Monster Hunter General - /mhg/

Stop wanting to fuck cats, please edition

>Great news!
-Monster Hunter Generations along with special edition N3DS XLs to release July 15.
-English Patch for Monster Hunter Online is out now kogath.com/TeamHD/

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

kiranico.com/en/mh4u
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243 / Search
In 4U, Target: Fishing (it's 4 to the left)
In X, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)

tinyurl.com
/weeaboos

Tags: MHGen, MHX, MH4U, MH3U, MHO, MHFU, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W1u29mR0-dA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Daily reminder

>
Yeah it was that is there any way I can get it?

>having fun in MHO
>keep dc'ing mid hunts

Well fuck. English servers when?

I want one.

How big is MHO/Updates/Eng Patch? Less than 10gb?

The high rank event quest Uniqlo: Materials Needed.

Thanks

I love Rathian.

You're looking at a 16gb total.
Hurray for fluid day and night cycles.

I wanted to play female in MHGen but after seeing what they did with deviant armor sets I might have to give up and go male again.

such a shame, deviant rathian and gamuto bm armor look fantastic

Assuming best case scenario, what would you guys like in mh5?

At least graphicsfags can shut up now.

>fluid
Unless they changed it in a patch since last time I played it would suddenly flash from morning to day to afternoon to dusk to evening to night and so on. It just usually happens while you're out on a quest so you wouldn't see it.

I wish I had your hopeful optimism.

Some added moves blatantly ripped off from MHO/frontier's better shit (lance turning sharply during a charge but having to re-accelerate, gunlance being able to be set on fire for additional damage and getting a second back/sidestep with a shell (is that already in X? I think I saw that), HH being able to store recited songs for later replaying, etc). Being on a better platform than the fucking 3ds/n3ds, or at least taking advantage of n3ds's hardware like 4U and not being a fucking abortion like X. Familiars that aren't cats, I don't care if it's shakas or some kind of bug or whatever, it's not even about AI because they could just give the cats better AI; I just can't stand constant mewling. Removal of verticality as the main gimmick, mounted combat as the new gimmick.

>everything in various shades of brown throughout most of the game

i wanna fuck those cats

Didn't see much brown when I was playing through.

dirty brown chinese nipples

>g rank black flame rathalos
great

literally only in the desert area where everything should be brown, there's still a lot of red, yellow, green and of course the blue sky there though

I guess around dawn/dusk things look pretty brown (or orange, rather) too, but again, as they should

>literally only in the desert area

I wish it were so. There is a brown tint to almost ~90% of the game's contents.

Just installed the english patch. How do you screenshot in-game?

How bad are the GS nerfs in X?
Thinking about picking up the master race meme starting X, but if it's not be best anymore then...

OO--

Capcom doesn't even own an IP that can sell 4 million copies.

Either your monitor is probably poorly calibrated or you're just full of shit. There's about as much colour barfed everywhere as in fourth gen, it's just not as high-contrast and bloomy so it doesn't look as terrible.

I use fraps. It's super easy to pirate, the free trial version only lets you take screenshots in bmp iirc so you'd have to manually convert them to png/jpg to upload to Veeky Forums and they'd take up much more space.

Hey look it's the other 10%.

derp.
60-7438-6186-7091

how do i get drive wystone

It's not the best in 4U, IG is. GS is only second.

In X the "meta" is still shifting rapidly but as far as I know the three best weapons so far seem to be lance, bow and sns. Coincidentally my three favourite weapons!

Sure kiddo.

You have to do the wyceum quests and villager requests from the wycoon. GH has a detailed guide
youtube.com/watch?v=W1u29mR0-dA

Clear the main storyline in Caravan high rank (beat Rusted Kushala in the Battlequarters) then clear two of the following gathering hall quests:

G1: Tiger Sharq
G2: Escaped Convicts
G2: Spider Study
G3: Lab Partners

This will unlock a villager request that gets you drive and element. Clearing all four unlocks a second wystone slot.

I wish I were a Garuga.

i dont want to watch e-celeb wannabe videos

You'll just have to google it or pay more attention in-game then.

How good is MHO anyway? Is it actually like MH (just on a PC), or is it a pay2win grindfest MMO?

It looks good (aside from animations) and that's it.

It's not like it really needs a 3 minute video anyway. See

thx
u da real e-celeb, Anonymous
pls dont hack me

>make female hunter
>get cheda blade the second I hit HighRank because super sonic seregios only requires HR 4
>Have cheda blade and the materials for sonic cats before starting caravan

I remember when X came out everyone was talking about how good blunt edge was. Is it still considered a good skill now that the game has been out awhile? There's a couple lances that have tons of green and very high raw but no element and I'm wondering how those fare against higher sharpness elemental lances.

Back to 4U and X then I guess. Fuck that.

lol

So far, it seems pay2win since hunting isn't infinite. You're given hunting passes or sum shit. You get 20 to start if I recall but you seem to able to get them from quests. Wouldn't be surprised if they costed an arm and a leg at NPCs and cheap with cash.

It's weird because on PC this how I've always wanted to play bow, mouse and keyboard, plus the damage numbers are concrete indicators of quality headshots and critical range. Now that I finally have it feels like a generic MMO, reminds me of Vindcitus minus the class lock. All the interesting learning curve obstacles around the game are vanishing. Never been this torn.

>tfw you've spent the last 4 hours grinding for a fucking Pale Bone

It's Attack Up Medium for 10 points. It's good, but not as great as people make it out to be. It's a waste if you're trying to fit Mind's Eye in too. Not that you'll be bouncing that much, since you only need hitzones of 24+.

I have been grinding both gravios palliums.

>Is it actually like MH (just on a PC),
closer to this.

Cons:
>limited hunts that refresh in different ways per day/week. Hard to run out but still possible and shouldn't be the case to begin with
>REALLY bad sound direction. Music is good but basically everything else is bad and the way sounds are played (music cutting in and out when you enter/exit an area with a monster instead of fading, for instance) is generally bad too
>only has Chinese servers, so enjoy having 300 ping in a server with 300 Pings if you live anywhere that isn't close to China
>a couple of the new monsters are just gypceros reskins that play like shittier brachydios
>apparently poor controller support, I don't use a controller so this is hearsay on my part

???/personal taste:
>weapons have different post-second-gen moves from mainline. For instance, there's no sns backhop, but it gets attacking dodges to the left and right
>weapons have ultimate moves that can be used when a rage meter fills up by getting hit a lot or gradually over time. Some moves are really anime like charging past the monster with LS and then nothin personnel kid, some are more tame like using gunlance as a flamethrower. Each weapon has two
>there's a cash shop for cosmetic/costume items (and there's cosmetic slots, so you can wear real armour underneath), doesn't have pay-to-win things as far as I know but does have pay-to-not-lose-if-you're-a-shitter things like potions that don't stack with normal potions and tickets that let you cart extra times
>numerical damage indicators in addition to blood gushes. Can be turned off if you want a "pure" experience though
>zenny is scarce, in-game currency is actually valuable and weapons are no cheaper to upgrade than in mainline

Pros:
>excellent keyboard and mouse support
>basically everything else, it's monster hunter at its core

What are the chances of being able to transfer JP save of MHX when Generations comes out? I don't feel like doing the abysmal village again

At least that's a somewhat low drop rate, it shouldn't be taking me this long to get a fucking 15% drop

Natively? Non-existent. Vuze or someone might make a converter, but don't expect it to be sooner than two weeks to a month in.

You get 10 passes every day to a maximum of 30 and 10 reserve passes on thursdays, up to 20 reserve passes, and you can transfer any number of reserve passes you have to your main passes at any time. You can purchase a token from an npc for like 100 zenny once a day that can be traded for one pass at any time and doesn't have a cap to how many you can have, it's an item box item. You also sometimes get these tokens as daily free shit.

Basically it's actually very difficult to run out.

With save data filer or something I mean. I know MHX saves are unencrypted so I guess it will just come down to how the game reads the save

>Need 85% tail carve
>Fail to get it 8 hunts in a row

Thanks for correcting me. Only level 8 at this point but are there any actual red flags?

see NA/EU servers never

That's honestly not completely terrible. I don't mind the idea of doing 30 hunts and then taking a break from the game for a few days.

I can see it being infuriating when the hunt in question takes 2 to 5 minutes to complete and refuses to drop the low % item you need.

does savedatafiler support extdata?
you can use JKSM or some other extdata dump/import but there's no guarantee it'll work since we don't have Gens yet to see if it'll blindly accept imported data

That's the main thing, only time I ever got close to running out was when I needed two basarios tears. That took me all day though because at the time basarios was close to a 10 minute hunt for me.

Also a good point.

Yeah you can export extdata. I know it was possible to transfer EU to US save in MH4U using JKSM and editing the title ID or something but I don't know if it'd be harder or the same if it's the JP version

What server are we even on for MHO?

Preferably the one with the least possible chink ping. We're all east coast right?

you think you own whatever land you land on
the earth is just a dead thing you can claim
but i know every rock and tree and creature
has a life, has a spirit, has a name

Actually read that. All the gripes were meh to me. If anything I like the vanilla movesets and the connections were never a problem, especially since I'm going and staying lonehunta.

Since the cashshop is mostly costumes I'd would gladly shill my ass off if it came to the west. Always wanted costume slots in monhun. Fashion huntan and clowsuitan no longer conflicting? Sign me up.

The funny thing is that I could care less about the locked moves, the default lance already gives me the upwards poke, tencent can suck a fat one.

Honestly I really don't like the concept of costumes for the actual hunt themselves.
If you're hunting with someone it's nice to be able to piece together at least some semblance of their skills simply by seeing what they are wearing.
Someone running around in diapers but has great skills just makes it frustrating since then you either have to ask what the actual pieces are or look at them individually.

Lobby sets are fine though.
Giving people an area to strut around looking nice is fun.

I've always thought the same about cosmetic slots in MH. Honestly all I'd want is a better color editor or something so that you can make your clown suits blend better.

Locked moves unlock by doing a certain questline where you have to hunt certain monsters, ultimates unlock at a certain point in the story. The hard thing is the weapon talents or whatever which require you to go on unstable hunts to get rng token that you need five of the same kind of (you usually/always get one that's relevant to your weapon, at least, and can break them down into one half-token where two can be used to craft one full token of your choice) to activate one of them. Those are mostly the equivalent of mid-tier armour skills that are always active, like giving you wind res while doing a HH recital I think was one.

Anyone want to hunt Rajang/Dalamadur?

63-7546-3394-3342

it looks pretty, but it just looks like a chinese mmo and not monster hunter

You don't actually want monster hunter.

What are you saying?

>every single giant monster is a damage sponge that you wail on while it occasionally attacks
>tedious as fuck to fight solo
>quests still don't adapt properly based upon how many people are doing them, to prevent them from being too easy (with 4 people) or too long/tedious (with 1 person)

Is there any reason Capcom can't make a good giant monster fight?

If monsters scaled there would be no incentive to play with others. Besides you can finish most online quests solo in 5-10 minutes so what's the problem?

OO--

>If monsters scaled there would be no incentive to play with others

It'd stop shitters from getting carried.

Because I find it dumb.

>no incentive to solo hunt when you can plow through quests in below 5 minutes with 4 people
>village quests STILL don't have G Rank/etc
>hunting solo with certain weapons such as HBG is considerably different than hunting with 4 people
>felynes/shakas are utter shit and also take less aggro than a person in a 4 party room (the monster chases you/other players more than the cats)

Just offer an incentive to solo hunt dammit. Make certain monsters exclusive to village, have increased drop rates, or so on.

>If monsters scaled there would be no incentive to play with others
The fun of hunting together?

Anyone willing to host a room to help a HR4 kill Stiggy ziggy a couple times in infernal overlord?

The incentive is to prove that you don't need other people to do well.

>you dont actually want monster hunter
what did user mean by this?

scaling is a meme when you factor in multiple competent players. Look at dork souls 3, you can summon a mini army and the scaling won't do shit because the ai isn't genius enough to deal with four people.

>tfw I really like fighting gog but he takes me like 25 minutes to solo

Hi /mhg/, a bud and I are looking for a Golden Rajang guild quest in MH4U and if a cool user could share that would be great.

>The incentive is to prove that you don't need other people to do well.

It's not even remotely hard to "do well" solo. Shit like Teostra SnS + full Empress in MH4U is enough to wreck anything's shit in under 7 minutes. All you need is a few traps/bombs, and you're good to go.

How about give the monsters competent AI then? It's not particularly fun to see most monsters dash around like a headless chicken, grunt for a few seconds while making themselves vulnerable, and then repeating it.

Why do you need incentive? Solo hunting is fun already and 90% of my hunts are solo. The only thing I find annoying about solo hunts are things like gog and dala.

>It's not particularly fun to see most monsters dash around like a headless chicken, grunt for a few seconds while making themselves vulnerable, and then repeating it.
This is why I hate 99% of Gen 1 and 2

another con (at least for me) and it could just be where i am in the game

monsters feel too easy and take very little time to completely kill, even the group quests. monsters take very little of my health, even in attacks that feel pretty powerful. i haven't had to use a single health potion at all.

>The only thing I find annoying about solo hunts are things like gog and dala.

That's the point. Giant monsters are a fucking chore to solo due to being HP sponges. Adjust them accordingly for solo hunts.

The funny thing is that the newcomers in MHX don't do that at all. Dinovaldo is highly aggressive and always stays on point, for example. Meanwhile, Raths, Garuga, and Khezu still act like brainless retards.

By "Gen 1 and 2" I meant the first two generations of MH, Not MHX

Obviously, but Rath and the other old monsters still act like idiots even in MHX. It's actually really jarring when you put them next to new monsters like Brachy or Dino, both of which act intelligently, especially Dino.

>cancels his attacks if you move out of the way early enough
>never uses a close range attack if you're far away, and vice versa
>always follows you instead of charging around like a drunk
>despite this, you can counter the fuck out of him by nailing him in the face at key moments

Can we settle on a Veeky Forums "approved" MHO server? I've started a character on this one, but I'm open to swap to something else if you've invested elsewhere.

What is that edgy looking thing in the background?