/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Early Morning Best, Edition

>Waifu Jam (13 HOURS LEFT)
itch.io/jam/wj2016

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Game Dev Articles New article when?
boreal.aggydaggy.com

New Threads: Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Next DEMO DAY (Nine) #9
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous DEMO DAYs
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Sage
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thank you for posting best girl

in case you don't know about it, here's something cool
ithare.com

also I posted this a few days ago, but some people might've missed it gameaipro.com

WHO IS THAT ANIME GIRL AND WHY IS SHE ALWAYS IN THE OP

WHAT DOES SHE HAVE TO DO WITH GAME DEV?

1-3 - music
4-6 - programming
7-9 - 3d modelling
0 or dubs - sketch whilst listening to music

jesus I should really get started

vampire bit is pretty fun my only issue was that the controls seem a little sticky

what? who? why?

Programming is the truest dev anyway.

Never heard of a music developer or a art developer.

There are two kinds of people in the world, software developers and nodevs.

I'll ask here before I go with my implementation of a solution.

I have a lot of information in my save file, say, in total it's 50MB.
Saving and loading that would take probably 5-15 seconds~ (let's say, not actually testing it, but it isn't instant)

I want to save information every second, maybe some coordinates and some basic info about the game, nothing too much. Individually, it would take up maybe 5KB max if I serialized only what I needed to update frequently.

The problem is, right now I have a single save file, and if I update it, I have to update ALL of it.

>How do you/would you approach this?

My solution right now is to have a single class which stores extremely basic information and a list of strings which are filenames.
Then, I'll have individual chucks of info written to their own files.

When I go to save, I only have to save the info I want and the 'base file' that contains the filenames.
The end result is I may have hundreds of small files that I can update rapidly.

I feel there's a way I could turn all those files into 1 somehow, but I'm not sure how.
Though I don't think there would be a problem with what I'm doing since saving/loading tiny sizes only save a few milliseconds, which is fine since it runs on a different thread.

Programming it is.

0-4 - Enemy AI
5-9 - Targeting system

What is your question?

Gotta do it all if I want to achieve my dream, but it feels good to do programming.

>I want to save information every second
Why? Just keep it in memory and write it to a file on exit.
If you're worried about savescumming or whatever don't bother, cheaters gonna cheat.

SSD owners everywhere hate you.

splitting up a huge file to update it faster is the standard solution, yes

that said, 50mb of save data seems a tad ridiculous (unless you're talking about some huge proc gen'd world or something)

> the Linux choice
mmap the save file, write your position updates
> the nigger choice
sqlite
> the patrician choice
compress your save file, use LZ4 or other fast method such that it can be written faster

I think only game design is true game developement. A good physics engine or a smart AI in a maze does not make a game, however a well designed level, a celver puzzle mechanic does. I love this general, but it's kinda sad that what happens here is mostly art or programming discussion. That is the reason why seemingly promising concepts turn out to be average or bad games at demo days. Because we discuss what looks cool and not what plays fun.

As long as Unity can guarantee that it calls a function on exit, I'd be fine with it.

That'd be preferred, and I'm not worried about cheaters

Reminder to all nodevs or yesdevs having a break - play demoday/jam games and give feedback.

> make games you'd want to play

Anons, I have serious issue with this. The games I'd want to play are RPGs with
> deep story
> varied characters with development
> 100h content minimum
> great visuals
> music worthy of a symphony
> cutscenes and full voice acting

I literally can't make games I'd want to play, one lifetime is too short to become a great composer while mastering every other area in that as well.

My gf almost broke my dick with her thicc this morning

>compressing a file then writing it is faster
That's not necessarily true.
Compression time + writing smaller file might take longer than writing a larger file.

True.

Programming involves more design than art however, so programming discussion is more inclined to lead to game design discussion.

git gud.
Then:
just liek maek gaem.

Wisdom of the ages, son

Rolling. because I hace to do a little bit of everything and I don't know where to start

> Compression time + writing smaller file might take longer than writing a larger file.
Not everyone has pcie ssd, matey. It's certainly true for fast compression methods and hdds or slow ssds.

> git gud
I don't have enough time senpai. I'll be dead before I've mastered half the skills needed.

> make games you'd want to play
what is it?

> deep story
what is it?

> varied characters with development
how?

> 100h content minimum
what content?

> great visuals
again how?

> music worthy of a symphony
like what?

> cutscenes and full voice acting
why?

to be honest you dont know what you want in an rpg...
how about you sit down and detail what you want, eventually you will find its not impossible...
if you know what you want that is of course

Ok I beat the dragon, shot the weird pink bunny things and sucked some villagers. All nice waifu jam games, good job devs.

All that's left is Waifu Quest. Is that actually a real game? It's 60mb and there's no proper screenshots.

I know exactly what I want, it seems you don't know what you're talking about.

> what is deep story
> how to make interesting characters
read moar
> what content
Game content, moron
> how visuals
That question doesn't even English
> like what music
Shedneryan, FF6, some of Nightwish
> why cutscenes and voice acting
It increases immersion like you wouldn't believe.

>"Well, it's not possible to create the perfect game, so why bother making any game at all?"
If you're gonna be a 1MA you have to limit your ambitions to something that's feasible for 1 person to do in a reasoanble amount of time.

Figure out exacly what game you'd want, and then try to narrow that idea down to its core and make it as small and simple as possible, while keeping in mind what you except to personally achieve not only code-wise, but also graphically and musically. If you're not happy with the idea that you end up with, you need to either git gud, come up with another idea, or not be a 1MA, or any combination of the three.

these threads huh

>or not be a 1MA
That's a shit suggestion.
1MA is the only way.

> know exactly what I want
then go turn it to a game, easy as that, provided you have the expected dedication... i'll be here waiting

He posted a webm to the thread when he first released it. I don't think it's a virus or anything. It looks like a standard Unity game.

It's not about >perfect, rather it's about >enjoyable at all. I'm not able to create a game I'd enjoy in this lifetime.

> then do simpler games
I've finished more games than 90% of agdg. It obviously doesn't satisfy me when it's done for trying tech out, or money, or for others.

> git gud
Gief immortality.

> not be 1MA
Gief million dollars so I can hire people.

> then go turn it into a game
Which part of "it takes longer than I'll live" do you not understand?

>60mb

Yeah the executable of an empty Unity project, amirite

Go give up somewhere else, nobody wants to hear you gripe and refuse advice

Dreaming big might seem to be a good thing, but actually it is not. Like others have said it, you think you have an actual vision, but in reality, you don't. Having astonishing cut scenes, ear blowing orchestras, waifu characters and Tolkien level fantasy story does not make a game. What makes a game is concept. Tetris has become a well know game because it's concept is simple, the game play is easy to understand yet it is deep under the surface.

"Just" find your concept. Find that story which you want to tell the most, then find the elements which can help you tell this story. Many like to shit on Undertale, but it is the prime example of this. The dev realized that he does not need good graphics to tell the story which he had in mind. Hell, in the end, it even adds more to the whole experience and to de-constructive game play.

Explosions don't make a movie, user, but there might be explosions in a movie if they have a reasonable place in it.

>pink bunny things
Weird. They were meant to be brown.
Maybe I need to calibrate my monitor.

new jam idea

call it "just like fly plane"

theme is planes

That theme sounds plane boring.

Dreaming big and then figuring out what the core concept of that dream is is a good exercise in design. Indie games succeed based off really solid core concepts. Keep dreaming and then take those dreams and apply design principles until you have a viable concept.

Getting rid of unnecessary components that don't add anything to whatever experience you're trying to evoke in the player is the core of good game design.

jam idea
make a game

>nightwish
>voice acting

disgusting desu

I'm glad you enjoyed sucking those villagers, user. I wanted to make an actual animation for it but didn't manage to make it look good in time. Someday, maybe.

They looked brown to me, but I'm somewhat color blind.
Anyway, I liked your game, senpai.

jam idea
make money with game

The thing is, I don't much care about game mechanics, I play for the story. If it had astonishing cut scenes, ear blowing orchestras, waifu characters and Tolkien level fantasy story, I'd play it even if the game mechanics consisted of cookie clicking.

> Explosions don't make a movie
This is something we frequently fight over here. I say a good story makes a game, and the job of gameplay is to advance the story. This in turn makes a lot of anons really buttmad for some reason.

>implying you need huge budget 3d graphics to make interesting characters and story

you need some VN tier emotive sprites and good writing, that's it. you can tell your big story on a budget of a few thousand dollars

>i have insane standards but i would never work with someone else because he would kill my vision

get in line faggot

Did you intentionally target some console, given the looks? It looks doable on a SNES or Genesis, a bit too much for NES.

user, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think you want to make movie. Or write a book. Maybe a comic?

hey adgd

rate my party

Well, if he wants to make a AAA game, and can't settle for anything else, clearly 1MA isn't a feasible solution for him.

You seem to be entirely focused on the problem, rather than on looking for solutions. If you honestly feel that the only way you could make an "enjoyable" game is if you were either a millionaire or you were immortal, you're simply being ridiculous and entirely dismissive of any possible solutions.

Also
>user, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think you want to make movie
It really does seem like you're talking about a dream-movie, rather than a dream-game.

>make her close her eyes
>suddenly looks 100x times better
wew

I would work with others, but I can't afford to hire them, and no good artists or musicians work pro bono or for a future cut.

This is also something we fight over often. It needs to be a game, because the immersion is magnitudes higher vs a book, a movie, or any other medium when your choices affect things.

Your artstyle is like early 2000s webcomics.

Pretty good collection of cliches. Have at least 2 be non-cis and you're golden, the rogue and blackadin are good choices.. I'd also add a unifying colour or uniform piece or something to all of them.

Thanks man. I really like your game too. Your graphics were really solid and consistent and your gameplay seemed a lot more focused than mine.
What engine was that?

I recognize that middle guy, though it's been a while.
You're doing that rpg with the first person battle screen, right?

>Pokémon Sage is an upcoming role-playing video game developed by members of the Veeky Forums board /vp/. Sage is a fangame of the Pokémon game series with an entirely new region, plot, and cast of human characters and Pokémon creatures.

they have 50+ devs all working on this game, not counting the artists/musicians/etc

they literally have more devs than all of /agdg/, collaborating together on a single game

is this the true power of pokemon-ism?

How much time have they been working on it?
How much new stuff is there aside from new pokémon?
When is it coming out?

Be bretty good if it actually materializes, but the power of pokemonism dwarfs in front of waifuism, and KS was barely completed.

> The game's development began in 2011
RIP

>they started literally 5 years ago and still have nothing to show for it

Yeah, I mostly followed NES restrictions.

>Game resolution.
>Palette colors and the way they can be used (amount of total colors, and how many of them you can use in a group of tiles or on a sprite)
>Sprite sizes
>Amount of channels for the music and sound effects

I probably went over the top with the amount of actual tiles on the background, and the amount of sprites on screen, (it would probably cause a shit ton of flickering on a real NES), and the yellow layer on top of everything when the sun rises (it can be done on a real NES but the effect won't be that noticeable.)

Maybe some day I'll get back to it to add all the ideas I had in mind and double check the limitations to make it even more accurate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Sage

I don't know what the current state is.

...I guess one of us could go to /vp/ to find out...

The majority of those 'devs' probably chipped in one pokemon design to get into the credits.
I seriously doubt there's more than 5 tops actual devs working on it.

not really relevant to agdg. this is a general for amateurs creating their own original content, not idea guys wanking over corporate IPs

So I want to implement a targeting system in my unity game.

I was thinking about having a child gameobject with a box trigger collider and having a lookat event when an object with the enemy tag comes in to that range.

Does this sound like the best way to go about it?

>5 years dev time
>Using RPG maker
>Using prebuilt scripts to turn RPG maker into pokemon maker
>Still not finished
Game's never going to be finished.

ok you convinced me to try waifu quest

i don't know what i expected

(still i like this sort of shitpost game, the victory screen was satisfying)

You could get it made for a real NES, physical release and all, if you can get the limitations squared. If not, SNES or Gen are good targets - much more sprites, I'd say hellish flicker would take a bit away from the enjoyment.

t. console dev

Cute as fuck, user.
I loved the witch game, played it a few times last night and this morning my roomate asked me why I was trying to murder my spacebar. Yu know? I would totally play a full RPG game with those Dance Dance mechanics for fights.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it too.
A really, really, old version 6.1 of Game Maker
I'm very used to it so I'm pretty comfy working on it, and I can run both the engine and all the stuff I make even on a potato.

>You could get it made for a real NES, physical release and all
To be honest, that would be a dream made true for me. Playing NES games as a kid is when my whole "I wanna make a game" thing started.
I tried learning Assembler for NES games, but it the end it was a real pain in the ass. I admire the knowledge and patience of console devs.

Thanks, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
I was thinking of expanding on it myself, both making the casting system more complex and varied, and making into an actual RPG with overworld, story, different spells and enemy etc.
I'll put it into my "game ideas" folder and go back to it eventually.

Please, do. I would play the hell out of it, and I can see a lot of people doing it too. It could even work great as a mobile game.

this is a good lowpoly character, do you have a blog

Thanks. I only have itch.io, sorry.
I guess I will make a blog when I have something concrete to show for my main game so not anytime soon ;_;

post wires pls

With the patents expired, there's several companies making new physical games for NES, SNES, Gen, GBA and a few others. You could hire some, and some have publishing programs.

There's little need for asm unless you run into performance constraints, most of what I write for NES is in C. I've made several NES games, and a few of them are already in physical distribution.

If you want to make it a reality, look up 8bit evolution, they have a setup for people like you, though the bare program assumes a ready game - if you need programming and music too, the terms might change a bit. But finish the game first, and check limitations, so that there's more to work with.

Is this ok?

sorry for the adgd bait.

indeed. can I roll with it, though?

indeed. made some solid progress in the meantime.

Your models got really good since last year.

Unity now requires you to have a paid subscription to create multiplayer games.

>dropped

yes thanks

That sounds great, I'll keep working on it then.
Thanks for the advice!

Haha, that's true! Watching those Sebastian Lague's tutorials helped a huge deal.

>multiplayer indie game

what is risk of rain?

I hate this because I'm creating a multiplayer game too.

Doesn't it say 20 users, right there?

>superman's skeleton is a superskeleton
spooky

What game are you making that needs more than 20 players at once?

I think you should learn to read first.
>20 concurrent players

I might give them a watch if it means there's a chance I can get models as good as yours.

Just set up a tumblr blog and post the progress you post here, so there will be a collection if someone would be interested in your development process.

20 concurrent connections are pretty low, considering a strategy game that may go on for about an hour each session.

Technically you can still use the old raknet API or any other external API.
That said, what is up with the criminally low CCU numbers on all the network providers?! Photon is the same. 20 CCU is complete bullshit, a game that has any success has at least 100 concurrent players at any time, heck even back in the modem days, fallout tactics (that was hated by the fallout community) had 300+ players.
Anyone have any experience with the steamworks P2P? I'm considering switching to that, just worried the punchthrough/relay service is not reliable enough.

No it's not? Not even Doto needs more than that.

CCU is a global limit, not per game/lobby.
No more than 20 ppl in the entire world can play at the same time.

Source?

what? Dota has millions of concurrent players.

You're talking about free software here. Not to mention If you have peer to peer connection this has basically no effect.

that doesnt sound right

Any kind of MMO is discarded.

Granted, I'm basing my claim on my interpretation of the Photon EULA, Unity might be less retarded about it, but I doubt they are any less money-grubby.

I think I will have to drop Unity at this point. There's no guarantee that they will not restrict more stuff in the future.

Anybody know a game framework with an entity component system that is not complete garbage?