Anything more complicated than arithmetic is useless to most people

>Anything more complicated than arithmetic is useless to most people.

True or false?

False, I guess, unless you mean for calculations they have to do themselves.

The higher maths are important in a range of different fields

>The higher maths are important in a range of different fields

Of course, but should high school students, especially those uninterested in college, be required to take advanced algebra and trigonometry?

>advanced Algebra and trig
Those subjects are not, in any sense, advanced or complicated, just ugly and shit.

Also, why should we teach history, or literature?

No, and neither should a Biological Sciences major be made to take a social problems class, but if College weren't a racket, what else would we do?

I get what you mean, but one would argue Alegbra II or College Algebra are more advanced in comparison to pre-Algebra.

>Also, why should we teach history, or literature?
>Neither should a Biological Sciences major be made to take a social problems class

I'd argue that the old ideas about the core purpose of an education being to develop a well-rounded, informed populace requires courses like these.

Requiring students to take more advanced topics in mathematics for those that simply cannot pass them just contributes to drop out rates. From what I've heard, Ancient Romans received very little education in regard to mathematics.

I'm not saying I agree one way or another, its just an interesting topic to explore. I'm certainly glad with the amount of math that I have taken, and wouldn't mind going further with it.

Alot of the reason for taking higher level math courses is to ensure that those who do go on to need it in college or otherwise have it. Most kids in high school dont know what theyre going to be doing or majoring in after high school, and if left to their own devices wouldnt take math at all.
When I went into high school I told myself I would never take a math that I didnt have to beyond the required 2 years. And then I decided to do engineering in college. Im glad I took classes in high school, or Id have been screwed.

whatdya mean by "use"?

I wish I were a hostage, or a victim of a shooting/bank robbery. It would be awesome to die without leaving behind a legacy of a guy who committed suicide. The only thing stopping me from doing it is the fact that my parents would be devastated (my mom would probably die) and it would change everyone's view of me drastically.

>Not history

I've read few pages which described American math education trough the decades and now I know why I hardly see anybody else but Americans being anti-public education.

They "reformers" that fucked it up since 1920's thought kinda like you. And then Sputnik happened.

To be fair, the topic of the thread is t really history, either.

To be fair, the topic of the thread isn't really history, either.

Both. It weeds out the unintelligent.

A well rounded education for anyone from 1000 B.C.E forwards required a lot of math.

Math deals with making irrefutable arguments while solving problems which can be really beautiful in itself. That should be enough reason to teach it, though you really can use mathematics in basically anything if you know how to translate real life into abstract math. This goes far beyond solving a cuadratic equation.

I am really regretting both the abysmal mathematics education I received throughout school and my general lack of interest in the subject during that whole period.

>chose physics instead of advanced math
>field requires stats and matrices
It's too hard to know what you'll need user. Don't beat yourself up. Just learn what you want to learn now that you know where you're heading.

>stats and matrices
It requires much much more.

Also there is no "advanced maths"

Define "basic arithmetic"

If you can't solve picture related, you don't know basic arithmetic

My field requires that, knobby. As in the one I got into AFTER taking those classes in high school.

As for advanced math I was short-handing for what the class was called in my country. The classification system we used varied from state to state already so I doubt people in other countries would call it the same thing either.

>Ancient Romans received very little education in regard to mathematics
Ancient Romans never made any breakthrough, so it checks out

you literally has posted it on Veeky Forums on internet using PC

False, for sure. If we assume the purpose of high school is to present you with a skillset compatible with the 21st century, it is also of the imperative that it provide you with the rudimentary tools of mathematical analysis needed for anything later.

>high school math is complicated
wait till you get to university familia, things go from 0-100 real fucking quick

I could solve it with 2 minutes of refreshers and I would definitely ace a course that covered it or a test on it if I had 5-10 minutes of prep time...does that count? (It does)

>wait till you get to university familia, things go from 0-100 real fucking quick
Studied aerospace engineering. Took me too long to realize I just couldn't math.

Dat learning curve doe.

first half I could do with ease

second I'd just need a minute or two to refresh myself

>two minute with refreshers
Almost instantly on sight and I haven't done mathematics in over a month.

Ok. Do you want a cookie or something?

Except the quadratic equation, numbers which when added multiplied equal 2 and added equal -8 is bullshit.

No, they're just simple. Extremely so.

>I could do with ease
proofs?

Okay.Well I got a cookie.

Nah I try not to eat sweets. Thanks, though.

>Except the quadratic equation, numbers which when added multiplied equal 2 and added equal -8 is bullshit.
What the fuck are you talking about?

I wasn't sharing my cookie with you though.

It depends what kind of math.

I think some people on Veeky Forums would get a kick out of a symbolic logic class, when you take a formal maths class that includes logic you kinda pick up on how to form better arguments in the humanities subjects.

I was trying to take the square of the equation, and I can't think of two numbers which add up to -8 and multiply to 2. The equation will give you neat little square roots but I can't do that in my head.

Well thank you for the thought.

I ate a snickerdoodle

I bet every girl who sees it snickers at your doodle.

I'm pretty sure they'd just eat the cookie

>wait till you get to university familia, things go from 0-100 real fucking quick

This. You haven't seen anything yet.

I took AP calc in high school, this metaphorically works out to math spitting on its dick before it sodomizes me.

You don't even know bro

I'm a junior at uni now.
My calc teacher still talks about me, he translates the AP test score to your grade if the score is higher, so I just fucked around all year and got a 5.

Granted, this kinda thing did bite me in the ass, but I've recovered.

Math is a job skill. Humanities is the prerequisite for cultural literacy.

Math is definitely important. I do have to wonder, though, whether it would be better to spend less resources on teaching algebra and trigonometry and more on logic and statistics.

What the fuck, this is exactly how I was feeling a couple days ago.

Try to distance yourself from your suicidal feelings and just sleep for a few days. When you feel a bit better try to come up with a plan for how to sustain yourself financially. Or just try living homeless for a while.

Killing yourself WILL end your parents, trust me. And don't tell a hospital or a therapist no matter what, they will try to make you a prisoner and you will be marked and locked in.

In the late forties to early sixties they taught set theory in school before arithmetic, that generation's sophomore maths textbooks would give problems to a current grad student.

You don't know much aboyt math d'ya?

absolutely false
algebra or trigonometry can be useful for everybody in common life situations. Even if you don't need to remember all exact formulas, its necessary to know where to find them and how to use them.

Also you need to know math even for humanities.

This, I cannot stress enough to my stat students how many of the problems with academia is bad statistical analysis.

To most people definitely yes
To humanity as whole definitely no
It should be left to people who actually care about it

This. I cant do it because my mum would be destroyed. So i have to endlessly suffer my mental problems.

>tfw i learned all this shit
>tfw after two years of finishing high school already forgot all things math related
mathematics is a meme