William Tyndale

Just learned about the man in this interesting documentary.

youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ

Is it true that Catholics burned him at the stake just because he translated the Bible into English? How can you justify this? Why was it so important for Catholics that the people didn't read the Bible?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tyndale

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AVOrQg8Wq0M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Peasants'_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War#Origins_of_the_war
youtube.com/watch?v=FIlmZKOirwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Catholics knew they would lose their authority if they allowed common people to read scripture

Besides the reformation movements that led to massive religious wars in Germany and France vicariously leading to shit like 30 years war killing millions and millions, nothing I guess

Yeah, that's it Paco, Catholicism is a religion of peace!

Yes, that's it Hans, protestants dindu nuffin, dey all good boys

But that is a political argument. But William Tyndale was tried for heresy...? What's so heretical about translating the Bible?

Let's ignore for a moment that your post is complete bullshit, if it were true it would imply the Catholic church is atheist, because they were more concerned with peace than spiritual truth

I don't care about theology in the slightest, you can't deny that Luther, translating the bible etc was the catalyst of everything that followed
If you had told him then what his "spiritual truth" would eventually lead to, do you think he would have still done it?

Even Erasmus at the time didn't think it was necessarily a good thing to open Christianity to interpretation of just everyone, and that's a dude who's known to be a great humanitarian philosophist

>you can't deny that Luther, translating the bible etc was the catalyst of everything that followed
Except that fact that in ALL the violence the Catholics started the war?

Here's a good biopic about him
youtube.com/watch?v=AVOrQg8Wq0M

The protestant reform in itself was already an attack on Catholicism
You start undermining my business, I'll take action

Was it worth it though? So that some German barley farmer could know what it said exactly (according to one translation) in the Bible

>The protestant reform in itself was already an attack on Catholicism
Ahahahahahahah
>You start undermining my business, I'll take action
So the church is a business now?
>Was it worth it though?
Yep
Considering Catholics started all the war, you're basically making an argument for cuckoldry

You sound like a secular political "realist".

I'd like hear the Catholic justification of this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Peasants'_War
Literally the first conflict listed in wikipedia less than a decade after Martin Luther's thesis

Do you even know what Luther said about that?
He always opposed it

Meanwhile the thirty years war, the bloodiest event until WW1, was started by a Catholic emperor trying to destroy Protestantism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War#Origins_of_the_war

Makes no difference, he still started it

>So the church is a business now?
Also, yes
Both a secular business and a spiritual business
They had this whole soul saving thing figured out at least according to them and then some yuppie comes along and starts shouting it's a corrupt unethical shitty business, here's how I'd change it and you should agree for the sake of your soul

>he still started it
No, Carlstadt did
>Both a secular business and a spiritual business
>They had this whole soul saving thing figured out at least according to them and then some yuppie comes along and starts shouting it's a corrupt unethical shitty business, here's how I'd change it and you should agree for the sake of your soul
Lad, it's time to stop posting

Y-you too, when all you can come up is memes

That is quite a machiavellian world view. "I need to protect the ignorant peasants from knowing the truth, and from what they'll do to themselves once they know the truth."

Irony

You mean orwellian

Yes, yes very good Papists. Just taking care of church business, eh? I get it. Very good indeed.

HOWEVER

youtube.com/watch?v=FIlmZKOirwU

You posted some music at them?

Early bible translations were opposed because church official considered them to twist the meaning of Bible. That's why they didn't like "independent" printers printing their bibles too.

And seriously, back in early modern era being bilingual was fairly common and so was learning latin. If somebody was literate he likely could learn himself latin if he wanted to read the bible.

Bullshit
The only way to learn Latin was through the Church, that's why there's such a thing as "eccliesiastical Latin"