/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

"Psst, hey kid, wanna buy some *large serrated discs*?" edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HsGRsDe3iRw
youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So after getting the walls set up and ready I blocked off the intersection, leaving a pair of doors I could pop out on the east fork. Then I covered over the lower part of the road, and walled the edges of the camp so it should flood all the way until it reaches the original river outlet heading east.

Course, while playing with magma I forgot to remove my waterskins so my booze boiled off, and I was in full withdrawal mode for a couple weeks while building until fucking pears and apples and peaches and shit started popping up everywhere.

Need to figure out what to do with it once I get the moat filled up.

Is it possible to make it so fingers will heal in adventure mode?

lmao who plays autistic shit like this

this does not even graphics just a bunch of windows symbols on a black screen KEK

Only if you make them finger crutches.

Need to change the raws to do it if your race doesn't heal fast enough, or become a werebeast.

Totally brotatochip.

>giant leopards stalking around
>don't even have cage traps anywhere near my entrance
>no military
on a scale from AYY OKAY to F U G E D, how bad?

As long as your dorfs don't get outside you are pretty good, just start building those cage traps already

Zombie giant leopards, you're fucked.

Regular giant leopards, make sure your civvies don't start trying to gangbang one until they pass out and dehydrate?

you need to go back

>Look up some data on wiki
>Turns out giant leopard is as big as a regular cow
TOAAAADYYYY!!!

Get axes and picks, it's time to earn your meal.

>fortress starts grinding towards FPS death
>inevitably start running DF in the background while doing other things

This feels like a bad idea, but while I was waiting for the water to fill up the moat I got bored and started thinking about stuff I can do with my minecarts.

I could just fill/dump them, but that isn't nearly fun enough, nor does it run the risk of bouncing a minecart or speeding glob or water off my own skull!

Well, there is a significant difference between a fort mode water gun and an adventure mode one.

Trying to get the cadence as fast as I can crashes the game like clockwork. Slowing it down to a load, cock, aim, fire, type of pace seems sustainable.

Are there still underground rivers/lakes? What about ravines and chasms?

I always liked those way back in 40d.

Man the one thing that Rimworld really has on DF is being able to easily draw a design with markers. I have to make this smoothed cave a hospital. It's a pain in the butt.

Huh something more exotic this time around

Damn, even the slower load/shoot/pause/pause/load/shoot pace ends up crashing if I get the slightest bit jumpy. Gonna try cycling multiple carts in a longer barrel to stagger it that way.

Can't you set it to marker only vs actual designation now?

>miss a mandate
>miner who had absolutely fuck all to do gets the work order violation pinned on him for some reason
>alright cunty cunt Baron of soon to be the magma pool
>put up a quick justice chain in the tavern
>guy spends all his time chained up next to the booze and reciting poetry

Its not the same. That's useful for like, solid rock that you haven't carved out at all. Useful, but not what I want.

disabling the fps counter makes me feel better. ignorance is bliss nah I know exactly how bad it is but its better than staring at it and feeling discouraged by how bad it is.

Accidentally had it come out looking like some sort of ray-gun, said fuck it and went all in.

hey guys what do you listen to me i listen to youtube.com/watch?v=HsGRsDe3iRw ha ha ha not a big fan of you know who I just like a good beat PRAISE SLAANESH

Trippin'

>unchillin with unfrens
Put a wall by a bandit camp, lined up a ton of carts with water and just started launching, hard to tell how it is going because you don't see the combat logs, but then you head over to the other side of the wall.

>check on why rapist says a guy has his legs uncovered in equipment overview
>see this
Shoes. Cloak. Quiver. Crossbow and stark naked otherwise.

Remember to check your labors. He had hunting enabled and I never bothered to check. I set their uniforms to replace equipment and even made a batch of full iron armor to ensure I had plenty. Hunting labor fucked it up majorly.

my bad name carried over from ss13

is there a way to not have 100 dwarves attempt to pile drive their way into a 7*10 library during periods with little work?

If I could pick any one thing that really fucking annoys me about this game it'd be jewel crafting in general. If I don't watch them like a hawk they'll encrust the same random object a dozen times.

Yeah make multiple temples, libraries, and taverns so they don't all piledrive into one place.

noice. I was dicking around and caught a woodcutter get in a heavy fistfight with a visiting human performer.

Blame it on me rereading the Culture books, but when I went to check on the aftermath it struck me to ride my cart around and smash the survivors, and then I got yet another potentially awful idea!

>Can you drop and accelerate //other// minecarts while riding around on one?
>Oh shit, it's a goddamn fleet of murderboats!
>We Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints now...

How do I change ammo preferences? How do I enable bolts that ain't ticked off?

You [c]an add something and then specify which [M]aterial it should use, and/or choose specific ammo.

So if I set any material, it won't appear under assigned?

>153 dwarves
>50 idle
>the same four farm plots I made at the start of the fortress feed them all fine
wish there was a mod to increase the amount they eat.

I'm confused what you're asking here.

>deadly blood FB in cavern, a stegosaurid with wings
>it's lurking in a cave lake, send my militia squads down to wait until it emerges and comes around a corner
>they run well past my mark, see the beast, and charge after it
>one of the militia captains gets into melee range and immediately dodges into the water
>the FB follows him and now the rest of my dwarves are just standing at the water's edge doing nothing while the militia captain starts to drown
>fuck
>militia captain can't swim or attack, but he's dodging or blocking all of its attacks
>my 1 marksdwarf, the captain of the guard, starts unloading bolts into it
>every single one of her shots hits
>the militia captain keeps dodging and leading the FB around in a big wide circle through the lake, eventually turning up near the shore where he started
>after breaking bones in all of its legs and wings, one of the guard captain's shots finds an artery in the FB's neck and it bleeds to death a few dozen ticks later
>militia captain manages to climb out of the water totally unharmed
>nobody even touched the deadly blood because all the fighting took place in the water
solid plan guys, I should've trusted you

Does Toady have any plans to rework how mosaic windows work? I'd love to be able to choose in which order the gems blink, and it would be absolutely golden to be able to have more than three frames. It would make making animations much easier, and I might even be able to recreate some of my fav 3d gifs.

Doing these swarm attacks with minecarts makes me want to fuck around with magic, and shit like squad orders with companions.

I'm sure that'll be one of those "way in the furnishings/buildings overhaul post-update era" type things unless it just happens to be something he notices and goes "oh, I can just flip that to this new thing and it'll let you specify the materials/orders/etc" he pops in randomly.

well i'm not gonna say no to a free legendary armorsmith and a 168k increase in fort value.

We can only hope.

God fuck just forget about storing it and do something else like sleep it off your fractured arms aren't gonna heal by storing shit.

I wish all those spikes were actually doing damage. Fighting monk style in spiked platinum gaunlets would be fun

>human bard and a woodcutter get in a fight
>laugh it off and grant the human bard residency so he can get medical care and stay
>bretty good guy

>later on a goblin bard tries the same shit
>30 nearby militia immediately swarm him and hack him to pieces

It's disgusting enough having goblins in my fort.

yeah that'd be nice.

Oh excellent there was a second goblin bard that began fighting a human bard in my tavern during these events and after they concluded the human beat the goblin to death with her bare fists.

She's getting added to the residency list for eliminating that last goblin.

Those who live by the minecart, get bashed in the lungs by the minecart.

This is actually a good little story, better than 80% of them with a surprise happy ending and instructive also. "The stegosaurid wash"

>Be a shitty adventurer
>Find an alligator recruit on a town
>It's shit at combat, even more than me
>Talk about my shitty kill to everyone
>Apparently now i'm a legendary hero
>It was just a shitty alligator recruit plz
>find soldiers in the city
>they're friendly
>try to recruit them
>"sorry but my duty is here"
>k, good luck
>leave city
>see star on the map following me
>It's the soldiers from the city
>"we're on an important mission"
>o-okay
>they keep following me
>a second star on the map appear
>It's fucking stray animals
>they're following me everywhere too
What the fuck is happening.

Anyone know why all the shoes I find don't have left or right in the name? I can't even wear 2. Is there a way to fix this?

All shoes are for both feet in DF.

Wait I just figured it out. I removed a sock instead of a shoe, now I can wear both

I could have sworn they were separate a few versions ago.

They still are.

When will Slaves to Armok III: Bannerlord be released?

No I mean I thought they said for left or right before. It's been Luke a year since I played last and even then I haven't played much since .31

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a distinction in 0.34 or 0.31, either, although my memory is a bit vague.

I'm probably just mistaken.

What's up with adventurers crying for no reason? I'm in the starting area going through stuff to see if there's anything better than what i have and i noticed they have a coating of their tears on them? It wasn't stealing so what was it?

was it because i was running around naked in front of everyone?

>>was it because i was running around naked in front of everyone?

If you start a conversation and choose 'express you emotions', you can see a list of the most recent emotions your adventurer has felt and what caused them. From there, it should be clear why you're crying. Most of the time, it's from seeing death and violence.

>tfw you always thought that it's pure physiological reaction of eye moistening because you've never seen your adventurer without one

Oh apparently they're just so fucking happy they put on a well crafted item that they started crying.

Fucking kek

A dragon happened, so I did a little testing.
It does melt anything a person caught in flame has with it - swords, armour, arrows, but not shields. You still can block using a wooden shield. Couldn't test bridges tho.

>dragon fire can't melt wood shields

>so I did a little testing.
do you mean got rekt? cause thats what it sounds like.

how do you even kill dragons now?

Well, it should at least set them on fire. Not sure tho, I used steel ones, cause I love picture my militia as invincible warriors in full-plate armour with only eyes exposed and shields as big as they are.
Kind of, it killed 2/3 of my militia and some useless migrant haulers(they were buying some time), entered underground and was killed when I collapsed hallway all way down into magma

I asked Toady about that actually, usually if you check you'll find that they know you, and it's almost always a squad of recruits with a couple skilled soldiers at most.

Actually surprising that you got a mix of hammer/xbow/axe in there, was that a lasher or recruit?

The animals... yeah, that one happened a lot in 40.24, less often in 42.06 (let's not talk about the age of the horse) and I haven't seen it yet in 43.03, but I've been running around doing stupid shit like dueling bandits on a minecart.

This one fucker I swear figured out what to do, and every time I came back around for a pass, whichever direction I tried, they would run and get right near that damn cactus, cutting off my angles of approach, and I swear it seemed deliberate because they could pick all sorts of directions to run, but they consistently beelined for the nearest cactus like they knew it would keep me from mowing them down.

10 damn passes before I got a solid hit and was able to do more than wing them. Well played little elite bowelf.

Just starting DF again after a hiatus. How do I change the font size? I'm in a 42" TV screen and can't read the damn text because I'm an old fart that sits in bed with his broken laptop and cat all day.

>I deconstructed a road
>a magma

What?

Shift + '+' for scaling (looks like shit) or replace tileset

Didnt do anything, but apparently there's a built in larger font, that works fine for now.

So, I could be wrong, but Masterwork seems like it's just better than vanilla DF in every way.

So I was trying to get through an abandoned gobbo fort into the underworld. Although I can't be sure until DFHack gets updated, I'm pretty sure the fort was disconnected somewhere, so I just gave up and began exploring the caverns underneath. Then, I came across this sight.

Try scrolling, it scales the font for me

What's up with these caverns?

benis :D

you're not entirely wrong. but it's not updated to .43 so it's objectively shit

No.

Is by fag, for fag.

I want Meph to leave.

Oh god, the downside of rampaging around minecarting all the things, every random creature that gets whacked by a stray minecart across the screen becomes a histfig, and it takes a good 30 seconds just to pull up the "bring up a rumor" lists due the nearly 1600 pages in there.

Gonna go set up a site and retire to clear that shit out, fuck.

Find somewhere that has a paved road between towns/hamlets/hillocks/etc, put a campsite on one, you can deconstruct bridges, paved roads, and so forth. They're just "rock" instead of a specific material, so rather than leaving a granite block or obsidian boulder it just defaults to [INORGANIC:NONE] or magma, it evaporates pretty quickly, but if you scoop it up you can fill your backpack with it (it'll set you on fire!) or put it in a magma safe container and play with it.

If you want to keep the vanilla looking tileset: save this into your df/data/art folder, then open up df/data/init/init.txt and replace the lines that say curses_640x300.png with the new filename. I don't have many options for large square sets, and I'm superwhoremode with the vorpal curses+1 there, but I've got a collection of sets that'll fit 1920x1080 to 2560x1440p and the like natively that seem like a good fit if the tiny little 8x12 or 10x10 tilesets kill your eyes. You can always zoom OUT to see more screen, but the game won't zoom in above the 80x25 grid without dfhack/twbt.

Guess you're talking about the magma, not the wangcaves right? Bet there's one of those weird leaky volcano tubes in there, where it's just draining into the caverns.

Ah, and there's that one, the less fancy but still cleaned up and large screen friendly version of the 10x12 pixel font.

I think I messed up during my first trading. I selected items I brought to depot on the right, and offered them to trader. They disappeared from the list.

But now when i select on left side what I'd like, it says I don't have anything to offer and they will get angry.

Offer means "give for free". Select things from both sides, then attempt the trade.

speaking of tilesets. does anyone have a sharp, high res tileset that looks basically like default?

also how do i get menus to display in a different set than the game screen?

>[MOUSE: YES]

after 8 years I still don't know what it does.

Text Will Be Text is a dfhack plugin that lets you set different sets for map and text use.

This is the closest I have to a totally stripped down HD version of the 640x300 set. The kobold soldier/goblin soldier tiles are unused, as is the column tile, so I left them, don't know which layer of the .xcf if any has the original tiles anymore.

How do you know in adventurer mode if a weapon is too big for you? Are size penalties actually taken into effect?

not sure but if it has to be twohanded it's probably too big unless you have the skill also you can look at your speed and chance to hit.

meant for

youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ

teach me how to minecart joust

>Mom, I'm going to visit the library.
>Ok, make sure your brother helps you strap your armor on, and don't forget your shield! We don't need //another// double amputee in this home!
>Geez mom, I'm wearing the full plate and mail set dad smithed for me, he said he had a polar bear woman mathematician gnawing on it while he was passed out drunk once!
>...I'd hardly call his crazy ex a mathematician, but never mind, just be careful sweetie.

For comparison, this is the fully glitz version, with the translucency and tilemagic and my faggy diagonal walls. The vorpalcursesclassic has black backgrounds for the grass and the regular walls and such, oh and the round dorfs instead of the beards, though I can whip one up with the beards too, just switching out a layer in GIMP.

They don't really matter in adventurer mode. If it's really too big you will get slowed down by it, otherwise it's just a matter of if you want to use it one handed or not. There's no real penalty from multigrasp that I can notice.

How the hell am I supposed to get water anywhere its cold? All the rivers are frozen and I can't find any settlements with wells.

Been trying to drink tears and blood of animals but it doesn't sate anything.

make a fire

and do what with the fire, it won't let me fill my waterskin with ice, and I dont think a campfire can thaw a river

Why cant I find a breastplate anywhere

Restore that and do it over right.

Fill your skin with snow, light a campfire, interact with your waterskin, heat near campfire, enjoy.

>Full armor is a must
>Seriously, you're gonna get fucked up
>No, I mean really fucked up, I've been skidding face first across the ground with an adventurer race using the steel hard dragon bones and scale tissue properties
>Mangled lung, guts, bruised and smashed open my arm, both legs, and my chest
>If I ended up hitting a hard enough wall not even steel bones would help
>So yeah, expect to get mangled or die
>Now with that out of the way...

Drop a minecart and interact with it, use push off and ride in a direction, then you can just use the regular pushing north/south/east/west.

They can corner pretty well but you gotta set it up because they can carry a lot of momentum.

Overjudge your turns, if you wanna be going south and you're going southwest, start feeding in east pushes, plus south if you're far away, or north if you're up close.

The opposite direction is the only way to slow down that doesn't potentially involve blowing apart on impact.

When the "on minecart (NW)" indicator changes, keep going past it some, you'll keep heading northeast for a bit even when the main push is indicated as northwest or whatever.

You can literally ignore rivers up to, say... 8~10 tiles wide at normal speeds. You CAN get across the big 30~40 tile wide rivers in a cart, but you're gonna be going fast enough to kersplode if you hit anything on the other side.

Trees are life and death: you hit a trunk, you're wasted unless you glitch through it, but you can grab hold of branches to dismount without bouncing off the cart face first, so keep your hands empty!

If you've got the hang of scooting around decently enough, put some more carts in your backpack, then when you come up on some enemies, if your reaction time is fast enough, you can drop a cart and input enough commands to get it going pretty fast before you move out of range!