/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iroXKdSqSPo
youtube.com/watch?v=zVarhKPjEBg
ngemu.com/threads/psx-shaders-with-launchbox.183505/
gbatemp.net/members/nocash123.369349/
gbatemp.net/threads/no-gba-v2-8d-released-26-may-2016.428207/#post-6386505
u.pomf.is/mfmmcr.webm
u.pomf.is/pzclvw.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=dvxFAqiKeCA
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Computer_specs#More_Cores
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>have 2 month old build of RA
>decide to update to stable since I update so infrequently anyway
>shaders are borked
>update to latest nightly
>shaders work

>shaders worked before and after the stable, but not for the stable
wtf even

What's he trying to do, /emugen/?

Sex without consent.

Uh oh.

Didn't know Tony Hawk had a Silent Hill stage.

Sometimes Stable means stable. Sometimes Stable means We Don't Know Anything About Development Cycles OR End-Users But Want to Fit In.

If it ain't glitching to hell and back it's a soulless unfun skateboard game. Skateboard games exist solely for the enjoyment of glitches.

youtube.com/watch?v=iroXKdSqSPo

Thats a very SP thing to do

bump

What's your favourite gb/gbc/gba game guys?

Picross

nerd

Laughing at you

GB: Donkey Kong '94 easily

GBC: Shantea I guess. Can't really think of much else.

GBA: Rhythm Heaven. POWDER and WarioWare are honorable mentions.

>Can't really think of much else
MGS

Never played it

I did like MSX games though, so maybe I should try it.

It's a really nice stealth game.
One of the top gbc titles.

Must be a lot easier in 2D. Is it just like playing 3D but staring at the soliton radar the whole time?

been trying to play dynasty warriors 5 empires in something over native resolution and there strange lines show up (vertically in the middle)

im gonna try fixing it with some hw hacks but maybe someone in here had this issue before and can help me

youtube.com/watch?v=zVarhKPjEBg

jesus. everyone is blind and deaf

That's just TAS magic

Also, there is normally a radar

bump

Ayyy

Use sprite align hacks and only multiple of internal resolution, no customs

What's my best bet to play Saturn games on Win8?

Buying a real Saturn

Some guy is allegedly coding a OpenGL4 pluging for psx emulators.
This looks similar to PCSX2 texture bugs for example in Shadowman 2.

ngemu.com/threads/psx-shaders-with-launchbox.183505/

@shinra358 :
I think that the profile system in ePSXe is meant to associate different plugins with different games (which is indeed a really nice feature). Not different settings for the same plugin (each plugin has its own way of saving settings, after all).

@ZeldaFan86 :
I'm currently developing my own GPU plugin from scratch (C++, threads, OpenGL 4, DirectX 11, WARP) with a profile system and with game/profile associations. It allows the user to create/edit/import/export multiple configurations.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have much time to develop the plugin (I'm busy working on my thesis), and there's still a lot of work to do. So it won't be complete for at least 6 months (and will certainly require beta-testing when it's done).

That's just speedrun magic.
But it's certainly a game to try out.

Also remember that it's a MGS game, so don't act surprised when the game starts with a 15 minute dialogue.

What palette does higan use for NES?

Can you stop with this palette bullshit faggot. You asked about this shit in the previous thread too and I think even 2 threads back as well.

Yeah, NES palettes are getting stale. Let's find something fresh to nitpick.

>retroarch is unprofessional trash at its only purpose

>more recaps of old news at 11

Go to sleep little shitposter

We could do 4:3 vs 8:7 again.

So Nocash is apparently from Afghanistan, that could explain why he only has some ancient, shit PC with DOS.

gbatemp.net/members/nocash123.369349/

gbatemp.net/threads/no-gba-v2-8d-released-26-may-2016.428207/#post-6386505

Is nitroroms offline?

Which is better to emulate on android, PS2 or Dreamcast?

The game I'm wanting to emulate is Unreal Tournament,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, if that helps.

If I had money, I would have already.
Oh well.

SSF

>want to play Gran Turismo but computer is a toaster
>try GT4 on PCSX2
>lags like a bitch, but that was expected
>decide to go a generation lower
>try GT2 on Mednafen RA core
>still can't get 100% consistently
>audio is crackling all the goddamn time even when it is at 100%
Are you fucking kidding me
I don't know if the PS1 emulation scene is suffering from the same shit as the N64 scene but a 2.4Ghz i5 SHOULD be able to emulate a console from 2 decades ago smoothly even with that, right?

>2.4GHz i5
Wow you got ripped off bro. Did you know that the Pentium 4 was clocked at 4.0GHz?

I find it hard to believe that a 2.4 Ghz i5 won't run pretty much every game on mednafen at full speed, my 11 year old q9300 handled it perfeclty

I have a laptop with a similar CPU and I can run mednafen in RA at 1x and it works fine. I can't do 2x with most games though.

>suffering from the same shit as the n64 scene
oh woe is me, both an highly accurate emulator and one with an extremely high level of enhancement, both of which run fullspeed on average computers, as well as real progress being made on a daily basis.

how horrible, it's like they don't even cater to your specifically bad computer

>I don't know if the PS1 emulation scene is suffering from the same shit as the N64 scene but a 2.4Ghz i5 SHOULD be able to emulate a console from 2 decades ago smoothly even with that, right?
In terms of performance, it's worse than N64 emulators sadly.

my bad, thought you said PS1. PCSX2 is pretty garbage, it's a miracle that it works.

>gb
SML2 or Link's Awakening the only ones I'd ever play again today
>gbc
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel by a mile. Also fuck the garish Link's Awakening DX colors, I'd seriously prefer running the original in greyscale or a boot-preset palette if given the choice.
>gba
Lots of good shit including the best FFV version, Pokemon FR or Emerald romhacks with physical-special split, the entire Mega Man Zero series, the actually-localized Medabots remake, multiple good F-Zero games (including the fucking last games in the entire series), two good Metroids, just lots of great shit overall. If you're looking for something you might not have heard of, Lady Sia is a bit of a hidden gem.

Can't wait to bust out my 8:7 CRT for some TRULY AUTHENTIC retro games I never owned!

>Lady Sia
I had that game, never finished it as a child but it was good fun

He's German.

You do realize that Afghanistan is usually at the top of the list for country selection menus, right?

>Martin Korth
>apparently from Afghanistan
top kek

How can a man with that much assembly knowledge live in poverty? Is he autistic or something?

Both are wrong. Real console would output the active area in between those two display aspect ratios because it always maintained 8:7 PIXEL aspect ratio, as opposed to 1:1 pixel aspect ratio that results in square pixels and either 8:7 or 16:15 display aspect ratio depending on whether 224 or 240 lines are drawn.

So the correct display aspect ratio for 256x240 SNES is 256 (8/7) / 240 = 1.219047619:1 or slightly wider than 6:5.

>problemkaputt.de/
>.de

Idiot.

Games with more than 1 resolution. Been a while since we did that one

u.pomf.is/mfmmcr.webm

Next tranny to off themselves. Trannies are ticking time bombs. He is LITERALLY explaining to himself why he's still worth keeping alive.

>Is he autistic or something?
Most likely.

Who is that?

u.pomf.is/pzclvw.mp4

Shit, is knowing tons of assembly a ticket to money now? How come no one told me?

bump

lookin' good

How hard is a HW renderer?

What OpenGL version doe sit use?

I'd imagine it's not all that hard to implement for the PS1. IIRC the only thing Simias was having trouble with was with mask bit emulation. And he's currently using OpenGL 3.x IIRC. Could be with time they can maybe get it down to 2.x just like Pete's plugin. Right now a lot of things are not properly implemented or at all, so some games will have heavy errors, while others look just peachy already, such as .

>Could be with time they can maybe get it down to 2.x just like Pete's plugin.

Shouldn't bother.

JOHN

Why does muh HD fuck everything up?

What's the point of using OGL if it's not portable?

youtube.com/watch?v=dvxFAqiKeCA

Emulation news.

Covers PGXP.

you can still read everything. just deal with it.

So now that cemu is main stream. Does anyone know if it runs better on a dual core or quad core?

That was refreshing. Now I don't feel so bad about myself. :D

Literally who

If I can run Persona 3 fes on pcsx2 without any issues but lag up a storm on the dragonquest VIII world map, what's the chance I can run FFXII properly with my rig?

>Does anyone know if it runs better on a dual core or quad core?
How uneducated about computers in general are you?

I majored in cs and ee. So Im fairly knowledgeable.

Evidently, you slept through it all. 99% of the time, cores don't matter in emulation.

>Emulation is taught in computer schools

It seems that you are the uneducated one.
Software doesn't utilize all cores that are available. Only as much as it was designed to.
Having a quad-core won't make software run magically better if it was only optimized for dual-core and nothing more.

FFXII is one of the easiest games to run on PCSX2

Any good school would have taught you enough that you would have been able to deduce that the number of cores doesn't matter in most situations.

you'll have to do native res but otherwise you should be fine

>cores dont matter in emulation
do you know what you just said?
Ill rephrase my question because I dont think he was able to understand it.
Is cemu able to take advantage of quadcores. I know the wii u is tri core and it probably emulates that. But I cant find it anywhere.

Why is Play! so slow? This seems to be a bigger issue than compatibility.

>Any good school would have taught you enough that you would have been able to deduce that the number of cores doesn't matter in most situations.
Please stop. You are sounding far too uneducated. Do you know what a thread is? Most software is multithreaded now. This isnt your intro level cli program.
Its just a matter of how many threads it uses.

>do you know what you just said?
Are you going to try to argue and tell me that Dolphin uses more than two cores?

Can anyone comment on the reliability of PGXP?

I've read that it now tries to use the old GTE accuracy hack as a fall back if it doesn't work, before having a final fallback of the original vertex positions.

I can deal with minor vertex seams, and it being jittery as a fallback, but it seemed to be having some major issues causing stuff like falling through world geometry and shit (according to the forum thread).

Is it stable enough to use for most games?

Is it worth trying to use, or should I just hold off for a while until the kinks get worked out?

If you say cores dont matter than Im sure you think dolphin runs well on a single core.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Computer_specs#More_Cores

>Emulators generally only utilize 2 cores (sometimes 3 or 4 with hacks), so having a hexa/octacore CPU, or one capable of hyperthreading, wont benefit you anymore than having a similar quadcore CPU.
Newer system emulators like RPCS3 can utilize more cores though, by emulating the system's thread scheduler it uses as many cores as a game makes threads.

If you're the end all source of knowledge, maybe you should update the wiki that nobody reads :^)

That's a stupid question.

Quad cores unquestionably will run faster even if that's simply because they offload some OS processes.

That said, Cemu could very possibly make use of more than two threads. It's unlikely, but since it's closed source there's no way to know unless you ask the devs or run some benchmarks.

Thank you for proving my point.

> causing stuff like falling through world geometry and shit

You mean breaking the actual game engine and messing up things like collision detection? Because that's highly unlikely, the vast majority of PSX games don't rely on the GPU output in their engine.

Hey, my entry level cli programs are multithreaded.

What console was relatively the most powerful one when it was released?
FM Towns Marty?

PS3 was pretty impressive on paper. Unfortunately it was a bitch to tap into that potential from what I've heard.