Virginia
Ohio
Florida
California
Texas
Hawaii
NYC
D.C.

What's the point of this thread if none of these were ever sovereign and you burgers aren't really discussing anything?

fascinating and long: New Mexico, Virginia, Massachusetts, New York

interesting but not as long: Utah, Louisiana, Hawaii, California, Alaska

boring: Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio

New Yoik.

Virginia was the first,despite "muh pilgrims". Also, the Old Dominion, all the founding fathers, and the Civil War. Easily Virginia.

Virginia, Massachusetts, New York, and Texas

T E X A S
E
X
A
S

Fuck off.

All I see itt arw Americans naming states, where is the serious discussion??

Texas revolted from Mexico, declared themselves a republic and actually received recognition from a few European countries. After a decade of independence, they petitioned the U.S. for annexation, which triggered the Mexican-American War, after which the U.S. victoriously annexed the sparsely settled Northern territory of the Mexican Republic. To this day, there is a relatively strong sense of identity and pride in the state.

That is why I think Texas has the most interesting history.

>Maine
>Literally just a bunch of drunks that were too shitfaced to give the state an actual name

Virginia so hard it isn't even funny.

The first British settlers in North America settled there.

They produced more Presidents than any other state.

Their bill of rights was the model for the one in the US Constitution

They were the seat of the Confederacy.

The only other state in the union that comes close is Pennsylvania, because Philadelphia was the capital of the US for a little bit.

This. No state was more influential in either the founding of the USA or the CSA.

Floridian here. I don't know about 'best history', but our background is pretty rich even before statehood. These are some things that I can name off of the top of my head, I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

>Fabled location of Fountain of Youth
>St. Augustine is the oldest continuously-occupied settlement founded by Europeans in the US (est. 1565)
>Badass natives (Seminoles)
>Along with GA, the first state to see black Union troops in combat
>Home of the first Southern woman to vote in a local election
>Florida real estate sales/'land boom' were a major component in the US Great Depression
>FDR was almost assassinated here
>Amelia Earhart took off from Miami, FL before disappearing over the Pacific
>4 Germans were found on a Florida coast and detained in 1942
>Home of Kennedy Space Center
>Home of first ever US teacher's strike
>Disney World/Everglades
>Weird voting system (DAE 2000?)

Forgot to add, the Virginia general assembly is the oldest continuous lawmaking body in this hemisphere.

Florida is a solid contender for the weirdest state in the union.

>he conveniently omitted all the parts of his states history that involve cocaine

>implying drug cartels don't qualify as making a state more interesting

They do.

If Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts are the preps, Florida is that one kid that keeps getting into all kinds of weird shit, that everyone is kind of afraid of and kind of impressed with.

>muh pilgrims

come on dude

Did you see the RNC today? One of the speakers said that we started with the pilgrims. If someone did a street poll, most people would say the pilgrims were the first. The US has a thing for "muh pilgrims"

For those of you who don't know about New Mexico, think conquistadors and Indians and the Indians won. Also the Mexicans there used mounted lancers for fighting up until the 19th century.

Louisiana

>"wait we're america now? k."

Alaska has a pretty interesting history as far as Russians.

It was basically part of Siberia until the Americans decided to buy it.

infuriating that people who profess to love this country are so ignorant of its history

This. Founding of colonies, much of the Revolution, LOTS of the civil war.

But don't you see, if I knew a bunch of stuff, than I'd probably be one of those "intellectuals" and everyone knows those guys hate our country and everything it stands for.

>it was incredibly easy to get the Americans to become livestock, all you had to do was convince them it was a form of rebellion

Wtf Puerto Rico
Explain yourself?

New Jersey ofc

>implying there's a contest

Massachusetts

> Pilgrims
> Thanksgiving
> Witch trials
> King Philip's War
> Boston Tea Party
> Start of Revolution
> Paul Revere's ride
> Invented basketball
> Invented volleyball
> Invented the assembly line
> First college, Harvard
> Great Awakening
> Moby Dick
> Babe Ruth
> The Kennedys
> First public schools
> Shay's Rebellion

>Virginia was the first

nope...New Mexico and Florida got'cha beat.

in no particular order...
Virginia
New York
New Mexico
South Carolina
Florida
Louisiana
Mass

tennessee

This.

We had a closely related thread topic some weeks ago: "what state has been MOST IMPORTANT to overall US history?" The overwhelming consensus on a short-list was NY, VA, MA and (sometimes) PA, with the Carolinas as important also-rans.

Of course, the OP's question is a very distinct question, but I think it largely ends up resolving tho the mid-atlantic region all over again, just because they have /more/ history in a relatively young country, by historical standards. LA/TX start to get pulled into this converstaion a bit more with this different prompt, however.

However you are obliged to back-track your latter assertion just a titch insofar as New York City was provisionally the Capital at certain occasions, together with its later influence on world culture, all of which also make for a rich (albeit in many cases somewhat more recent) history which one could fairly eclipses that of Pennsylvania, depending on how you want to look at it.

t. not even a New Yorker.

I would like to mention a very recent item of common world history which all three of VA, NY and PA have in common, to the exclusion of any other first-order divisions: These three states are precisely the three states where the planes actually crashed on 9/11 (nevar 4get!).

w-what about us guys ;_;

I like the flag tbqh (fuck the haters) but the weirdest-shaped border in the union, Poe, the Ravens, the Blair Witch project and proximity to the capital just don't cut it. Maryland is an also-ran, sorry.

Sharing an extensive border with the biggest Literally Who in the union (americans on /int/ regularly agree!), Delaware, also doesn't help.

no one mentoining Illinois,
was the most westerd part of the fight for the french and Indian war
when everyone was tolf they cant go their the country revolted until they got their wish to settle this land.
before the civil war their was a black code. "he Illinois Black Code of 1853 prohibited any Black persons from outside of the state from staying in the state for more than ten days, subjecting Black emigrants who remain beyond the ten days to arrest, detention, a $50 fine, or deportation." which if kept would have ment it was illegal to be black in Illinois, and thus illinois would have been unaffected by the migration of blacks to the north. for at maybe 50 years id say.
didn't give a fuck about no flags.never adpoted a flag until the early 1900s feminists decided we needed one.
the state is currently and has been for the most part politically Chicago VS the rest of the state.
both Chicago the city and the state of Illinois have put into legal motion to make Chicago its own state.

Florida has been controlled by natives, the Spanish, the French, the British, the Confederacy, and the United States, which is pretty interesting.

Maryland is a communist pisshole run by the Jews and infested with dindus

Source: I've lived there for 25 years

Virginia
Pennsylvania
Texas
California

Missouri is also a weirdly entertaining Wikipedia read but nothing more.

Also fuck Iowa

Virginia, head and shoulders above everyone else. If I was from there I would be extremely proud of it.

Massachusetts, Texas, Louisiana are worth a mention.

Everywhere below Annapolis is trash

That was never once the Confederate flag and I'm pretty sure the French and Spanish ones are wrong two.

Texas had six(seven including Republic of the Rio Grande) flags

forgot pic

Virginia & Massachusetts are the only correct answers

Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Texas

Probably the states with the earliest European settlements or with the oldest Native settlements.

>spain

They have jousting going for them at least

Objectively Minnesota, we saved the union in the Civil War.

While I admit my homestate is boring, there are some funny historical events that happened here. I mean, in my town which is on the Ohio river separating Indiana and Kentucky, we got tricked by the confederate army thinking their stove pipes were canons and gave up without a fight.

(I'm talking about Indiana)

classic Indiana, tards since day one

Vermont

The state of denial, of course.

For some reason a lot of Eastern Europeans live around here, like me.

Tejas
e
j
a
s

El Alamo se originĂ³ en Coahuila :^)

>think conquistadors and Indians and the Indians won
Pretty common on the northern wilderness

>the Mexicans there used mounted lancers for fighting up until the 19th century

They were horseback to avoid your first point

Best cultural history: Massachusetts
Best war history: Texas
Best feudal history: Either Carolina
Best capitalist history: New York
Best history post-Civil War: California
Best sad history: Oklahoma
Best native history: Hawaii
Best religious history: Utah
Best 18th century history: Pennsylvania

To say the best is so objective, it depends what you like

>america
>history

lol

Virginia a best.

>The US has a thing for "muh pilgrims". Must be a NE thing only, in the SE, no one really puts extra thought or care for Plymouth.

it had a pretty interesting racial history. At least tulsa did
t. dot indian

PENNSYLVANIA hands down

>Quakers
>Amish
>Philadelphia
>War of 1812
>Gettysburgh

Virginia being a close second.

Louisiana and Virginia

Yeah.

>first permanent settlements in the New World for the English wast at Jamestown
>most presidents produced period
>Revolutionary War ended at Yorktown with a Virginian general and the first future president of the United States: George Washington, securing American's permanent future as an independent sovereign nation
>Capital of the Confederacy
>Oldest insinuation of government in the colonies with the House of Burgesses
>State is literally known as the "Mother of all States" for reason
>Its other title is "birthplace of the nation"
>Commonwealth
>Virginia Bill of Rights formed part of the foundation of the Declaration of Independence
>Virginia along with Maryland are the two states that founded the District of Colombia; the administrative and political headquarters of the United States
>Second oldest university in the US is the College of William and Mary; which was founded in 1693 and its alumini included Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe
>First Thanksgiving was celebrated period in the US history was at Jamestown Virginia in 1619

Only other states that can compare are New York, Pennsylvania, and maybe one of the other New England states combined.

Even individuals wise:

>Nathaniel Bacon
>Thomas Jefferson
>George Washington
>Patrick Henry
>Richard Henry Lee
>George Mason
>Stonewall Jackson
>Robert E Lee
>Jeb Stuart
>Woodrow Wilson

Even one of the founding fathers of the independent Texas was a Virginian: Stephen F Austin. And that also includes the direct existence of Kentucky and West Virginia as well to boot.

I was born in Mass but raised in south Florida, and I can confirm that this state is weird as fuck, especially when compared to the northern states.

Most important and historically rich states in order:
>Virginia
>New York
>Pennsylvania
>Massachusetts

Honorable mentions (in no order):
>Texas
>Florida
>Alaska
>Nevada
>California

Virginia and New York