Can Veeky Forums explain yakuza to me?

Can Veeky Forums explain yakuza to me?

What I don't understand is how they aren't illegal despite carrying on criminal activities.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza#Syndicates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are involved in illegal and legal activity. They have a code which keeps violence to a minimum. Murder is extremely frowned upon. While they do engage in smuggling, extortion, blackmail, fraud, etc- they also do lots of legal work. Stuff like construction, manufacturing, restaurants.

The TL;DR is that Asians love secret societies in general, and having your country bombed into the stone age provides a great way for organized crime to take control of your society.

Also, there's a bunch of Korean immigrants in Japan that can't get decent jobs, and form the bulk of the Yakuza.

I still don't understand. If Google had a side-business where they kidnapped women and forced them into prostitution, I don't think there would be a Google Corporation for long.

The yakuza aren't some monolithic corporation.

Explain.

Wouldn't the head(s) of the organisation get a cut of the illegal profits? Otherwise they'd be separate groups, right?

The Yakuza isn't like La Cosa Nostra where there's a "boss of [x] region". It's a culture within a culture, a government within a nation.

East Asian governments left huge swathes of territory to defend and govern themselves (provided they paid taxes and did labor when asked). The Yakuza and Triads are the pseudo-governments that filled the gaps that the Imperial government couldn't. They do to this day as well.

It's not that Google is kidnapping people in addition to doing legitimate business and social welfare, it's that the Hippies are. It's not an organization lead by one man, or even a group. It's a culture that exists within society at large. Anyone can join a Hippie commune. You can't just say "You're a member of [x group], you go to jail" like with LCN, because not only does the organization have a long standing religious and cultural role, but you can't even pin down whose a member. Just because you're part of the Mother Flower Commune doesn't mean you have jack shit to do with the Singing Earth Commune and their cp ring.

>What I don't understand is how they aren't illegal despite carrying on criminal activities.
Same way 1%er Motorcycle Clubs are.

>Murder is extremely frowned upon
Wrong.

The Yakuza are an old society founded in the 17th century, they have been around for a very long time, and while they do not care (fully) for governments and law THEY DO care about their community, and everything they do is for their communities, essentially.
Twilight of the Yakuza is an awesome documentry on the subject. Pretty much for ever they have been tolerated by the Japanese govt and even society because they do do good. They keep the majority of the drugs off of their street, well they used to. The US govt is pressureing the Japanese to get rid of these Yakuza, even though they are generally liked. (drugs conspiracy)

Today, they really are only buissness men with questionable practices. Their community understand that there are situations where you cannot turn the the law for the desired out-come, that is what the yakuza are for.

>The TL;DR is that Asians love secret societies in general,
They are not a secret society, they are a gang. When their bosses changed they would televise the events, they were massive in Japan.

Secret societies, gangs, state-within-a-state, illuminati, social clubs.

All of this is something that Asians love.

The Asian philosophy of governance is all about using informal methods and personal relationships to fill in the gaps between the laws and official institutions.

>All of this is something that Asians love.
Sigh.

It may be stupid, but it's not wrong.

It's very wrong.

>It's not an organization lead by one man

I know wikipedia isn't the best source but it disagrees. It lists different yakuza groups and their leaders.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza#Syndicates

Are you telling me that Asia doesn't have a long history of secret societies and quasi-governmental groups filled with powerful men?

More-so the fact that you think all Asians are the same.

Are you trying to imply it's only Asians who have a history of what you described? Are you an idiot?

faggot

Well, I was hoping you'd realize that people on Veeky Forums don't use precise academic terminology, and that I was heavily implying East Asia specifically as compared to the west and the rest of the industrialized world.

This isn't a college classroom, you're going to have to rely on context clues and make some reasonable guesses.

>I don't want to type out Japan
>I'll just type out Asians
>he will put 2 and 2 together

Right. Why would I expect retards on the internet to use precise terminology?

>getting annoyed when he gets called out for his shit vocabulary.
Try harder next time, your opinion has been instantly disregarded. Even if it did hold weight (it doesn't, I honestly have no idea why you think Asians for some reason are the only ones to enjoy social gatherings, gangs and the like) you need to word your arguments better.

Idiot.

Yakuza are largely descended from the outsider clans, literal second class citizens for like thousands of years that lived in slums out of view had basically 0 rights as people, they were like animals and they did basically all the work perceived as """dirty""" by the mainstream society, like tanning hides etc

They were basically oppressed and treated as second class citizens to like late 20th century and even today even though it's technically illegal to ostracize anyone from this backing, the social stigma is there and if you can be linked to such a family, you're basically shit
Which is why they turned to organized crime for work

Organised crime is better than unorganised crime.

>heir community understand that there are situations where you cannot turn the the law for the desired out-come, that is what the yakuza are for.

You mean being dumb enough by getting a loan from a loan shark?

Well, I was attempting to allude to East Asia, because I was also thinking of societies like Vietnam and China, that also have a long history of quasi-state entities.

Fortunately, in American vernacular, "Asian" is most often used as a racial description for East Asia, and not a general term for the continent of Asia.

Frankly, I think you've been rather pedantic, and it has impaired our discussion rather than enhanced it.

TL;DR ur a fag

Both are super cancerous as fuck.

Not him but he was obviously referring to the yakuza as a whole. You have some reading comprehension issues.

>What are the Masons.
>What are the Grangers

America was literally run by secret society's in the 18th century, De Torqueville called it their defining trope.
The Continental congress were a secret quasi governmental society too.

Tldr: Shoot yourself.

A lot of them are also Zainichi Korean. t. my half-Korean friend

There's the same thing in China. In China, theirs stem from the fact that the Average Chinese Village is a literal fucking family during the Imperial Days. Some of its members then left the village to work in cities, as merchants or whatnot. Anyway, these people formed what are called "Kongsis" which is basically a clan-society which helps members of the clan maneuver his way around city life, or serve as "embassies" of the clan with the village.

Over time a Kongsu sometimes becomes a criminal organization when a clan or village gets desperate during the lean times. Smuggling was the famous Kongsi crime, particularly by Merchantile Kongsis port-chinese cities. They were so powerful they ran China's informal colonial efforts as the Kongsis - without sanction from the government - established trading posts across Southeast/South Asia. The ones in Indonesia were big enough to be states.

We aren't talking about Americans though faggot. We're talking about Japanese you dense motherfucker. What others do is relevant you stupid faggot

Oh and I should add: Chinese Imperial Law allowed you to take the law into your own hands. In the villages, civilians owned weapons and policied themselves with some minimal legal supervision from a magistrate or prefect. More often than not, if some cunt murdered one of your sons/raped one of your daughters, you turned to the Kongsi first for help, and they'll send toughs with weapons or hire a private investigator for you.

>Masons
the masons don't actually do anything

>Grangers
Oh, you are just retarded

Grangers were influential and passed a fuckton of laws.
Masons do and did a lot of community service in areas that the government can't or won't serve.

The yakuza usually don't involve regular civilians and the Japanese understand that the yakuza are necessary to keep order.

Japan's murder rate is proof of that.

>Japan's murder rate is proof of that.

Isn't this due to the fucked police investigation system there?

motorcycle gangs are generally legal too

It is common for Japanese Police to ignore family disputes, yes. But if they have reason to suspect you of murder as a lone incident, you bet your ass they're getting that confession.

>wrong
>not Wong

The illegal things they do are in fact criminal and illegal, and they get prosecuted. The effectiveness of legal actions can be argued, but it happens.

However most of what yakuza does is being the default extreme right-wing community, very nationalist people, they organize protests, fund different "traditional" japanese businesses and sites, and the rest is doing gray area business - gambling, prostitution, things that are not illegal, but they are not exactly promoted by the state.

So their business is a mix of gray area and perfectly reasonable normal business like shops and hotels, with some right wing politics and traditionalism charity work, and a small minority of their activity is actually illegal.
More of a cartel than a mafia.