/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Our Lord & Savior Edition

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Another new thing
boreal.aggydaggy.com

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
Unity: unity2d.com/
Source: developer.valvesoftware.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/wj2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for waifu

second for anime

third for diea guy

If i wanted to become an amateur dev, where i should start?

If i wanted to create, say, a minecraft clone, or terraria clone, or whatever (for practice), what should i start at?

>ywn have as much atmosphere in your boss fights as the squaresoft final fantasy games

how do i deal with this feel

inb4 OMG FINAL FANTASY IS 4 PLEBS

just like make game

idea*

FUCK

good music
good art
good designs
good games

git gud
some of them anyway

Those aren't starter practice games.

Pong is.

Remember: practice

Just realized WJ has been out of the OP for a few threads.
Sorry about not noticing until now.
itch.io/jam/wj2016

My dev team is sleeping on the job again. How am I supposed to do all this work myself?

Unrelated, I finally got priests and shopkeepers to sell separate items, and they now properly roll for random inventories rather than just having all of the everything.

Why aren't they? And if so, how do i start at pong then?

It's because the OP is hates anything related to anime and changes it as soon as the thread gets close to 750 posts.

OP meme fags don't even bother realizing that something is missing and just copy and paste the old OP and change the title or "Edition" just for the sake of getting some "lulz!"

not him, but on my guesss you can probably find tutorials to make tetris or pong games on youtube

Do you know how to code?
>Yes, I do
Then start with the basic, one paddle that moves up and down when you press the up and down keys on your keyboard.
>No, I don't.
Learn.

Any of you lads streaming gamedev?

To the user who called me fat in the last thread: fuck you don't act like you don't know I know where you live, finish your game or I will walk to your house and kill you in person

Nodevs get the fuckin bat

I spent all day crafting the ultimate devving playlist.

Feels good desu

It really is amazing (in a horrible way) how much of a subculture there is in AGDG.

i guess it's hard. it takes a lot of time just to get minimal things working. you can get away with not knowing much of the math by relying on libraries, like i do.
the buffers and shaders and how to draw a basic triangle i can understand, but i often need to look at examples to remind myself of the code.

Anti-anime autists are the weirdest vocal minority on Veeky Forums.

>but i often need to look at examples to remind myself of the code.
Thats a given for a library as big as openGL, even more so if you just use it once in a project and after that only tweak little parts of your opengl code.

Just fucking share it already

>draw the rest of the fucking girl

2spooky4me

I'll post it soon, I just need to edit it some.

>anime is default, changing it is shenanigans
This notion which I have quoted, is a mistaken supposition

>This notion which I have quoted, is a mistaken supposition
This notion which I have quoted, is a mistaken supposition
Fuck off newfag.

What are some other spooky things I could add?

>tfw no game about Kevin bullying nerds

Go play those ridiculous FMV PnC's.
Shit was unsettling.

>accusing my publicly of being a newfag
I would demand an apology if I thought you had within you the moral character to offer one

>drawing the breast being pressed up even without whatever she's holding already there
Now THAT's how you visualize with forms.

My english is bad, but your reader comp seems worse. My point was the waifu-jam is game jam that's going on. Having an anime OP picture doesn't matter to me either. No OP image should really matter, it's just a fucking picture, nobody cares but you. Though removing an AGDG event is completely wrong just because of the word "waifu".

Mannequins/suits of armor/armor stands that move slightly when you leave the room and come back.

Head turns towards the door you entered from, objects nudged slightly to one side, etc.

Oh then actually we're in agreement. Leaving out the jam is wrong and it doesn't matter anime pic or not. I misread as thinking people were not using anime OPs just for lulz, like the default is anime OPs

Fully rigged death. I'm going to try and animate the 3 little skulls coming out of the big skull's mouth and see how spoopy it is.

Let's imagine for a moment that all devs and artists here agree on something for the first time, and make a collab-lke game.
What would it be about?

sourcefam/danny/reek/whatever. They have put so much time into agdg I think it's only fair.

You're a spooky guy

How the fuck do I trick an artist into working for me for free and then also becoming my gf?

Thoughts on colors?

woo her with your extensive knowledge of anime and imageboard culture

Okay but not ver interesting

flat

I plan to make textures more detailed with hand painting. just didn't know if the base colors worked well together. I'm not super good with color theory.

very generic
not bad but generic

They work incredibly well together, which is why they've been done a million times, as said

Basically this It's like I've seen that combination many times before, they're not bad colours.

I guess generic Isn't bad for a first rough draft/placeholder. Ill use it while working on the mechanics and change him up to be more interesting later

how many faces is too many faces?

I can't model for shit so i'm going for the ZUN way, add random shit till it kinda looks good.

is 1.5k too many?

normally you would just have one face

1 if normal, 2 if ogre?

It depends

But no, 1.5k isn't a lot on modern hardware.

Over 9000 hours of physics baking.

The (what appears to be) high air resistance makes it look like paper, not gibs.

It's way too saturated, and all the colors are too basic. It's like drawing green grass, blue sky, etc. That's now how color works outside of the 3rd grade.

tl;dr: try using the saturation slider

Here's my 5 second in mspaint edit that doesn't really have much to do with what I just said. I made it a lot darker overall, which is probably not what you're going for with the general artstyle/character.

How does my model look? Anyone's waifu ;););)?

Like a Runescape crack whore.

Ogre/10

tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down

Looks like RunEscape

For the record this looks mostly terrible still. The head seems passable though.

>bug that only sometimes happens

no such thing

Shut the fuck up Shinji

Uninitialized pointers can do funky shit

Spooked my guts off

>not using smart pointers

how do i improve it? what are the most glaring flaws?

coming from a person who never modeled anything
arms and legs are too fat
rest is ok

>not just being smart yourself

I'd like to see it just slump off the body into a pile on the floor.

looks like down syndrome daenerys

holy hell that looks pretty damn nice and I really like the pants you gave him. Im going to rework the colors to be a bit more like you show

Did you mean ? :L

While in combat any attack will have a green, red, or blue special effect. These effects show you what you are draining. Attacks (though not all) can drain health, Stamina, or mana.

If the attack or event drains over 50% of your mana or stamina a colored explosion happens. (example here being the dodge).

When will the stamina bar meme end?

no, I was replying to who gave me color critique on my character

>meme end

Sorry you only like games with simple overly simple combat mechanics. If I remove the stamina bar will it be casual enough for you then?

i like it and would be proud of myself if i have created that

Bars in general are lazy af

>hurr I can't imagine anything other than an int/float range of 0 to full because that's just how games are done

Alright ideas guy, come up with something better.

I don't even know where to begin. I guess the shoulders especially are just wonky as fuck. They have to definition, it looks like a play-doh man.

The legs look like furniture.

You need to do some basic study of anatomy.

Do you want someone to create a stamina mechanic using hash tables of complex numbers?

>int/float range of 0 to full

Its only that way because this is a prototype, I have not worked out balancing yet, though since you are an idea's guy you probably wouldn't know anything about that.

>Thinking I'm casual just because I hate the influence souls series had on "specific Knightdevs"

I'm not going to respond to "lol get gud" souls fanboy go to argument. But I will note that "Clarent" A game being developed here is very complex and obviously has a castlevania/souls inspiration without adding an obnoxious green stamina bar.

>What would it be about?
it would be about being a deliveryman who died, and now has to deliver furniture and packaged mail in hell to demons. Trying to get luxurious couches and shit through too-small doors and obstacle-laden front and backyards, while bitchy demon wives deride you as you struggle to get that washer-dryer combo past the fence and to the back patio doors

you use heavy attack! your stamina quaternion rotates 0.4 radians about an axis of (0.71, 0, 0.71)!

Butters/10

well consider what a bar is. It's a plot, a bar graph. There are a lot of different kinds of graphs. Violin plots, ternary plots, tons. So really the problem is that the underlying data structure is simplistic as fuck.

If it came with good display, sure. The Complex plane has some properties that could make it interesting as a health model I bet.

>all this pseudo-intellectual nonsense

This.

Very definition of an ideas guy though.

is this guy for real?