/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Through The Universe, Edition

>Waifu Jam (1D20Hs Left) You gonna make it?
itch.io/jam/wj2016

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Game Dev Articles
boreal.aggydaggy.com

New Threads: Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Next DEMO DAY (Nine) #9
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous DEMO DAYs
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends
youtube.com/watch?v=WB2alpO62GM&list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd
jack-o-lantern.itch.io/jacks-revenge
jii.moe/Nye_JTNX-.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY
youtube.com/watch?v=_mVqv-NWW4E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Java.

Nice op picture man

Reminder that the /agdg/ soundcloud exists.

SUCKS!

What's the link? I'll add it to the tools site.

It's good enough for me

soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends
People seem to forget about it, it used to be in the OP until about a year ago.

Man, that casting animation looks like shit compared to the others.

>Atuin Galaxy Diver General

Added it to the Assets section.

What do you model your attack animations after (the actual pinkish attacks themselves, not the character motion) ?

Concept was from Fate Stay Nightt, how he materialised swords. In this case it's a dagger and pink because I'm procrastinating fixing my falling animation.

>not sure why it's working now
>don't ever touch it again
A relief of sorts

added learning spells, and updated the spellbook to only show learned spells/skills. this was probably the last thing I'm doing for spells right now (only thing left is to add more spells), so I can finally move on to something else. maybe it's time to finally tackle saving/loading

gamedev is a mental illness

It is in the OP, and it's been in the OP that whole time too.

Jesus H. Christ
I cant belive how hard it was to make a simple xml save file that saves and load some INT's between on my fucking game

I dont know why it was not working
i dont know what i did to fix it
i dont know why is working now

but fuck it

a nice thing happened i guess

Things are coming along! Were you streaming the book art some time ago? if so that was nice to watch. I don't know the first thing about art but thinking of giving it a shot

Unfortunately, I deleted the original code of it but I tried recreating it from memory. It did a similar thing.

Kind of, I think? Moving the boxes with some other functions like mp_linear_step prevents the player from moving with the box when it is on top of it, but trying that was the best result I got so far. When I use paths for the segments it moves the player fine but modifying paths for the segments seems a bit confusing. Maybe I should just try paths harder.

I posted a bunch of in-progress screenshots yesterday

I don't know anything about art either, I was just trying to roughly copy the game I'm copying (for now)

I honestly think it could still work the way it is if you had in game portraits of her possibly holding said energy dagger in various poses depending on the conversation. If I saw that before even getting into the combat I wouldn't have questioned it honestly.

>load some INT's
load some INT's what?

Yea I was thinking of her having an animation showcasing that when you receive the ability.

just some menu values
nothing like player position or something like that

I tried to learn how to code but I seriously couldn't grasp it.

Where can I go to learn from the very basic steps the knowledge needed? I want to make vn/rpg.

Because you seem to be ignoring , I guess because it was too frank and nondescript, I'll elaborate.

The other animations are really fluid. The attack animation doesn't have nearly the same frame rate, and it's just her waving her arm up and down without any weight put into it.

My suggestion? Make her bring her arm up, hold it at the top for a few more frames with a bigger flash to accentuate the dagger appearing, then bring it down fast and leave her arm down for a few frames afterwards.

youtube.com/watch?v=WB2alpO62GM&list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd

Not directly in the OP, bud. That's what I'm talking about. Nobody goes to the github page
When it's directly linked in the OP it can be embedded, which is much more convenient and results in a lot more plays for everyone in the group.

Is there a better way of going between objects in unreal instead of just casting all over the place like a drunk wizard? Kinda concerned at the rate that Im generating references. Dunno how much performance they're gonna eat in the long run.

That doesn't sound like a problem with Unreal, but more like how your stuff is set up.

You could just store a pointer to something in BeginPlay() if you need to use it a lot throughout the class though.

I did acknowledge your commend I was actually implementing something which would allow me to change the speed of the animations at different frames and I was going to post results once I was finished.

Oh, I see, you just didn't have anything that actually allowed you to have different "frame lengths" short of duplicating frames.

Yeah, my stuff is a mess but I dunno how to lay it out any better. Main worry is when Im generating stuff like slots in a list or grid squares. They all take a reference to another object so when they're clicked or whatever it can do something. There must be a better way to work this then having a few hundred references added.

it's impossible to say without seeing it, but a pointer is also only like 8 bytes, so whatever

I've pointed beginner's at the codecademy course on Ruby with some success. I think Ruby's overlooked a lot because of rails, but it is possible to love ruby and hate rails. If that's all meaningless to you it doesn't matter. Ruby was kind of designed to be fun to use, and it can also make production-ready things. But it is an interpreted language (like python) so you're not getting C++ speeds out of it.

>tfw banned from /3/ for saying to leave /pol/ in /pol/
;_;

agdg needs to stop shitting /3/ with memes

Probably nothing to worry about then.

>tfw you make OC for attention but you don't want to look like an attention whore, so you rename the file name with a Veeky Forums name so it will look like a repost and you don't get a single (you)

This is quite silly user. Post your OC, let me give you attention.

>tfw you don't get a single (you) because you're shit

you just responded to his OC
good work, enabler

> not just reposting your OC with no remorse

Posting old game for motivational purpose

Too many frames (and awkward frames) in that attack/cast animation man.

>limiting jumps
rude

>those portraits
oh man

One of the hardest games ever produced by agdg

jack-o-lantern.itch.io/jacks-revenge

Which do you use?
jii.moe/Nye_JTNX-.webm

Tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment. EZ.

those green punkins seem angry, I think they need to ripen up

One man army, tabs. Doesn't even fucking matter.

If I worked with other people I'd use what they use!

> meme comedy
why dont you just link a big bang theory webm and ask us which poorly coded nintendo 64 emulator we use

Jeez that shit is hard. The lack of basic feedback juice is killing me though...

Isn't everything comical a meme?

>lol us nerd problems and culture wars xD
soft tabbing masterrace

youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

I use tabs that are two spaces wide

>soft tab
What? Is that just another way to say spacebar?

youtube.com/watch?v=_mVqv-NWW4E

I've never seen this one before.

hit tab and it indents 4 spaces automatically

Hahahahahaha lol good one, agdg can't make like game! Hahaha my sides hahahhaa top kek

Nodevs are driving yesdevs away out of jealousy. They want to see AGDG have as minimal devs as possible, this is their game to nodevs.

nice

It's hard to catch someone for making terrorist threats when they're literally a crazy homeless man posting from overseas. Lucky for shitfam.

Games should be hard, like Dark Souls.

Nobody actually does that, do they? Like the key is right there.

they probably sniffed him out sooner or later and took a peak through his busted up 2009 acer laptop and saw all the hentai and the evidence that he's a genuine impotent loser in real life and decided he was just another crazy person of no value or real threat to anyone but himself
lucky for shitfam

Apparently it's a real thing

starting to understand the animator better, but its still pretty wonky

Things sure got sour after babby got his wrist slapped. Never change literallyinsanefam shitposters, never change.

Which is better, Unreal 4 or Unity?

and this masterpiece of gamedesign
truly an artist ahead of his time, hahahahahahahaha. :)

Unity is the ONLY way to make a game.

>14 posters in this thread
>74 posts

Posting hundreds of times in every AGDG thread doesn't make you a developer.

Posting hundreds of times in your shitty little anime thread that no devs want to be a part of, doesn't actually mean your thread is more popular.

You seem woefully unprepared to deal with the fact that nobody wants anything to do with you, your memes, or your failure of an existence as a nodev.

I sincerely feel sorry for your mother shitfam. When are you gonna make that game again? This week? Next week? Next month?

Unity's been what I've been learning to use so far, but I'm curious about UE4.

I know you said placeholder (I believe) but I could almost be 100% on board with the squishy cube because it honestly doesn't look bad at all. Maybe a different color though?

>1068x890
>he literally posts screenshots at this resolution
>he is literally shitposting from a potato
Holy hell, shitfam. Just... Wow. Just wow.

As soon as my laptop comes back from being repaired.

>1068x890
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Still """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""devving""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" from a literal potato, shitfam? Or do you honestly prefer "Reek" now? Riiiiiiiiiicolaaaaaaaaaaaa! :)

Made a webm, figured I'd post it in here as well.

This is the most you've ever amounted to in years of shitposting on agdg. Your legitimate efforts at game dev are your biggest shitposts. Just quit, shitfam.

Right on. Not sure I care for the purple font in the little buttons, or the wordwrap, but looks like some fun progress.

>that pic is literally the best he could do
>he thinks he has earned the right to post
fucking lol shitfam. fucking lol.

Those are placeholders for actual button icons. You can see what I'm going for with the pic of armor, sword, and shield for the equipment button.

Oh gotcha, I should have guessed. Looks nice. Only other thing is that blue on blue in the bars.

Ultimate """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""game designer""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" work, right here!

The GUI is colorable by the player, with a default color of blue. I need to consider what I need to do to mitigate stuff like that though, but the resolution is so small that it's difficult at times.

Holy fuck..... Did someone actually make this and think it's okay to post?

>he's changing the words of his posts a little after we called him out on being boring
This is basically an admission of wanting our acceptance. Stop being shy and just talk game development with us, shitter. I won't hold it against you. We can collab!

Her tits look too saggy.

Spent lots of time the other day making this flower enemy, glad it's working out pretty well.

Still have to give it real shading, palette, beam coloring, and find a way to make the beam automatically reach the end of the screen. But that's for another day.

has anyone in agdg actually ever played this

Probably doesn't exist anymore except for one PNG in an assholes shitposting folder.

That was me, shitfam. I called you boring. You're so predictable! Always false-flagging and cycling your posting style in the same way. You're mine, Reek. :)

Ok man, offer stands, I'd like seeing what you come up with game-wise.

Needed more storage-related enemies because this is a storage area.

So grunt with box. Also he activates switches.
Tomorrow I think I'm going to give him a box-throwing attack.