/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Asexual Horse Edition

The last one >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf The rapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

so can I start an adventure mode without retiring my current fortress?

well, you could set that world aside and start another one
but you can't run adventure mode and fort mode at the same time, if that's what you're asking

You could copy your world folder, retire your fort in one and do your adventure, and in the other you keep doing your fort. That's about as close as you'll get. You can't have two games in the same world at the same time.

any reasons as to why my adventurer save keeps crashing when i try to save it?

Are you using the newest version? Are you using the new features?

first for microcline being misunderstood

yes and no

i just try to save my progress because shit nigga i did a lot of stuff don't want to lose and and then it crashes

Microcline is cute! CUTE!!

It's probably just Toady's fault then. He's getting bugs this time around and he just added a bunch of stuff so there's a lot of them.

First for fuck it here's a tileset.

huh there must be a rework for thickness vs tearing/blunt/penetration values in the works eventually, either that or I still underestimate the power behind a well-oiled 42,500 avg coyote bod

>this time around
As opposed to which time?

as opposed to the last few releases where he was focused on adding features.

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you meant that the introduction of new bugs was unusual.

I set my world generation history to short
when is it supposed to end?
I'm at year 80 and I'm not sure when it should stop

What's a fun time to be an adventurer as well?

I think it stops at 125 or so.
I usually go to 250. 125 (or so) will probably be fine too

literally the easiest beast i've seen

There are arguments both ways.

Early history, like year 10~20 means all the big monsters are running around, but nobody knows shit, and no interesting history has taken place.

Late history means the big baddies are usually gone by like year 250~500, but there is a lot of history to explore and take part in.

Old worlds, out towards or beyond 1000 are fun if there are still an interesting population of beasts and such.

Wouldn't an old world take literally forever to load up?

>So the plan was to upgrade my compiler and then do another bug fix release before doing 64 bit stuff, so different new problems could be kept separate. That's still the plan... it just stretched out a bit since the compiler installation crashed and destroyed my system. Things are partially back together now, with the new compiler in place. I've been playing around with its static code analysis tool, which located some interesting typos which have probably screwed up the medical bedrest and ghost behavior among other things.

deadly spittle aint no joke but yeah crossbow time.

i just threw an arrow at it

didn't even shoot

oh, adventurer right.

yeah that'll do the trick.

man that looks like one of mine

it all looks the same when everything is fire.

So I remember in some of the older versions there was this dfhack tweak that made your soldiers actually decide to spar most of the time when training but I noticed it isn't a part of dfhack anymore. Is it an external script I have to put in now or does it just simply not exist anymore because I've been looking everywhere for it.

Think it was fixed by Toady.

If by literally you mean figuratively, no. If by literally you mean actually literally, also no.

Do any of you actually play this straight up vanilla without any tools or mods? I'm asking because I refuse to touch the new version without Dwarf Therapist to go with it. I find it impossible to believe that anyone plays this without mods of some kind.

Are there any saner ways to micromanage my dwarves without plowing through a fucking maze of terrible UI? Dwarf the rapist is obviously one way, but surely there's a way to make it easier without relying on literal memory hacks?

You're probably thinking of the dfhack tweak that prevented soldiers from getting the patrol duty negative thought improperly. What you're referring to wasn't a thing.

you don't really need more than ~35 dwarves if you skip out on luxury industries and taverns/inns/libraries, just set the cap lower
the only real issue is hauling not getting done quickly, which is easily countered by using mine-carts and wheelbarrows

I almost never use the rapist or manipulator unless I have a major labor reassignment. v p l really isn't that hard.

I upgraded without thinking and now I really miss the rapist. I can manage without it, but checking skills and labors can just get so tedious.

>bring copper nuggets instead of picks to change it up
>surface level limonite and tetrahedite

so this is my first time playing adventure mode
I started off at some camp in the forest with one person
I picked demigod so this is a trash character I can run through.

Honestly I'm having difficulty getting the grasp of the UI, but from what I can tell there's literally this one person here and I'm their lieutenant... but what the hell am I supposed to do? Find the nearest hamlet? Leave this person here?

>that moment when you almost fall down the stairs while drinking coffee

Shittiest labor go:

Architecture

Sup /dfg/

Out of genuine curious interest, has there been any BIG controversies at all?

Like, in relation to DF or any of Toady's games. Any that broke news? Any that caused a split amongst fans? I'm not talking about certain Mods getting their own subforums, and devs getting salty.

I'm talking about stuff that pissed people off (more than usual).

Any thing? Or is Toady just that much of a chill guy?

only thing I can think of is the sexuality for animals thing

Animal caretaker

wat

I don't recall people being really pissed off tho. More like 'I never asked for this' among some groups of autists

Small animal dissection

I heard the workorder update dropped. Does it work? It's a godsend for someone like me who gripes about micromanagement.

oh god

honorable (You)

I just started playing 43.03 tonight but at a glance it appears to be the same level of quality as Workflow. Which is great since that means one less thing to be dependent on a DFHack update after a new release.

Adventure mode needs no tools really, and I maintain my own mod so it's literally just copying over and checking if any raws need to be fixed.

>it's a caverns being 4 Z-levels below the surface level

Best embark

I mean that dwarves should be able to make stacks themselves - add 5 unites of flour into bags, mix 5 separate plump helmets into 5 helmet stack etc.

Sounds like your water broke.

I agree. Lye in fort mode already works like this, but it might be a bug.

>micromanage
You don't, just add labors to them if you need job done faster. Quality will be hurt, but if you actually manage to rememebr the most important dwarves, it shouldn't be that bad.

Somebody set up an unfortunate accident.
Did you piss off a dwarf recently?

Other than The Rapist, everything else is like a bonus point. And dwarf therapist usually gets new memory layouts within 24-72 hours of a new release.

I'm in 's group if anything, getting unbreedable animals at embark can piss off anybody.
I raged when some girl(?) started a thread about genderfluid dwarves or some SJW shit.

>genderfluid dwarves

>misusing "literally"
really_fucking_triggered.jpg

>not learning to play vanilla before modding
You are a new kind of faggot. My current knowledge of insults fails me. German might have a few though.

Here goes the start of my "newbie" fortress Should be fun to try not to powergame.

I think something is wrong with my game.
>7 years in
>Population >100
>No goblins to be seen
>100% of failed strange moods have resulted in melancholy
>100% of failed demands for nobles have resulted in them simply forgetting.

This is too easy and I hate it.

>your carpenter and mason from the starting7 immediately start hooking up

it was that communal dormitory

>check my civilization
>pump operator is the a king.

4chim

>So the plan was to upgrade my compiler and then do another bug fix release before doing 64 bit stuff, so different new problems could be kept separate. That's still the plan... it just stretched out a bit since the compiler installation crashed and destroyed my system. Things are partially back together now, with the new compiler in place. I've been playing around with its static code analysis tool, which located some interesting typos which have probably screwed up the medical bedrest and ghost behavior among other things.

The revolution is nigh.

Not newbie enough

I cant wait for the bar fights with the visiting elves.

dwarves don't really have gender roles. that kind of thing makes more sense for elves or goblins.

Progress continues.

I had 20 dwarves and in one wave of migrants I received 25.

I have my limits. That is painful.

Luckily I assumed there would be some kind of unpleasant wave (but not that much) so I began work on proper dorms, albeit not up to my usual strict brutalistic utilitarian designs. So at least everyone has a bed and most of em have furniture.

I had an interesting idea and went with it. The central ring next to the staircase shaft is a temple. So dwarves walk through a temple to get to their beds. In the center is an artifact cabinet which will help all around.

Step it up Cog.

So, anyone has any FUN stories with dragons in the new version they could share with the class?

Any good active DF youtube series going on? Preferrably 43.03.

I know Veeky Forums and anything to do with gaming on youtube is haram.

>bridges
>newbie
Nigga

>too new to know you need bridges
>new enough to think you actually need bridges
>no longer new enough to rely on bridges

its a process

>Newbie's
>Using hatches on stairs
I bet it doesn't even lead directly to the caverns.

>not having wild rutherers wandering about and a forgotten beast SOMEWHERE on the map but you can't find it oh god

bump
I watch DasTactic on occasion but he's not doing a 43.xx run yet and I mostly watch him for his hilarious ineptitude. He has a way of understanding the game and he's made a really decent tutorial series but he also fucks up horribly at an alarming rate. So his videos are usually amusing if nothing else.

You think that's something you want, but then half your industries shut down as your dwarves scramble to recombine bolt stacks everytime one of your militia goes to archery practice, and dwarves start shuffling around carrying your booze trying to combine pots raspberry wine. And then the economy comes back and they start splitting coin stacks to buy their drinks...
Praise the Toady One that dwarves don't give a fuck about stacking.

Any good DT optimizing scripts/plans for a tardling who's too lazy to set it up himself?

wut

It should combine at least when it's being processed, like cave wheat when I want to mill it.

Is there any better personality for an adventurer?

Also, I've never seen the "see great beast" need before. I wonder if it means I have to constantly seek out megabeasts, or if any large enough animal will do.

What was he carrying?

Why the fuck did I start out in the dungeon?

>ah, bandits to beat up
>oh, a big squad of elf bandits
>...and a bunch of human and elf weapon lord bandits
>the fuck

Coin purse and a mask.

One where your only needs are easily filled is better.

See great beast is satisfied by praying and seeing dorfs for some reason.

I just prayed. Didn't fulfill my need to see great beast. Maybe it got fixed in one of the 0.43 releases?

I any case, it's nice to see you be wrong for once.

You partied so hard you landed in jail, now you have to break out.
>wishful thinking

So, shields no longer work

Well, it's been a while since I did that one because the wander/see animal needs are annoying as fuck. Talking to someone should fill it though, unless it was fixed.

Also, that squad of weapon lord bandits: mace lord, axe lords, elite bowmen, spearmasters, swordmasters... they're so disappointing it hurts.

It does seem a bit like a TES starting level.

Uh, I'm sure they do still, wooden shields worked back then but wood shit would still burn.

Oh, kind of a letdown then, was hoping that dragons would be ultimate funbringers.
And speaking of which, how big of an impact are new pain rulings?

Okay, when I went to the surface, it turned out that the only buildings in the town, save for the keep, was a tavern, a warehouse and a temple.

Important adventurers always start out in mead halls and keeps, no? And peasant adventurers always start out in residential buildings, on't they? Since there isn't a single one of the latter in this town, and since I started out as a peasant, I guess the game just put me in the dungeon for a lack of better buildings.

They're still pretty damn bad since you'll have to worry if your soldiers will be caught by melting statues and shit.

The pain does seem a bit better now, I gotta mangle a limb or crush ribs to knock someone out.

Also, I tried to follow those weapon lord bandit failures back to their home.

They seem to have disappeared into this building, which my sense creature icons show is PACKED.

So I go up to the door expecting bandits to start charging me.

well, he DOES control the means of production

Now it made me think.
Are dwarves soviets now? All they work only for bedroom and food and the only dwarves that get better stuff are high-ranking officials, who generally are pricks.