/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Euph, Edition

>Waifu Jam (OVER) Go play some games
itch.io/jam/wj2016

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Game Dev Articles
boreal.aggydaggy.com

New Threads: Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Next DEMO DAY (Nine) #9
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous DEMO DAYs
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

aseprite.org/download/
youtube.com/watch?v=_6CPSTzO4s0
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bully Ai ships.

teach me

reposting progress from the end of the last thread
looks like ass but at least its moving to the beat~
a kind user recommended using shaders and all that jazz and I instantly thought of using Earthbound-like backgrounds, would that be a good idea?

Hey, how would I do collision detection against polygons that aren't squares or circles?

alt+f4

love the OP pic

vs point.

alt+f4 your life

I like MMBN's scrolling backgrounds better.

triggered much senpai :^)

Whats up with the engines freaking out?

Okay, here's what you do:

buy my mixtape

That's the actual weld point being rapidly stressed by the fly-by-wire control thrusters. The joint bends, which moves the ship, which tells the system to cut that shit out. Oscillation ensue. Its a feature, I think.

I can see how that would make sense. However, the way that polygons are generated in my game don't have vertices let alone vectors.

>but UE4s BP is so slow!
Not anymore fags!

Got pyxel edit today, this is pretty fun. Gamedev here i come!

Welcome to 3 weeks ago.

then it depends on how your poligons are generated

Just learn fucking C++.

why?

SOMEONE POST ASEPRITE PLEASE

UE4 games which run like shit do so because the devs don't know about asset optimisation, not because they used blueprints.

ASEPRITE

>However, the way that polygons are generated in my game don't have vertices let alone vectors.
I'm not sure a shape that can't be described by vertices could be considered a polygon.
Are you saying you have a set of overlapping faces or something? I'm pretty sure you should be able to find a way of generating verticies from that..

Perhaps just describe it a little.

seriously how complex is it to make a custom ship builder and have it behave as a whole? Is it as simple as altering the rigidbody's center of mass and other features based on the position and weight of its components? How automatic/complex is it to make once you have the physics engine?

someone should just make a fucking compile and put it on the op but everything are too lazy

WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH ASEPRITE?

It's a voronoi system, so I am not certain how I would find the points on each polygon, since they have a variant amount.

Because you're trying to avoid the inevitable.

i just want to use it m8

So you mean that each polygon is described by a simple set of points?

which is?

Windows, OSX, or Linux?

Added some minor effects for water. I'm not sure how to do something crazy like making the water all wavy and such though.

How it works currently is it is literally a region of the screen coloured in dependent on their proximity to a point.

Learning c++ because you realize there's no real alternative and visual coding will always be shit until we have super advanced AR.

>cooking BP to C++
If that'd help then the had a terrible blueprint implementation.

The problem with non-native code formats is that if they had the specificity that native code has then they'd just be a native code wrapper.

It's not complicated. The only advantage these things have is that if they leave enough up to the compiler they compiler can do smart stuff. With native code your programmer expects the result of the individual operations to be as expected. When you just define a process like you would in BP's for instance you can have the compiler optimize for cache-line misses etc.

Sadly we don't see that happen most of the time. Best we've seen tends to be JIT which gets you up to maybe decent rather than piss poor.

Translating blueprints like this doesn't make much sense because the representation the compiler comes up with is just what you've happened to write there. Recreating a BP from scratch in C would be much better simply because the effort of fixing the code the cooking process creates is a larger hassle than rewriting it usually (assuming you wanted to get something out of the translation, assuming they weren't retarded, see top of my post).

windows

i want to make a lewd game but don't know what kind of gameplay to put in it

Space out the air bubbles. They currently are popping out at exact, evenly space intervals and its kinda jarring.

Otherwise, excellent progress, senpai

literally any

I know c++. I use BP until it gets to messy/slow (which now very rarely will happen) and then i just abstract computationally heavy/complex parts into c++.

Anyone who dismisses blueprints just because its "visual/block programming" has failed to understand how much quicker it is to use and debug compared to c++. I have respect for people who stick entirely to c++ but blueprints is useful to alot of people.

aseprite.org/download/
Click 'older versions'.

you need to be able to play with one hand

also i'd rather not just make a normal game with lewd tacked onto it like most do. i hate that. like making a metroidvania where the monsters only rape you when you die,w hat's the point?

>2012 version

cmon mate step it up yeah

What y'all think? Stage 1 of my game.

youtube.com/watch?v=_6CPSTzO4s0

it't would help since BP are compiled at runtime.
Games like mayhem league will definitely benefit from tis

Depends. Hey, want a horrifically compressed video of me adding a thing on a thing?

No, but for real it has to do with a whole lot of special little nonsense that has nothing to do with a physics engine. Build the builder first if you're into doing this. Make the physics work for it, rather than the other way around.

that has nothing to do with the metroidvania gameplay. you could as easily make a metoridvania where you attack by bouncing your tits at the enemies. literally any game can be a lewd game

PS these are clips from 10 separate levels that make up the stage (not one long level).

An RPG with the ability to incite a mass-effect style sex scene on almost anyone as a means to an end. See a monster girl? Rape it so it doesn't eat you. Prices too high? Give that properly raised christian girl store clerk a look into the magical world of anal.

That'd be somewhat entertaining.

Literally got the newest compiled version for free with a 10 second google search

What I think is that if you finish this and get the word out effectively, and give it a simple but intense premise like "girlfriend kidnapped: rescue her" or some shit, you will be the next /agdg/ success story.

>I have respect for people who stick entirely to c++ but blueprints is useful to a lot of people.
No you clearly don't have respect for people who stick entirely to C++.
>Anyone who dismisses blueprints just because its "visual/block programming" has failed to understand how much quicker it is to use and debug.
And you're right not to. People who stick to C++ for that reason are dumb. The iteration time on C++ code is C++ issues really. There's no reason it should be this way other than that the C++ committee is being retarded.

I have no doubt this stuff will get fixed when we leave C++.
Sounds like that's a release build-step. Surely you could automate this. Assuming you're not way out of your depth and shouldn't be using something as heavy as UE4. (or any other engine written by someone other than yourself)

Spelunky: Clunky Edition

anywhere i can follow your progress? what are you making with it besides shooting and flying?

Wait. Is asprite free?
What's this github I found.
Why is there a paywall on the download but there's this github?
This makes no sense.

would you think i've copied your idea if it would be generally the same end result but with radically different builder?

i've had my idea for a long time but after seeing this i'm starting to have an existential crisis

Its for artists not smart enough to compile it.

>Its for artists not smart enough to compile it.
That is pretty funny. So you make the target audience pay but not everyone else.
Not that I think this is the sort of project where people pay about paying this very insignificant sum. But still.

>struggling to yesdev
>share a little about my depression/problems
>"oh user youre just tired"

Thanks, but are you being serious about the girlfriend thing? Isn't that a bit cliched?

Get out whodev

I was planning on doing something like Yandere Dev's bi-weekly blog thing, but my voice isn't quite a sultry and nice to listen too.

Less podcast, more livestream. I'll figure something out. Until then, I'm shiposting on my twitter.

www.twitter.com/muzzledelk

>beside shooting and flying

Well, thats the gist of it. Its going to be 1v1 dueling multiplayer gameplay with an ingame economy based around gambling with ingame currency that you can only earn in winning matches, or by building a vessel for another player that does well.

We're adding AI for the fuck of it, mostly to do with a single-player-ish campaign thing I'm going to be ripping off of Ace Combat for the story and characters.

Don't worry about it,. I can promise your game will be vastly different. I somehow doubt you're going to have a complex resource and power system with proper projectile physics that give you the ability to bounce rounds.

If anything I crave more games like this, and the only reason I'm making it is because I desperately want to play it.

It makes perfect sense.

It's made by practically one guy. It's open source and completely free, but he sells binaries as a convenience for idiots like you.

It looks promising. The music really gives it an epic vibe, yet I wonder how the game (and the controls) actually feels like. I don't get the setting. Are you in the future? The Nth dimension? It makes hard to relate to the world and the character. Maybe knowing the backstory helps.

Other than this, you have one of the most clever level designs I have seen among /agdg/ games so far. It's hard to explain why, but it really shows that you have put a lot of effort into the challenges, and the different obstacles has a great chemistry with the platforms and your skill set. Great job on that.

How about this?

It looks clunky? Isn't spelunky randomly generated? These are all hand-made levels.

>idiots like you.
Uncalled for. I was asking why there was a paywall. I have been using the trial version because I assumed it wasn't free. Just gonna compile it now.

It is cliche, and I wasn't saying do it; I was giving a really obvious example of the KIND of hook you want. Something easy to understand, that makes you want to get to the end.

Also, you better have boss fights. Unless this is some procedurally generated thing (hello, Spelunky!) boss fights MAKE platformers like this.

>/agdg/ so bad it has to import success stories

>whodev
Literally the most retarded term on this general. We should be encouraging devs to post here.

Yes, but not almost finished games. That's called shilling.

Not the same guy but thats better, i'd also make them have variable size and change the x coordinate +-1 randomly aswell.

Preeetty.

Your movement system is way too slow and feels spongey and clunky.

Its a file template formula for indie success. Microsoft word will give you the doc template layout if you press ALT+F4+8.

There's still way to many bubbles, but I'm just nitpicking at this point.

Just remember: if you were swimming, just how many air bubbles could you possibly make underwater until you were completely out of breath?

Then you don't know what a whodev is

Thank you. Basically, you are hunting down alien loot in caves. Could be the future, could be right now, in another galaxy I guess.

>jumps in
>posts 'progress' which is just a preview of his game
>jumps out
>user defends the whodev
It's fine if you post progress. This isn't progress. This is just "stage 1 of my game".
>almost finished
Are you insane?

will you upload it to dropbox because I am one of these "idiots" he is talking about who doesnt know how to compile it.

Not very many, usually those bubbles come from clothing and hair and other nonsense. Very few people I know exhale while underwater.

Define it for us then, webster.

You need a compiler.

progress.

>"idiots"
>" "
I won't because you used those quotes.
Anyhow you can easily find it. As user said.

here he goes

>posting a stage 1 isn't progress

What the fuck? Anything that isn't a finished game is progress, as long as the dev has worked on it recently.

It's nowhere near finished.

You just can't do it either. That's fine but no need to lie.

>the 'i mock you to get you to do what I want strategy'
Do you think this is a game or something? Why do you think this would work user.

Well, the squid thing with the 3 eyes towards the end is a mini-boss. That's all I got.

Fuck, I need to make more bosses.

why not admit you just cant do it

I don't think it will work, I just think the "ha ha I can do something and u can't" is pretty pathetic and juvenile.

I'll just keep using the old version.

what engine is this and how do you intend to implement multiplayer? Aren't you scared the player count will be too low to justify a flourishing economy?

Looks like a cute lil' sweaty_palms.jpg platformer.

Good work.

>I'll just keep using the old version.
Or you could pay for the software according to the devs wishes?
Seriously. Do you think I'l support someone that's effectively a pirate for a development tool?
This is how you get kids to jump off buildings you know. Stop it user. I can't handle peer pressure.

I dont think you can jump off a building either

finally!

Awfully small pre-rendered image there user.

Ten years. Ten years of """""""""""""""""game dev"""""""""""" culminated in this image. See what Source can do for you? Hahahahahahahahaha.

Thank you, it should make your palms sweaty, but there are no lives/infinite continues, so that should make it easier.