XCOM General - /xcg/

Snipers are Useful Edition

Previous Mission: News:

1)
Alien Hunters DLC has been released on PC alongside a large patch, notably including various MP fixes. It's finally released on Mac as well.
>xcom.com/news/en-dangerous-ruler-aliens-await-in-xcom-2s-alien-hunters-dlc

2)
user dug up some Shen's Last Gift SDK assets, MECs are confirmed along with a bunch of other leaks:
>imgur.com/a/Z5aWQ

3)
Long War Studios are working on five more mods for XCOM2.
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods

4)*NEW*
Julian Gollop is still working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/
vg247.com/2016/06/02/phoenix-point-first-screenshot/ *NEW*

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW STEAM COLLECTION, contains all Workshop-mods from the modlist:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689085703

MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 or so mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

/xcg/'s Image Library:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

Thread Theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=oElMOaepYSQ

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=49981
artstation.com/artwork/QzWl
tcrf.net/XCOM_2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

posting from previous thread for help

so i got the mod organizer that the pastebin recomended, but everytime i go to launch the game or just exit out from the launcher, i get an error. i don't have any mods loaded up for either time, just tyring to get it to run first at all. i have run the launcher from it's own folder with all the files that came with the download in a seprate folder, along with dropping everything into the same location as the files with the same name, but i still get the error.

there wasn't a readme that went with it, but is there a specific place that i have to put the files to get it to run smoothly?

pistols are useful

EW Base Defense >>>>>> Avenger Defense

\steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XCOM 2 Mod Launcher

what the fuck, getting this error with the mod launcher

this is my problem.

>Base assaults was easier then the mission leading up to it

install this
microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=49981

Sleep tight /xcg/

Night night

So what's your favorite bug /xcg/?

Closed doors with no windows on them sometimes having LoS through them.

Better than all the building walls and ceiling having LoS through them. On every mission.

Seriously haven't had a mission where this bug wasn't present, it wasn't this bad at launch.

>Psi panic something
>it panics and hunkers down
>Shoots at me anyways

Dancing corpses are pretty entertaining

The Avenger Defense is so fucking annyoing, jesus fucking christ fuck that mission

Having Psy-Panic crash the game in EW/Early LW. It's such a useful tool to keep a dangerous unit out for a turn or two yet the game just went 'NOPE.jpg' most of the time you tried to use it. Quite frustrating to say at least.

LoS problems come as a close second but sometimes I have been saved by some incredible Trick Shots not too different from that one Beagle's Sniper did in this previous stream so it kind of balances out.

Is xcg/ playing DOOM or something?

i will in a week

20th for cyclops eye mod when

21st for lamia tails instead of legs when

Never, you degenerates

It will be something if they do replace the Faceless with the Slime Girl.

>XCOM:MGQ
This makes me hard

Not quite

>it's a "salvo on sniper" episode

artstation.com/artwork/QzWl

>Lead Concept Artist - Firaxis Games

Now it all makes sense

Hello guys, I'm quite new to EW and I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to spend money and meld on building MEC Troopers (and the facility to build them). I briefly played EW before and absolutely hated MEC Troopers, I found them to be way too situational because of their lack of cover - I always had to keep them way behind my front line and I could only use them to clean out after my normal units did most of the work. Haven't used them for long though because I stopped playing, so maybe it was just because I wasnt used to the different playstyle of MEC Troopers yet.

Genetic modifications seem quite neat, especially for snipers, so I'll definitely get those. Don't want to invest into MEC Troopers if theyre not that great because I'd r ather spend my meld on gene mods.

Gene mods are great use em

I will, but that does not answer my question. Should I disregard MEC Troopers?

I personally found MECs to be amazingly good

No, git gud
MECs have some of the strongest abilities in the game, one that you get early on allows you to obliterate any cover at will, which is ridiculously good

PISTOLS
I
S
T
O
L
S

are worthless

Okay, I'll use both then.

Should I invest into MEC Troopers first, given they're more of a gamechanger than subtle changes to your soldiers which come with the gene mods?

Just found out that MECs have a skill called "One For All" which literally makes it a movable high cover shield for my troops. Is a defensive support MEC build viable? One of the things that bug me the most in XCOM is how some maps simply do not offer me high cover options for some encounters. It would be awesome to have a MEC trooper that just soaks up the damage and gives my troops a high cover option to hide behind and get further on the map.

They're very versatile, just don't expect them to be indestructible because as you've discovered, they can't take cover.

Man, we missed out on some awesome berserker shenanigans.

the fact that they gave the sectoid a mouth really ruined it

EXALT
X
A
L
T

I think they should've kept the mouth but they should've covered it with translucent skin like in the concept art.

And if we had a Sectoid commander he would have no mouth.

I found a random site talking about unused content and random stuff left in he sdk.

tcrf.net/XCOM_2

>the commander has some dialogue in the sdk

>Certain sounds from Enemy Unknown are still in the game, perhaps for testing. It's mostly confined to soldier voices but interestingly, MEC Trooper voices are leftover as well!
>Music from EU is also leftover, possibly before an actual original score for XCOM 2 was made.

Modded to be usable when

You could just turn the music off and play the xcom ost on youtube while you play or something.

That's not even close to the same thing user

>Can remove cover and then faceoff
Don't see the problem fâm.

that's a mighty niche situation right there my man

>/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):

I think this part in the OP should be deleted. It's mean and this general is too slow to be interrupted by some user asking about LW.

Nobody listens to it anyway

>berserker
>no plate
???

>I-it's mean!

>he doesn't get to energy weapons before any armor
Armor upgrades are for people who can't be careful

Is that from Persona?

by the time zerkers show up you should have both mag, gauss and plated

It was a legendary run and I went for guns and explosives first.

I'd say MEC first is your best bet, they open up so many options you didn't have before.

dead

Í think it's good because it underlines how helpful of a resource it is. It's easy to miss links that are staring you in the face the whole time with OPs - hopefully, this alleviates that.

>literally 40 seconds since last post
boy i bet you feel stupid now

meant for

Why do my woman have bald heads in 9/10 cases?

The ayys released A LOT of cancer when they invaded.

>reach mag and plated
>fun stops
why is it so lads? getting to t2 in eu made the game a lot more fun but for some reason I just don't feel the same about xcom2

Mag weapons just don't sound all that satisfying, especially the rifle and cannon. Plated armor is just kind of bland but the main issue is the complete lack of customization options.

>It's mean

>avatar shooting itself with psi-amp to make psi attacks happen

cannons are weak in general. EW cannons, barring the laser is very nice to look at. although the design is really nice.

Laser weapons, best weapons.

I hope they add a 4th weapon upgrade in the Shen dlc.

I dunno, EU ballistics were pretty damn meaty, especially the shotgun. Laser rifles were so much fun though I'll give you that.

>going on crusade and taking all their planets then purging it of all life, decolonizing them, before they can enter alliances
>as pacifist

They started it, the fucks.

You appear to be lost

>"Melee weapon for CLOSE RANGE"
>"We have to go fast"

Is Bradford a shitposter?

So what am I supposed to do in XCOM2 if the enemy takes indestructible cover?

Flank them

suppress and maunuver to flank4

Inconceivable in one turn.

>leave old thread yesterday
>drawfag comes in and says he will maybe deliver rare shields
Where you at mate ? I need to thank you

So?

Stack grenades until they die. You should have plenty, about 18 per mission.

Haven't you played XCOM2? If you can't kill the enemy on the turn after they activate, you're bound to lose someone.

Only if you have a shit squad comp and position

Doesn't matter much when you hunker down behind full cover, an officer is just going to negate half of that and then you're going to get shot three times, all of which are guaranteed crits if they land.

Thats not what happens though, I've had fights last 3 turns against officer pods and because I used the tools I had available I didn't even take damage.

You just sound shit at anything that isn't spamming attacks.

That sounds like utter bullshit luck but good for you buddy.

Its not bullshit luck, the Officer mark ability isn't that big of a buff, if you can't deal with a single enemy for one enemy turn then you're just shit at using the tools the game gives you.

>one enemy
What part of "get shot three times" did you not understand? If an advanced officer and 2 advanced troopers are all behind full indestructible cover, too far away for you to flank, the shit that you can do is pretty limited.

Now playing it slow and defensive is a solid option, except 90% of the missions are on a timer and you don't have time to do that kind of shit, so you're double fucked in these kinds of situations.

And don't even try to come up with an excuse like oh just use your fully leveled psi op lad.

Yeah, no.

>advent use one way containers to spy on people

lrn2defensiveplay

I bet you use half cover

I was referring to your original complaint of a single enemy but if its more than one then its just as easy to deal with.

Try flash bangs, try smoke, try suppression, try hunker down, try defensive protocol or try the myriad other defensive options the game gives you.

If you can't deal with a single pod shooting at you then you really need to just git gud. Although by the sounds of your complaints about timers you're an overwatch babby that can't deal with the game

>I was referring to your original complaint of a single enemy
When did I say that?
>Try flash bangs, try smoke, try suppression, try hunker down, try defensive protocol or try the myriad other defensive options the game gives you.
Flash bangs alone are nowhere near enough, still get shot through them a lot. Smoke is still broken isn't it? Suppression never does anything, the enemy just runs through it anyway since the AI in XCOM2 is hyper aggressive and I have never seen the reaction fire from suppression hit anything. Hunker down just means you pass the turn, which like I said is not usually an option when you're on a timed mission. Defensive protocol is not exactly the same since it only benefits a single soldier, rather than the entire group.

>git gud you're just a babby learn to play
Cool post.

It sounds like you're playing a different game tbqhwy f a m

>When did I say that?
I misread your original post

>Flash bangs alone are nowhere near enough, still get shot through them a lot
Then you're in shit cover

>Smoke is still broken isn't it
Not for months

>Suppression never does anything
It reduces their aim by quite a bit and even if they do run it will either hit them or they probably won't be able to hit you if you're in good cover

>Hunker down just means you pass the turn
Or maybe you use it smart and blue move to a better position and then Hunker down, you don't just hunker down everyone

>Defensive protocol is not exactly the same since it only benefits a single soldier
Why is your entire squad in a great line of sight and half cover for the ayys?

Seriously, learn to defensively play. If you're losing a guy every time an ayy is left alive you're just playing incredibly badly and relying on crutches.

You do know suppression doesn't apply after they run through it, right?

Yes, and if they're not hit by your reaction fire they shouldn't be hitting you from their new position

What makes you say that? AI shoots at full cover all the time and the chances of them hitting you are not 10% or some shit.

Except if you actually have your guys in good positions and set ups it will be 10% or less.