/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

More Real Than Real Edition.

>Waifu Jam (OVER) Go play some games
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next DEMO DAY (Nine) #9
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

>Game Dev Articles
boreal.aggydaggy.com

New Threads: >>>Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Previous DEMO DAYs
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity2d.com/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pu6vYJ5a46kQfx7UAi5xNfpfec5tutPrJomMM14iEd0/viewform#responses
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8
tools.aggydaggy.com/#
alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
tools.aggydaggy.com/tools.html
itch.io/jam/wj2016
youtube.com/watch?v=RviOwY0OKyE
youtube.com/watch?v=WwxZi_ZK0mw
youtube.com/watch?v=_6CPSTzO4s0
youtube.com/watch?v=HTA0hCun_W8
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>/agdg/ will defend this

what is it

Does Game Maker have any system of tags or adding parents during runtime?

I want to have an enemy class that reflects player attacks, and have enemies that switch that attribute on and off. There are workarounds, but it would be much easier if I could alter parent heirarchy.

First for progress!
Real life got in the way and I've been kinda busy, but I'm still working on the first level when I can. So far I've got everything done up till the checkpoint, which doesn't exactly work yet but hey. There's a random empty room in the middle of what I have so far; that's gonna be a cutscene room, hence why it's just a flat featureless room.

Why is there so much garbage in the OP? Why is there still no explanation of how to webm?

Every time anyone tries to change the op, all the local reddit rejects and /x/ gremlins freak out

>Each node on a graph represents a terrain or object generator: noise, voronoi, blend, curve, erosion, scatter, forest, etc. Once the nodes are connected the magic happens: a game map will be created without any human involvement.
So it's a glorified noise library with a $55 price tag, of which many FREE specimens exist.

>When linked to a terrain, the script will create a grid from copies of the terrain.
Not remotely what he wants.

It's kind of sad that engines have such limited options for getting data into shaders that this is considered an amazing feature.

>ground sprites stolen from doki doki panic

Let me guess, they're """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""placeholders""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" right?

Where's your game?

Do you really not know how to webm?

Progress.

Please rate all of it. Give constructive criticism pls

>OP has had webm section since forever
>It's now there twice
>Retards still ask every thread

Honestly it just looks like a higher-res/better made texture in general. And even then, is it that important? It's nice to have good graphics, but it seems like the best games out there tend not to have that level of autistic detail. Seems like a waste of manpower and creative energy for anyone who's not part of a AAA team.

You might have to modify the Global Fog shader if you want your fog to be striped/pixely in a way the rest of your scene isn't

But to add fogging just add a component to your camera and search for Fog. One of the fields in that behaviour is the fog shader, if you double click it it'll open in your editor and you can mess with it.

Pic related, you might be able to do some kind of clamping to force the fog color to be discrete steps and get the striping effect you want

There are agdgers who know shaders, not me, but someone might help if you ask

It's not like it's difficult to achieve. It's pretty much just adding together the lighting contributions of two different materials on a single object.

Any games that use this will have worse gameplay than games 15 years ago that didn't use it.

He doesn't need shaders he needs a farclip plane/far culling.
If i were him i'd just lerp based based on the depth buffer for a first effect. It'd be easy to make sortof OK looking fog from there.

>lerp based based on the depth buffer
How would you do that without shaders?

Both create infinite terrain maps, its what he was asking for.

Yeah you do that with shaders. But his issue is the farclip plane since he's crashing due to asset load (dunno why unity lets that happen).
He's probably just pretending anyway.

>infinite terrain maps
Wasn't it at all though.
Just read

posting again

>agdg jam theme poll

docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pu6vYJ5a46kQfx7UAi5xNfpfec5tutPrJomMM14iEd0/viewform#responses

Only the first one creates infinitely PROCEDURALLY GENERATED terrain, the second just tiles one thing over and over again.

And why would you pay $55 for something that is far less flexible than libnoise + the terrain part of some free rendering engine?

You know what to do, /agdg/.

>ground sprites stolen from doki doki panic
What? I made everything

It's right there in the op, twice in fact:

>tools.aggydaggy.com/#
The first link listed takes you to the old /agdg/ website. When you click it, it's just a matter of scrolling down the middle mouse button once or twice and you'll see 'Posting Progress' and 'Web'em' in big bold letters.

>Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
Clicking 'Tools' gives you a list of ways to make progress and a list of ways to record and post progress. It's right there in big bold letters.

There's too much information to fit everything in the OP, but it's very straightforward in that it points you in the right direction. Here are the EXACT links:
alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
tools.aggydaggy.com/tools.html

Gamedev is like this the entire time. People and tutorials can only point you in a direction but it's up to you to actually go there and take a look. There's no step-by-step process to become a successful game developer. Otherwise everyone would be in this business. But stuff like webms and how to make them are right there in plain view, not sure how you can miss it unless you're too impatient.

I swapped the links and description by accident in this post. Just swap them.

should note that the old adgd site has old links, links to the old webmconverter repo

Thats dumb, neither of those say anything about webms in the OP

Meanwhile there are hyper-specific sites like blender models and one particular musicbro. The vast majority of devs need to know how to webm to post progress, but how many beginners need blender models?

Not to mention all the unnecessary http:// garbage

I don't care what engine you're using, what game you're posting. If you can't type "how to make webm" into google, you are not a dev. You have to be human to be a dev, and if you still can't work a google search in 2016 you are less than human.

I am sick of you people thinking you can act superior when you're the ones that can't do the thing. Everyone else found the webm section from the OP, why can't you?

Added some customization to the particle emitter. Will need to add more features like using a texture. I think it'll work pretty well after more dev time for things like magic effects.

>Waifu Jam (OVER) Go play some games
>itch.io/jam/wj2016
Cute waifus! Cute gameplay!
I like the Witch and the Dragon, it's super cute and fun and rather polished. Vampire's Bit was also polished but I kept getting stuck on objects and stuff. Momiji had nice graphics (but needs to be played with a gamepad). Chony Chaos Dev is into bdsm, that's the only explanation that makes sense because he's either a sadist or masochist or both. Waifu Quest gets a certificate of participation. Commander tried to hack my computer I think, but at least Placeholder-chan is a cute. Couldn't play Jamos because I don't have a mac, but I do have a mac address.

We were all like this once. Actually, in fact, I think I probably asked /agdg/ the same question, and they also got mad at me. But I still remember, so that's why it's ok to spoonfeed every now and then. I remember being so lost but a nice user helped me out. So it's only fair I do the same for this newbie as well.

>thread now can't even hit bump limit because people freak out their progress somehow will lose viewers after ~700
wew

Is it too late to start a game for the demo day next month? How much of a demo do I need by then?

Post dev music
youtube.com/watch?v=RviOwY0OKyE

This doesn't really look any different from my last progress but the big change is I now store each level's data in a separate entry in a map, and then write the entire map to the save file. So when you save, it only saves the current level and overwrites the entry in the map, but keeps all the other levels the same. The final step when I get back later will be to load a level from the map every time you re-enter a zone (and save a level right before you leave it).

People only get mad to help you be more self sufficient.

Looking tasty. Make sure you don't just polish your toolbox and actually only implement stuff you need for your game though.

Where are you going to draw the line as to where you save things? If you shoot a fireball then save, will it be there on load?

I remember doing something like that in Morrowind as a kid that made me have to restart since I was attacking some friendly NPC who could wipe the floor with me and I was too dumb to make a seperate save. So it was always load, NPC gets hit, I die

First link recommends a $199 program, second is an online converter, third recommends Virtualdub, another online converter, etc

Its unjustifiable to feature one specific musician in the OP (one that isn't even part of AGDG isn't that good to begin with) but expect new people to "just figure it out"

What engine are you using?

Right now I'm not saving projectiles. I have a comment in the code pointing it out, but no intentions currently. I actually posted a few days ago about whether to leave something like this (intentional bug) in as a scumming feature or not.
It does save pretty much everything else including whether you're in turn-based mode and what every character's current attack delay timer is at.

I also intend to have multiple slots for both quicksave and autosave, so hopefully that helps.

Check out this little light show.

I was like, "what the fuck is he talking about?", but you're talking about the google search aren't you? You shouldn't still be having problems with this and you didn't actually have to google it because you were spoonfed over half an hour ago by this guy

youtube.com/watch?v=WwxZi_ZK0mw

The thing should drop coins or whatever for you to collect so you have a reason to stay under it and dodge the projectiles

Why have a link to Unity? Its the first result on google.

I was worried that all bits I cut out had made Cony Chaos too easy. So I'm glad it still provided a bit of a challenge.
There was a point where it was so hard even I couldn't finish it.

This, but for the engines. If you really came here and don't know the homepage for your own engine or how to find it, you are too stupid for game dev.

Yeah it will be gems, not coins though. You can see here:

youtube.com/watch?v=_6CPSTzO4s0

2bh we should just write an entirely new op because i dont think anyone actually uses any of the shit in the current one. does anyone care about previous demo days or jams either? that archive link is pretty superfluous too, since it just directs to page after page of the same one exact post

maybe a short FAQ would be better instead or something

youtube.com/watch?v=HTA0hCun_W8

fug, why does 80s-themed music sound so hardcore sometimes. Half of their music is so motivational I feel like going for a drive or working out or growing a mullet. Wonder how it was to live back then with ataris and classic arcades and shit without all the politically correct paranoid atmosphere we have right now in the current year.

I love the look of your game and the gameplay looks really tight. But please don't name it Xenocave, for your own sake. It will get lost among the many other games named Xeno and Zeno on the market and kind of saps some intrigue from it initially

>since it just directs to page after page of the same one exact post
Why is it that it's only brain dead morons who suggest changing the OP?

i played on one of those once

it wasn't good and cemented my lifelong hate for VR. VR sucks and is a shitty gimmick. It doesn't help that most VR games are simply not good on top of VR being a shitty gimmick.

Thanks. I'm trying to make sure I have some end goal in mind instead of adding features that I think are cool.

Looks like a neat little game, but pls, come up with some more block variety.

But now with current technology we can actually have real VR. Give it a couple more years to mature.

Hey, I was the user who said bosses are important earlier. I recommend asking /vr/ for a list of platforming games with the best bosses, and playing those for inspiration. So many games have shitty, samey bosses and given how juicy the game looks and how nice the controls appear to be, it'd be unfortunate to be lacking in the main thing that gives players a sense of accomplishment.

But if you draw on older games and think about how to use specific things like the pickaxe and gun or whatever it is in conjunction with one another, I think you can come up with some really good stuff.

Are you really suggesting that it's useful to have a link to just multiple iterations of the OP? It's not at all a good cataloging system for any kind of information. It's just the OP over and over and over, with no inkling of what is actually going on in the thread behind it that you might want to see.

It also encourages bad behaviour. All that "hue hue ur on le thin ice ids all in le archives :^)" nonsense that gets posted every damn day.

What would be more useful is consistently backlinking to the previous thread, but most of the people sniping OPs are too retarded to do that.

What do you mean by "real" VR? Because I mean I played on an arcade machine where you stepped into a little booth with a helmet and some shit you held in your hands, and had a pretty seamless experience.

It was shit because the game on it was some shitty FPS that would not have been good in any setting, and the VR kit bolted to the ceiling was just an expensive way to make my eyes and temples hurt.

Ok I'll think about it, thanks. Personally, I don't know a lot of games with "xeno" in the title. I mean, I'm sure there are tons, but I don't know of any.

Yeah, that will come later, after the level designs. I don't want to get hung up on graphics too much at first.

LEVEL DESIGN IS ***NOT*** GAME DEV

Why isnt cryengine listed when its the best option for making a game.
Unity may be capable of looking better but cryengine rekts it performance wise.

Why don't you go learn how to use the archive and then never come back? Please, you fucking dumb cunt.

definitely meant ue4 instead of unity

>Why don't you go learn how to use the archive and then never come back?
I don't use it by searching for agdg as a title, that's for fucking sure. Are you stupid?

Great idea, thanks man.

Originally, I thought I would just have the 3-eyed tentacle thing as the recurring end of stage boss, but now I'm thinking I need more variety of bosses.

If these are bantz they're pretty low quality

In the end, its about who is 1) such an agdg-lifer that they're around for the thread changes, and 2) bold enough to make the new OP themselves

It seems only fitting that its left up to the bravest of the core AGDG community to define the OPs. Too bad they're so shit at it and mindlessly copy the previous ones without tryin to innovate or improve

Thank you for your garbage Full Sail analysis, shitfam, but we have it under control. :)

>tools.aggydaggy.com/#
the agdg is fucking pointless honestly. he just copied stuff from the OP and put it there without any creativity.
also the most important thing in the site is feedback and requests isn't even available

jam poll results thus far

Here's a little experiment for you to try out. Open the link in the OP, I'll post it here too because I'm not sure you're capable of finding the OP.
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
All the posts in the archive will have a post number, just like my post and yours right here on this site. All you have to is click the number on any of the archived posts on that page and see what happens.

If you need help opening links or you don't know what a number is, please tell me and I'll try teach you.

It's just a replacement for the previous site, but yeah a requests feature on-site would be nice but he usually is around and responds.

Can you fuck off already, shitfam? We said we have it control. Don't make us take YOU under control.

I'm quite surprised.

but we don't need a website, its just something that's nice to have

>LEVEL DESIGN IS ***NOT*** GAME DEV
So you're telling me if I make the controls work, the character move around and everything, and I program the enemy AI, and I add all the resources, my game is fully developed even if I have no levels?

You're full of shit.

>All you have to is click the number on any of the archived posts on that page and see what happens.
So you're SERIOUSLY saying it's a good filing system of any sort to just have reams of the same exact post hiding all the content behind it? Holy fuck.

I honestly see no point for an agdg website. There's a steam group for coordinating anything you might want to post publically but with a name, and literally what other features are there that you could want?

We don't need an OP block either, but yet we still have one.
>There's a steam group
Yeah nah, SShitters shitpost here all the time.

I mean these were just the first to come up

It definitely comes off as a generic vidya title

Looks good m80

>144165957
X is not gamedev, is one of his shitposting gimmicks, ignore it please. And lurk a bit more, newfriend.

level design isn't game dev, sourcefam. Maybe you should have realized that all those years ago when we brain-raped you the first time, Reek. :)

steamchat are just a bunch of friends that turned the steamchat into their own personal google hangout group

im talking about have a site for people to communicate with ID's, which is simple to understand. there is no point for anything else

forgot pic

Please tell me how you would easily link to archived threads if not by pointing to the OP?

>I honestly see no point for an agdg website
Recap hosting

I don't use source, and I've only been in these threads like a week.

But when my game is all done except level design, it's not done. I still have to develop my game further by making the levels.

>We don't need an OP block either, but yet we still have one.
We clearly do, because people ask the same goddamn questions every fuckin' thread -- how to webm should be in there, for example. Instead of links to engines' homepages, links to actual documentation or developer communities would be better.

>pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx (embed)
> (embed)
at the very least can we agree this shit is unforgivable

You could always post on the community as a text forum.

>im talking about have a site for people to communicate with ID's,
Literally Steam. IRC would be even better, since that's consistent names that you can change at any time, and /whois-ing people is only as effective as IDs are on Veeky Forums anyway if they have a dynamic IP (which like 90% of people do now)

Why not post them in the thread? That would actually be something useful to have an archive link for -- use a consistent name or subject for recaps, and it'd be searchable on archive.moe or fireden or 4plebs or whatever people are using now for their gangstalking.

We had how to webm and .gif for ages and people still asked for links every god damn day.

People will always ask dumb shit, and not read the OP unless it fucks with their OCDtism . It doesn't matter what we have or don't have.

Don't go changing the OP now, shitfam. You're on thin ice.

Thanks user, I was also looking for the 1.1.6 version.

Put it on my mega, I'll share it around here if people ask for it.

Hmm, I see what you're saying.

It's funny more than anything.

but steam and irc are fucking ghost chat's for regulars only

im talking about a place where you can send messeges directly to someone's email or if you actually want something you'd have a section on where to write it

The OP is too fuckin' long and terribly formatted with tons of whitespace for no reason, that's why. Half the links are shit no one actually uses and could be axed, and once the OP doesn't look like a complete mess of obsolete garbage, maybe people will read it.

>their OCDtism
This might be right

Don't worry though, I'll fix it all in the next thread
- t. op activist