volunteering or conscripts), low on heavy weaponry

apart from omaha, where a full german infanterie division was stationed, practicing shore defense tactics

Slavs? on the western front? C'mon man hahaha

I would be under a shit ton of substances and I would have a blast. [ literally]

that's the style my son. not that there were many substances available in 1944

Juno beach, glory for all eternity

yes there were a few osttruppen in the west
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostlegionen

What joke?

>What I find more haunting is how many of the 165,000 soldiers that landed saw little to not combat.

That's really the case in almost any war, though.

Nazis so bad the nazis would have put them before a war crimes tribunal

holy shit when will people let go of this "charging" the pillboxes at omaha meme.

the real landing was not saving private ryan. geographically speaking, the beach was A LOT longer than depicted in the movie. pic related, notice how you can just barely make out the tops of the bluffs from the back of the higgins boat?

this is not to say it wasn't brutal or bloody as far as infantry engagements go. but the reality is that most of the combat did not take the form of anyone "charging" the german defenses. the entire landing took hours, for the better half of an entire day, and most of that time would have been spent slowly crawling with your head in the dirt, until you could just barely manage to secure a position to start firing back from.

Some whiskey & morphine plus my lack of will to live is all I would need.

MG42
making allies piss themselves since '42

take an objective, get a rum ration. the Canadian way

>'how much is an Axis soldiers life worth?'
About 25 Allied soldiers lives.

If I was fighting with my ancestors for the Independent State of Croatia with Germans in Normandy, I'd gladly die after mowing down 10-20 Americans.
>no bully pls

how was marshall Tito not your hero

If I was fighting with my ancestors for Canada with Allies in Normandy, I'd gladly die after taking fire or jumping on a steilhandgranate for any of my boys who had wives and children back home. PRO VALORE

Shit then I'll just get off the boat, find a nice nook in the beach and pretend to keel over. At battles end I get a meal. Repeat for every battle.