/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Comfy Sunday Edition

>Waifu Jam (2 Days Left)
itch.io/jam/wj2016

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Game Dev Articles
boreal.aggydaggy.com

New Threads: Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Next DEMO DAY (Nine) #9
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous DEMO DAYs
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

fabiensanglard.net/c/
yoyogames.com/legal
strawpoll.me/10342695
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for just like make game

No amount of game design is going to tell someone that the F key does a thing.

The EXPLANATION of a game mechanic, what it is for and how it should be used, should be done though level design rather than text.
Telling the player the keybinding in order to do said mechanic is in many games necessary and unavoidable.

second for just like make waifu

>Telling the player the keybinding in order to do said mechanic is in many games necessary and unavoidable.
There's clever/subtle ways to do it though, I guess that's what I should have said.

nTh for who the fuck is stupid enough to use frameworks instead of an engine?

Thank you for including the waifujam

So what I put some graffiti on a wall in-game that says WASD to move. Since I'm not actually telling the player via a text box, would that make it better for immersion?

Or just put a screen with the controls and instructions before the game begin and get done with it so you don't interrupt the player mid-game or add retarded graffiti saying "WASD TO MOVE XD", Jesus.

Have fun doing it in a way which allows for rebinded keys and alternate control schemes.

Even HL2 which is held up as the bastion of teaching through level design has key prompts appear.

I just won't tell the player anything. He can figure out the controls himself or look them up online. No need to babysit scrubs.

>>Even HL2 which is held up as the bastion of teaching through level design has key prompts appea
HL2 is shit though.

>rebinded keys and alternate control schemes.
>what is dynamic text

You could do it with Font like Decals.

>Or just put a screen with the controls and instructions before the game begin
I hate this. Especially if they're done during loading screens. Either there's never enough time to memorize the controls before the level is finished loading or there's too much shit to look at and then I end up having to pause during the game to look up the key binding. Every first stage should have a soft tutorial on their first stage to tell us which keys do what. Like walking up to a log and having to jump or crouch over it when the button prompt shows up. Halo 1 did it perfectly.You don't have to stop and explain, it just shows up harmlessly on easier modes, then they remove it on the harder modes.

What robots do you guys wanna see in this game?

to be fair, that might also break immersion if, say, you revisit the area after the tutorial. who the fuck writes "WASD to move" on walls?

what about games with unlockable abilities that you don't want to spoil?
"X - Power 1" and "C - Power 2"? any player will forget those by the time they unlock the new powers.
text is still an efficient and acceptable way to do it, i think.

Sonnies.

SFML or SDL?

Do you need higher-level rendering, etc. or just something to abstract platform specifics (e.g. for OpenGL)?
Do you prefer OO or procedural?

sfml

SDL2

The twintail type

A couple anons have told me that i should add a section for devstreams on the tools site. Im going to look into using the twitch api to show whether a stream is live or not.

If you devstream and you want to be added to this new section please reply to this post with your twitch username channel thing.

Also, friendly reminder that you can view the may recap at recap.aggydaggy.com and that sometime this week ill be running a strawpoll to redesign the site so its not "too big".

Again, Sorry for the shilling, but if i dont get input from you guys then it feels too much like im making it "my" site and i dont want that. Especially while its still in active development l.

Reminds me of Maria†Holic

How do you solve the issue of players hoarding consumable items and never ever using them? Especially in games with crafting systems.

Why is that an issue?

>How do you solve the issue of players hoarding consumable items
The simplest answer:
They degrade.

i still have the depot in tibia from 3 years ago

>Maria†Holic

It was inspired by Mina from Dance in the Vampire Bund.

>A couple anons have told me that i should add a section for devstreams
I really think you should keep twitch out of it.
Twitch already lets subs know, and devs usually announce it every time in the thread anyway.

That has never been good in any game ever.

Do the Diablo

What game even does it?
Keep in mind my JRPG-knowledge is shit.

tbqh if you're making a standard sidescroller like Mario clone, or a shooter like megaman, the gameplay is so simple that all the prompts would be unnecessary. Even a standard FPS that uses the same controls all the other ones use, don't even need a tutorial.

But if you're making simulator or something, you should have prompts pop up. Any RTS, tactical turn based rpg, rpgs, anything semi complex, than yeah, you better put those prompts up. How else are you going to immersively explain the controls? To access the power display in your mech game, you're going to need to tell them to press 'P' on the keyboard. Just give them that information, having to stop and look it up is even more immersion breaking. And there are many words that start with P that might be used in your game so it's not like the first letter as a shortcut will always help.

The only other thing I could think of is if someone else in game was using a keyboard an also needed to press P, and either he said it out loud trying to remember it, or he pressed it and your camera was looking at it. But either way that's stupid. Why waste extra time teaching someone immersively. People aren't stupid. They know you're trying to shove a tutorial in immersively and it's dumb and patronising. Just give us the damn control prompts as we need them at least at the beginning. It's faster and less immersion breaking than doing it in a roundabout way.

I like rotting food in Tibia

Weight limit and/or limited inventory space.

Yeah? Thats the first time someone has suggested against it. What makes you say that user?

okay, so

what do i google to fix this

Remember: practice

are they weighted to the bones

>the issue of players hoarding
what, your precious engine starts to have slowdowns when there are more than 255 things in the inventory?

fucking grow up

Any decent ebooks for gamedevving in c / c++?

I want to get into c and thought gamedevving might be a good way to learn! (Even if it's only the game of life)

I was waiting for it to become good and the gif restarted

makes bones/parenting for the hat and bow as well, doofus

What do the weights of the hat's vertices look like relative to the head bone?

hoarding and shitposting are unhealthy behaviours

>What makes you say that user?
I think it just invites leeches and whodevs for free advertisement.
As well as just being redundant, because as I said, devs already announce it anyway. And most people are just going to check their twitch link before the site.

Would be interested in poll results though.

Dragon's Dogma
Dungeons of Dreadmor

Accidentally replied in the old thread.

The enemies are spawned using preset spawn points that are at an average height so ground and air enemies can spawn at them and be useful. The glitch you saw has been fixed - the enemies will search for an open location above or below them if they spawn in the wall ;)

Thanks man! The sound effect is pretty cool too. Shame that Veeky Forums webms dont allow sound.

Yup, using Game Maker: Studio

when will the flat shading meme end?

>DD
Huh, I should get back to playing that then.

Hey guys i'm making a windows game on gamemaker studio (free).

Do you think I will hit any problems when releasing the game using the free version?

How do I make sure no one will sue me over copyright shit?

How do I get music on here from lesser known artists? Is it royalty or one time pay?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

i thought automatic weights would include them since they are parts of the model. time to add more bones i guess

as soon as i learn how to texture never

fabiensanglard.net/c/

it's not about the textures, it's the fucked normals

How long does a music loop need to be to not be repetitive and fucking awful?

I know the longer it's looping the longer the loop needs to be, but I was hoping for more specific advice.

It's only now just starting to get popular. It's only going to become more popular, user. Think minecraft's cube style. Flat shading hasn't even completely caught on yet.

just make a longer loop
whats the problem?
pokemon music is a good example

Don't starve

Make sections with different tempos

>Do you think I will hit any problems when releasing the game using the free version?
probably not
>How do I make sure no one will sue me over copyright shit?
Don't use copyrighted shit.
Release your game under an LLC.
>How do I get music on here from lesser known artists?
ask
> Is it royalty or one time pay?
Depends on the person. Some might be inclined to do it for free to build their resume/name brand.
Other than that everyone has their own thing.
Some people do by the track minute, some do by the track, some do flat fee vs 10/20/+ track amount.

We have a few music friends posting lately. But honestly don't even think about music until your games about finished.

people like it because anyone can make and modify their own minecraft stuff

I'm not making the loops, is the thing. I'm scouring the databases of free music and there are tracks I like, but I'm not sure if they're long enough.

holy shit, I think the people saying that after the pixel 2D plattformer hype there now really will be a ps1 era style hype.
Is history repeating itself?

Over a minute is fine, the key is having a lot of repitition but not making it annoying by adding harmonies and variation to the melody

i think it's more about the tools and market saturation

retro pixel style garbage is getting stale

modeling with flat shading is the next easy thing

Poll results for redesign, or do you mean running a separate poll for including streams or not?

I definitely understand the leech worry. My main concern with putting my effort in the site in the first place is ill be seen as a leech myself, which is why im trying to include as much "other people" as possible (including giving out subdomains). Theres a fine balance im trying to strike between not making the aggydaggy "mine" and allowing attention whoring and personality cults to insert themselves into it.

We game now

Does Renpy count as game devving?

If you're making a game about kemono baras then correct.

A poll about streams if you care enough.
Ultimately the sites yours, you're doing /agdg/ a service.
You can't make everyone happy, just find the balance between community and your own direction. A "Mootocracy" if you remember Moot explaining that term.

If you think dev stream notifications are more good than evil, do it.

Otherwise move on to the next thing.

I am! But it's set during a bitter decade-long war between the Cat Democracy and the Dog USSR, exploring important questions like whether or not love can bloom on the battlefield.

1. Always let players acquire more of each item as long as they look for it, and make it clear that no consumable used is lost forever.
If only five Potions of Cure Anything can be found through your entire game, you can bet your ass your players will hoard them until the very last battle.

2. Encourage them to get rid of the items they don't use, for example, as a way to acquire money, gear...
But don't make it the only/most efficient way to acquire these things, otherwise your players will grind and hoard these useless items to get something better, which is the opposite of what you want.

3. Encourage them to use consumables! For example, a random event that will let them benefit more from a healing potion when they have a surplus of those and low health.

Consumables are hard to get right. If you don't know why you're giving them out and what purpose they serve, don't include them.

Fuck off furfag.

The more consumables you have, the less effective each one is.

So when you have 5 or less potions each potion heals 100 damage. When you have between 5 and 10 each potion heals 70 damage. When you have more than 10 each potion heals 50.

And then make a level up system where once you use 100 potions the hoarding debuff is lessened.

How you explain this in the lore is up to you. Magically reactant?

>Do you think I will hit any problems when releasing the game using the free version?
I doubt it, but you could probably get some more information out of these:
yoyogames.com/legal

Another animation as part of my 1AnimationADay to better myself.

It should be a jump starting from idle and continuing into a run.

Please tell me which parts move like shit because after staring at it for 45 minutes my brain's perception of how a jump should be is skewed.

Kemono is anime you silly billy.

the upper body should lean into and out of a jump. that's the biggest issue at the moment. then the pelvis should turn during the jump to give most reach for the legs

I was saying it would be a cool idea to have who's streaming on the website, but I don't have a twitch account and didn't know about the subscribing and it letting you know when they're streaming.

It's still a bit of an issue for new people who don't know who streams or even that anyone streams. I don't know, I guess I agree a poll would be a good idea.

Needs more visual force behind the launch.
Go watch long-jumper footage. They put their whole body into it for momentum.

Assuming it's not a robot, some leaning forward on the landing from momentum/balance loss. Dominant foot stepping forward is a good highlight. There should be a brief period after the landing where he regains footing and transitions back into running.

Good call mate. Ill do a lot of thinking on it.

In the meantime heres a strawpoll on if i should include devstreams or not:

strawpoll.me/10342695

>third day researching how to start an LLC
This is really tedious, I just want to make a game, but I don't want to get involved in costly patent litigation where my personal assets could be seized for my game mechanics infringing on patented techniques

I saw the last one and this is much better. Nice work. It physically looks pretty much perfect, but my initial impression was that maybe the initial acceleration gained after the last foot leaves the ground might be too great for how little effort they appear to be putting into jumping.

>fabiensanglard.net/c/

That is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I was hoping to hear. Fantastic, many thanks! I've got a well worn version of K and R, so I'm glad to see they pointed out where to go from there.

Also, I never realised Carmack put up his source code for his early id games. After reading Masters of Doom recently, I'm glad I can see this code in action

Many thanks again!

>It physically looks pretty much perfect,
It certainly does not, ignorant praise does more damage than shitposting. Please refrain from doing it.

Finish the game first.

>Mina Tepes
Shit, I knew she reminded me me of someone.
Is she for waifu jam or just your project? I wanna play it anyway.

Finished the background at least! Now to pray I don't find any complicated bug.

I really like that grass

Alright, I guess I got lazy around the torso.

Long jumpers get to gain momentum before jumping though, this is pretty much a "start from zero" jump so he can't put his whole body into it.
Good point about leaning forward after landing.

>my initial impression was that maybe the initial acceleration gained after the last foot leaves the ground might be too great for how little effort they appear to be putting into jumping.
No, you're right, the jump is definitely bigger than it should be with that movement.

Thanks guys.

How make tons of money?

She's just for my project, unfortunately it's going to take a while before any combat is implemented as I still need to overhaul my collision methods, but one day I hope to enter.

>guy in /dpt/ says Vulkan is a disappointment
>I ask him why
>he says they promised "control over memory" that they didn't deliver as an example
>I asked him how so
>he points me to a vastly simplified Nvidia article on it
>I say that that's not an appropriate source
>he then explodes, accusing me of not knowing the API myself and then goes on a rant about how he shouldn't need to cite the spec because if I wasn't too stupid I'd already know what he's talking about

Rob a bank

I don't want to start one without the safety of an LLC

It takes like 2 hours to start a LCC