Ideas of how to make money on the side?

Ideas of how to make money on the side?
Small business, that isnt your main sort of income kind of thing

My girlfriends dad buys, breeds and sells birds, he makes decent money from it. Because its considered a hobby, he pays no tax.

What are some other examples like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/how-much-honey-per-hive/
keepingbackyardbees.com/pricing-honey/
beeweaver.com/buy_beeweaver/queens
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Because its considered a hobby, he pays no tax.

What mythical country this be?

Australia

Interesting... Anyway, I run some small stuff on the side, its easy to find work as a programmer over weekends. Generally if you're good at what you do word of mouth often works wonders. Also have a few mobile apps that bring in $1000 a month passively which supplements my income.

I want a part time hot dog cart but so far the numbers don't jive

That depends entirely on your hobby. Side businesses are only worth it if you actually enjoy it. I love cars and have a side business reselling car parts and flipping cars, but I don't do it full time because that'd kill the fun of it

same applies in the United States. You generally will not owe tax money made in profit on a "hobby"

What kind of mobile app? Is it actual OC or something like flashlight app?

america
anything less than 10k net earnings, no tax.

hahahaha no man, you are wrong.

In the United States you pay tax on ALL income, from whatever sources derived.

Check the tax code.

I am a CPA.

Good luck trying to prosecute it

OK man, tax fraud is tax fraud.

Tax Optimization

They call this cash. Nobody knows how much cash you have in your pocket and what you spend it on so you don't have to pay taxes over it. It's also illegal but nobody gives a fuck when it's a low ammount of money.

I'm 22. I go to school and I own a shaved ice/Ice cream/ Fruteria business.

Nothing like having your own business. You can slave away for $50/hr but with my business, thats how much one customer spends in 5 minutes.

Currently, I am conflicted on whether I wanna keep doing this for the rest of my life with no degree backup which is why Im going to school right now.

you should continue with school and take business courses. Having real experience with your business will help you with your business courses, and you will learn a lot in your business courses that will help you in your business.

I'm pretty sure the government will give you like $250 if you keep bees on your property.
Honey sells for about $5 a pound.
A queen will sell for about $30 each.
You can sell wax candles and shit too.
The bees produce 30-40 pounds of honey per nuc per season.

I "Dominate" old weirdos and creeps on Skype. Have 4 regular customers and I get $50 to yell at them for 15 minutes. On a normal week I make $150 or $200 for an hour of bullying geezers and calling them names through a webcam. I've had requests to take my shirt off and start flexing for more money but I'm not desperate enough for that (yet)

It's p dope because I'm a student and it's paying my rent atm.

I'm thinking about teaching guitar on the side. I'm really good but I'm not sure how profitable it would really be.

How did you get started?

I teach guitar, i had this brilliant idea to teach beginners in groups and eventually get rid of one on one tutoring. 5 beginners a group, $25 each for half hour lesson. I do it on the side of my normal job ($700/week). Hourly its such good cash, but good luck finding more than 3 regular groups worth of students. Get paid in cash for guitar lessons, so I clear a grand a week for an extra 3 hours (inc. lesson prep) work.

Listen to You'll do quite well.

That is a good idea. The only issue would be to find a group whose schedule aligns perfectly. Plus, each student might get a little bit less out of it, but $25 for a half hour is comparably cheap anyways. Do you operate out of a venue, or do you operate out of your house?

So wait I have to pay taxes on the shit I sell on craigslist?

Yeah a good idea is to book each student into a "beginner program" of about 5 one-on-one lessons and get them to the same level before combining them into a group. You just don't ask a lot, you tell. I just operate out of my house, itd be a good idea to get a consultation room or something if you could get enough work.

Have them sign contracts after the beginner program when they join a group that commits them to a weekly (or monthly) payment with a clause regarding giving notice for not showing up (because you will get a lot drop out early, you can make enough cash to cover them when they *inevitably* quit in the first 12 months).

Here's the thing, it's a money making strategy, its not necessarily a great guitar teaching strategy. I'm able to charge $75/hour for advanced guitar lessons thanks to my reputation, but for me right now the cash is with the beginners.

also, as far as expansion goes, it's pretty easy to find guitar teachers in the next town over that will follow your teaching program under your "business name" and you can get them to pay you a charge (monthly or per student etc). Which is literally money you don't work for because one you have a program you can use it for each new student/teacher

Just out of curiosity, how do you market yourself? Flyers, word of mouth, ect.?

...I..I feel ashamed that I would be willing to do this for some income on the side. I really need it.

I used to do this pretty successfully for much more money, but I moved towns and the customer base is much smaller.

Flyer drops are a good idea, door hangers, social media. I lived on a highway and just jammed a "Guitar Teacher" generic sign out the front and got heaps of call-ins from that. Word of mouth is good, you really just have to sell the idea to parents that group lessons are a superior way to learn guitar (its probably bullshit, to be honest), they're half right to be skeptical but honestly, as beginners it makes no fuckin' difference. Once you sell the education benefits you sell the social benefit angle and word of mouth might bring in some more students from "active parent" circles.

Around school holidays and shit (especially christmas, new year) do a big flyer drop, work with music stores and shit to refer you, and offer sign up offers around those times when people are more likely to sign up (new years resolutioners are a nice piggy bank).

Working with music shops and the like is phenomenal, you agree to put your beginner students (who likely dont have guitars of their own) onto their business and they stock your flyers (exclusively)... shit like that.

Ok, thanks for the info! I've been playing for about 10 years, but I've never really taught. Once I have a some more free time on my hands(my job is seasonal) I'll probably give it a go.

Good luck man!

i used to do pizza delivery, you can make some money on tips.

also uber?

If you sell shit on craigslist for $100 that cost you $50, and you do this for profit, then yes.
If you bought a lawnmower 5 years ago for $300 and sell it today for $30, then no.

one customer spends $50 on ice cream...?

Ahem, it is 400 dollars net for any self employment. It isnt like they go "oh its a hobby; we wont tax you, snowflake." grow up.

t. ex-personal income tax preparer.

I suppose you're the kind of guy who would try to make me report my garage sale earnings. I can see why you got fired.

Who gives a shit! Nobody is going to ever know that you made a few bucks at the yard sale. Fucking autist.

shill nimirum.org referral links like the rest of Veeky Forums

Made friends with a guy at the gym. He was doing it and he turned me onto it as well. He was getting more clients than he could handle so he threw some my way.

That's entirely wrong you fucking dummy.

painting and customizing sneakers

>Buy Go Cart
>Go to mall
>Take old shopping carts
>Sell them back

I'm gonna have to need a source on this one.

Honey per hive.
brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/how-much-honey-per-hive/
Price of honey.
keepingbackyardbees.com/pricing-honey/
Queens for sale.
beeweaver.com/buy_beeweaver/queens

>tfw want to start cottage food business
>can't because my living residence is decrepit and somewhat unsanitary
>the money that it would it take to fix everything would be more than what it would take to invest in any cottage food business

rent space in a commercial kitchen.

What can I sell with a cottage food business?

Cottage food

US accountant here, this is 100% wrong

Lol

How in the world did you think of this and find the people to do it to

That's if your TOTAL income for the year (as in, your full time job salary plus your hobby) is less than 10k. If you make 50k/yr at your job and $1k at your hobby then you pay tax on 51k that year