/parag/ - Paragon General

Beta Weekend Edition

epicgames.com/paragon/

>What is Paragon?
Paragon is a new MOBA developed by Epic Games, owner of the Unreal Engine. Powered by UE4, it has most of the trappings of other MOBAs: 5v5 objective-based games, heroes, lanes, towers, minons and so on. The game has a fantasy sci-fi feel to it. The game is available on PC and PS4, featuring cross-play and cross-progression. It is currently in early access/closed alpha.

>What's special about Paragon?
Similar to SMITE, Paragon uses a third-person behind-the-back camera and WASD controls instead of a top-down view. Unlike SMITE, this game takes full advantage of the Z-axis: you can aim up or down and there's multiple levels of elevation. In addition, Paragon uses a card system, which is, for all intents and purposes, a player-customized item shop for individual characters that you build before the game; cards can only be earned with in-game currency, meaning you can't buy power.

>Do you unlock heroes?
No. Like DOTA 2, all heroes are free to everyone. What you can purchase with in-game currency is a character's Master Challenge, which essentially lets you unlock extra skins, taunts and boosters.

>How can I play the game?
There is a free beta weekend going on all this weekend (May 26-30) you can join right now, assuming you signed up before May 25th. Beyond that, you can purchase a founder's pack for at least $20 to buy into the early access. You can win founder's pack keys off whatever contests are run on Twitch. Otherwise, wait until this summer for the game to fully enter open beta.

Other urls found in this thread:

epicgames.com/paragon/blog/addressing-afkers-and-leavers
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/new-hero-reveal-riktor
youtube.com/watch?v=YfjVs1k1vGA
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/inside-card-system
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/inside-card-pack-reward-changes
epicgames.com/paragon/forums/showthread.php?925-Picturized-OT2-Feedback#post_0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

is this game f2p upon release?

Yes, the game will be free to play when it goes open beta. Right now, you have to buy in with a fonuder's pack to play the closed alpha.

holy fuck perma ban for leaving a game 3 times at any given time?

I've not heard anything like that, but they're starting to crack down on AFKers and leavers. With the latest patch, you can even rate your fellow players in the match, giving them accolades or demerits based on their performance.

epicgames.com/paragon/blog/addressing-afkers-and-leavers

Oh yeah. Those punishments are if you're being very consistent with your leaving and Epic catches you.

yeah i just read the comments.

welp gotta wait for the summer. Need new ASSFAGGOTS.

New hero coming: Riktor, aka "not Pudge"
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/new-hero-reveal-riktor
youtube.com/watch?v=YfjVs1k1vGA

RIP Rampage this last patch

when will this game have *dont make my screen a blurry piece of shit* option?

So, when are we gonna have a gitgud guide?

There have been multiple beta periods so far, somebody has to have a decent grasp on the game.

hey
catalog dota brought me here
is it smite but good?

The general MOBA basics apply (ward your shit, don't go out by yourself if you don't know where the enemy is, call MIA, etc), but there are a few Paragon-specific things. Things that immediately come to mind:
>Claim your harvesters first chance you get. At least two people should have some variant of harvester key so they can construct harvesters quickly.
>Make sure to check your harvesters every few minutes. You're getting card points for your entire time, so don't neglect them.
>If you get a chance, take out the enemy harvesters. Hitting them lets you steal all the CXP they've accrued, and destroying them as well will both set back the enemy team and piss them off.
>Don't engage in travel mode (basically HotS's mounts) if you can help it. If you get caught out in travel mode, you get rooted. You should only really be using travel mode to change lanes.
>Don't ignore a large minion wave. They WILL destroy your towers if left unattended.

Short answer: yes. It feels more dynamic than SMITE, since you have full 3D action. It's a work in progress, but Epic is getting their shit together. The aesthetic is nice, and UE4 makes the game one of the nicest looking MOBAs ever.

Also,
>When constructing your deck(s), make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck and can complete a full build correctly. In game, you can earn a maximum of 60 card points and can only equip six cards at a time. That means that your final build (complete with upgrades) should average out to 10 points per card. Check your math before you go into a match with your new deck.

I'm having a surprising amount of fun with it. I really hope the game takes off, I think it deserves to.

Background: in Paragon, there's one big jungle boss, the Prime Helix Guardian (or something similar). There are two steps to claiming the team-wide OP buff. First, you kill the guardian and pick up the orb he drops (hitting B to recall lets you drop the orb). Second, you must personally run the orb to a drop-off point on the opposite side of the map on the enemy's half of the map (between their T1 and T2 towers). Only when the orb arrives at this drop-off point does the team-wide superbuff.

That said,
>An easy way to put pressure on the enemy team is to kill the prime guardian, then while half the team runs the orb to the drop-off point, the other half should split-push a lane. This will force the enemy to split their forces to protect their towers while also trying to stop your team from claiming the buff.

is there a jungler guys? 1st time looking through the heroes and cant tell without understanding jungle as a whole, so far reminds me about league system with blue\red buffs

Supports, fighters and assassins are usually the ones who deal with the jungle. Here are the heroes immediately best suited for the jungle:
>Kallari (assassin)
>Feng Mao (fighter)
>Grux (fighter)
>Rampage (tank)
>Sevarog (tank)
Muriel and Dekker (the two caster supports) can also work in the jungle if they have to.

As the "jungler," you have four overarching jobs (not counting "ward your shit"):
>Help push lanes
>Gank enemies
>Clear jungle camps
>Maintain harvesters

Prime guardian aside, there are four kinds of jungle camp:
>White camps (smallest camp, good for quick XP/CP)
>Red camp (red buff provides attack power)
>Blue camp (blue buff provides mana regen and cooldown reduction)
>Black buff (basically a sub-boss, black buff provides increased siege damage against structures)

Here's a close-up of the map so you can see all the various camps. The green boxes that I added are harvester construction points. The four points on each team's side inside the jungle itself are active at 3'. The two harvesters on the far left and right are active at 6'. The one in the middle in the prime guardian arena is active a couple minutes later.

thanks for the info.
My biggest gripe so far is the minimap actually.
no proper fog of war so you cant actually tell which areas your team see
and did i miss the button so you can enlarge the minimap?

Line of sight is only provided by your players, your minions, and your wards. Harvesters used to provide vision, but with this last patch a couple days ago, they don't anymore. You can see which harvesters are taking damage, though, since the tower icon is also the harvester's health. As for the minimap, I'm not sure if there's a way to let you fully customize your UI yet.

Alright this looks like it could be pretty fun. It would have to try really hard to be worse than SMITE, at the very least.

I haven't played SMITE in at least a year. What's it been up to?

I don't follow the changes for the most part (I only play with friends, and only arena and the other casual modes), but the one that turned it from fairly enjoyable with friends to pretty shit is their active items change (which is also the biggest change, although they reworked some items but that's pretty standard).

It used to be pretty neat, but now it's a slightly better version of LoL's summoners: they're all free (and cooldowns are a lot longer), but you unlock your first slot at level 1 and the second slot at level 12. They also removed some of the more original actives (like Achilles's Spear). Now almost everyone picks either the cc immunity or the invulnerability (can't attack but can still move), and it makes the game so damn boring and passive.

Well, Paragon doesn't have summoner spells or anything like that. Instead, there's the card system: you earn cards from card packs, and using your collection, you design decks for your characters, basically building your own customized item shop for that character. Each character has their own affinities - white (Order), green (Growth), blue (Intelligence), red (Fury), black (Corruption) - and that influences what cards are available to which characters. You select items you want to equip, as well as the upgrades you want to slot into those items. You can only add upgrades that match the stats provided by that card; if you add a card that grants health and attack power (like Adamant Edge here), then you can only slot health upgrades or attack power upgrades. In most cases, a fully-upgraded card provides bonus stats.

Who are you playing as?

How do the cards work?

Be honest, is it like hearthstone where a free player gets fucked or is piss easy to get them all.

Too many humans

gib other things

plant when

also how quickly does it take to get into the beta?

Every character gets one or two free decks, which gives them a very functional, albeit very straightforward build. There are rarities to cards, but that doesn't mean the rarer cards are better cards; they are simply more specific in their usage. As for getting cards, I will say it's a lot easier to get them now than it was over a month ago, but it'll still take some time to build your collection. Keep in mind that all methods to acquiring cards - apart from level milestones - can only be purchased with Reputation, the in-game currency; you cannot under any circumstances buy cards with Coins, the cash currency.

This article from a month ago goes over the overall vision for the card system.
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/inside-card-system
This other article goes over the various ways to get cards now, apart from the basic card pack (5 random cards for 10k reputation).
epicgames.com/paragon/blog/inside-card-pack-reward-changes

Plants maybe. We got robots and cyborgs, if you like those. We got a rhino dude, and we got a goblin riding a squig throwing molotovs.

We also got this thing. He shoots missiles and mines from his mech suit.

>also how quickly does it take to get into the beta?
If you buy a founder's pack, you can play right now, no questions asked. If you're talking about the free weekend, you can get in if you signed up for beta before the 25th. Otherwise, you can wait for free open beta this summer.

Doesn't sound very promising. I'll pass for now.

For what it's worth, I don't think players get fucked over with the basic cards and decks. They're still very good and give you a capable full build. You can steadily grow your collection over time and keep going back to tweak any decks you put together. I also don't think there are any "god cards" of the sort.

I only just signed up.

yeah they don't look too bad

although that thing looks like a furry, so I'm not playing it

looks like a knockoff predator

I prefer this

this being said, I appreciate the overall style of the game, looks good

I WANT SHILLS TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW

yeah okay, this is alright

Alright I've bumbed the general enough, can I get a founder pack please

We know this a dev posting and keeping this thread alive.

Drop some founders packs please.

Does this game have items that give you additional active abilities? Ignoring the summoner spells like LoL, i'm talking about actual items you buy that also have an active effect.

Yes, there are active cards with different effects, whether it's placing wards, teleporting to towers, or other assorted effects. One relatively popular active I've seen is Shockwave, an Intelligence card with mana regen you can pop for a free AOE knockup.

Is there a limit on how many of these actives you can have? Like smite has 2 relics and then there are no active items. But with DOTA you can 6 items that give you actives if you wanted.

sent ;)

For the record, an Intelligence card means it can only be equipped by heroes with the Intelligence affinity; at this point, those heroes are Steel, Gideon, Gadget, Howitzer, Murdock, and GRIM.exe.

If a card says it has a "Unique Passive" or "Unique Active," that means you can only have one functional instance of said active/passive in the deck. In Shockwave's case, the knockup is a unique active, meaning it can only occur once in your build. Other than that, go nuts.

>If a card says it has a "Unique Passive" or "Unique Active," that means you can only have one functional instance of said active/passive in the deck. In Shockwave's case, the knockup is a unique active, meaning it can only occur once in your build. Other than that, go nuts.

So how many different actives can I have at once? Say i'm in a battle, do I have the option to have up to 6 active effects from items?

Functionally, no. You can equip six cards at a time, but only four of those card slots allow actives, meaning you can only have four usable actives in your build. That said, health and mana potions count as actives, as do wards.

You can have two health potion cards and a mana potion card as your starting cards, since you can overlap those card effects.

So just like smite right? 4 champ abilities and then 4 actives that are health, mana, relic one. relic 2. So up to 8 total keys to press?

Sorry for these stupid questions, I just want their to be a clusterfuck of keybindings like DOTA.

Pretty much.

>I just want their to be a clusterfuck of keybindings like DOTA.

*not to be a clusterfuck

Keep in mind that the game is cross-play with PS4, so there can't be TOO many buttons to mash.

So this is just casual trash? That's a bit worrying

It's a MOBA. The depth comes from the numbers game.

Good to know.

Will try it out but founders pack is a bit much right now.

Didn't Epic say that the game would enter true open beta in summer? I wouldn't get your wallet out if that's the case

Pretty much. If you're willing to wait a couple weeks, you should be able to get into open beta.

Just played my first game. Was alright I guess. Felt really slow, but otherwise it was cool.

I wouldn't call this game casual at all. It gets pretty intense, and console players fare very well compared to PC players.

How did it feel slow? Were you using travel mode to get around?

best way to describe it would be like the transition from LoL to Dota
Cause thats what it feels like coming to Paragon from Smite

It's 5v5, but I see there are 6 classes. I'm coming here from Smite, so I'm used to Warrior solo, Mage mid, Hunter carry, Guardian support, and Assassin jungle.

Is the "meta" the same in Paragon? How do you decide which lane gets two people? In Smite the shorter lane is Solo, but it doesn't look like the lanes are different in size in Paragon. Unless I'm blind.

Is it really worth it to place harvesters? The bonus seems so inconsequential.

>console players fare very well compared to PC players.

that sounds like it IS casual though

The game's in early access, so the meta is still developing. Right now, rangers (hunters) are king. One of the big things to keep in mind is how resources are shared. Depending on how many characters are in the proximity, the XP split varies. However, one thing that doesn't change is how many card points (aka gold) you collect. CP is shared 100% across everyone present; if one person collects 600 CP from clearing a buff camp, then EVERYONE nearby gets that 600 CP. This is designed so supports don't fall behind because they aren't collecting amber or getting last hits and shit like that. This has led to the rise of the "deathball" tactic, where the entire team rolls around in a 5-man ganksquad to get kills and collect CP for everyone. CP sharing is going to be addressed very soon, so stay tuned for that one.

You have to keep in mind that when you collect from a harvester, those CP are for YOUR WHOLE TEAM. The more harvesters you collect from, the more CP you're funneling to yourself and your team. It adds up over time, trust me.

>In Smite the shorter lane is Solo, but it doesn't look like the lanes are different in size in Paragon.
The lanes are slightly different. The main thing that separates them is elevation. The prime guardian lane is taller than mid lane, which is taller than the black buff lane. You can see it's on a very slight slope. The other thing that's different is that the black buff lane is where the drop-off points are for the prime orb (which you collect from the Prime Guardian jungle boss on the opposite side of the map).

Why am I bored by this.
Play Muriel, don't get kills, just insults in chat.

Well, it helps that Muriel is arguably the best support in the game, even after she was recently toned down slightly.

Wish you could enhance her ass.

How do you resize or change the HUD type.
HUD too big.

What the fuck HUD is that?

epicgames.com/paragon/forums/showthread.php?925-Picturized-OT2-Feedback#post_0

How do I Git Gud.

I r8 this 8/8

Learn to aim, and don't get caught out.

I was wondering when someone would make that joke.

Fucking checked kiddo (the fuck is paragon though?)
t. /dsg/

>the fuck is paragon though?
Epic Games's new MOBA.

wew quintuple lad.

Epic games new human shit then.

Check'd by /gsg/

gud

UT4 is legit good though, that is undisputable.

t. Epic shill

Then what?

ahaha what the fuck is this thing