What did he do wrong

Good general, excellent administrator, will restore the Roman Empire back to greatness

He was the last hope for Rome, but the christcucks took him down because earthly empires are no good.

Who is this man?

Julian the "Apostate" aka last pagan emperor and hope for Rome

There was no real difference between Julian's paganism and Christianity. It was monotheistic, had a church, --- all the "secondary" gods were pretty much the same thing as saints. Really just a matter of words to reconcile the old aristocracy.

>the christcucks took him down because earthly empires are no good.
Actually it was more the senate being douchebags again.
You have to remember that the senate had a lot of material office in Christianity after Constantine pushed it farther and farther into the realm of Roman government.
Julian tried to switch back to paganism to prevent theocratic power of Christians from growing in a sense, but power was too vested in it by then for him to not step on a lot of toes he shouldn't have.

In a way, he was sort of right regardless of his actual feelings of Christianity or paganism; after Rome falls and Europe gets going, the Pope gets to be Emperor in his own right and command Christendom to essentially go kill specific people as he wills.

> What did he do wrong
He died, quite stupidly and unnecessarily.

>Tfw Christians got BTFO by his arguments and couldn't refute them so they buried his works and besmirched his name
>Tfw we will never read Against The Galilaeians because Christcucks got so butthurt they didn't transcribe it

Apostacy

More like it was so atrocously stupid they burned to spare the world of it's autism
But don't worry, you'll be with him in Hell soon enough.

>the Pope gets to be Emperor in his own right and command Christendom to essentially go kill specific people as he wills
Never happened.

>y-yeah, I'm n-not quoting it b-because it's stupid

UTTERLY BTFO

>But don't worry, you'll be with him in Hell soon enough.

stop larping

FUCKING NAZARENES GET OUT OF MY EMPIRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What is the inquisition?

t. an increasingly nervous man.

Not what you think it is.

Even the Christians themselves admitted that its arguments were simply too strong to deal with, hence why Cyril chose not to repeat all of them in his attempted refutation.

>But don't worry, you'll be with him in Hell soon enough.

We all go to Hades, friend.

A better example would be the Crusade against the Cathars. Though that wasn't against a specific person.

What about Jan Hus? And by extension the church's attempts to stamp out the Hussites. The church literally promised Jan Hus safe passage and then executed him because "lol promises with heretics don't count."

And the Cathars, of course.

>burning heretics in reformation
>cathars
>lollards
>hussites

seriously papal apologists can fuck right off, the catholic church was brutal and batshit insane for hundreds and hundreds of years, popes included.

Was it not? Why don't you enlighten me.

MRGA

t. abu cletus al cornfuckstani

Cathars were the tumblrites of their time, papists did us all a favor

I must say that I'm a Julianboo, or was, Mr Apostate always had its admirers due to being le last pagan emprah and due to having a lot of texts written by him, he was loved in enlightenment era, loved by gibbon etc. Basically another meme emperor after Aurelius. I read his works, translated in Loeb volumes, I read few scholarly works, (Julian and His Gods, and one conference paper collection concerning his writings can't remember the name) I genuinely believe that he was not a good emperor and lived in the delusional la la land.
>subject himself to some fucked up complex form of neo-platonism which weird out even pagans
>misogopon "beard hater" is literally a neck-beard defense "I am le smarter than thou, ye plebes with chad like tastes"
>try to emulate "le old principate" While ignoring the reality, basically pissing people off. Tell everyone he will answer all petitions directly, have dozens of egyptian ships come towards his direction due to this, forbid them from entering the harbor.
>try to score street-cred fast, acting rashly on a military campaign, literally die on a a-retreat b-skirmish, a fucking skirmish

Julian was an idealist, a dreamer and a bookish guy who should never had power in the first place. Anyone who promotes "rule by intellectuals" should take heed of the fiasco of Julian the Apostate. By all means he was smart, and he would love (as youtuber historyscientist says) the title "Julian The Philosopher" but what made him lose at the end of the day was not a mere accident. His dumb idealism in politics, his fucked up intellectual views on hellenistic religion would be a problem if he had not met his end due to his rashness in the persian campaign.

Please respond, I'm very curious about his apologists, and how they defend this guy. He is a manifestation of a neckbeard who became president by accident.

Aurelian does not get enough love.

Recognize in your heart he is one of the top 3 emperors and you'll be saved by Sol Invictus.

Aurelian is consistently named in the top 10 best emperors in roman history. I'd say he gets plenty of love, at least amongst the people who are educated in the subject.

As I understand it, he made significant strides towards making the cities of the empire less dependent on the capital, and cutting down the size of Roman bureaucracy.

Which is absurd in it itself, centralization, not decentralization give their respective empires strength.

Some of his reforms were valid concerns, court was filled with sycophants and a barber should not have more influence just because he can talk with the emperor from time to time, but his cosplay of "noble participate of republic" would only cause trouble in the long run. Compare Julian to other rulers who made cuts and reforms but lacked the idealism-delusion, they knew they were a despot and acted like one. Julian knew he was a despot but he didn't wanted to be one, and ironically he used despotic measures to change this fact.