/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

If this is your first game, you have to post progress.

>WAIFU JAM IN PROGRESS!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=to3y3cmWWRY
strawpoll.me/10313225
youtube.com/watch?v=oQjX1h8VuWA
youtube.com/watch?v=72TJ-aWAA9k
opengameart.org/content/painterly-spell-icons-part-1
youtube.com/watch?v=5dbG4wqN0rQ
youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for video game development
true devs only

Memes are the driving force of the gaming community.

How are you ensuring your game will get memes made about it?

by including zany characters, of course

tfw no rap industry game

Thank you for your regular free donations to the thread, friend. Without your autism who knows where we would be.

fantastic, did you make it or find it?

i found it when reading an article on mister cee, which was a 90's pioneer DJ in the hiphop industry.
i saw this in the article

worked all day today, I want to keep going but my brain has just completely shut down on me. What are some relaxing things I can do to improve my game guys?

twitch streams sometimes relax me

Jesus Christ saving data for health and an early prototype currency over multiple scenes was hard as hell.

Now I have to figure out how to save the game and load it, and then carry the inventory over multiple scenes.

Nice, I'd play it.

youtube.com/watch?v=to3y3cmWWRY
Relax and take a break. Come back refreshed.

What's better, Unreal or Unity?

>saves
this is why I'm never making an open world game

thanks for keeping my ego in check

So make it?

Unreal is a better tool but has less support.

Both are good.

ASMR

When making something like Visual Novels or adventure games, what's the best way to tackle branching storylines? I've attempted to write up a VN script once, but I felt like I was really bogged down by how many branching paths I have to keep track of. Would it be better to just do one straight, undeviating storyline first and then try to weave other ones into and out of it?

strawpoll.me/10313225
reposting from end of last thread, just curious

Nice taste user, I think you're right. I'll practice drawing and listen to music.

depth-first, not breadth-first

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, I don't have a good answer. I'd try drawing out the tree and noting important things that rely on certain nodes or nodes that are relied on elsewhere. If there are big chunks that are kind of self-contained in that respect, I'd make a second graph with those areas boxed as a single area. I think better on paper anyhow so that's how I would approach it

Guys, I'm making a 3d hack n slash game in unity. How should I handle combat?

I've been thinking of just having the weapons have trigger colliders that remove HP from the target when they hit something in the "hittable" layer. Is this too simplistic/primitive?

If all black lines are 4cm, how do i calculate the red line length?

Pythagorean theorem nigga.

Babbys first trig

pythagorean theorem is like 8th grade man

4^2 + 8^2 = red^2

Fuck you, i couldn't go to school where i live

red^2 = 4^2 + 8^2 - 4*8*cos(pi/2)
my bad

Why would you use pi ? It's not a circle and it has a right angle so just c^2=a^2+b^2

Whoa, didn't know /domg/ crossposted

law of cosines but actually it's 2*4*8*cos(pi/2) and that term evaluates to 0 because it's a 90degree angle, ie pi/2

>How to use the Custom Material node and create Metaballs
>no metaballs were made in the process
I feel cheated.

What's the deal with OGRE?

its good enough for an indie dev that doesnt want to make some photorealistic game. if all you want is basic graphics then it will do that for you. its also very easy to use if you stick to an older version.

Got the checkpoint statues working! Indoor scenes have the isometric static camera, and outdoor scenes have the isometric follow camera, so I want to make a metriodvaina inspired over world in a way, and spread these checkpoint statues throughout it.

You get the currency by killing monsters, and you spend it on saving at a statue. When you die you get sent back to the last statue you saved to, and the statues prices to save depend on how close they are to the boss.

When you close the game, and reopen you have the option to start at the last save statue you saved at as well.

It's ogre-rated.

I have a spellbook now. It should theoretically let you switch between schools of magic, but I only have fire right now, so there's only 1 tab.

Things left to do:
- Store targeting type enum with spell description (single enemy, singly ally, no target, etc.)
- Allow targeting after choosing spell
- Allow characters to learn spells
- Only show learn spells in the spellbook
- Add AOE fire spell
- Add electricity bolt spell
- Add non-projectile spell (maybe Cure)

Sorry to bump this guys, anyone have any input? I don't wanna spend all day making this work if it's gonna be buggy/shitty.

You're also bokube dev right? I like the style of your games tbqh senpai

It's been cool watching this grow over the past few weeks.

>straight on view of big's eyes
>both in same position
INACCURATE looks like someone just put a crown on Reginald VelJohnson

Working on sprite transitions between states, I think I am going to work on a landing and a more proper transition between dashing and falling.

>doing a pathfinding algorithm on a grid of unreal UI widgets thats actually just a 1D array
SOMETIMES THE HOLE YOUVE GUD YOURSELF IN IS SO DEEP ITS BETTER TO JUST KEEP GOING

DID I REALLY SPELL DUG BACKWARDS

>berniedrone listens to "ooga booga kill da whitey"
pottery

looks great, keep it up.

follow this devs lead, POST PROGRESS, NOT MEMES.

Yes I am! Thanks familia. I will be release an updated version of bokube and (hopefully as I keep posting progress) and a Dream Knights demo for demo day 9.

Thank you lol

Finally did that thing where if you're looking somewhere and grab the broom the broom snaps to your view rather than the other way around, after some user asked for it like three months ago. A bit difficult to tell in the video.

Still need to figure out wand decorations for
>Levitate
No idea.
>Glow
Maybe just a glowing sphere.
>Broom summon
I'm really not sure what to do for this.
>Unseal
Maybe a key of some sort?
>Conjure flare
Just a little flare thing I guess. I'm not sure I even want to keep the spell around, but I might as well make it look properish before it gets cut.

>kill whitey
nah i just listen to pleb shit like biggie... yknow super nintendo sega genesis
you're into some deep cuts
youtube.com/watch?v=oQjX1h8VuWA

user
pls

I've been gone for a few months, but agdg feels nicer for some reason. Keep it up. Also, did that dev who was working on that 3D wizard battle game with all the hexagonal shapes in the background ever get anywhere?

Why do you keep the name on anyway?
it's literally a mark of shame at this stage, all it says is "I'm 36 and have accomplished nothing".

youtube.com/watch?v=72TJ-aWAA9k

So I'm getting close to the point where I want to advertise/sell my game, but I cannot into salesmanship; what do?

I remember you, keep going

Random visitor here. Holy shit what is this? Are you making a first person Quidditch game?

So I've done a lot but this is what I've managed to do today

>Take basic sentences with subject, verb and optional object
>In this example the string is; X fucks Y. X slaps Y. Y cries.
Now it can;
>Connect sentences by adding commas and sentence connecters
>Detect verbs and tag to add adverbs (Todo; make them fit)
>Recognize unique adverb tags
>Avoid using the same word too often

A lot more but this is the main highlight

x = √( 8^2 + 4^2 )
x = √(64 + 16)
x = √80
x = 4*√5
x = 8.944

dont mean to undermine your progress but the snapping is a bit disorienting

Well the temporary lazy way would be to use PlayerPrefs until you implement a proper solution.

show me your dev music

First person broom-flying / magic-casting / evil-defeating / cat-saving.

Third person too eventually hopefully.

Having it be a basically instant orientation change might be, yeah. Then again, snapping it into looking forwards was pretty bad too.

The alternative is just not allowing broom-grabbing unless you're sort of facing forwards, but that felt pretty awkward to use.

opengameart.org/content/painterly-spell-icons-part-1

youtube.com/watch?v=5dbG4wqN0rQ

Is it OK to use asset store for an inventory system if I study the scripts and learn how it works?

youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw

if it's free

inventories aren't very complicated

You're late, Lumo is already out.

LearnHow2Array

It was how I started.

There is no prepackaged perfect inventory system, you need to design it to fit exactly your needs

We are back guise. Did you make a bunch of progress?

Trying and failing to make a nice looking gif under 5mb because lmao twitter doesn't like webm

I was devving while I was gone but then I got mad and deleted my game so now I'm back at square one.

Finally back!
I actually did. Alas finished cleaning this. Almost finished, I need to make a texture for the grass and get a decent color scheme for it.
Still would need a lot of cleaning to be exactly what I had in mind, but I'm running out of time for waifu jam.

Is your game good enough?
Unless after the humans go extinct and millions of years later aliens discover this planet and get hooked on your excavated game, then no, your game is shit.

I am having trouble making my colliders work :( but today has been full of progress anyway

>found a bug in my code
>fix it
>game doesn't work anymore

Has anyone here had experience with selling game models or textures through gumroad? Is it worth bothering with or should I prioritize other sites?

How do you guys keep your ideas tame? Every time I try making a game, I get too carried away with ideas that I know I can't possibly achieve.

What do you think of this?

Why can't you achieve them? Just do it bitch!

Do you only like complex games?

Getting carried away at the ideas stage is fine. Then you boil it down to stuff that's absolutely necessary, and then sprinkle in stuff that's neat but actually feasible.

ok

what do i do now

I take my idea and butcher it until it's doable and unfun.

lol

For general software (haven't finished a game yet) I write up a minimum viable product and work on those features first. Anything else is added in v2 unless testing shows that it's necessary

The camera angle is similar to Lumo, but the game has a focus on combat and exploration with an open world, dungeons, NPC's, and shortcuts, within that world and RPG elements. Probably less overall puzzles than lumo as well since the before mentioned stuff going in the game needs more of a focus to have them be good.

How do you make a good horror game?

I think I have found the main component/theme that makes a game creepy, it's similarity, repetition. Here is what I mean by this.

You take something the player is already familiar with or you get the player to get familiar with your game environment first, then you just slightly change something.
Example: let the player go through the same hallway 10 times so he feels familiar with it and at the 11 time something unexpected happens. Games that are literally like this concept: silent Hill pt, spookys house of jumpscares.
What surprises us is us sudden change in something very familiar, so familiar that we don't even consciously think about said thing because we just take for granted this is how it behaves.

The simplest horror game you could make: Give someone one button to press, and a chance of 1 out of 1000 presses something bad will happen. It doesn't even matter if the player of this game knows or doesn't know that there is a chance of something bad happening in a 1000 presses. If he doesn't know he is going to get a big jumpscare. If he knows he might be on the edge of his seat awaiting said thing to happen.

Maybe this is already common knowledge, but I was just thinking about this.

Is there nothing else that makes a game scary

Here's my secret
_____________________________________________I don't

fix your screen layout jesus christ

There are uncountable ways to make things scary and numerous psychological things you can take advantage of. Your best bet is to consume some horror media and study what is happening.

Nice stephen king quote
“The 3 types of terror: The Gross-out: the sight of a severed head tumbling down a flight of stairs, it's when the lights go out and something green and slimy splatters against your arm. The Horror: the unnatural, spiders the size of bears, the dead waking up and walking around, it's when the lights go out and something with claws grabs you by the arm. And the last and worse one: Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute. It's when the lights go out and you feel something behind you, you hear it, you feel its breath against your ear, but when you turn around, there's nothing there...”

>multiple scenes
Good lord this game is gonna be crap.
user just create isolated parts of the world in the same scene, move the camera and character instantly relative to the position of the door.
Skips these pointless hard-drive bound loading times and you can have a grander concept like "worlds" that would allow you to have more easy control over different behavior.
>save
Saves aren't hard. All you have to do is diff (relevant) entities with an old state/original state and save it. When you load your save you take the base save and merge with your scene.

Ezpz if you're an engie
>inventory system
What's your goal?

That is my favorite layout while I work in unity.

fucking disgusting