/twg/ - Total War General

Q&A on Friday edition

>FAQs & General Info
pastebin.com/gZ1T9VCN

>Steam Groups
steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwargeneral
steamcommunity.com/groups/twgmp

>Total War Warhammer
Mods -- twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications

Old -

>wheres the challenge if they just make things stronger?

The same challenge that's there with any other faction that at least has some good units? Is that a serious question?

>i actually recovered quite nicely.

Good for you?

>i like the strange niches they can fill with bizarre monsters.

There's nothing particularly strange about them. They have monsters to attack ranged units, monsters to disrupt formations, and an anti large monster.

The difference between them and other factions is that their monsters aren't good, but then again monsters aren't great across the board either.

> i don't think i can potentially outright lose as them either.

Ok?

>dwarf campaign
>easy

> Estalia, Tilea, Border Princes feature regular army sizes, while hireling Dogs of War regiments are no more than six units strong including lord-level character and attach as an auxiliary force to armies of their employer. Regular units:
Lords: Mercenary General
Heroes: Mercenary Captain, Paymaster, Wizards
Common Units: Pikemen, Crossbowmen, Duelists, Dwarf Rangers, Dwarf Rangers (Crossbows), Ogres

> Alcatani Fellowship
Region Spawned: Tilea
Renowned Lord: Roderigo Delmonte
Units: Alcatani Pikemen

> Al Muktar's Desert Dogs
RS: Araby
RL: Al Muktar
U: Desert Dogs

> Anakonda's Amazons
RS: northern Lustria
RL: Anakonda
U: Amazon Warriors (Blades of the Ancients), Amazon Archers

> Bearmen of Urslo
RS: Norsca
RL: Beorg Bearstruck
U: Bearmen

> Birdmen of Catrazza
RS: Tilea
RL: Daddallo
U: Birdmen

> Braganza's Besiegers
RL: Luka Bragazza
U: Besiegers

> Bronzino's Galloper Guns
RL: Bronzino
U: Galloper Guns

> Cursed Company
RS: random
RL: Richter Kreugar
U: Skeletons

> Giants of Albion
RS: random
RL: Hengus
U: Bologs and Cachtorr

> Golgfag's Maneaters
RS: Badlands
RL: Golgfag
U: Maneaters

> Leopold's Leopard Company
RL: Leopoldo di Lucci
U: Leopard Pikemen

> Long Drong's Slayer Pirates
RS: random (naval)
RL: Long Drong
U: Slayer Pirates

> Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks
RS: random (forests)
RL: Lumpin Croop
U: Fighting Cocks

> Marksmen of Miragliano
RL: Maxamilian Damark
U: Marksmen

> Mengil Manhide's Manlfayers
RS: random (coastal/naval)
RL: Mengil Manhide
U: Manflayers

> Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz
RS: Dark Lands
RL: Oglah Khan
U: Hobgoblin Wolfboyz

> Pirazzo's Lost Legion
RL: Fernando Pirazzo
U: Legionnaire (Pikes), Legionnaire (Crossbows)

> Ricco's Republican Guard
RL: Ragged Ricco
U: Republican Guard

Ruglud's Orcs, Tichi-Huichi's Raiders, etc.

> Renowned Heroes are hired and embedded into the armies of their employers rather than acting as reinforcements
Gotrex & Felix
Asarnil the Dragonlord

>Am I supposed to make a fucking circle around my ranged units and just let them duke it out with the marauders while my melee guys fight the hounds and warriors?

This doesn't work too well in my experience.

You're empire I assume?

Bring cavalry, even pistoliers, and have them guard your flanks. They should be able to keep the doggos and marauders at a safe enough distance for your to finish off their infantry line before you turn on them. You'll want some crossbowers to support your cav by shooting the mounted marauders.

great start lads

nth for SIGMAR

FOR KARL FRANZ

AND FOR THE EMPIRE

>taking a dragon on a chaos lord changes your armor from 100 shielded to 40 unshielded

y tho

shit, you were faster than me

>wheres the challenge if they just make things stronger?

The same challenge that's there with any other faction that at least has some good units? Is that a serious question?

>i actually recovered quite nicely.

Good for you?

>i like the strange niches they can fill with bizarre monsters.

There's nothing particularly strange about them. They have monsters to attack ranged units, monsters to disrupt formations, and an anti large monster.

The difference between them and other factions is that their monsters aren't good, but then again monsters aren't great across the board either.

> i don't think i can potentially outright lose as them either.

Ok?

Thanks m8

because your size and momentum go way up and you gain insane cleave allowing you to disrupt the shit out of whatever you engage, along with superior mobility unless you get tarpitted

>posted from my toaster

maybe you should SUMMON

CA are literal retards. There is no other explanation.

Anyone else loving how much you get shit on as Vampire Counts? It's a struggle to just withstand chaos and you end up being a few castles in their way that just won't fall until you end them, I'm 400 turns into legendary and I've just re-established myself in the North after a bit of lurking and withdrawing behind the lines of Mousillon to build a buffer, I can't see thisdescending into doomstack conquer move on conquer for a while. Also grinding enemies down with attrition and stack after stack of zombies while you soften them up for your main army.

THE

>finally settle on Empire for playthrough
>chaos spawns up north
>come down south
>manage to get an ambush off on them
>Auto-resolve says battle is super in my favour
>like 80/20 in my favour
>decide to play it because it's a pretty big battle anyway, first real fight against Chaos

Who the fuck though marauders and warhounds were a good idea. How the fuck am I supposed to react to 15 units literally sprinting in circles around me until they find a flank to attack, while another ten units of marauders make a front line I cant ignore, and hellcannons attack me.

I can't attack the hellcannons with my front line, because that leaves my flanks open to hounds. I can't attack with my reiksgaurd, because they get fucking bodyblocked by a thousand dogs.

I scraped a win, but holy shit was it close, and I lost more men then they even had. I wasn't even using shit tier units. I had Greatswords and crossbowmen and Halberdiers and Karl.

u cheeky cunt

EROTIC

why is playing as the dwarves so fucking annoying. My campaign as VC was easier being surrouned on all sides by enemies while I can barely hold off the greenskins on a single front as the dwarves

CUNTS

What am I supposed to do as Chaos beyond a certain point?

Even supporting two hordes is hard, especially when dealing with Empire lands that are all walled. Then there's the slow recovery rates of units when in enemy lands...what do?

You've never die because of knockback and the dragon shitting on anything that comes after you.

understand strategy

This is what it was like for any general facing a Mongolian army

The terrain is a bitch for dwarfs and greenskins. You have to go through turns of using the underground and taking roundabout passages to get to your enemy and it seems like they're always two steps ahead of you. If you can consolidate power in the mountains and use the dwarf clans neighboring the VC as a buffer to the bullshit in the north and finally open up the badlands as your main front, you've won. In my experience the other dwarves surrounding the badlands are always thirsty for at least defensive alliances, even on the higher difficulties. Try coordinating war targets and sniping smaller clans so the greenskins can't confederate if the grenskins themselves are taking too much effort to kill early.

>game doesnt have BSBs

Dwarves are suffering to play

Do you pause or slow down time?

Because it's hard to react and keep on top of all this shit with marauders.

Empire, Orcs, Vampires even Bretts are fine. But the moment fucking these chaos dogs get involved, it all goes to shit.

>You will uninstall in less than a week I guarantee it.
Have been playing it for years old mechanics don't bother me

I'm less than 100 in on legendary, and i've managed to fuck up chaos, and secure an ever-increasing territory. everyone hates me, but i've just been crushing them as they come.

the last remnants of the empire will crumble soon.

>tfw no direwolf pet

The mongols didn't have artillery. Or trained packs of wardogs 80 strong. If they were just horse archers and infantry, it'd be fine. It's the dogs and hellcannons that make this annoying.

Especially the dogs.

Lmao I lost the Attila prologue

Horse shits burned down the town whilst I was looking at the boats

Do you guys generally think it looks better than Warhammer or have I just got my warham settings too low?

Warhams looks 10x better than Attilla Dirtfilter

Did CA confirm they'll be adding more legendary lords for each faction?

There should be a legendary lord for each hero type. I want to start as a witchhunter or banshee leading my faction.

copy pasting this from an earlier thread

well there are a few tricks I've picked up with chaos that can add a little bit of technique to speed things up.

>army states

you can use 75% of your normal movement every turn and still recuperate losses. there isn't a reason to stay still, really.

you can actually go into force-march after razing a settlement. marching gives you a great boost in mobility, and if your army's relatively big people aren't going to attack you, even on higher difficulties.

What I personally do at the start of the chaos campaign is awaken the baersonlings, and move south, rarely looking back. the start is rough because Kislev will make use of their forts to take defensive postures. The Red Eye Orcs and the dwarves they're fighting south of the chaos wastes, not the Kraka Drak, are actually prime looting locations for a fast start.

It really doesn't hurt chaos to forego diplomacy. I've been at war with fucking everybody, and even attacked my allies to get to a fort I wanted. Very rarely does anyone do anything about your bullying.

It's a good idea to try and maintain a single strong army for a portion of the game, and don't be afraid to merge units and recruit more while you're recuperating on your 75% movement turns. The reason being isn't really the debt, but that way you can get away with a lot more bullshit that involves bullying all of the factions.

Don't feel obligated to pick fights with everyone though. You can just as easily run through countless factions on your quest to eliminate the dwarves, or Bretonnia.

The most important for last, is that you should always get horde-growth on your main commander as soon as possible. It let's you rush the chaos warshrine and field some chosen, who have little problem mopping up other human factions especially early on. A lot of people complain about Chaos being too slow, or taking forever, yet I really haven't felt that, finishing my legendary in around 120 turns, and easy in 34.

>Have Ork controlled Karak Eight Peaks under siege with two armies
>Huge battery line pummels the gate and walls while huge gun line advances
>Gun line rakes the walls with constant fire as Longbeards, Clansdwarves, and Heros advance
>Mfw they finally lose the will to fight at the gate and break

A bit of an oversight

>
>The mongols didn't have artillery

hOW could you be so wrong

SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS

that's usually what I do except I go straight for the greenskins since they can confederate

>that art
>tfw no qt vampire waifu to give u the gud succ

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

>>You can't like or play both Med2 and the newer titles
it's impossible. their can be only one

Are Vamp Counts the comfiest faction?

without a doubt

What are each faction's choices versus the End Times?

I cannot find a way to beat them, no matter how far from them i am. They just raze everything and I can't find anywhere to weather the storm.

> ywn stroke its matted play-dough mane
> ywn tickle its slimy rubbery stomach

It's kinda funny how you end up being the good guys on the down low because you end up keeping chaos from pouring south

yupppp, especially with kemmler start- not that uppity vampire cunt

The Dwarves are such a comfy faction

>have two pieces of artillery to snipe and force the enemy to come to me
>5-6 ranged units to pepper down enemy as they charge in
>tanky infantry
>tanky Generals

shits fun yo

I had an unlucky campaign this time, one chaos lord would always disappear and the invasions never ended, it's the dwarf fucks that are the real threat when they roll up the greenskins.

greenskins and vampire counts can usually outswarm them, if not just throw multiple armies at them and incur as much damage as you can.

empire can usually go toe-to-toe with greatswords and muskets. demigryphs and steam tanks if need-be.

dwarves you just park your ass and wait for them to be out of position and jump them, or have them fuck up by attacking you on a map where you have a hill and artillery.

>the break into a building corner that cant be exited
>two whole units get methodically slaughtered by long beards

Seriously this, I'm about 150 turns into my empire campaign and there has been absolutely no conflict between me and sylvania. They don't LIKE me but they're not eager to fight me either. We've just been in this state of perpetual and mutual respect since the start.

God damnit, I've started to get so many god damn waaaghs I've had to declare war on people just to get them out of my territory because they keep overwhelming everything with their sheer numbers. How do you even lose with orks free death stacks and infinite money?

Nigga, they had shitty rockets that couldn't hit anything past twenty feet reliably, and were mostly used for intimidation.

Hellcannons home.

Do you have something that frees up your camera? I love to take Med 2 screenshots but I always feel far away.

Nope

>be the Empire
>begin my efforts to purge the undead filth from the lands
>not very high up in the building/tech trees yet
>get Stirland to join a confederation so I have forward towns that I can resupply the front lines from
>the fucking moot is in ruins
>averland is about to be a nigger and steal my rightful clay
>send Frans and my Treasurer to go fix that shit
>Frans has his troops settle it
>the next turn some VC cunt comes up and attacks
>try and hold a line like I did when fighting those secessionist faggots
>crumbles almost immediately
>Frans dies almost instantly once the sea of zombies and skeletons wash over him
>give up hope that the battle could be won
>everyone dead or fleeing
>except one unit
>the fucking low level treasurer is doing his last valiant stand against the undead
>keeps fighting, health is barely touched
>battle ends, treasurer has a little less than half his health left
>motherfucker single handedly killed over 100 units according to a steam achievement
The weird part is that he had mostly campaign skills, while Frans had battle skills.

Does kemmler get the spirit leech magic tree?

Vamp Counts are weird. Sometimes they declare war on you before turn 10 when you've got 3 provinces between you and they can't even reach you without dying from attrition, sometimes they just stay in Sylvania all game.

I hope you vampires are using your Vargheists to absolutely shred the enemies on the walls in defensive sieges.

Did he have the Seed of Rebirth?

That thing is absolutely broken against hordes.

>siege settlement
>defenders sally out before I choose to attack
>hostile reinforcing army will enter the battlefield
>from behind my deployment zone
why

reinforcements worked fine in previous games

no

Siege reinforcements are totally fucking broken

I had the ai spawn inside my walls

Why is Kemmler so shit?

I think he might have, this happened a couple days ago so I'm not 100% sure. the name does sound familiar.

That's actually kinda good because it means there's a reason to take a vamp hero

With Gelt he fucking negates the point in taking a wizard whilst his bonus is for wizards

>not having all three empire wizards in each army

Reinforcements are bullshit.

Sometimes they trivialise maps, because you can crush one enemy before they get a chance to do anything and sometimes they place one of your armies in an incredibly vulnerable position.

Well it kinda makes sens if your whole army defends only a wall and the other guys come through the opposite end of the settlement

>enemy attacks
>they just sit there on a hill
>no time limit
huh

I've been playing too much undead, when I play empire I just throw units at the enemy to tire them out. Like I don't even care anymore, I'll just conscript more soldiers. Perhaps war has hardened my heart.

Really enjoying Warhammer despite the dumbing down they did to the game. The agent spam doesn't seem TOO bad so far despite the complaints. My only 3 gripes so far are:

The AI seems to cheat much more blatantly than before. I've seen enemy armies reinforce from 2-4 units to 15+ while in enemy territory suffering from attrition where the player would have no means to do so. As well hero units seem to respawn pretty much instantly with more or less a full stack.

Not being able to manage garrisons and hire armies without a lord. Didn't like it in Rome 2 and don't like it here.

And coinciding with issue 1 orcs are an absolute nightmare to play against. They have insanely fast respawns and don't seem to have any sort of limit on their armies or waaagh! stacks at all. I have one of their towns totally isolated and yet somehow it has managed to spawn 5 fucking waaagh stacks from 1 army despite them never moving or fighting at all. This is made worse in that they still spawn armies and waaagh! armies in absolute abundance down in the badlands while doing so. It's all from the Greenskins faction and I have an agent at the lone town and haven't seen anything move in via underway.

Also diplomacy kind of sucks but that could just be because I'm playing vamp lords/

ALRIGHT I FOUND THE CURE TO CHAOS MARUADER CANCER

Outriders. I never used them, but they actually distract the dogs and marauders really well.

bitch they had Chinese cannons too. Also which Mongols are we talking about?

diplomacy is fine, vamp lords just have noone to interact with because everyone hates them

Why do skeletons walk so damn funny

>Not being able to manage garrisons and hire armies without a lord
Total war warhammer is my first total war, but as someone who grew up with HoMM3 this right here is especially jarring.

Vamp counts for the most part have really shitty units if their lord isn't present. I fought off a 2000+ vc army with four units of zombies to meat shield and then a wraithcairn and two blood knights that assassinated their lords. My lord then proceeded to solo what was left of the entire enemy army.

Outriders are better at shooting than Handgunners and Crossbows and more mobile. Why do you never use them?

Spook factor, they all look like they actually are just bones reanimated by a necromancers spell.

>Turn 42
>28 settlements
>4 armies
>3 Waaaghs
>+4k gold per turn

The Greenskins are ridiculously easy to play as.

I think their fightyness level goes up if they're in a raiding stance.

Would explain how they keep having Waaaghs.

It seems like AI usually won't attack reinforcements unless the reinforcements attack them first, even if the reinforcements spawn behind them.

probably because they route as soon as someone touches them. Even handgunners will stand and put up a fight.

bitch those cannons were shitty

more like the grenade launchers the empire uses than actual artillery

whenever i play legendary i just get my shit kicked in from the inside. my main province rebels while i have a garrison of 20 and a boss tent. that said, on hard it was sort of trivial how fast i expanded

Do people actually control armies larger than 20?

I just can't keep up with any more, especially when facing the faster factions like the Norse. I'm taking tons of casualties from units wasting time because I can't micro them as fast as the AI does.

If anyone is up for a REAL challenge, try playing Mousillon with faction unlocker. Everyone hates you and is stronger than you, and when you finally manage to get one enemy ready to be taken down they will just be confederated by Brettonnia. They might actually be impossible.

I figured that way. Glad to hear it though. Surprisingly the best alliance I have is with the last free dwarf subfaction that hasn't been subjugated by the Dwarfs faction. They give me currency when I need it, they attack anyone I ask, they actually help during chaos incursions.

I'm at a horrible stalemate with the orcs right now so I think I might boot up a dwarf game to check them out. I do really like the VC style of having mostly mediocre units dealing heavy morale damage though. Makes for some surprising wins via routing.
I understand for some. Vamp armies seem to be animated pretty much by magic (but then how do the garrisons work without a lord?) but its just really annoying to have a single raiding army come in and plunder the entire province before you can sally forth with a lord from the frontlines.