/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Space Collab Edition.

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mYBITTBluoE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

see

second for horrifying OP pic. Fuck you.

If you sit with your back facing an open area you deserve whatever happens.

these threads have gotten to be unbearably shit in the past few days

I don't know if that's him

whenever you lose hope, remind yourself

Why didn't you put the collab user's info/questions/email in the OP?

You know when you go to like google or ebay or whatever and make a typo in the url and type sometigle like gogel.com and it puts you on one of those generic scam sites? That the is the vibe that agdg website gives me visually.

Based Kamina.

I need ideas for a multiplayer game

Probably because it is a scam, much like most of what /agdg/ tries.

Rude. If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all.

Extremely simple pokemon style fighting game

You get preset characters. There's only a very limited number of status moves. Attacks are all straight forward, no funny business.

Would be easy to do and wow a lot of people since battle engines catch a lot of people up in their complexity. It's also stupid easy to network since neither client gives a fuck what the other is seeing since it's all endstates in the end

Keima.

sniper dueling

Fuck I feel so retarded right now. I even have the manga in my room.
I should go reread it.

Half-Life 2: DeathMatch: Throw A Toilet At Your Friend Today: Convex Revengeance

Can't wait for collab jam.
Pic related, my future partner

Thanks for your thoughts user.

I agree, and I'm not going to be scrapping them entirely. The microgames you highlighted I've always found pretty fun too. I think I'll just be:

- Making sure all the microgames are fun
- Adding "skill tiers" that determine the complexity of the microgame. All the basic skills will be the lowest tier, and just use an action input (like the shrinking circle thing). Above that will be "microgame" skills. Above that will be maybe one "ultimate" skill per character that has a full-on minigame, huge effect and a long charge up before you can use it (like the Star Power bar in Paper Mario).

...or something like that.

At the moment I'm focusing on designing interesting enemies that only use the basic melee combat system (like that one I posted the other day), and getting the core RPG mechanics working (items, equipment, stats, etc). I'll come back to skills later

I think I tried that and it still looked weird. But I'll have another go later, thanks.

Here's more progress
I realize the gun sprite looks stupid when you're at 1 ammo. But since this is all placeholders, I'ma leave it for now.

I planned to have a boss level demo out this weekend, so my next thing to do is that. I'll leave the other UI stuff for later.

I have some boss ideas set up. I'll put them into a paste bin and see what you guys think I should do first.

Whenever I get stumped and start to dislike Game Maker, I think of your game and get inspired again. So thanks!

Even if the microgames are dirt easy and offer nothing besides taking a bit of time, I still think they add a huge value to the gameplay.

I had planned to have my RPG have mini games for everything before I scrapped the idea, but I had planned to have the minigames have things in them that change the abilities power and bonus effects.

>Cool! how does the song importing work?

Im using a unity extension which does all of the raw audio analysis of any mp3.

im just making the notes match the various frequency onsets it detected and adjusting parameters to try and match the beat better.

This

To me the worst part of Earthbound combat is unpredictable RNG based on stats. Giving the player some control of misses (and maybe even crits if you have those) is very satisfying

why he has a horn growing out of his leg?

Guys, what's a good recommended VN Engine for a complete newbie that wants to make something inspired by those old Sierra adventure games? Just so I can have a general idea of what to expect.

>vn
>sierra adventure
you dont know what any of these words mean. use unity, coward.

>VN Engine
>those old Sierra adventure games
?

...can you even get through the 3 ball gate at the end?

I like your background.

I mean an exploration game with a VN structure. I considered Unity, I was just wondering if there's something usually more recommended for this kind of thing.

Assuming you're not trolling, RenPy is the gold standard for VNs, but VNs are so simple that you could make one as a series of HTML pages if you really wanted.

If you mean an actual adventure game about clicking objects in order like Day of the Tentacle or whatever, Gamemaker or Construct should suffice. Stay away from 3d engines -- unless you're using 3d assets, it's not worth the extra overhead and hassle.

>wanted a collab jam since forever
>now that it's happening I'm too scared to participate
What if nobody wants to collab with me? What if I get too busy to come through and disappoint my team mates? what if my work is too shit and brings down the game?
I can do a bit of everything (except music) but I can't do anything really well.

I think it's his pocket inside out

Thanks, I'll look into those.

So the jam is collab?

When does it start?
When does it end?

This is why random collab should be mandatory

>diapers
gross

>do u want usable free art
Rather than asking people want art they want, why don't you instead make the sprites for the game you want and ask a programmer to make it?

I'll never understand why artists don't go that way first. If you're scared of them running away with your arts then only share incomplete or sketchy lines sprites firrst, they are more than enough to get a demo running.

retract this

because the game i want to make is a sandbox platformer and no one finds that interesting

So that's what that drawing was based on. No wonder it looked so weird

Yeah, it's super easy to. I just spammed into death.
I actually just updated the meatball enemies so they don't insta kill you, but they still pretty much do.

Now they do damage per second whenever you're inside them, so if they just graze you for a fraction of a second, you may not instadie

What drawing?

Describe your game in more detail.

>interesting
There are countless "mario/megaman clone but with a cute girl" that people are playing on a daily basis.
If you have cute graphics and cute girls you will find people. The real question would be if you really want to make your game a reality, and if the guy you're teaming with really want to make the game a reality too.

>do you want to team user?
Right now I have serious trust issues with this thread sorry. This is why I went the other way and just use free or available things, make something and go over the creator with a "Hey look I made this with your stuff, good shit".
I can't believe I'm going to say that but places like reddit or tumblr are better places to collab.

your art is v. cute user

How would I go about temporarily slowing down the action on screen in GM:S (bullet time I suppose?) without using delta time? The room is 60fps if that matters.
The only thing I can think of is changing room_speed variable in code blocks where the bullet time is required/expected.

how about slowing down the speed at switch everything moves.

The best way I could describe it is to show you.. I've wanted to make a clone of a game called "Everybody Edits" where levels are created and shared among users. It's a sandbox / platformer where characters can be manipulated by physics with various ways to transverse the user made levels. There is NO crafting and no enemies, just hazards.

thank you!

>crypt of anubis
I wonder if there is a market for necro furry...

>I wonder if there is a market for necro furry...
Have you never been to fchan?

>just got to sleep
>calls from drunk gf telling her to send pictures of my ass
>can't get back to sleep

might as well do some gamedev.

I'm pretty busy at the moment. But if I do complete this project I'll post it on the website or in the general.
Any other artist want a game made?

i need an idea for the next big multiplayer .io meme game

To that guy making that 3D spaceship building simulation PvP thing.

Implement mirror mode. NOW.

Wasted so much time making trash today. Finally I managed to make this, which I think looks kind of nice.

you are a dickbutt, and if you stick your dick in someone else's butt, you take control of theirs and they become chained together

you're trying to chain together as many as you can

youtube.com/watch?v=mYBITTBluoE

that's actually hilarious, and I'm glad it exists already

I'd be willing to just help with programming on others projects.
I can probably write just about any code for any project.

I'd rather to not have to install all the garbage you need for every project though. (love2d or other lightweigths would be preferred)
I'd be willing to.

I haven't been more disgusted by videogames before honestly. 100% serious. All the newgrounds shit I've watched. All the poop and all kinds of shit I've seen. All the boring sarcastic games. Pedo shit, racist shit, (literal) weebshit.

This is worse than sourc.e

no need to be upset friend

Relax, it's just a game.

Is that what your uncle told you when you were 6?

>getting this mad about a videogame with dicks in it

it's OK to be gay.

No. Shut up. This is not good.
I don't care about when gays keep it to themselves. I'm not particularly homophobic in the non-liberal way. But you release this kind of shit on youtube and they reach 30k views without it being taken down it's pretty fucking clear you're being treated differently.

And it's not even erotic. It's provocative. Get the fuck out you fucking pride fags. You're probably doing homosexuals a disservice by doing shit like this.

>projecting

"i'm not homophobic but.."

just shut up. The rest of us arent threatened by it because we're not secretly ashamed of our homolust. It's just a stupid game, who the fuck cares?

>Responding to ↻
wew

that video doesn't even have anything to do with gay things, it's just a bunch of dicks penetrating butts

people these days, geez

i mean it wouldnt make much sense to have a dick and a vagina connected

>Have to study for exams
>All I want to do is dev
>Normally I never feel like devving
Why does this shit always happen

Should add. The homophobes have homolust meme is easily explained by the fact that people who grow up feeling guilt in say a religious family become more extreme.

You know how to make it better.
All players are asigned randomly male or female characters.
One of them is the rapist but only that player knows. All players have a small field of view around them. You loose points each time you get raped, and rapist wins those points. After a few seconds the characters are randomly reassigned, again no player knows who the rapist is until is being raped, and has no way to tell the other players.
After every player had their turn being the rapist you get a scoreboard to see who won.

Sierra games were more point and click adventures than visual novel. You're better off with something like Gamemaker or unity.

>I'd rather be gay
but you're already gay

I'm at the other end.
>finally done with exams - time for dev!
>rate of dev plummets

Stuff can now be grabbed, carried and thrown.
And now to get the gun equipping working

vidya art tb.h

the preview made me think you had garfield in your game for a sec

nice progress though.

I think we used the same soccerball texture.

Everybody Edits is a pretty fun concept. I also remember a similar game, which let people outright draw rooms and connect them with other people's rooms. Forgot the name though, and the server went offline eventually.
All in all, I'd totally code your game if I wasn't a shitty GM baby programmer.

Nice Space Jam Jam progress

Guys I'm just going to use a free skeleton asset rather than making an entire skeleton myself to look the same but worse

am I gonna get bullied?

yes

oh no

It's possible, i just grabbed some from google.
It's really annoying when i google textures and the best ones at the top are always the paid-for watermarked crap
Thanks, it's not really for the jam, it's just a coincidence that i used a poorly textured sphere as a basketball.

Me likey. Will it reflect the main character?

>tfw that constant massive drive to feature creep
no brain, no stop it, it will just destroy the project again ;_;

Thanks - glad you like it!
I would like to have real mirrors, but that'd be the programmer's task. I'll discuss it with him.

that will take one day

one week later, its starting to look greater than i imagined but im only 60% done

I hate feature creep, like one month of constant developing and i suddenly realize it's all just unconnected gimmicks all around with no core mechanics implemented because i just jumped from one creeped feature to another

I haven't followed these threads in a while, but does anyone remember that game with the flashlight and dog? There was a blog I think but I don't have the link anymore.

>failed dev comes back and thinly veiledly tries to find out of anyone remembers his game
kek, every time

>thinly veiledly

that's some ugly as fuck english

No you fucking hick, it's grammar avant-garde.

where is your soundcloud senpai?

Can't you read? music is the only thing I can't do at all.

How do you maintain your motivation? I always get some work done and then lose all hope when i realize that nobody will likely even play my game in the end and all that work will be for nothing

Frequent masturbation.