/aoe2g/ - Age of Empires 2 General

Anyone interested in making this a new general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pS4Xy3vVY6U
forgottenempires.net/aom/changelog
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

good start, /v/

going strong already

Saladin, where are you going with that great army?

STREETS

What's the most broken civ right now and why is it the Portuguese?

So what's the best civ?

for some reason I've never liked the new grey cliffs

Thinking about getting back into AoE. Is there an active competitive community?

bump

WII

We were kings and shitz

WE

Isn't there a RTS general already

WUZ

AoE2 has a large enough playerbase that should warrant its own general

So are any of you guys really good at this game? I've been trying to git gud and struggling to do well against the hard AI without resorting to cheesey tactics. Haven't even tried people because I know I will just get destroyed.

How long did it take you good players to git gud at this game. I've played many genres with their respective PvPs and I've never met a genre so difficult to master.

KANGS

Haven't played AoE in a while but sometimes the AI can be difficult. There should be plenty of beginner players on there to practice against.

One tactic I always try to use when playing an RTS is always imagine you're about to be attacked, so always try to muster up some defense/offense right away if possible, and always be productive. Don't let villagers stand idle, always have a villager creating on queue, always build something when you have the resources. Never just sit there and watch.

>without resorting to cheesey tactics
m8, it's a RTS, everything is valid, except cheats/exploits.
From my POV it's not cheesey if you save units, the real fun starts when it's an endurance battle, of who commits the first mistake and take advantage of the situation. Try each civ, play the shit outta every single one, check their strengths and weakness.
Keep your villagers working, build defenses, manage carefully your resources, one little mistake could cost you the battle.
If i remember correctly AoE2 has already videos saved of PvP matches, watch them, they're really helpful
lolhow do i into grammar

It takes a few months to get competent. You wanna choose a civ that works in all games and get good with them (Spanish, Celts, Huns) or a civ that specifically shuts down another civ at their special bonus (Turks beats Koreans, Britons beats Persians, Spanish gold production and Knights beats everyone's cavalry).

The AI on anything above Standard difficulty is a goddamn cheater. They don't require as much resource gathering, they focus villies, and they avoid ranged siege attacks with perfect micro for their units.

No. Everyone moved to SC2.

Servers on Steam are almost completely dead unless you have the DLC expansions.

thoughts on galactic battlegrounds?

Never played, though it's made by the same company, uses the same assets. It's probably not as complex, but it is balanced as fuck cause Ensemble knows how to make a rock-paper-scissors RTS.

Doesn't look dead to me. This has a larger playerbase than the only other Steam game I play which is Insurgency, which I never ever feel is dead.

Do I need steam for the HD version?

Not really, but you need Steam to play Online.
I know, that sucks.

You can play on Voobly or Gameranger, but that means no expansions.

ALRIGHT LADS!

Post favorite civs
Post favorite maps
Post favorite campaigns
Post favorite speed, slow, normal or fast.
Post ELO's

>tfw when my ELO sunked from 1900 to a 1800 due repeatly facing someone that curlstomped me multiple times in a 1vs1

having an extra form of combat (air, combined with ground and sea combat), and the addition of buildings needing power or else they run at 50% efficiency for making units/researching techs, does add another layer of complexity to the game
there's definitely way less variety though, with only 6 civs in the base game and 2 more in an expansion.

Empire Earth had that too, and even more ages

Too bad EE servers are kill

Bohemia

Aztecs, Teutons
I liked every single one, even if it was disadvantage for me
El Cid campeador and Moctezuma campaigns
Normal
I've only played against family through LAN, but that was long ago.

If there is, then link it pls

You play on Voobly or Steam?

WOAD RAIDER

I never got good at AoE, I just played with the map editor all day.

my bad, but the old general /civ4XRTS/ is ded as Barbarossa, even the /RTSG/ Steam group was erased, but this general needs more than 13 posters to be somewhat active.
In neither, i only get to play AoE on vacations in an old PC, but i'm planning to buy the HD version in a few months

POGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
POGOOOOOOOOOOOO

>but this general needs more than 13 posters to be somewhat active

Thread just started like an hour ago, never was an AoE general before. Give it time. I think next time a general is made, there should be resources in the OP like strategies, build orders, replays, etc.

Oh neat a general for AoE II, let's see how far we can go.

Thoughts on Spirit of the Law and ZeroEmpires? I need to expand my watching a bit since the latter is less active than usual

Never even seen those channels before, thanks for the heads up. Surprised to see a 60k sub count for an AoE youtuber

Franks.
Yucatan.
All AoK/AoC campaigns are good. The new wants are overscripted shit.
Normal.
ELO is about 1630 at the moment. Last time I reached 1700, but then I lost all of my matches in a row, and went down to the current level.

Spirit is pretty cool, talking about things a lot of people do not know about the game.
I don't know about the other guy.

*the new ones.

I wonder what's my problem sometimes.

>just want to play regular games vs players
>people overwhelmingly play fucking retarded zombie or other stupid shit designed scenarios that look awful

This isn't exclusive to Age of games, it's every RTS

>I don't know about the other guy.

English guy who casts both pro random map games played over Voobly and some casual 6-8 player HD games as well.

And yeah, with Spirit I tend to learn about the little details in the game I didn't know about. Like how the town bell works technically.

>never was an AoE general before.
There was an /AoEIIg/ and, but it died for not getting the enough support and i honestly don't know what happened to the /rtsg/ i knew it was slow but still getting attention.
But ill try to find the replays of the AoE The conquerors and upload them and/or make a pastebin with tips.
And another Steam group, a player list, we need more ideas.

I suppose I should check him out too. I do not know much about how pros play yet.

It's better than finally finding one only to learn that he doesn't kill the boar
>Like how the town bell works technically
How does it technically work? Doesn't it just call villagers within a certain radius of garrison-able buildings to that building?

>How does it technically work? Doesn't it just call villagers within a certain radius of garrison-able buildings to that building?

youtube.com/watch?v=pS4Xy3vVY6U

Spirit looks into how the villagers search for a building to garrison into among some other tidbits

>he doesn't kill the boar
How is that possible? Isn't that something literally every guide ever tells you to do?

Anybody here into AoM?

This general is going to die in a hundred posts or less, just give up.

I like it, but Tale of the Dragon left a bad taste in my mouth though. People say AoE II HD had it fucking bad with updates integrating whatever expansion breaking shit for a time before it's fixed? AoM EE got it even worse.

The changed lighting also makes it harder to see shit when combined with the unlocked zoom.

Played AoM and AoE 3 bunch of times, but never really got into it . They just don't "feel" right.
AoE 2 all the way.

>Tale of the Dragon
Fuck is Tale of the Dragon
Did they add nip gods or something?
AoE III had too many unit abilities.

Just make a post about it mang, it's alright
pls muh melanin enriched brethen, the general is new, give it some time

>melanin enriched brethen
>>>/aksum/

:^)

Just build fortified walls.

>Did they add nip gods or something?

They added Chink gods. On top of the Chinese civ, every other base civ gains one unit each. Greeks got a healer, Egyptians got a villager killer, Norse got a (supposedly) anti-myth archer, and Atlanteans got a catapult. There's also some balance adjustments made, Zeus' bolt is made even less useful for starters by making more shit immune to it (namely making it useless in Archaic) and it won't kill Nidhogg in one go anymore.

It looked rushed to me. The new Norse bowman (trained via Hillfort) didn't even have any fleshed out help info like with the other units, let alone any historical information.

>it won't kill Nidhogg in one go anymore
But why

Hel is a qt

Guess a Loki playing dev got butthurt. Considering Bolt kinda diminishes in usefulness later on, kudos to the Zeus player for even saving it up. His favor gathering speed was reduced a tad too.

>forgottenempires.net/aom/changelog

I don't even know shit about AoM competitively though. Was Zeus stupid popular or something? At a glance you'd think he'd be low tier because people hate infantry

They won't work, those fuckers go full saboteur for a very limited time if you take their precious Mc donald's

Irrelevant, fortified walls go up nigh instantly and Americans are nonranged extremely slow infantry.

buff when, murrican units need a heavy ranged unit

You niggerfaggots are into competitive?
This faggot speaking again

I'd like to fight one of you, and see if I get a good opponent
Tomorow night I will be ready, so who's in?

Well, I ( ) have yet to git gud.

>ELO peaked to 1700
Heh, I guess you already know the basics, so I guess you need to polish your gameplay a little

I don't mind training sessions with players, I don't mind teaching at all, plus I have a lot of free time.

Byz / Britons
I don't really care.
Jeanne d'Arc and Saladin.
Normal
I don't play Steem moolti, my ping is like 600.

Jesus christ lad, where you from?

I might take the opportunity, thank you.

Can you tell me your profile name and time zone?

Right now I'm not on my main computer, but my name is 'TheGhostmaster', with a silly googly eyes Pyro

I'm from Argentina, so if I'm not mistaken that's a GMT -3

China

Does computers exist in China?
Chinese are a good civ, by the way, fucking Chu-no-kus a pain in the ass to deal with

>do computers exist in China
Yes, we're not actually ass-backwards except for olde people which I assume are ass-backwards everywhere
AoE2 was really fucking popular here a long time ago
Chink CKN spam kills everything that doesn't outrange it
I remember legit just shooting down walls and castles with them

Very well, my white friend. I'm Kepernyos. I'm adding you on Steam.

>AoE2 was really fucking popular here a long time ago
Question, if AoE2 was popular in China, so were AoE1 and Starcraft? AoE1 is still popular in Vietnam, and SC is still a thing in South Korea

>Chink CKN spam kills everything that doesn't outrange it
I remenber the day I decided to counter massed CKN's with Frankish Paladins
I still remenber that ragequit of mine that day, how infuriating
Now I just flatten them pesky chinks my onagers and siege onagers

We type in spoilers nao

I will be eagerly awaiting for the night so I can stomp you jk

>SC (1?)
I think so.
>AoE 1
AoE 2 is basically superior to it in every way except for the giant fucking bone villagers used which was hilarious.
>countering CKNs with anything that has to get in range of it
It flattens fucking everything. Even battering rams just melt and you can literally shoot down fortified walls castles. >not using scorpions with that retarded +4 unique tech
>we type in spoilers now
No.

Ever tried combining them with the Saracen team bonus? They raze buildings really fast that way.

>giant fucking bone villagers used which was hilarious.
I can sill hear the sound of those villagers/clubmen fighting

Yieh, Yieh, heh, huh, Yieh, heh, Yieh

>not using scorpions with that retarded +4 unique tech
Their damage boost is sweet but the chinese lack of Siege Engineers, meaning they will be outranged by +1 by most of other civs siege, that really sets them back.
In the bright side, Chinese Scorpions are the only one that effectively can destroy Gothic Huskarls
Like holy shit

For that reason I like Celtic scorpions, rather than Chinese.

I'm a Saracen main, my favorite civ.

Their team bonus is the second worst team bonus, the worst team bonus is the Inca ones (faster farming building rate). And, maybe, only a Mayan can give it a kind of good use to it.

But I LOVE Saracen CAs attack bonus against Buildings (+4 to be more pressice), you can 2 shot a wood wall and get inside to raid.
Or you can snipe farms and let your enemy starve. Or just be an annoying cunt and destroy houses and mining/lumber camps-mills.
I had tons of fun with that bonus

Also Saracens is the best civ

Its an RTS you're supposed to cheese

this needs to be a permanent general

Favourite civ is the britons, favourite map arabia (lol), Attila and Dracula's campaign are the best imo

>Huns
Huns for a beginner have a tendency to make them forget that houses matter and Spain is shit early game so it's probably bad for a beginner. imo Britons are pretty good since they're fairly generic.
>cheating
Pretty sure the AI doesn't actually cheat until hardest or something, but their perfect micro pisses me off.

Arabia is overrated.
So is Black Forest.

Huns is one of the easiest civs to play, hence why everyone consider them one of the best civ to play

Black Forest is pretty boring.
Arabia is fine, but people shouldn't play it all the time.

>Huns is one of the easiest civs to play, hence why everyone consider them one of the best civ to play
Yeah but for beginners it can cripple them because it fucks up house timing and stuff.

Black Forest is basically Byzantines are Unbeatable the map.

when I was a kid all I would do is go in the map editor and place units and roleplay with myself and make stories based on them all day

Black forest is boring, yes
But sending 4 petards to destroy the enemy wall, then pouring 20 Saracen CAs and then blow up the enemy base is totally priceless, and I won't get tired of doing it everytime I get the chance to play in BF.

Or, sending 4 celtic battery rams full of angry celtic infantry, and watch how the walls goes down. Always make sure to bring 1 mangodel to kill any building villager nearby

>Arabia is fine, but people shouldn't play it all the time.
That's my problem with Arabia, EVERYONE plays it ALWAYS.
Sure, Arabia might be one of the most 'difficult' maps to play, in terms of harassing and defense.
But so are Islands, for navy warfare, and Black Forest for good booming, each map is difficult in a certain way
I also dislike people's bias for certain maps

Arabia and Nomad = Huns, Mongols, Mayans, Aztecs and Vikings are kings
Any water map = Vikings, Saracens, Byzantines, Portuguese are kings
Black Forest = Turks, Koreans, Persians, Indians are king

Just because Huns are good in Arabia doesnt mean they are the best civ overall.

That's not really a problem when someplayers play nothing but Huns, all the times.

Byzantines? Nah
Turks in Black Forest.

Anybody that played against a Turk in Black Forest will know the definition of Pain and Struggle

So I have rather noobish question: if I want to go for a fast Castle, is it a viable strategy to not make farms yet in Feudal Age?

Not making farms in Feudal Age is suicide, most of the times.
But if you're going for, say, Archers and Cavalry archers, the lack of Farms is slightly less punishing than going for Knights/Light cavalry/Infantry

Still, I don't recommend not building farms, unless you have plenty of fishing, like in Scandinavia, or Baltic.
Or when you have fucktons of hunting, like Scandinavia, Valley, Island, Black Forest and Yucatan

It's probably retarded. The only times I've gotten it to work is when I have plenty of other food sources like .

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just having trouble balancing my wood economy. The first round of farms cost a lot.

Research horse collar before building your first farms.

Obviously. But that only helps me later in the Castle Age - my concern is with immediately putting up 8-10 farms in the Feudal Age, after other sources have run out.

Horse Collar is a Feudal tech ain't it?

Yes, but its bonus only helps when I'm reseeding. I still have to pay the same amount of wood to build those farms the first time.